Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Taking a break, do you?

Many of us have jokingly made reference to being an audio addict, and many of us are.

I have noticed when compulsiveness takes over, usually something else is sacrificed, be it whatever.

Personally, I have never been addicted to anything for any long period of time, to me it’s a weakness and maybe that’s an addiction in of itself.

I have decided to take a break, not from music, but from critically playing my system.

As of this writing, I have been away from my system, and turned it briefly on today for the first time in a while enjoying the music and the system it plays on.

Before today, I would compulsively wonder what my next costly upgrade would be.

So gonna trade some more isolated back of the head seating and listening for some additional time with my family and other interests, that includes music from other sources playing in the background.

So with all that, do you ever feel this way and “take a break”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Re: Taking a break, do you?

I took a nearly ten year sabbatical from all things audio (except the music) after a headlong, no holds bared jump off the deep end of high-end audio. selling my soul for the next 'upgrade' and sweating details, which looking back, weren't a good use of my time or money. I ended up selling off a 10,000+ LP collection in the process that also yielded a small fortune.

I couple things I learned along the way, the hardware is not nearly as important as the music (tangible media). I also don't recommend selling off the bulk of ones music collection because you will want it someday and it will cost you much more to buy it back than what you sold them for, not to mention the time I wasted searching for lost loved ones! (cherished records)

I only turn my stereo on Thursday night so it will be ready for Friday/Saturday, and off on Sunday. I used to turn it on every night as soon as I got home, but not anymore.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

I hear you. For me music and the system are fun, enjoyment and relaxation. So personally there’s no feeling of having to do anything with it. But there’s another thing.

When deciding to buy a new cart, I was pondering about what the reviewers say, what new introductions are available and whether I should go with one of those currently hot, new introductions. And I concluded that’s nice information, but not the core of it.

When making my decision and ordering it yesterday, I decided to pick something very good that has been around for a while and is tested and proven, instead of the latest fad with unobtanium coating and a preciousyllium core. Reason being, vinyl has been around for a while and I felt the latest material evolutions provide changes rather on the surface than at the core.

In other words, my conscious decision was to turn away from the hype cycles magazines, reviewers and dealers are trying to push.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Audioshark

I play hockey three times a week (45 years playing this September). My kids activities, soccer, hockey, Taekwondo, skating, etc. keep me occupied, but I love to unwind at night for a listen. It’s so relaxing and decompressing after a busy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Ed,
    I am crazy schizo about this stuff. I have to separate the desire to improve and tweak my system with the more important desire to make great music a part of my life.

Two sides of the same coin I guess, but I try and mentally separate the equipment hobby from the music hobby. Trying to ferret out differences in components, speaker placement, cables, and music servers is a lot of work. I do it because it makes music more enjoyable for me.

I do take breaks, but they're not really intentional - they just happen.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Banned

I only take a break when I go to the farm for a few months during seeding and harvest. Other than that I use my system as much as possible.

Interesting observation is that every time I come back after extended listening to crappy radios and subpar systems while I'm away, the first listen to my system is "wow why did I think I need to improve any aspect of it?". Then weeks go by and you start hearing gremlins that aren't really there, I start researching and get back into the old what can I improve mentality. Sigh!

There was a time in my life nearly 39 years ago when I was so obsessive that I literally burned myself out on my sound system. I was at a point where I did not play music for joy, I played music as a research tool. There was no digital in those days, it was all vinyl and reel to reel tape. My mission was to dig for inner groove distortion, tonearm resonance, tracking error, cartridge alignment error, EQ impact, standing waves, wow and flutter, and on and on. Music did not relax me, it wound me up like a spring during my constant quest for audio gremlins I knew must be there, and I was damn well going to locate and solve every one of them. The experience drove me nuts.

After giving some thought to the fact that my sound system was making me crazy I made the decision to stop listening, not just for a day or two, but indefinitely. The experience of turning on my sound system just pissed me off. It wasn't fun anymore. So be it. I went nearly two months without music in my home, not even the radio. The experience brought me peace and gave me time to reflect on what I had been doing to myself. I realized the problem was not the sound system, it was me. I was an out of control, unable to relax and simply enjoy the music. It became so important to never stop tweaking the system while constantly searching for phantom anomalies that I no longer found listening to music pleasurable. Albums and tapes were only tools that served as a means to an end.

In the nearly two month period without music in my home I was going out at night several times a week and enjoying live music, mostly jazz in bars and small clubs around the city of Portland, Oregon. Portland had a fine live jazz music scene in clubs and bars all over the city in the late 70's. Enjoying live jazz gradually rekindled my excitement for music and how the experience of hearing music lifted my spirits and soothed my soul. Music is good.

One afternoon I came home, turned the sound system on, placed an album on the turntable, lowered the stylus in the groove, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening spinning LP's and enjoying the music. I mentally chastised myself each time my mind would slip from the music to the equipment. I did not want to return to being the crazed gear fanatic, I wanted to be present in the music. My sound system was sounding great, the music had me engaged, and I wanted to remain in that state of mind. From that day on I have been able to recognize both aspects of listening and have taught myself how to engage and disengage the gear critic at will. It was a bit of a struggle in the beginning but as time passed I gained control. I have never again experienced the same situation I faced when I walked away from that sound system almost four decades ago. I will never forget how happy I was to reconnect with music reproduction in my home. It is a truly positive aspect of my life that I hope never to be without again. These days I listen to music when I feel like it, enjoy the experience immensely, and don't give a second thought to the times I'm not in the mood or doing other things. And yes, I still put on my critical hat from time to time when considering improving system performance, but I know how to put that hat away when it isn't necessary.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I take a break all the time. But I always come back to music.

Attached Images Attached Images
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I find I don't listen to my 2 channel system as much as I should considering the time, effort and expense I have put into it. I am critical of it and the music I play on it though. I find I use my HT system much more the than my 2 channel system. I am not critical of that system at all. I just put in a movie, concert or Netflix and just hit the play button and done.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

yes , its an addiction and i have had quite a few sleepless nights over it in recent past . that big speaker you really can`t afford or that amp that just might not be right . my answer is not to have a smartphone and when i have to go away [which is fairly often] i have no access to fora or discussions and i just listen to a very simple system costing under 300 quid which sounds really nice . i then think why am i spending what would buy a new jaguar on a hifi !!!!
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I listen when the mood strikes me. Sometimes, especially during the summer months, it can be weeks between critical listening sessions. The way I see it, I paid for my system for the same general reason I paid for my fitness club membership—I paid not only to use it, but so that it is readily available for use when I want.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Taking a break, do you?