Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Quicksilver Full Featured Preamp

Don’t exactly know if this preamp would qualify as “Vintage”, but I bought it in 1992 and it is still going strong. I replaced the output caps with metalized Jantzen Silver/Golds and it now sounds better than new. Througout the years, I have compared it with many, but always returned to my Quicksilver.

I feel kind of sorry that Mike Sanders isn’t taking preamps as seriously as before, but my full featured sounds as high end as ever. Every once in a lifetime I make a good hifi decision. This one was it.
    == Joe ==

Re: Quicksilver Full Featured Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Don’t exactly know if this preamp would qualify as “Vintage”, but I bought it in 1992 and it is still going strong. I replaced the output caps with metalized Jantzen Silver/Golds and it now sounds better than new. Througout the years, I have compared it with many, but always returned to my Quicksilver.

I feel kind of sorry that Mike Sanders isn’t taking preamps as seriously as before, but my full featured sounds as high end as ever. Every once in a lifetime I make a good hifi decision. This one was it.
    still have the little Line Stage with remote and its still sounds great. Mike does a nice job. It would be cool if Mike again made a updated version of his full pre.amp
    I
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

The guys who run Audio Connection in NJ speak very highly of the Quicksilver pre, and if I have learned anything lately, it's that they know their shit.
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

I have never heard a Quicksilver piece I didn’t like. Mike Sanders is one of the few manufactures of high end gear that real people can afford. Quicksilver is an oasis in a hifi wasteland.

I am not talking NAD, Wyred4sound, Rotel or Emotiva. These IMHO are midfi. Please don’t take offense as my intention is in earnest. Real affordable high end gear is of the likes of Odyssey Audio, Schiit, “The Clue” (speakers), Clearday Cables and of course Quicksilver. I am hard pressed to think of others. I have also ordered pure silver interconnects and power cables from Mike Sanders. All great stuff at affordable prices. His cheap flexible (made in USA) power cables beat the stock cables from Wadia (much thicker), and other expensive cables in my arsenal. Too bad they are no longer available. I figure Mike is getting near retirement age. Mike don’t fail us now !!! Keep keeping on.
    == Joe ==

Joe and everyone,

Well, I will tell you a slightly interesting story. A few months ago when I decided to get a preamp as part of my upgrade path to Vandy Quatros, I had narrowed it down to a few choices, which ended up being PS Audio's BHK pre, one of the Hegels, Bryston's latest, and the Ayre Kx-5 Twenty. I have a longstanding relationship with PS Audio and had heard the BHK a number of times and loved it, but they designed it without one feature that I just gotta have in my main rig- fixed-level outputs. So I dropped that one from my list, with great reluctance, and asked the Audio Connection people to demo the Ayre for me. When I got there John had set up with vandersteen Treos (my current speaker) and a Rotel power amp, I think the 200wpc model. I will tell ya. I wasn't able to compare it directly to my (current) Hegel amp and didn't want to bother him to swap it out for an Ayre or Bryston just so I could evaluate Rotel, but I have heard those at other times. I'm not saying I would choose the Rotel over any of them - but damn, if I had to live with I definitely could. It was maybe just a little warm and soft, but really, way better than I expected it would be, and by no means did it embarrass itself. I guess we all define for ourselves where mid-fi ends and high end begins, but I was somewhat pleasantly surprised!
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Dear Jay and all: I too have very high regard for Rotel. As much as I am past them as a viable product for me, I recommend Rotel to my friends and family. My sister has a largly Rotel system and I enjoy it immensly when I visit her. The build quality is first rate and the reliability is second to none. Last time I was at her house I bought her a pair of Totem Mites and the Rotel gear took off. Totem is another product I highly recommend. Sorry to go so far off topic, but along with Quicksilver there is a small amount of audio products I hold dear.
    == Joe ==

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Quicksilver Full Featured Preamp