Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine

What I have been listening to and burning in at my sound room is the new version of the Gobel Epoque Fine, called the Aeon. As I have never heard the Epoque Fine I can't comment on the SQ differences personally but according to Oliver the Epoque Aeon Fine has the following changes which I can list.

What are the improvements:
    • Improved bending wave driver (improved mechanical parts, improved lossless behavior, improved heat dissipation, improved distortion behavior, improved phase behavior)
    • improved bass drivers and alignment (improved loss less behavior, improved distortion behavior)
    • improved and adjusted crossover (topology and parts quality)
    • improved mechanical coppeling (new materials for the foot and new ceramic ball feet)
    • improved electrical behavior (impedance behavior, electrical phase behavior)
    • improved lacquer finish (Now real piano lacquer finish! And we are talking about real piano lacquer finish of the highest quality! As always completely made in Germany!)

What will these improvements result in:
    • even better frequency linearity
    • even better frequency dispersion
    • even better impulse response over the whole frequency range
    • even better and max. realistic soundstage
    • even better small signal behavior
    • even better bass response (control, speed, integration)
    • +4 dB higher max SPL!
    • easy to drive for the amps!:

The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Reference is now 3,4 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Fine is now 2,8 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    The min. impedance in single wiring of the Epoque Aeon Wall is now 3,4 ohm, and only between a very narrow area!
    So now, you can drive the Epoque Aeon line with nearly every amplifier!
    • last but not least, highest possible sophisticated appearance through the real piano lacquer finish (which is also made in Germany

The ride for me so far has been very interesting which I will elaborate on

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Today I Am Allowed To State I Have Been Listening to the Epoque Aeon Fine

Is this the same speaker you have been talking about on WBF since Mar 9th?
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Is this the same speaker you have been talking about on WBF since Mar 9th?
    Yes. The one Elliot brought to my home for "burn in" is the new version of the Fine, called the Aeon, but I was not allowed to discuss that it was new one until today as Gobel is only today making this public. I believe I may be the first one who has heard the Aeon.

I have no basis for comparison to the original Fine but since it entered my listening room it has been an incredible ride.

Right out of the box, which I know never to judge, the thing sounded like crap. I mean literally. I didn't want to say anything as I have learned my lesson about right out of the box opinions over the lasts 38+ years in this hobby. But still I kept my mouth shut so as not to offend anyone.

Just left it playing and playing and did a tiny listen on Saturday and lo and behold it warmed up, vocals sounded "real" and I was immediately impressed with how fast and open the upper level harmonics were.

On Sunday, we found the sweet spot in my room where the bass was nice and taut did listening and some microadjustments before we seated them. The feet have an interesting mechanism and very easy to move and ultimately set up in your spot and better yet should one feel the need to move thereafter is pretty simple to move.

I am surprised at how accurate the bass is and how there is absolutely NO overhang and just how wonderful it sounds. Charlie Haden's double bass never sounded so accurate to me on any system. Vocals are so realistic it's hard to believe but where I am most impressed is just how open and fast these things are. Depth of image is still improving and Oliver claims 300-500 hours of break in before all the characteristics of the speaker can be appreciated so I am continuing the journey until Elliot has to take them out of my room. Right now I have less than 5 days as I had to shut them down last night but will continue the break in process.

I have heard or owned many wonderful high end speakers (including Avalon, Wilson, Magico, Nola, ProAc, Martin Logan, etc) but these are in a different category and a first for me. I will elaborate more as I get them really tuned in and as they break in but I am moving over to the "believer camp" of Oliver's claims regarding his bending wave technology. Plus the build is one of the best I have ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    Yes. The one Elliot brought to my home for "burn in" is the new version of the Fine, called the Aeon, but I was not allowed to discuss that it was new one until today as Gobel is only today making this public. I believe I may be the first one who has heard the Aeon.

I have no basis for comparison to the original Fine but since it entered my listening room it has been an incredible ride.

Right out of the box, which I know never to judge, the thing sounded like crap. I mean literally. I didn't want to say anything as I have learned my lesson about right out of the box opinions over the lasts 38+ years in this hobby. But still I kept my mouth shut so as not to offend anyone.

Just left it playing and playing and did a tiny listen on Saturday and lo and behold it warmed up, vocals sounded "real" and I was immediately impressed with how fast and open the upper level harmonics were.

On Sunday, we found the sweet spot in my room where the bass was nice and taut did listening and some microadjustments before we seated them. The feet have an interesting mechanism and very easy to move and ultimately set up in your spot and better yet should one feel the need to move thereafter is pretty simple to move.

I am surprised at how accurate the bass is and how there is absolutely NO overhang and just how wonderful it sounds. Charlie Haden's double bass never sounded so accurate to me on any system. Vocals are so realistic it's hard to believe but where I am most impressed is just how open and fast these things are. Depth of image is still improving and Oliver claims 300-500 hours of break in before all the characteristics of the speaker can be appreciated so I am continuing the journey until Elliot has to take them out of my room. Right now I have less than 5 days as I had to shut them down last night but will continue the break in process.

I have heard or owned many wonderful high end speakers (including Avalon, Wilson, Magico, Nola, ProAc, Martin Logan, etc) but these are in a different category and a first for me. I will elaborate more as I get them really tuned in and as they break in but I am moving over to the "believer camp" of Oliver's claims regarding his bending wave technology. Plus the build is one of the best I have ever seen.
    Many thanks for the feedback and really looking forward to further updates. Any thoughts so far on soundstage width....do they image outside speaker cabinets?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for the feedback and really looking forward to further updates. Any thoughts so far on soundstage width....do they image outside speaker cabinets?
    Yes the image way outside the speaker. Very similar to my Nola Concert Grands just more accurately and goosebump speed and upper level harmonics that are fantastic. Depth of image is changing with break in and becoming better by the day.

I still need to tweak them a little more. Compared to the Nola Concert Grands they don’t like sound treatment behind the speakers which I removed. But they do like center front wall treatments like most speakers.

I’m close to how they need to be. Another week of tinkering and I will be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to further updates. You probably already know that CH Precision use the Reference version in their own listening room while Goebel use CH Precision amps in their listening room. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Looking forward to further updates. You probably already know that CH Precision use the Reference version in their own listening room while Goebel use CH Precision amps in their listening room. Have fun.
    Yes I know. I am running my MSB Select II direct into my CH M1 with all Gobel cables.

So far I am very impressed with the synergy.

I will definitely keep people who are interested updated. It’s nice to have these speakers come to America.

They haven’t been given much press here so it will be nice to have them to compare to some of the other similarly priced speakers.

Also Oliver is awefully nice and very intelligent. I think he is going to be at Axpona for the introduction of the Aeon Fine and at RMAF for introduction of the Aeon Reference along with Elliot at both.

Howie

8. Likes RDSChicago liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I know. I am running my MSB Select II direct into my CH M1 with all Gobel cables.

So far I am very impressed with the synergy.

I will definitely keep people who are interested updated. It’s nice to have these speakers come to America.

They haven’t been given much press here so it will be nice to have them to compare to some of the other similarly priced speakers.

Also Oliver is awefully nice and very intelligent. I think he is going to be at Axpona for the introduction of the Aeon Fine and at RMAF for introduction of the Aeon Reference along with Elliot at both.

Howie
    It has been a fun journey and thank you for not letting our little secret out until I was allowed to announce the new products.
    We have booked a room at both shows and will introduce the smaller speaker called the Aeon Fine at Axpona next month in room 594. It will be shown with our cables and the CH L1, CH C1 and the M1 stereo power amplifier. The room is kind of small so we are bringer the FGine rather than the reference that needs more space. I do have both but at this time our showroom is not ready.

Post Thanks / Like

CH does have a pair of Epoque reference speakers however I don't think they have the new AEON's yet. We will however have a huge, say again huge system at RMAF with the Reference in Octobver. We have been working hard to get a good room there and we have finally secured one on the main floor that should work well. CH and Gobel and Bending Wave will be showing together and sharing that location.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I still need to tweak them a little more. Compared to the Nola Concert Grands they don’t like sound treatment behind the speakers which I removed. But they do like center front wall treatments like most speakers.
    As the center front wall is behind the speakers, this observation appears contradictory.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast