Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Leave Class A amps on / off

I would typically leave my class AB stereo amp on a good portion of the week, say Wed-Sun (I leave DAC and Pre on all the time).

I just recently purchased a pair of XA100.5 mono's (yeah!) and am wondering what my regimen with these types of amps should be. I'm guessing others with similar amps don't leave them on all the time due to class A current being full "on" all the time/electric bill? Thoughts, suggestions?

I have only had these a week and have been powering them on 1hr before I listen and then powering off at night. Is the constant on/off not recommended or should they be ran similar to AB, dunno?
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Re: Leave Class A amps on / off

I would agree with your turning the amps on an hour before listening and then turn them off when you're done. I don't see the need to have them on any more than that unless you're using them to heat your house or you own stock in the local power company.
    Doug

Super Moderator

I had XA100.5 amps (as well as other class A Pass amps) and my listening habits were/are a little different. They get turned on when I come home from work and off the next mid-morning if I was done listening. I work second shift so I'd listen into the wee hours of the morning and part of the next day, then certainly off before I leave the house. Weekends were different. Typically on from Friday night and off by Monday morning barring any time away from the house. Never on when not home and always in a well ventilated room/system.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I own a Pass class AB amp which runs at 126 degrees. It heats up my small sound room nicely. I used to turn it on when I got up in the morning and off at bedtime. While the amp was heating up the room, the air conditioner was working to cool it down. My electric bill was costing me an additional $30 per month. Since there were some days I never got in the stereo room, and the amp needs no more than 2 hours of warm-up to sound good, I decided to save $ and turn the amp on two hours before any serious listening. I just wish my tubed preamp performed at it’s best after only two hours of warm-up.

Other concerns are lightening storms, power brown outs and spikes. There were times I was out of the house when a storm would occur. I would rush home to turn my system off.
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    I would agree with your turning the amps on an hour before listening and then turn them off when you're done. I don't see the need to have them on any more than that unless you're using them to heat your house or you own stock in the local power company.
    Yea, the warm up portion I'm sure varies from amp to amp and have personally always found leaving my rig on pretty much all the time sounds better than not. Being new to using class A I'm curious to hear thoughts/experience on this and if prolonged heat is "bad" or maybe the thermal element is part of the design and are meant to stay "on" as well as the wear and tear due to the in-rush of current when turning on etc.. Again just curious

These don't give off anymore noticeable heat in so far as the room heating up, at least I cannot tell. I have a large space and yes the heatsinks are warm but not at all to some stories I have read on some class A amps
    Main:
    Room: Dedicated 25 x 14 x 8 treated room | Computers (headless in utility room): Wkst #1 Ubuntu running lifetime ROON server. High end wkst #2 High end wkst running HQE image | Network rack (in utility room): Managed Fiber Switch, QNAP NAS | Endpoint: Fiber to SONORE OpticalRendu w/ LPS, Sbooster USB vbus2 |DAC: Lampi Lite7, Holo Audio S3 KTE, Aqua La Scala MKII Optologic | Pre: Atma-Sphere MP-3 Mk3.3 Pre | Amps: Pass XA100.5 Mono's | Speakers: Revel Ultima Studio2 (Townshend seismic posiums) with Dual PSA X15 sealed subs | Isolation: Components on custom roller bearings + compression springs | Cables: Wireworld Platinum USB / Analysis Plus PC / Gotham 4/4 XLR / AQ spkr / Revelation audiolabs I2s | Server Streamer: Aqua LinQ using HQP modules > I2s to Aqua La Scala

Office: Win10 wkst with Spotify or ROON controller > VDAC-II > VLINK 192 > Yamaha RX integrated > Polk audio signature Monitors >12" sub

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I had XA100.5 amps (as well as other class A Pass amps) and my listening habits were/are a little different. They get turned on when I come home from work and off the next mid-morning if I was done listening. I work second shift so I'd listen into the wee hours of the morning and part of the next day, then certainly off before I leave the house. Weekends were different. Typically on from Friday night and off by Monday morning barring any time away from the house. Never on when not home and always in a well ventilated room/system.
    That makes sense and is kind of the routine I'll probably use for now at least - turn on when I get home if I know I have some time to listen and prob do the Fri-Sun thing.

I should take a vid of the power meter as they are being turned on just for fun. Wouldn't indicate/tell much I'm sure, unless its something like Clark Grizwald Christmas lights
    Main:

Super Moderator

Ha!

If I thought there was a chance that I could not have a serious listen, I didn’t turn them on. I do admit that even now, I have music playing if the amps were/are on. I’d even have the television on with the sound off just to be able to hear my music.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    I own a Pass class AB amp which runs at 126 degrees. It heats up my small sound room nicely. I used to turn it on when I got up in the morning and off at bedtime. While the amp was heating up the room, the air conditioner was working to cool it down. My electric bill was costing me an additional $30 per month. Since there were some days I never got in the stereo room, and the amp needs no more than 2 hours of warm-up to sound good, I decided to save $ and turn the amp on two hours before any serious listening. I just wish my tubed preamp performed at it’s best after only two hours of warm-up.

Other concerns are lightening storms, power brown outs and spikes. There were times I was out of the house when a storm would occur. I would rush home to turn my system off.
    Thanks for sharing. I, as I'm sure most do, track weather conditions and unplug everything when storms are imminent. In MN where I'm located, its really only portions of summer that are "extreme" to where I have to keep a close eye.

Since "audio-season" is wrapping up (winter, no yard work, winter hibernation = more listening time), it will be interesting to see if these amp pose any temp issues during the summer (I suspect not)
    Main:

Do you consider 'standby' the same as 'off'..... or 'on'?

Super Moderator

Standby is still off for me. Breaker in the back always on and switch/button on front for on/off.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ha!

If I thought there was a chance that I could not have a serious listen, I didn’t turn them on. I do admit that even now, I have music playing if the amps were/are on. I’d even have the television on with the sound off just to be able to hear my music.
    I do do that too and my wife finds it weird, esp. if I’m also reading at the same time. lol

Well FWIW I'm really loving these! Wowza. System + room dependent for sure as most things are, but seriously killer amps. Now being a sorta of newbie (compared to many) I have been baby stepping my rig.

New Ultima's in the fall and over a course of wknd listening to Larry's X250 in my system a couple months ago, I really liked what I was hearing. I almost pulled the trigger on a int60, but wanted the flexibility of a Pre etc... so now a pair of friggin mono's lighting up my rig, pretty cool. Budget blown, um yeah. These will stay at least for a while.

However, now I need cables as I had to move my components to side wall. So i need pair of ~15ft or so of XLR's (currently using mic cables from my recording rig). I can't/won't do $1k cables, no way. I know cables are a can 'O worms, and 15-20ft isn't long for XLR's but are there any things to consider and or recommendations?
    Main:

Super Moderator
    Last edited by joeinid; March 16, 2018 at 08:56 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Cost effective solutions for cable at that length, especially if you are comfortable making them or know someone who is, are Dueland or Belden 8402. There is a guy on Ebay making balanced IC's out of Dueland 16 or 29 ga. but so far only 1 meter lengths. You can contact him and see if he will do 5 meter pairs. I have been using two pair for several months.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Joe

What's the make and quality on those XLR connectors?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Jack,

I have the ones from BTPA and really like them. I don't remember the connectors but they seem great. I can take a look when I get home. Take 5 Audio cables look interesting but never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

What's the make and quality on those XLR connectors?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Any sound differences you hear from the Dueland's?

Super Moderator

I've been using the Dueland between the Luxman and the Dags. I'll need to swap them out for the 8402 and listen.

Any sound differences you hear from the Dueland's?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks guys. I'm actually using a pair of 8402 RCA's that I got from BTA. I was thinking of getting those, Neotech NEI-3004 (Takefive) or Belden 1800F for the XLR's. Ooy.

I know of the cable co lending program and that might be option, but at this length everything is crazy expensive.
    Main:

Super Moderator

I also have Neotech speaker cable and think it's great too. I was thinking about trying the Neotech interconnects too.

I have both XLR and RCA Belden 8402 and was using the RCA 8402 with the LTA MZ2 with wonderful sounds coming out.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. I may just order a pair from BTA and try them. The shipping from Take 5 is a bit out of line in my opinion. Especially when compared to Parts Connexion who are not that far away from them.

Super Moderator

For the RCA, I ordered the better connector. It's secure and holds great. I think they only offer one XLR connector but it's more than adequate.

Thanks Joe. I may just order a pair from BTA and try them. The shipping from Take 5 is a bit out of line in my opinion. Especially when compared to Parts Connexion who are not that far away from them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I've got a pair coming from BTA so will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post
    I would typically leave my class AB stereo amp on a good portion of the week, say Wed-Sun (I leave DAC and Pre on all the time).

I just recently purchased a pair of XA100.5 mono's (yeah!) and am wondering what my regimen with these types of amps should be. I'm guessing others with similar amps don't leave them on all the time due to class A current being full "on" all the time/electric bill? Thoughts, suggestions?

I have only had these a week and have been powering them on 1hr before I listen and then powering off at night. Is the constant on/off not recommended or should they be ran similar to AB, dunno?
    Unless you like recapping your amplifiers often i would not keep any hot running highly biased
    amp on all the time.

Regards

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

As to speaker cables, Teo Liquid cables must be auditioned! Pricey, but IMHO, worth it.

The original question (warm-up)- leave them on 24/7 if your budget and eco conscience allow, otherwise on in the morning, off at bedtime.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    As to speaker cables, Teo Liquid cables must be auditioned! Pricey, bit IMHO, worth it.

The original question (warm-up)- leave them on 24/7 if your budget and eco conscience allow, otherwise on in the morning, off at bedtime.
    I would say the same if i sold amplifiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by MtnHam View Post
    As to speaker cables, Teo Liquid cables must be auditioned! Pricey, but IMHO, worth it.

It must be a state of mind or something - knowing these are just constantly “on” (class A) vs AB.

Kinda like my earlier reference to Clark Grizwald and watching the meter spin around lol. Maybe just have to get used that concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Main:

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Unless you like recapping your amplifiers often i would not keep any hot running highly biased
    amp on all the time.

Regards
    Yea that was sort of the reason for my question. And no I’m not in the market to recap Leave Class A amps on / off

Certainly not a new question and surely this has been debated for a long time. From my experience/research, most end users as well as EE’s would say leave “it” on 24/7.

U won’t wander into many rec studio and find any components powered off ever. Power/util bill is irrelevant in those circumstances and more so, they want to be ready at any given point to record etc..even still the main point is wear and tear on electronics is lessened being on all the time. But I digress Leave Class A amps on / off

However being class A is different, that was the crux of my quandary Leave Class A amps on / off

Main:

As noted above, some Class AB amps are heavily biased into Class A and hence stay quite warm/hot at idle. I'm less concerned about the electric bill than the wear and tear on the amp, an hour or so to warm up to achieve best performance not being a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Swisstrips View Post
    Yea that was sort of the reason for my question. And no I’m not in the market to recap Leave Class A amps on / off

Certainly not a new question and surely this has been debated for a long time. From my experience/research, most end users as well as EE’s would say leave “it” on 24/7.

U won’t wander into many rec studio and find any components powered off ever. Power/util bill is irrelevant in those circumstances and more so, they want to be ready at any given point to record etc..even still the main point is wear and tear on electronics is lessened being on all the time. But I digress Leave Class A amps on / off

However being class A is different, that was the crux of my quandary Leave Class A amps on / off

Studios recap and refurbish their stuff fairly often , so yes some do leave stuff on all the time but only the solid booked ones, most dont ...

Regards

Jack,

I have the ones from BTPA and really like them. I don't remember the connectors but they seem great. I can take a look when I get home. Take 5 Audio cables look interesting but never tried them.

I have a pair of the BTPA's and like them. A friend of mine uses the Take 5's and loves them. These Belden 8402 cables add nothing and take away almost nothing. They do tame a bit of sibilants and sound better than my Cardas Parsecs and way better than a cheap pair of Bluejean XLR's. The BTPA XLR connectors are copper.

I don't leave my X250 on. I turn it on about 15 to 30 min before listening. It certainly sounds the best after 45-60 minutes but at 15min I am getting 90% of its best sound. The difference is not dramatic though. Besides, leaving it on without music playing, it uses 225 watts. I can only imagine what those monos are using at standby.
    Last edited by Mechnutt; March 18, 2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Wow, lots of spelling errors, was too tired
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

The KSA200 pulled 1100 watts at idle ,

Super Moderator

I would equate the treatment of Class A solid state amps to vacuum tube amps. On when home and listening, off when out, and judicious on/off cycles to minimize thermal stress. Otherwise just enjoy the music.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Even off, my amps stay in some type of idle power state. I do turn them on Thursday night so they will be ready to rock Friday/Saturday. They get turned off Sunday until the next Thursday.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

My Vitus has AB and A settings. If necessary I leave it in AB and then switch to A for serious listenings. In AB, it is hardly warm. I like this feature.

I leave my Progression monos on normally. If I know I won't listen for a day or two then I put them into standby. They are barely warm to the touch when operating. I have left other SS amps on for extended periods of time with no serious detriment to it or the capacitors. When I had tubes, they were shut off when the listening session was over. If I owned class A I would monitor them after long periods of running as they do run hot. If hot to the touch that is too hot! I remember when working at my old fire station, I chuckle as the radio dispatch and PA equipment there are on 24/7 and 365 days a year!
    Source component-Esoteric K-01X
    Preamp-
    Audio Research Reference 10
    Amplifier- ​D'Agostino Progression monoblocks
    Speakers-
    Wilson Audio Maxx 3
    Isolation stand-HRS SXR
    Cables-Transparent Reference speaker and Super I/C's.
    Power conditioning-Transparent Power Isolator and Transparent power cords
    Room treatment-Vicoustics

if i left my class a amp on 24/7 our house might not need much heating !! it would send my leccie bill into overdrive and its already high
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I have my XA160.5s on for 3-4 hours before I listen to them.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers