Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Magico M3 Reviewed by TAS

I sure love mine!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Magico M3 Reviewed by TAS

I just heard these at a dealer. They are incredible. Ultra resolution delivered in a completely natural, non-fatiguing way. I was extremely impressed and it was a demo that I will not soon forget. I look forward to reading the review, but I'm glad I heard them before reading it.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

JV loves the M3? No way, I don’t believe you.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

M3's will take you straight to the "exit door" on the merry-go-round

Quote Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
    M3's will take you straight to the "exit door" on the merry-go-round
    Shaken and stirred, but not dizzy, 007.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Budget speaker extravaganza indeed

Too bad we don't get the TAS here anymore on the newsstands.

Just read the glowing review in TAS. I have to agree that they are a fine speaker after hearing them in Mike's store. I could not fault anyone who would decide that they were the right speaker for them. Need to be paired with some nice SS amps.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Just read the glowing review in TAS. I have to agree that they are a fine speaker after hearing them in Mike's store. I could not fault anyone who would decide that they were the right speaker for them. Need to be paired with some nice SS amps.
    I bought one of the first pairs Mike received. Haven't EVER regretted that decision. They are an amazing creation.

Cincy
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

I just read the review too. I have heard them and am very impressed. It is a superb speaker. I wish Valin had talked a little bit about how they compare to the Q3 which is the speaker they replaced. No speaker is perfect, but Valin did not seem to find anything wrong with the M3. I spent more time comparing it to the M Pro and the M6, but it would have been a much more interesting read if he had talked about other speakers of similar size from Magico and perhaps some of the competition. I don't really see how the review helps someone in the market for this size speaker.

My Q3 are out there for sale, as soon as they're sold I'm ordering M3.

M3 is a financial struggle for me, surplus stuff has to go first, and a diet of 2-minute noodles for the rest of my life!

From what I understand, M3 fit on the M6 MPOD tri-stand, and you can order them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    My Q3 are out there for sale, as soon as they're sold I'm ordering M3.

M3 is a financial struggle for me, surplus stuff has to go first, and a diet of 2-minute noodles for the rest of my life!

From what I understand, M3 fit on the M6 MPOD tri-stand, and you can order them that way.
    Thinking about if I should stick with my S3's, move to Q3's, or just wait it out for the M3's. Heard them twice in a less than perfect room setup and they sounded very good, but need hear what they really can do. M3's sure would hit my "pizza & beer" budget hard.
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:
    Speakers: KEF LS50 | Amp: Primaluna Prologue Premium | Digital: Lumin D2

My $.02

DON"T go from the S series to the Q series. Both have their good parts, some good some bad.

The M series has the best from both!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

The new A series might be the way to go. But I have not heard them in person.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I hardly think that anybody contemplating Q or M would end up with A.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    My $.02

DON"T go from the S series to the Q series. Both have their good parts, some good some bad.
    I was happy with both S and Q. I'd heard neither before I bought them. And I also won't get to hear M before ordering.

+1
    +2. Have heard some nonsense saying cannot judge the A3 until it has been heard. Um, it is clearly a step down from the S series. Let alone the Q and M series. As for value for money, that is a legitimate question.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

I've had Q5's, S5's and S3's. I'd strongly suggest staying away from the Q series. Very difficult to drive properly. I think the S series are far more "musical". If you have the $$$ to spend,I'm sure the "M"' series will be wonderful...
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    I've had Q5's, S5's and S3's. I'd strongly suggest staying away from the Q series. Very difficult to drive properly. I think the S series are far more "musical". If you have the $$$ to spend,I'm sure the "M"' series will be wonderful...
    That is a strong warning. Have you heard the Q1 or Q3? I have heard them both sound excellent in the right room and system. Speaker positioning is critical. I have also heard the Q5, and yes, it is a very tough load.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    That is a strong warning. Have you heard the Q1 or Q3? I have heard them both sound excellent in the right room and system. Speaker positioning is critical...
    Actually, I think not that critical for Q3, certainly compared to ported speakers like Wilson, etc. I can be laying down on my 3-seater couch with one ear pointing towards the speakers and my head next to the wall and they still sound great. Electronics are important, and everything else. If you still get good sound in the way I often find myself listening tells me that speaker positioning is not all that critical. I also got good sound from S3 (which is what I upgraded from).

Probably not for many reasons.

But, in past experience with the product lines of Magico. Each new series of speakers seems to be more and more musical - from what I've read, the A series might surprise us. I'm keeping an open mind.

Jock

---------

The A is a big side-step from anything they've done in the past. Budget friendly. Sub-contracting out the cabinet manufacture. No colour or finish options. etc. But it is still a Magico, and they wouldn't do it unless it was a Magico. For all that means.

Audioshark

I think the A3 could upset the S1 mk2 Apple cart. I’m anxious to hear mine. Should have them SOON!!

So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I forgot about the S1 mk2! That would be a great showdown.
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

...So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good...
    So I made the right choice then? When you are at Q3, do you go down to S3Mk2 or up to M3? I went for M3.

I think the A3 could upset the S1 mk2 Apple cart. I’m anxious to hear mine. Should have them SOON!!

So far, anything with “3” in it from Magico has been KILLER in the right sized room. Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Agree with Magico, Gryphon and MIT pairing. Even “lowly” S3 mk1, Diablo 300 and MIT Evo One pairing sounds superb.

So I made the right choice then? When you are at Q3, do you go down to S3Mk2 or up to M3? I went for M3.
    Congratulations on the upgrade!!

Congratulations on the upgrade!!
    How big an upgrade is it from Q3 to M3? Has anyone directly compared the two?

How big an upgrade is it from Q3 to M3? Has anyone directly compared the two?
    I will have the answer to that very question next week once my used M3's get delivered.

I am almost as excited as you are. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

I am almost as excited as you are. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts.

Was listening to my S3 mk2’s today. Man, total disappearing act. Love them. M3’s are OMG good. I was listening to Anita Baker’s Rapture album and in total disbelief of what I was hearing with the accompanying MSB and Gryphon and MIT.

Had a couple of close friends join me tonight for a music jam session. They were blown away. And I finally appreciated the Rolling Stones. The Gryphon/Magico combo makes music come alive. The litmus test is do you end up listening for many hours more than what you intended. Thank you Mike.

I will have the answer to that very question next week once my used M3's get delivered.
    USED M3's? Wow, now that is a FIND . I should be on the look out more closely I guess.
    Main System:
    Speakers: Magico S3 MK1 | Amp: Boulder 1160 | Pre-Amp: Ref10 | Digital: DCS Vivaldi 3/4 stack & esoteric K07x | Phono-Pre: ARC Ref 2se | Phono: AMG Viella w\ 12JT & Benz LPS cart.

Living Room:

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    USED M3's? Wow, now that is a FIND . I should be on the look out more closely I guess.
    Not so much a find as they were purchased from a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Had a couple of close friends join me tonight for a music jam session. They were blown away. And I finally appreciated the Rolling Stones. The Gryphon/Magico combo makes music come alive. The litmus test is do you end up listening for many hours more than what you intended. Thank you Mike.
    MPODs? That’ll elevate the S3 mk2 by a notch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    MPODs? That’ll elevate the S3 mk2 by a notch or two.
    Or SPODs designed for the S series. I know the MPODs are effective having heard them on the MPro, but I have not heard the SPODs.

I have the SPODs on my S5 MKII. They 'tightened' up the bass a bit, but since my speakers are on my living room floor, and that is on a concrete slab, which sits on the ground, there isn't much vibration to eliminate. I bet if I had a basement, or crawlspace, under the floor there would have been a bigger effect.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyS View Post
    Used M3 are out there, I've seen 2 pairs in the past week. I was going to buy used, but they hold their value so well I decided to buy new (i.e. Nothing to be saved buying used, yet).

Or SPODs designed for the S series. I know the MPODs are effective having heard them on the MPro, but I have not heard the SPODs.
    Peter, sorry I meant SPODs. I was thinking SPODs but somehow I typed MPODs. I have a set of SPODs on my S3 mk1 and I wouldn’t have them any other way.

My floor is solid marble. Do you think SPODS could make a noticeable improvement? Just some bass tightening or could there be other sonic improvements?

Used M3 are out there, I've seen 2 pairs in the past week. I was going to buy used, but they hold their value so well I decided to buy new (i.e. Nothing to be saved buying used, yet).
    Last ones I saw, with MPods, listed at $55, and went quickly.
    Jon

Audioshark

I still have a pair of M Pro’s I’m selling for a client. $65k + ship mint condition.

Read Valin's review last night - totally agree they need subs. I actually don't like the M3s so far, and at the core of it is the lack of low-end heft ... and Valin has a small room.

I still have a pair of M Pro’s I’m selling for a client. $65k + ship mint condition.
    That’s a really great price!

Quote Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
    Last ones I saw, with MPods, listed at $55, and went quickly.
    There is a pair in <not saying publicly> for $46,800 USD on MPOD. It was the pair I was going to buy, but ordered new instead.

I wish I had a larger room to allow for them. Don’t think the wife would be too thrilled with moving to let me have bigger speakers .
    Main System:

Living Room:

I think you've made a fine choice. Enjoy...
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Is the new TAS review available online?

You can read a copy of it on the absolutehiend website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M3 Reviewed by TAS