Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

the preamp/amp question

I was wondering everyones opinion on matching vs mixing the preamp/amp with what experience everyone has had. Does it require you to match up a amp with the company preamp or vise versa to get the most out of one and the other? To make the questions simple we can stick to solid state. Also, I am not trying to discuss voltage match up or pin polarity issues, just overall getting the most out of the product.

Take Joe's recent purchase the Dan m400's. they were definitely intriguing for me but then a think will it match the burmester 088 or would I need to get the matching preamp one day to really see what the amps really should sound like.
    burmester 088/911, rega rp6, sumiko blackbird, magio S3, rel g1's, rogers pa1a, nos telefunkens, wireworld plat. ic, sc
    chord dave, microrendu, uptone lps 1

Super Moderator

Re: the preamp/amp question

I personally (and from my own experience) don't feel it's absolutely necessary to have the same company preamp and amp to have ultimate synergy. Sure matching can be easy. But some preamps have their own sound/flavor and amplifying that can bring nirvana.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I agree with Joe that it's not generally required to match a company's pre and power amps, and that with some combinations you can achieve excellent results with well matched amplification across manufacturers. Although a mismatch can occur if you don't have the opportunity to try various combinations, and by staying with one brand's electronics you can purchase a combination with more confidence in a synergistic outcome.

This is exactly where a knowledgeable dealer really earns your business. I never would have thought about combining a Soulution 520 pre/Hegel H30 amp/Revel Salon2 system without encouragement from an experienced dealer. To my ears, in my large 17x37' room the mix was superior to the much-more-expensive Soulution monos, which were better-suited to the watt-greedy Revels only in a more modestly sized 14x19' room.
    Parker

I pretty much am in agreement with Audio Bill. To get the synergy and "house sound" the designer was going for I like same brand pre/power. Secondly, I would at least to same topology, for example, differentially balanced with same, I personally wouldn't mixed single ended with true balanced. I personally would have thought D'Agostino and Mac would be a poor match, them not being same sonic signature or character. So my 3rd stage is at least trying to keep with same character, like warm with warm, etc.

With that being said there are always those exceptions. And, that's my biasess, many mix and seem to be happy. It can be fun as well.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I recently had an Aries Cerat preamp in my Soulution system & I was stunned.

Also agree with the previous statements. There can be a house-sound synergy, but that does not always equal to better sound. I am currently combining an Ayre pre with a Pass power amp to great results. Had an Ayre/ Ayre combination before which was also fine.

It is also quite popular to combine a tube pre with a SS power amp to get the best of both worlds. The only thing is that bias between pre and power amps should match, and as Mr Peabody indicates, fully balanced design power amps sound best when combined with fully balanced pre amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Full agreement, a buddy of mine runs the ARC 6 with his Esoteric amps and has no issue with sound, but you really need to see how it sounds in your entire system with cables, power and the room itself to not go sideways. For me I’m conservative matching the pre and amps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Some of you have drifted from the Op's request to keep this 'all SS' and inject tubes into the mix (Ok in my book) yet no one has yet to mention arguably the single most 'technical concern' when mixing different manufactures pieces ....... impedance matching.

With that the general accepted 'common' is that the input impedance of the amp should be 10 or more times greater than the output impedance of the preamp. This figure is usually at the frequency where the preamp output impedance is at it's highest.

If the above is to be of a concern it's more often than not found in the tube pre to SS amp scenario
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I personally (and from my own experience) don't feel it's absolutely necessary to have the same company preamp and amp to have ultimate synergy. Sure matching can be easy. But some preamps have their own sound/flavor and amplifying that can bring nirvana.
    Hi Joe,

Too bad you sold the Ayre KXR Twenty preamp. I was reading that someone tried both and actually preferred the KXR Twenty preamp to the Momentum preamp with the M400 monoblocks. He said it was a synergistic combo. The KXR Twenty is a terrific preamp!

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Sorry to drift a little off topic.

While I had and loved the KXR-20 and MXR-20 combo, I tried each individually with other amp and preamp combinations. I have to be honest and say that while the KXR-20 is spectacular in its own right, I would have preferred a fuller and more meaty tone. Even the Ayre combo was just a bit too thin for my taste but still amazing. Ayre has probably the best treble and mids in that they are smooth and a bit sweet with absolutely zero harshness and sibilants. Ayre is a paragon in that way, but give me that smooth and sweet treble with a thicker tone and you have a world beater on your hands. It may be out there but I have not found it. You all can think I am crazy but I've had my time with the KXR-20 and am not looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Joe,

Too bad you sold the Ayre KXR Twenty preamp. I was reading that someone tried both and actually preferred the KXR Twenty preamp to the Momentum preamp with the M400 monoblocks. He said it was a synergistic combo. The KXR Twenty is a terrific preamp!

Best,
    Ken
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

the preamp/amp question

I like your audio gear choices Joe, let me know when you find the thing that does what the KX-R does with a bit of added warmth and I’m right behind you.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator

Thanks!!!

I like, actually love, a lot of gear. My ears are my own and I know what I like. I could have, no wait - should have stopped , long ago but I love to play with shiny new toys.

I can not wait to try my Luxman preamp with the D'Ag M400 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I like your audio gear choices Joe, let me know when you find the thing that does what the KX-R does with a bit of added warmth and I’m right behind you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I can not wait to try my Luxman preamp with the D'Ag M400 amps.
    I’m sure that is an incredible pairing, looking forward to your impressions.

Joe, reading your taste in sound, what drew you to the 400's? I've heard D'Agostino several times and "meaty" is not an adjective I'd ever come up with. Which of your speakers do you find them sounding their best with? I bet they'd slam with the 4367's.

I really hope to hear Ayre and Bryston this year. I heard a great Bryston set up but didn't get much time in the room.?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Joe

Based on Doug's review in Soundstage the C900u paired with the Dag's should be something else. Curious also how the "lowly" LTA stacks up in that company.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

I had an original D'Ag S200 stereo amp and absolutely believe that had a thicker tone to it. Maybe denser is a better term for what I remember hearing. Granted, I have not heard these M400s yet but based on what Jock and others have told me in the past, I am confident in my choice.

Ayre will be SUPERB with the 4367. I suspect the M400s will be awesome as well. I have some experimenting to do once the amps arrive.

One of my all time favorite, bar none, combos was my CJ GAT and ART monos on my Studio2. That just did me in, no sleep kind of sound. Turning off that combo every night was torture, absolute torture. One more song turned into daylight streaming through the windows. I don't know why or how, but the CJ/Studio2 combo was even better to my ear than with my beloved Strads. Tweeter related perhaps? Sure the Strads had a bigger and more room filling presentation but something about the Studio2/CJ combo was sublime. I may go back there someday, but right now, hopefully the Revel/Harmon/D'Ag combos will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Joe, reading your taste in sound, what drew you to the 400's? I've heard D'Agostino several times and "meaty" is not an adjective I'd ever come up with. Which of your speakers do you find them sounding their best with? I bet they'd slam with the 4367's.

I really hope to hear Ayre and Bryston this year. I heard a great Bryston set up but didn't get much time in the room.?
    Last edited by joeinid; February 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Jack,

I think both will be great. My gut tells me that the Luxman C900u and D'Ags will be superb. I love that preamp too. I think I love it more than the Ayre for my taste.

The guy who purchased my ARTsa amp a while ago just got the BHK Signature preamp to replace his CJ ET3se and is in heaven now. Absolutely loves that combo. I love the BHK preamp as well. Sure it's a tiny bit quirky but that preamp does not get the respect it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

Based on Doug's review in Soundstage the C900u paired with the Dag's should be something else. Curious also how the "lowly" LTA stacks up in that company.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Glad he likes the BHK and I guess the "little" SE quirk doesn't bother him because if it doesn't the sound should be superb. It will be interesting though to see how the "little guy preamp" stacks up with the "big boys."
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I think at times when your searching for "that sound" and you have many different components such as dac, preamp, amp, speakers, cables; how are you suppose to figure out which one is preventing "that sound" form happening? I have stopped myself from changing my burmester combo bc I find nothing wrong with it and I like the ignorance of not knowing otherwise. the main part that I did listen to before purchase were speakers. I tried all the major ones to hear their house sound before I decided on magico.
    burmester 088/911, rega rp6, sumiko blackbird, magio S3, rel g1's, rogers pa1a, nos telefunkens, wireworld plat. ic, sc
    chord dave, microrendu, uptone lps 1

Super Moderator

That is a great question. I do change gear around a lot but also listen to what is setup a lot. It takes a while to learn what something is doing, but you are right, sometimes I (we) make an assumption on what we think something sounds like and have been all wrong. I try to be patient and just listen. The better gear rises to the top naturally.

There are no absolutes. "Ignorance is bliss" and I try and shut out a lot of the noise from everywhere else. What my head wants and what my heart wants are usually two separate things. Trying to reconcile the two is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by drabbish View Post
    I think at times when your searching for "that sound" and you have many different components such as dac, preamp, amp, speakers, cables; how are you suppose to figure out which one is preventing "that sound" form happening? I have stopped myself from changing my burmester combo bc I find nothing wrong with it and I like the ignorance of not knowing otherwise. the main part that I did listen to before purchase were speakers. I tried all the major ones to hear their house sound before I decided on magico.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sorry to drift a little off topic.

While I had and loved the KXR-20 and MXR-20 combo, I tried each individually with other amp and preamp combinations. I have to be honest and say that while the KXR-20 is spectacular in its own right, I would have preferred a fuller and more meaty tone. Even the Ayre combo was just a bit too thin for my taste but still amazing. Ayre has probably the best treble and mids in that they are smooth and a bit sweet with absolutely zero harshness and sibilants. Ayre is a paragon in that way, but give me that smooth and sweet treble with a thicker tone and you have a world beater on your hands. It may be out there but I have not found it. You all can think I am crazy but I've had my time with the KXR-20 and am not looking back.
    Hi Joe,

I apologize for taking the thread a bit off topic. I am happy to read that you tried the KXR Twenty with other amp combinations before you sold it. If it was sounding on the thin side in your system then you made the right decision. I hope the Luxman preamp gives you the meatier sound you desire. If not, there’s always the option to save up for the Momentum preamp. I think getting the M400’s will be huge step forward with your system, once you find the appropriate matching preamp.

All the best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Super Moderator

Thank you Ken, absolutely no worries. I don’t mean to knock the KXR20. It really is a superb preamp. I guess I’m a little spoiled. I would be surprised if my Luxman wasn’t a great match with the D’Agostino amps. I had the first Momentum preamp and I think Jock did too. We both preferred the KXR20 over it but it was great too. There’s a chance I might do tubes on the M400s. First with my little MZ2 then something else. I’d love to try a GSPre.

NAD C 658 streamer.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

the preamp/amp question