Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Aurender N10 - Stereophile A+ Recommended Component

The April 2018 edition of Stereophile is out. Great to see the Aurender N10 music server recommended as an A+ component. In the populated segment of digital music servers, this is high praise. I could not be happier with my Aurender N10. Many thanks to Mike and Suncoast Audio for making it happen.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Re: Aurender N10 - Stereophile A+ Recommended Component

It's a stud! LOVE LOVE LOVE mine. Can't believe how good it sounds. Liquidy goodness!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Well, stud or invisible man, depending on how you look at it.
    Howard

Pass Labs XS 300's, XS Pre | Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, Alpha USB | Aurender W20SE, ACS10 | Magico S7's with MPOD's, QSub 15 x 2 | Shunyata Denali 2000T x 2 with Sigma HC | Audience aR6-TS Incoming... Shunyata Everest 8000 w/ Omega XC | MIT Heritage and Oracle Interconnects and speaker cables | Critical Mass Maxxum rack | Resolution Acoustics custom room treatments

when will Aurender see the Roon-light is the bigger question?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I recently read on the Roon forum that Aurender's engineers have tested Roon with its servers and find that trying to incorporate Roon degrades the sound quality.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

It didn't take Stereophile's A+ rating to make me a believer in the Aurender N10 music server. This music server is as slick as it gets, fabulous sound, incredible Conductor control app, dead silent in operation, plenty of onboard storage, network compatibility, NAS connectivity, customized Linux operating system, oven controlled crystal oscillator clock, gorgeous case, Tidal streaming, Internet radio streaming, and now the second software unfold of MQA Master titles on Tidal. The Aurender N10 delivers consistently remarkable performance, rock solid reliability, and the support of a well established electronics manufacturer. In my opinion, this is THE music server to own. The A+ Recommended Component rating bestowed on the Aurender N10 by Stereophile is well deserved.

In case you missed reading it, here's my Aurender N10 Caching Music Server Review

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

You can connect a Roon Ready Streamer to the Aurender with a digital cable. I have had an inexpensive Roon-Ready Raspberry Pi3/Hifi Berry combo feeding a couple of non-roon devices. They work just fine.

Gentlemen.......This is not a thread about Roon. Start your own thread if that's the topic you wish to discuss. Thank you.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Gentlemen.......This is not a thread about Roon. Start your own thread if that's the topic you wish to discuss. Thank you.
    Roon's a pretty serious item for many of us and a point of contention for an "A+" Stereophile review or classification.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Keith.......What, you don't know how to start your own thread, so you want to derail mine?
    Dan

Dan, I don't feel I'm derailing anything. And if this forum is just about posting about gear that gets good reviews to pat ourselves on the back, I can't think of anything more lame or boring.

I have wanted to purchase an Aurender for several years but shied away due to Roon concerns. Anyways, I'm out.

Dan, I don't feel I'm derailing anything. And if this forum is just about posting about gear that gets good reviews to pat ourselves on the back, I can't think of anything more lame or boring.
    Keith.......You made that quite obvious. Otherwise you would have graciously yielded to my first plea to keep this thread on topic. That's the lame part. Nice try at being snarky, if not a bit transparent. There's no back patting going on here, just a simple recognition that a respected audio publication, and those that make decisions to spotlight recommended components, felt strong enough about the Aurender N10 performance to bestow it with their highest A+ rating. There's no hidden agenda in wanting to share that on this forum. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-media-players

But hey, thanks for killing the thread.
    Dan

I have wanted to purchase an Aurender for several years but shied away due to Roon concerns. Anyways, I'm out.
    When Keith first posted about Aurender’s not being able to handle Roon, I replied explaining a way to make Roon work with Aurender. I thought that my reply was a way to bridge the OP's praise for the unit and Keith's pointing out something that the Aurender is lacking.

I did not mention that the aurender has other drawbacks. For example, the connection between Aurender Conductor app and Tidal only works one way (as opposed to two way with between Roon/Tidal). Or the fact that every Aurender device (and library) works as a silo with no communication between the devices (or libraries).

I was trying to be nice by bridging the gap. But I think that the OP's reply was addressed to both Keith and me.

Sounds as if the OP is trying to push down anything negative about the Aurender on the basis that he started the thread.

I have to agree with Keith here. The OP’ reply sounds like 'this is my sandbox and only I decide who plays here'. I'm out too.

Keith.......You made that quite obvious. Otherwise you would have graciously yielded to my first plea to keep this thread on topic. That's the lame part. Nice try at being snarky, if not a bit transparent. There's no back patting going on here, just a simple recognition that a respected audio publication, and those that make decisions to spotlight recommended components, felt strong enough about the Aurender N10 performance to bestow it with their highest A+ rating. There's no hidden agenda in wanting to share that on this forum. https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-media-players

I'm out, too. But hey, thanks for killing the thread.
    Dan,

Go back to the other forum where people fall over your every word. Maybe count the number of buttons on your new TV's remote.

Over here we dare discuss things and have different opinions.

BTW, I have both Aurender N10 and Roon NUC. Both great units. Roon has better UI for sure. Aurender feels like an app back in 2010.
    Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

Quote Originally Posted by blueoak View Post
    Dan,

Go back to the other forum where people fall over your every word. Maybe count the number of buttons on your new TV's remote.

Doug.......
    I don't understand where all the vitriol is coming from, but at least I can go back to the other forum.

One thing I have learned along the way, never argue with fools. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
    Dan

Doug.......
    I don't understand where all the vitriol is coming from, but at least I can go back to the other forum.

One thing I have learned along the way, never argue with fools. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
    Go enjoy the benefits of being a moderator and enabler on the biggest audio scam forum of the Internet.
    Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    When Keith first posted about Aurender’s not being able to handle Roon, I replied explaining a way to make Roon work with Aurender. I thought that my reply was a way to bridge the OP's praise for the unit and Keith's pointing out something that the Aurender is lacking.

I did not mention that the aurender has other drawbacks. For example, the connection between Aurender Conductor app and Tidal only works one way (as opposed to two way with between Roon/Tidal). Or the fact that every Aurender device (and library) works as a silo with no communication between the devices (or libraries).

I was trying to be nice by bridging the gap. But I think that the OP's reply was addressed to both Keith and me.

Sounds as if the OP is trying to push down anything negative about the Aurender on the basis that he started the thread.

I have to agree with Keith here. The OP’ reply sounds like 'this is my sandbox and only I decide who plays here'. I'm out too.
    What do you mean by two-way communication between Aurender Conductor and Tidal, and between Roon and Tidal?
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    What do you mean by two-way communication between Aurender Conductor and Tidal, and between Roon and Tidal?
    If you are inside Tidal and tag an album as a Favorite, the album is automatically added to your Roon library.
    If you are inside Roon and add a Tidal album to your Roon Library, that album is automatically marked as Favorite in Tidal.
    Tidal and Roon work together; there is communication both ways. The Conductor App does not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    If you are inside Tidal and tag an album as a Favorite, the album is automatically added to your Roon library.
    If you are inside Roon and add a Tidal album to your Roon Library, that album is automatically marked as Favorite in Tidal.
    Tidal and Roon work together; there is communication both ways. The Conductor App does not do that.
    nicoff.......There is two way communication between the Aurender Conductor App and Tidal. If you are inside Tidal and tag an album as a Favorite, the album is automatically added to the Tidal Favorites in the Aurender Conductor library. If you are in the Aurender Conductor App and add a Tidal album as a Favorite, that album is automatically marked as Favorite in My Music in Tidal. I just performed the task from Tidal on my office computer and from Tidal in the Aurender N10's Conductor App. Each album I selected in both directions now appears on Tidal and in the Aurender Conductor App. Another recent Conductor app update allows dedicated search under the Masters tab for MQA encoded albums.
    Dan

What I'm getting from these recent posts is a basic difference in the way Tidal is integrated with Roon vs. its integration with Conductor. Roon integrates your Tidal selections including favorites as part of your Roon library itself, while Conductor shows your Tidal selections including favorites as being under Tidal as opposed to being integrated with the rest of Conductor's library. So both Roon and Conductor allow you to see and access your Tidal selections, but only Roon integrates them as one complete library. I don't see that as a significant advantage for either approach, but rather that one might prefer one over the other. To each their own, it's nice to have different options!

Bill.......The Aurender Conductor app also allows Tidal albums to be integrated into the complete library if you choose. It allows selections to be shown as Tidal Favorites and/or album selections in the complete Conductor music library.

I am not trying to promote the Conductor app over the Roon app or vice versa. The Conductor app is dedicated to full control of the Aurender music servers and is not commercially available by subscription like Roon. You must own an Aurender music server in order to use the Conductor app. There are certainly plenty of Roon aficionados willing to use and pay for that application and the necessary hardware to effectively use that product, but by no means is the acceptance of Roon universal. As for me, the Aurender Conductor app provides all the functionality I desire to fully control my N10 and N100H music servers and interface with my music library to my complete satisfaction. That's all that matters to me. Like you said, to each their own.
    Dan

Dan, thanks for clarifying the functional alternatives provided by Aurender's Conductor app regarding its Tidal integration!

nicoff.......There is two way communication between the Aurender Conductor App and Tidal. If you are inside Tidal and tag an album as a Favorite, the album is automatically added to the Tidal Favorites in the Aurender Conductor library. If you are in the Aurender Conductor App and add a Tidal album as a Favorite, that album is automatically marked as Favorite in My Music in Tidal. I just performed the task from Tidal on my office computer and from Tidal in the Aurender N10's Conductor App. Each album I selected in both directions now appears on Tidal and in the Aurender Conductor App. Another recent Conductor app update allows dedicated search under the Masters tab for MQA encoded albums.
    Thank you for the explanation! Aurender N10 - Stereophile A+ Recommended Component

I was tempted by the W20, but I discovered that... the 2 AES connectors of my DAC do not support dual mode AES/EBU. And also my DAC does not have Clock input.

So, I wonder if, without use of the dual mode AES/EBU and the Clock input, will the W20 still offer an advantage over the N10, or if, with my DAC configuration, will the N10 will sound as good as the W20 ?

The N10 is indeed much more recent than the W20 that is quite aging now...
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Bill.......The Aurender Conductor app also allows Tidal albums to be integrated into the complete library if you choose. It allows selections to be shown as Tidal Favorites and/or album selections in the complete Conductor music library.

I am not trying to promote the Conductor app over the Roon app or vice versa. The Conductor app is dedicated to full control of the Aurender music servers and is not commercially available by subscription like Roon. You must own an Aurender music server in order to use the Conductor app. There are certainly plenty of Roon aficionados willing to use and pay for that application and the necessary hardware to effectively use that product, but by no means is the acceptance of Roon universal. As for me, the Aurender Conductor app provides all the functionality I desire to fully control my N10 and N100H music servers and interface with my music library to my complete satisfaction. That's all that matters to me. Like you said, to each their own.
    I am myself NOT a ROON fan, and therefore ready to accept that the Conductor app is a very vialable alternative. The ONLY MISSING FEATURE for me compared to ROON (and Deezer), is the ability to READ THE LYRICS of the songs played. If this was implemented in the Conductor app, then I will be 100% sold to Aurender.
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).

bmichels.......A Google search will generally produce the lyrics to nearly any song you may be interested in reading.
    Dan

Agrée, but it is more convenient to have lyrics inside your player. Deezer even scroll the text to follow the singing, like.. karaoke ;-)

I Wonder if getting a used W20 instead of a N10 still make sense with a DAC that do NOT has Dual AES/EBU and NO Clock Input.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender N10 - Stereophile A+ Recommended Component