Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Roon Endpoint DACs

Roon Endpoint DACs seem to be gaining popularity. I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on how the digital part of the system works, covering types of DACs, NAS, Roon Core Processors, Tablets, etc.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Re: Roon Endpoint DACs

in my experience the roon software is outstanding -- easy to install, configure, and use. it just works, as they say. as a consequence, roon compatibility is a must for any computer audio equipment that i would consider.

with respect roon endpoints, a DAC with a LAN source input is the only way to go. it just a simpler and more elegant endpoint -- not to mention cutting way down on the sys-admin work involved.

unfortunately, the number of DACs with a LAN input is quite small. this is simply amazing given that pretty much every household device now has network connectivity: thermostats, coffee pots, light switches...

there are a few out there and even the new lampizatOr pacific DAC now has LAN input and is a roon endpoint. hopefully, customer demand will cause more manufactures to include LAN input.

Banned

Here are some RoonReady DAC's that I can think of off the top of my head.

Ayre QB-9
    Auralic Vega 2 & Altair
    Lumin (various models)
    MSB (add on module)
    Brinkman Nyquist
    dCS (various models)
    Bluesound Node
    Bryson BDA-3
    PS Audio DS & DS Jr

A more complete list here. https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

Audioshark

Just cracked open the Roon Nucleus+ to run the Roon Ready DAC’s in the store: Ayre QX5-Twenty, PS Audio DirectStream and (soon) MSB Select II.

This is a gorgeous piece of kit.

If anyone has a Roon Ready DAC, I’m a Roon (license and hardware) reseller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hi Mike,

Can you explain what the Roon Nucleus and Roon Nucleus+ do, what the differences are between them and what are the advantages over other types of Roon Core Processors?

Thanks!
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Banned

Nucleus:

My dealer had his out on the weekend, it looks great. A great option for those with the money or don't have the skills to manually build the equivalent from a NUC.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Mike,

Can you explain what the Roon Nucleus and Roon Nucleus+ do, what the differences are between them and what are the advantages over other types of Roon Core Processors?

Thanks!
    Ken
    Ken,

The Nucleus and Nucleus+ is a turn key solution. The Nucleus and Nucleus + run the proprietary Roon OS Software. The OS by Roon is meant to deliver "the best user experience for the Roon user". What does this mean practically? Speed, stability, sonics and support.

The Nucleus runs Roon Core which is the software for the Roon system and it essentially tells the Roon Ready DAC where to find the music (on a NAS, attached HD, etc.) Think of it like miniMServer for Lumin or AMM (Aurender Media Manager) for Aurender. They function in a similar manner.

The Nucleus and Nucleus+ will also soon have other additional support features (like remote support from Roon) and running Crestron Control 4, remote login, etc.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Looks good. What is the MSRP for these respective products ?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Looks good. What is the MSRP for these respective products ?
    $1398 for Nucleus
    $2498 for Nucleus+

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    $1398 for Nucleus
    $2498 for Nucleus+

It looks like an Intel NUC. I just tried to read up on it, and it looks like it was designed in collaboration with Intel. The OS is Roon proprietary which means no Windows! Will it connect via WiFi to the network or does it have to be Ethernet?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

By the way, I'm currently running Roon and JRiver on a Mojo server I have in for review and Roon plays perfectly with my long in the tooth Mytek Stereo 192.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Hmmm, the Nucleus does not have AES/EBU output. Can that be built into a NUC?
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    Hmmm, the Nucleus does not have AES/EBU output. Can that be built into a NUC?
    Curious, why you would need that? It’s meant to replace a Windows or Mac, it’s not a DAC. It’s meant to be used with a Roon endpoint DAC (which is Ethernet).

Curious, why you would need that? It’s meant to replace a Windows or Mac, it’s not a DAC. It’s meant to be used with a Roon endpoint DAC (which is Ethernet).

Doesn't it have a USB output that can be connected to a DAC? I'm probably ascribing a feature to it that is not there, as I'm thinking of it as a self-contained server equivalent to an Aurender.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Audioshark

Doesn't it have a USB output that can be connected to a DAC? I'm probably ascribing a feature to it that is not there, as I'm thinking of it as a self-contained server equivalent to an Aurender.
    Nope. The USB ports are for external hard drives.

I think it works like this. You have a router. Nucleus is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. NAS is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. Roon Endpoint DAC is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. Digital music signal goes from NAS to DAC via router. Nucleus using Roon software tells NAS what music to play. You control Roon with a wireless tablet (IPad).

Ken

Being a novice in all things digital, I ask the following question.
    If for some reason Roon would go out of business would this render all of these roon dedicated devices useless?
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Nope. The USB ports are for external hard drives.

I think it works like this. You have a router. Nucleus is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. NAS is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. Roon Endpoint DAC is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable. Digital music signal goes from NAS to DAC via router. Nucleus using Roon software tells NAS what music to play. You control Roon with a wireless tablet (IPad).

Ken
    Ah, got it, thanks.
    Anthony

Audioshark

Roon Endpoint DACs

Ah, got it, thanks.
    Cool. It’s not like the Aurender (I love my N10), it’s really for those Roon ready DAC’s with network cards.

Cool. It’s not like the Aurender (I love my N10), it’s really for those Roon ready DAC’s with network cards.
    The N10 converts DSD to PCM or does it do native DSD at only DSD 64?

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    The N10 converts DSD to PCM or does it do native DSD at only DSD 64?
    The Aurender N10 has the ability to convert DSD to PCM (by FPGA) for PCM only DACs, but it also supports up to DSD64 via SPDIF or up to DSD128 via USB output. I believe it also provides the option to output DSD as either DoP or native DSD. (I'm sure someone will correct me on that if incorrect! )

Many claim hearing better sound quality by using a dedicated Roon core device such a NUK or this new Roon Nucleus. I do not have the slightest idea why that would be if one is using a good enough computer with a fast enough processor and enough memory so that it is not bogged down by DSP in Roon (if used) and by background applications, etc... None the less, that is what many claim and I don't have a reason to doubt the experienced listeners I have heard this from. I just don't have enough understanding of computers to even begin to figure out why a processor barely cruising along at 3% in a good quality desktop computer would somehow be inferior to a NUK or Nucleus.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    Many claim hearing better sound quality by using a dedicated Roon core device such a NUK or this new Roon Nucleus. I do not have the slightest idea why that would be if one is using a good enough computer with a fast enough processor and enough memory so that it is not bogged down by DSP in Roon (if used) and by background applications, etc... None the less, that is what many claim and I don't have a reason to doubt the experienced listeners I have heard this from. I just don't have enough understanding of computers to even begin to figure out why a processor barely cruising along at 3% in a good quality desktop computer would somehow be inferior to a NUK or Nucleus.
    Agreed. COULD be fanless, better power supplies, dedicated to just one task, all SS design?

Mike, what is the difference between Nucleus and Nucleus+ ? If you are using the USB output to the DAC, make sure you get a quality 12-19v power supply and its going to make all the difference

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Mike, what is the difference between Nucleus and Nucleus+ ? If you are using the USB output to the DAC, make sure you get a quality 12-19v power supply and its going to make all the difference
    Nucleus
    i3 processor
    4GB RAM
    64GB OS SSD (for buffering)
    Store libraries up to 12,000 albums (120,000 tracks)
    Multi-room systems up to five zones
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    Internal 2.5″ HDD/SSD bay
    $1398

Nucleus+

i7 processor
    8GB RAM
    128GB OS SSD (for buffering)
    Store libraries OVER 12,000 albums (120,000 tracks)
    Multi-room systems OVER five zones
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    $2498

Nucleus
    i3 processor
    4GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3

Nucleus+

i7 processor
    8GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3

Ahh...Thanks Mike. Looks like they made the + for the DSP functions.

Audioshark

Ahh...Thanks Mike. Looks like they made the + for the DSP functions.
    Yes, among other things. I went for the + (of course!)

Yes, among other things. I went for the + (of course!)
    Yeah, I think they were able to successfully carve out a fanless chassis for the i7. There is none after market case at this point for an i7 NUC.

What are you powering it with ? Are you going straight to the DAC ?

Yeah, I think they were able to successfully carve out a fanless chassis for the i7. There is none after market case at this point for an i7 NUC.

What are you powering it with ? Are you going straight to the DAC ?
    Units like this are not directly connected to a DAC. You connect both your DAC and the Nucleus to your network. My DAC is in my two channel room while my Roon device is on another floor some distance away both connected to my router via ethernet. IMHO ethernet it the best connection.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Units like this are not directly connected to a DAC. You connect both your DAC and the Nucleus to your network. My DAC is in my two channel room while my Roon device is on another floor some distance away both connected to my router via ethernet. IMHO ethernet it the best connection.
    That is one use case. The other use case is for non-Ethernet based DACs. Therefore, for non-ethernet based DAC will use a streamer in between (like a uR or Sotm sms200) if they think the Nucleus does not perform best connected directly.

I have two home grown custom fanless PC and both runs ROCK (the same OS that runs on Nucleus), they are connected via Ethernet - while one runs up-sampling, the other acts as streamer connected straight to the DAC.

With Nucleus, once you have a top class power supply and assuming you are not using the Roon's DSP functions, it has the potential to be connected straight to the DAC with high-end SQ - it might not beat an Antipode DX but can come close.

That is one use case. The other use case is for non-Ethernet based DACs. Therefore, for non-ethernet based DAC will use a streamer in between (like a uR or Sotm sms200) if they think the Nucleus does not perform best connected directly.

I have two home grown custom fanless PC and both runs ROCK (the same OS that runs on Nucleus), they are connected via Ethernet - while one runs up-sampling, the other acts as streamer connected straight to the DAC.

With Nucleus, once you have a top class power supply and assuming you are not using the Roon's DSP functions, it has the potential to be connected straight to the DAC with high-end SQ - it might not beat an Antipode DX but can come close.
    Ethernet DAC's such as MSB & dCS are the SOA. I couldn't wait for the long delayed release of the Nucleus and after comparing Windows NUC's to the Linux sonicTransporter I went with the later. Very happy with the built in SS drive.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Ethernet DAC's such as MSB & dCS are the SOA. I couldn't wait for the long delayed release of the Nucleus and after comparing Windows NUC's to the Linux sonicTransporter I went with the later. Very happy with the built in SS drive.
    Yes, sonic transporter is a great h/w for Roon core server and will perform at par with the Nucleus. The sonicTransporter i5 is basically a NUC in a fanless case. The Nucleus is a great turn-key solution for Roon users that doesn't want to delve into the intricacies of building a pc.

Nucleus
    i3 processor
    4GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    $1398

Nucleus+

i7 processor
    8GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    $2498
    i like nucleus. it is well configured and plug-n-play... what could be easier for those looking for a dedicated roon server?

as mentioned earlier it is possible to build a DIY roon server. this is a lower cost alternative for those willing to do a little upfront work downloading / installing / configuring the roon software.

looking at setting up roon server on a headless mac mini as another route to the same functionality, the cost for a comparable machine looks to be about half the price of a nucleus. below is an example comparable to the nucleus+

mac mini with ssd upgrade:
    256gb internal ssd (PCIe = fast)
    i5 processor, 2.6GHz (upgradable to i7 @ $300)
    8gb ram (upgradable to 16GB @ $200)

I/O:
    • LAN x 1, HDMI x 1, USB-3 x 4, thunderbolt x 2
    • 3.5mm audio in (digital + analogue) + 3.5mm audio out (digital + analogue)
    • SDXC card slot

configurable as Roon server running roon core
    $899 ($1,199 w/ i7 processor and 16GB memory upgrades)

?
    What about these : https://www.atlastsolutions.com/fanless/

https://www.pcmag.com/news/353469/ak...i7-nuc-for-200
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by aKnyght View Post
    i like nucleus. it is well configured and plug-n-play... what could be easier for those looking for a dedicated roon server?

as mentioned earlier it is possible to build a DIY roon server. this is a lower cost alternative for those willing to do a little upfront work downloading / installing / configuring the roon software.

looking at setting up roon server on a headless mac mini as another route to the same functionality, the cost for a comparable machine looks to be about half the price of a nucleus. below is an example comparable to the nucleus+

mac mini with ssd upgrade:
    256gb internal ssd (PCIe = fast)
    i5 processor, 2.6GHz (upgradable to i7 @ $300)
    8gb ram (upgradable to 16GB @ $200)

I/O:
    • LAN x 1, HDMI x 1, USB-3 x 4, thunderbolt x 2
    • 3.5mm audio in (digital + analogue) + 3.5mm audio out (digital + analogue)
    • SDXC card slot

configurable as Roon server running roon core
    $899 ($1,199 w/ i7 processor and 16GB memory upgrades)
    I've also seen it more than a few times people mentioning switching to a NUK was an audible improvement over using Mac Mini. I can't confirm that fact, I am still using my PC for the Roon Core, just repeating what I heard time and time again.

Double
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Ken

What Roon Core does in the Nucleus, is not telling the NAS what music to play, in fact the NAS in this case does not process music since it does not have any Music Server (Mininserver, Twonky, jRiver ..... or Roon Core if can support it)
    The process is really like this: the digital misic signal goes from NAS to Nucleus, there it is processed by Roon Core and sent to the DAC Roon Ready through the RAAT protocol
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Does Nucleus include Roon Core license?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlight View Post
    Does Nucleus include Roon Core license?
    No.
    Jim

No, you have to buy it separately.
    Francisco

For the Nucleus and Nucleus+, it seems internal storage would come separately. What are the costs for internal SSD's that would fit?
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    I've also seen it more than a few times people mentioning switching to a NUK was an audible improvement over using Mac Mini. I can't confirm that fact, I am still using my PC for the Roon Core, just repeating what I heard time and time again.
    fair enough -- i don't have direct experience w/ the SQ of mac mini vs other hardware. i am running roon core on a mac pro desktop. the roon core is installed on the boot disk and storage is on a separate internal HDD. have had zero issues with this hardware configuration, but again have not done any A/B testing.

here's a link to running roon server on a NAS with useful information on hardware specs for those contemplating the DIY route - just pick a compatible hardware/OS platform:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

running on a NAS as described in the link would be equivalent to a nucleus w/ extra internal drives for RAID storage and backup -- all in one box.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    For the Nucleus and Nucleus+, it seems internal storage would come separately. What are the costs for internal SSD's that would fit?
    You can install an internal 2.5” x 9.5mm drive. That’s up too 4TB SSD or 2TBHDD. The drive must be formatted internally before you move music onto it.

That's cool. I remember Roon folks said they had tough time with the thermals when running dsp functions with their Nucleus case (one of the reason why the release is delayed).

As per the pcmag review the Akasa case is compatible with i7 but as per Akasa.tw its not.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=A-NUC37-M1B

The Atlast solution seems promising though.

Btw, the 8th generation NUC is going to be released very soon

Nucleus
    i3 processor
    4GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    $1398

Nucleus+

i7 processor
    8GB RAM
    Gigabit ethernet
    2x USB 3.0 port
    Thunderbolt 3
    $2498
    I think the Nucleus is a quite sweet plug&play solution. Not being aware of these I went for a pimped-up Synology NAS instead:

- quad core 2.3 GHz CPU
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 64-bit architecture
    - 250 GB SSD HDD for the Roon Core
    - 275 GB SDD module for cache
    - 24TB for storage with RAID 1 setup