Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Formula One

Re: Formula One

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    This year, none of the races met expectations.
    I agree 100%. Most boring day of racing I can remember. And I recorded it. So I could fast forward. But ff to what?
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

I thought it was interesting that Tony George was at Indy telling drivers to start their engines.

The guy who ruined American open wheel racing...he must have loved the 2018 Indy race. Cookie cutter cars, no passing, no passion, no nothing. Lets see, my favorite team is....all of them. None of them. Wow, the're all the same. Just like him. A total douche......

Hoping for an exciting race in Canada this weekend. Some teams will have upgraded engines and aero packages. Looks like Mercedes will not bring their new spec engine to this race.

I’ve been to the F1 race in Montreal before. A great track and fabulous venue.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Me too. I feel like this is a pretty cool track. Let’s hope for a competitive Sunday.

Hoping for an exciting race in Canada this weekend. Some teams will have upgraded engines and aero packages. Looks like Mercedes will not bring their new spec engine to this race.

I’ve been to the F1 race in Montreal before. A great track and fabulous venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Re: Formula 1

With the race in North America, it’s nice to be able to watch live. Who does everyone have for today’s winner?

Let’s go, Danny.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Danny ...!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    With the race in North America, it’s nice to be able to watch live. Who does everyone have for today’s winner?

Let’s go, Danny.

Verstappen unless he crashes on the first lap going for the lead.
    If he gets the lead, I think the Redbul, has the race pace to hold off Ferrari who will likely make a strategic mistake.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

http://shunyata.com

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Danny ...!
    Can’t go wrong with Daniel. He has proven himself to be the “closer”.
    And like Alonso he can drive a car beyond its capability without crashing it.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Yep ,

agree , he is faster than Max over the race distance , Max is better on cold tires and being out of control when he has the room. Danny’s race pace is relentless like Alonso..

Quote Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
    Verstappen unless he crashes on the first lap going for the lead.
    If he gets the lead, I think the Redbul, has the race pace to hold off Ferrari who will likely make a strategic mistake.

Vettel always falls off under pressure ....

Not today
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

precisely, a Fairweather champion. he's been caught watching his mirrors more often than road ahead of him.

Yeah, that is how you become 4x WDC, lol.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Yep ,

agree , he is faster than Max over the race distance , Max is better on cold tires and being out of control when he has the room. Danny’s race pace is relentless like Alonso..
    I'm a RIC fan myself, but I have to disagree. VER is usually faster, like he was today, but his driving style gets him into trouble all too often. VER has retired 7x (!) during 2017 season alone.

In spite of those retirements, RIC was actually faster throughout the race distance than RIC 5x, and RIC finished higher than VER only 2x. Same in Q3. 1:3 for VER.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Yeah, that is how you become 4x WDC, lol.

4 times faux Champion , easy to do when your team won’t allow your teammate to challenge , and you are in the best car ,

Ask Lewis ..

I'm a RIC fan myself, but I have to disagree. VER is usually faster, like he was today, but his driving style gets him into trouble all too often. VER has retired 7x (!) during 2017 season alone.

In spite of those retirements, RIC was actually faster throughout the race distance than RIC 5x, and RIC finished higher than VER only 2x. Same in Q3. 1:3 for VER.

Chk fastest laps today and get back with me ....

Vern is the faster driver , over one lap and on cold tires, he makes his time up on cold tires at start Ric the more complete driver , Vern’s lack of smoothness and precision makes him slower on street courses and in general vs Ric .

His cold tire speed is a big advantage on tracks difficult to pass on , today ric lost too much time behind Hammy and had no chance of staying in touch with Vern.

He will win more races and score more points than Vern again this year, he is still the more complete driver at this stage..

Regards

Yeah, right - so it is very much like with Bottas vs HAM. Bottas is atually better, but Mercedes does not let him win.

Just don't tell anyone, will you, lol.
    Adam

Yeah, right - so it is very much like with Bottas vs HAM. Bottar is atually better, but Mercedes does not let him win.

Just don't tell anyone, will you, lol.
    I have told many over the decades , won alot on bets too , if you are willing to wager, I’m game , this WWF1 game is easy to predict ..

before you bet , Disclosure , I’m a race engineer by profession, i know a bit more than your TV tells you ...

regards

You are a funny guy, I must say. One of the most amusing to read. Not only on this topic.

You have just said RIC is 'faster than Max over the race distance', but now, to backup your claims, you want me to check who was actually slower 'over the race distance', but did the fastest lap (when fuel levels dropped, nobody cared anymore and the top guys just wanted to baby their cars home [or had to save fuel like Bottas]).

Makes sense, LOL.
    Adam

I’m fond of you too Adam ..

Anyway Danny had the fastest lap, i’m aware of your lack of understanding to this significance ..

As your knowledge base increase what i say will have more significant meaning to you , Like your claim on Porsches disproved by JD Powers as well as others ..

But feel free to put up some cash , i say Danny will finish ahead of Max this year , even if Max decides to take him out again, do we have a wager or are you all talk

regards

Adam ,

Did you miss them robbing Danny at Monaco and giving that race to Lewis , no wait you actually thought it was a team error ...

Exactly. RIC had the fastest lap, but was slower than VER during the race distance. Which is the exact oposite of what you have claimed just a few posts earlier.

With one I can agree - RIC (my fav driver, BTW), may very well finish the season higher than VER. Not because he has more raw speed. But because he is more consistent.

PS. If you take your knowledge of Porsche reliability (engine problems related to specific Porsche engine types) from JD Powers, then ... well, I can only recommend you to talk to people who actually work on those cars for a living instead. Don't race them, as this is something totally different - work on daily driven Porsches, see how they age and learn about their model specific problems.

Again - I'm a Porsche owner myself. I have no reason to discredit one of my fav brands. Just can't stand when I see someone spreading false information.
    Adam

Adam i had already given you my opinion on it all , never said Ric was faster than Max , as to this race Ric had lost out on catching Max because of lewis , his FTD proves he had the pace to stay with Max , he is not going to be faster every race , i was giving you a breakdown on how i see each of their performance differences and how each will react to changes and race disrance pace , which is very important ..

Do we have a bet ...? Less make it a Bottle ..

regards

Exactly. RIC had the fastest lap, but was slower than VER during the race distance. Which is the exact oposite of what you have claimed just a few posts earlier.

With one I can agree - RIC (my fav driver, BTW), may very well finish the season higher than VER. Not because he has more raw speed. But because he is more consistent.

PS. If you take your knowledge of Porsche reliability (engine problems related to specific Porsche engine types) from JD Powers, then ... well, I can only recommend you to talk to people who actually work on those cars for a living instead. Don't race them, as this is something totally different - work on daily driven Porsches, see how they age and learn about their model specific problems.

Again - I'm a Porsche owner myself. I have no reason to discredit one of my fav brands. Just can't stand when I see someone spreading false information.

So it was a self inflicted blow on your part Then .....

Bet on what ? That RIC will finish higher then VER ? I have already said it is perfectly possible. Please be so kind and read people posts in full, if you want to engage into discussion.
    Adam

Lol , The Irony ....

totally lame race yesterday in Montreal.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

You’re telling me. I actually fell asleep on the couch for a few minutes during the middle of the race. Hopefully, the next GP is more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    totally lame race yesterday in Montreal.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

A dominant run by Vettel and Ferrari. This race really highlights how difficult it is to pass with the aero of these cars.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Formula One

A dominant run by Vettel and Ferrari. This race really highlights how difficult it is to pass with the aero of these cars.
    I think I heard next year’s specs will seek to reduce the bad air thrown back behind the cars so it’s easier to follow closely, thus (hopefully) resulting in more overtaking. I hope that to be the case. I think they up’d the rev limit a couple thousand RPM’s, too.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

The Brakes is the real issue not really the aero , if The FIA was really serious about this they would do away with the ETC and auto trans , shifting can be paddle but driver activated only , no drivers aids like anti-stall, TC , etc ..

Regards

The Canada GP was not as exciting as expected.

A fairly easy win for Ferrari. Red Bull showing what a great car can do even if a bit underpowered (with the Renault engine). McLaren showing what a terrible car (no longer can blame Honda) can do with the same Renault engine and one of the best drivers in the world - Señor Alonso. Mercedes will be back, and, kudos to Bottas who remains very consistent with another podium. And, with such a great car, Kimi could do no better than 6 - it’s been a while since he’s done anything special on the track.

All in all, it remains a good year for F1. The drivers championship is very tight and three different teams have won races. I hope it remains this way for the rest of the season.

Mike

The Brakes is the real issue not really the aero , if The FIA was really serious about this they would do away with the ETC and auto trans , shifting can be paddle but driver activated only , no drivers aids like anti-stall, TC , etc ..

Regards
    Its not the brakes that keep F1 from passing, ts the track and the top cars at the front. Plenty of cars are passing at the middle to the end of the pack. Its like that in any racing, cars bikes, boats.

Also, the semi-audto gear boxes have been around since 1986 when Williams started development followed by Ferrari in 89. . 95 percent of engine failures in the old days were caused by a driver changing down too early and over-revving the engine. The moment you have gear-shifting under electronic control, over-revved engines are out the door and life is much cheaper!”
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

what's passing?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Kimi should have done a 2 pit stop race. Wouldn't have cost him anything. If you aren't going to try to mix it up, you deserve crappy 6th place.

The fact that 7th was a full 1:10 behind says everything about today's F1...

, with such a great car, Kimi could do no better than 6 - it’s been a while since he’s done anything special on the track.

In my humble opinion, some of the bigger contributors to the lack of wheel-to-wheel racing and overtaking are: pure power/performance gap (top three teams vs everyone else); aero causing bad washing of trailing air which makes it hard for cars to follow closely behind on anything but the straights; indirect effects of FIA regulations seeking to curb high costs (i.e., 3 power unit ceiling for each driver forcing drivers/teams to prioritize power unit longevity as opposed to pushing the car harder for the full duration of races); the width and weight of the cars, and lack of refueling.

When the formula was smaller, lighter cars with simpler aero, and no penalties for burning through endless amounts of engines, it produced more glorious races.

Eliminating or scaling back the fuel injection restriction and upping the rev limiter (19 or 20K) would help, too, I think. At the very least it will give us a more pleasant engine note.

In my dream, we’d lop off the hybrid portion of the power unit and increase the cylinder count and displacement.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Sean ,

Curious how long have you been watching the sport ? DRS is vastly more helpful to passing than anything from the past , no more than 2 teams have ever been capable of winning championships at a time , with rare exceptions ..

Plenty passes if steel brakes , much longer braking distance for DRS to work , but also passes mid race will have less effect and meaning until last 10 laps or so , kinda like watching Nascar with many passes where only the last 10 laps count ..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Its not the brakes that keep F1 from passing, ts the track and the top cars at the front. Plenty of cars are passing at the middle to the end of the pack. Its like that in any racing, cars bikes, boats.

Also, the semi-audto gear boxes have been around since 1986 when Williams started development followed by Ferrari in 89. . 95 percent of engine failures in the old days were caused by a driver changing down too early and over-revving the engine. The moment you have gear-shifting under electronic control, over-revved engines are out the door and life is much cheaper!”
    That semi auto box is not what they have today , that original design was supplied to F1 by Weismann , ferrari was the first to my knowledge and the first to race with it . Plenty passes in Bike racing even at the front , only did 2 yrs of Boat racing not for me ...

Regards

Only been watching the past few years but watch documentaries and old races online. Does this discount my credibility? Formula One

I agree that longer braking distances would also help and would reward drivers who can demonstrate better finesse and handling skills. The countless remarks from drivers about not being able to follow closely because of bad air can’t be a myth, though. Same goes for team engineers telling drivers to back off to protect the car.

I don’t think DRS is all that bad but do see it as a way to just manufacture passing (as opposed to raw racing - drivers taking a better line, braking later, getting on the power earlier, etc.).

Hey, I would take more passing that renders each one less inherently effective. I don’t necessarily think that it means only the last ten laps count but more that leading halfway doesn’t mean you’ve secured a probable victory. Either way, I’d take the last ten laps counting over just the first couple like we have now. I think a good analogy of this is soccer (for me) - I enjoy highlights of goals cause they are fun but feel they are too few and far between during games. More scoring makes each goal slightly less valuable on paper but makes the end product more satisfying to watch.

I get that that the top couple teams will separate themselves - the cream always rises to the top. But overall, I just think F1 could be more exciting, and want it to be cause I enjoy it so much. Perhaps the rumors will be true and Porsche (and others) will enter F1 as an engine supplier and inject some balance by reducing the disparity of engine power across the teams.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

I’m confused on the transmission discussion - my understanding is that they are manual in the sense that the car won’t shift unless prompted by the driver via paddles. But not manual in the sense that there is a stick shift. So a sequential gearbox like in a motorcycle.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/t...up-racing.html

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

That semi auto box is not what they have today , that original design was supplied to F1 by Weismann , ferrari was the first to my knowledge and the first to race with it . Plenty passes in Bike racing even at the front , only did 2 yrs of Boat racing not for me ...

Regards
    Regarding the semi-autio. Its in the F1 rules for 2018

"Semi-automatic gearboxes are permitted but automatic gear changes and Constantly Variable Transmission (CVT) systems are not." Its how the paddles work for shifting, controlled by electronics.

More on Williams and the gear box http://www.racecar-engineering.com/t...ial-gearboxes/

Could never get into boat racing, something about having no control while zipping across the water and making turns at 100+ . Heck , my bassboat scared the crap out of me going 65 and I still had a lot of throttle left all while thinking I sure hope there is not a gator out front.

Needed changes IMO:

More latitude in car designs
    18" or bigger wheels
    At least 6 engines/season 3 is too limiting
    Get rid of the brake harvesting, batteries, electric motors
    Get rid of staggered start...line em up in rows of 2 equally
    Having to run 2 tire compounds is stupid, let em run as few or as many as they want
    Another tire manufacture would be great

France .....and the proper order is restored!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    France .....and the proper order is restored!
    We must have seen different races.

Hamilton won instead of Vettel.

Even so, at least it was more interesting than the previous two...
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Enough overtaking to be fun in France this weekend. Hopefully some of that action will be prevalent toward the front of the pack, too, for this week’s coming GP. A lonely race for Ham, I imagine.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

IMG_7305.jpg

Podium finishers on their final lap in Austin last week.

Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    HRS E1

Congrats to Lewis!

I wish I were as good at predicting the stock market as I am F1 championships. I'd actually be driving/owning a McLaren Senna and Mercedes-AMG One instead of dreaming about it.

It was a great season.

I went to Austin last week and enjoyed the fight at the front for the last part of the race.

Mercedes and Lewis proved to be too much for the much improved Ferrari package. Congrats to Lewis’ on his 5th F1 Drivers Championship.

Unfortunatetly, the championship has been decided with two more races before the season is over.

Mike

Adam

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Formula One