Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine

What I have been listening to and burning in at my sound room is the new version of the Gobel Epoque Fine, called the Aeon. As I have never heard the Epoque Fine I can't comment on the SQ differences personally but according to Oliver the Epoque Aeon Fine has the following changes which I can list.

What are the improvements:
    • Improved bending wave driver (improved mechanical parts, improved lossless behavior, improved heat dissipation, improved distortion behavior, improved phase behavior)
    • improved bass drivers and alignment (improved loss less behavior, improved distortion behavior)
    • improved and adjusted crossover (topology and parts quality)
    • improved mechanical coppeling (new materials for the foot and new ceramic ball feet)
    • improved electrical behavior (impedance behavior, electrical phase behavior)
    • improved lacquer finish (Now real piano lacquer finish! And we are talking about real piano lacquer finish of the highest quality! As always completely made in Germany!)

What will these improvements result in:
    • even better frequency linearity
    • even better frequency dispersion
    • even better impulse response over the whole frequency range
    • even better and max. realistic soundstage
    • even better small signal behavior
    • even better bass response (control, speed, integration)
    • +4 dB higher max SPL!
    • easy to drive for the amps!:

The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Reference is now 3,4 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Fine is now 2,8 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Wall is now 3,4 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    So now, you can drive the Epoque Aeon line with nearly every amplifier!
    • last but not least, highest possible sophisticated appearance through the real piano lacquer finish (which is also made in Germany

The ride for me so far has been very interesting which I will elaborate on

Re: Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine

Is this the same speaker you have been talking about on WBF since Mar 9th?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Is this the same speaker you have been talking about on WBF since Mar 9th?
    Yes. The one Elliot brought to my home for "burn in" is the new version of the Fine, called the Aeon, but I was not allowed to discuss that it was new one until today as Gobel is only today making this public. I believe I may be the first one who has heard the Aeon.

I have no basis for comparison to the original Fine but since it entered my listening room it has been an incredible ride.

Right out of the box, which I know never to judge, the thing sounded like crap. I mean literally. I didn't want to say anything as I have learned my lesson about right out of the box opinions over the lasts 38+ years in this hobby. But still I kept my mouth shut so as not to offend anyone.

Just left it playing and playing and did a tiny listen on Saturday and lo and behold it warmed up, vocals sounded "real" and I was immediately impressed with how fast and open the upper level harmonics were.

On Sunday, we found the sweet spot in my room where the bass was nice and taut did listening and some microadjustments before we seated them. The feet have an interesting mechanism and very easy to move and ultimately set up in your spot and better yet should one feel the need to move thereafter is pretty simple to move.

I am surprised at how accurate the bass is and how there is absolutely NO overhang and just how wonderful it sounds. Charlie Haden's double bass never sounded so accurate to me on any system. Vocals are so realistic it's hard to believe but where I am most impressed is just how open and fast these things are. Depth of image is still improving and Oliver claims 300-500 hours of break in before all the characteristics of the speaker can be appreciated so I am continuing the journey until Elliot has to take them out of my room. Right now I have less than 5 days as I had to shut them down last night but will continue the break in process.

I have heard or owned many wonderful high end speakers (including Avalon, Wilson, Magico, Nola, ProAc, Martin Logan, etc) but these are in a different category and a first for me. I will elaborate more as I get them really tuned in and as they break in but I am moving over to the "believer camp" of Oliver's claims regarding his bending wave technology. Plus the build is one of the best I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    Yes. The one Elliot brought to my home for "burn in" is the new version of the Fine, called the Aeon, but I was not allowed to discuss that it was new one until today as Gobel is only today making this public. I believe I may be the first one who has heard the Aeon.

I have no basis for comparison to the original Fine but since it entered my listening room it has been an incredible ride.

Right out of the box, which I know never to judge, the thing sounded like crap. I mean literally. I didn't want to say anything as I have learned my lesson about right out of the box opinions over the lasts 38+ years in this hobby. But still I kept my mouth shut so as not to offend anyone.

Just left it playing and playing and did a tiny listen on Saturday and lo and behold it warmed up, vocals sounded "real" and I was immediately impressed with how fast and open the upper level harmonics were.

On Sunday, we found the sweet spot in my room where the bass was nice and taut did listening and some microadjustments before we seated them. The feet have an interesting mechanism and very easy to move and ultimately set up in your spot and better yet should one feel the need to move thereafter is pretty simple to move.

I am surprised at how accurate the bass is and how there is absolutely NO overhang and just how wonderful it sounds. Charlie Haden's double bass never sounded so accurate to me on any system. Vocals are so realistic it's hard to believe but where I am most impressed is just how open and fast these things are. Depth of image is still improving and Oliver claims 300-500 hours of break in before all the characteristics of the speaker can be appreciated so I am continuing the journey until Elliot has to take them out of my room. Right now I have less than 5 days as I had to shut them down last night but will continue the break in process.

I have heard or owned many wonderful high end speakers (including Avalon, Wilson, Magico, Nola, ProAc, Martin Logan, etc) but these are in a different category and a first for me. I will elaborate more as I get them really tuned in and as they break in but I am moving over to the "believer camp" of Oliver's claims regarding his bending wave technology. Plus the build is one of the best I have ever seen.
    Many thanks for the feedback and really looking forward to further updates. Any thoughts so far on soundstage width....do they image outside speaker cabinets?

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for the feedback and really looking forward to further updates. Any thoughts so far on soundstage width....do they image outside speaker cabinets?
    Yes the image way outside the speaker. Very similar to my Nola Concert Grands just more accurately and goosebump speed and upper level harmonics that are fantastic. Depth of image is changing with break in and becoming better by the day.

I still need to tweak them a little more. Compared to the Nola Concert Grands they don’t like sound treatment behind the speakers which I removed. But they do like center front wall treatments like most speakers.

I’m close to how they need to be. Another week of tinkering and I will be there.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to further updates. You probably already know that CH Precision use the Reference version in their own listening room while Goebel use CH Precision amps in their listening room. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to further updates. You probably already know that CH Precision use the Reference version in their own listening room while Goebel use CH Precision amps in their listening room. Have fun.
    Yes I know. I am running my MSB Select II direct into my CH M1 with all Gobel cables.

So far I am very impressed with the synergy.

I will definitely keep people who are interested updated. It’s nice to have these speakers come to America.

They haven’t been given much press here so it will be nice to have them to compare to some of the other similarly priced speakers.

Also Oliver is awefully nice and very intelligent. I think he is going to be at Axpona for the introduction of the Aeon Fine and at RMAF for introduction of the Aeon Reference along with Elliot at both.

Howie

Banned

Yes I know. I am running my MSB Select II direct into my CH M1 with all Gobel cables.

So far I am very impressed with the synergy.

I will definitely keep people who are interested updated. It’s nice to have these speakers come to America.

They haven’t been given much press here so it will be nice to have them to compare to some of the other similarly priced speakers.

Also Oliver is awefully nice and very intelligent. I think he is going to be at Axpona for the introduction of the Aeon Fine and at RMAF for introduction of the Aeon Reference along with Elliot at both.

Howie
    It has been a fun journey and thank you for not letting our little secret out until I was allowed to announce the new products.
    We have booked a room at both shows and will introduce the smaller speaker called the Aeon Fine at Axpona next month in room 594. It will be shown with our cables and the CH L1, CH C1 and the M1 stereo power amplifier. The room is kind of small so we are bringer the FGine rather than the reference that needs more space. I do have both but at this time our showroom is not ready.

Banned

CH does have a pair of Epoque reference speakers however I don't think they have the new AEON's yet. We will however have a huge, say again huge system at RMAF with the Reference in Octobver. We have been working hard to get a good room there and we have finally secured one on the main floor that should work well. CH and Gobel and Bending Wave will be showing together and sharing that location.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still need to tweak them a little more. Compared to the Nola Concert Grands they don’t like sound treatment behind the speakers which I removed. But they do like center front wall treatments like most speakers.
    As the center front wall is behind the speakers, this observation appears contradictory.

Banned

Point of first reflection on both side walls and in the middle of the wall between the speakers. A totally damped wall is not needed

Quote Originally Posted by BendingWave View Post
    Point of first reflection on both side walls and in the middle of the wall between the speakers. A totally damped wall is not needed
    Got it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinkwann View Post
    As the center front wall is behind the speakers, this observation appears contradictory.
    Let me be a little clearer. Sorry about that.

Directly behind each Nola I had sound treatment (Apertures) as well as in the center front wall between the two speakers.

The Gobels sound better when nothing is directly behind the speaker (compared to the NOLA) while leaving the center sound treatment between the two speakers intact.

Still using bass traps in the corners.

Let me be a little clearer. Sorry about that.

Directly behind each Nola I had sound treatment (Apertures) as well as in the center front wall between the two speakers.

The Gobels sound better when nothing is directly behind the speaker (compared to the NOLA) while leaving the center sound treatment between the two speakers intact.

Still using bass traps in the corners.

Just another update.

Oliver is correct regarding break in. These speakers have changed character so much since Friday. Been listening to “simple” acoustic to complex orchestral today.

Really fantastic. Just so accurate, fast and depth of the soundstage is as good if not better than anything I have ever heard. The size of the presentation is astounding but not distorted in the least.

Speakers have now 100% disappeared. If there are more accurate speakers out there I haven’t heard them.

There is so much detail that all I can say is it’s absurd. Unlike some “detailed” speakers absolutely no harshness.

I really hope Elliot gets a room at Axpona that does these speakers justice. Haven’t heard the CH DAC he will be using as I use the MSB SELECT but what I’m hearing on a partially broken in set of speakers is amazing. I just can’t imagine anyone not being blown away from these.

Congrats to Oliver for the design and production and Elliot for having the balls to bring them to America.

Two questions, Whats the MSRP in the US for the two new speakers? and What's the efficiency rating for the two new speakers?
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    Two questions, Whats the MSRP in the US for the two new speakers? and What's the efficiency rating for the two new speakers?
    Hello Sir,
    The new Aeon series of speakers are 4 db more efficient than the previous models and that make the Fine 90 db. The Fine has a US retail of 140k per pair.
    Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any further questions. www.bendingwaveusa.com

These are just about fully broken and I find them amazing.

I won’t be at Axpona but Elliot will be taking the Aeons from my room to show there.

I know he will be showing with CH Precision which he recently took delivery of and is busy burning them in before the show in addition to setting up his studio.

Now 10 days+ the new Epoque Fine Aeons are a spectacular speaker. I personally have never experienced a speaker as neutral, transparent and accurate as these. It is VERY HARD to believe these are the same speakers from 10 days ago. 10 days ago out of the box I was worried.

I really recommend people stop by and listen. I am now a believer in what I thought was impossible. These things are the most accurate and resolving speakers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Other brands I have owned have resolved with the cost of of some harshness at the top end (no not my NOLAs, rather not name the brand(s) to protect myself from attacks). These are just right. These are not speakers that produce a muddy or somewhat “bloated” mid bass to satisfy a certain type listener. Setup properly they are as dynamic as any possibly with the exception of the lowest most octave. However the bass is dead on accurate, resolving and spectacular.

Vocals are in another dimension as are strings and horns. Nothing I have heard quite like it.

Even the most complex of music where there is a “blending” of the players each and every layer of detail can be accurately placed.

Speakers give a more refined holographic presentation without bloat and with perfect dimension and placement than any panel speaker I have ever heard.

I never heard his last Fine but the Aeon is a real winner in my book. Now if only I could afford them.

Plus they passed the “wife test” on looks and she actually listened and was shocked. Never happened before. She wanted to hear more. I kicked her out as I wanted my crappy chair back.

Cant confirm all being said , but for sure the disappearing act is truly amazing , not a Pic anywhere to be seen ...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Cant confirm all being said , but for sure the disappearing act is truly amazing , not a Pic anywhere to be seen ...

Dear Sir, The Aeon does not look any different than the previous series , however the finish is even better which is hard to believe. I will be happy to post a picture of the speakers at Priaptor's home a little later when I am home.
    I did post the differences before and we will be showing them at Axpona 2018 in room 594 with the CH Precision M-1 stereo amp, the L1 pre and the C1 dac . all thje cables wiil be the Gobel Lacorde speaker, balanced interconnect. power cords and USB and ethernet.
    Priaptor has all the cables however he is using the MSB select 2 dac as his front end.

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Good luck at Axpona .....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Good luck at Axpona .....
    Thank you very much. I hope we can get great sound there . I have no idea what to expect in that room.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine