Streaming to Ayre QX-5 Twenty
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Streaming to Ayre QX-5 Twenty

Just installed an Ayre QX-5 Twenty digital hub, and have in mind a special usage. Instead of streaming from Roon to it, I'd like to establish a network session between it and my Macbook so that I could send music from whatever I might be hearing on my Macbook to it. Both devices are on the network, of course, and I'd like to treat the QX-5 in the same fashion as you would if you had a network printer, and sent a document to be printed to it.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streaming to Ayre QX-5 Twenty

See if you can use AirPlay.

(I regularly test iPad YouTube AirPlay before releasing firmware.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    See if you can use AirPlay.

(I regularly test iPad YouTube AirPlay before releasing firmware.)
    A quick search of the manual shows no indication of AirPlay support. I guess it could be undocumented.
    Roon->sMS-200->Resonessence Invicta Mirus Pro->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Sabrinas / Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2

Post Thanks / Like

You could get a Bluetooth adapter that you can physically connect to an input of the Ayre. Then you stream via Bluetooth from the PC to the adapter. Devices like these are used to play music from a mobile phone to a car stereo that lack BT. Just a thought.

5. Thanks IAmRael thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are using an Apple Airport as your router, you could send files to the Airport via Airplay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass Labs X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster PSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ HD Plex linear PSU/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

The digital network board in the Ayre comes from Conversdigital the same as the Bridge II from PS Audio. According to it's spec sheet it does have AirPlay capability.

http://www.conversdigital.com/
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like an Airport Express will receive audio from a Macbook via AirPlay. From what I can tell, it has a USB output on the back which I can pipe into the QX-5 via appropriate cable with adapters. It advertises that

How Does AirPlay Work and What Audio Format Is Used?
    To stream digital music over Wi-Fi, AirPlay uses the RTSP protocol—Real Time Streaming Protocol. The Apple Lossless audio codec is used over the UDP transport layer protocol to stream two audio channels at 44100 hertz.
    The audio data is scrambled by the AirPlay server device, which uses a private key-based encryption system.

If this is correct, then I should be able to get 44.1KHz channels. This may be worth a try, and is not a lot of money.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Good call; the Conversdigital board does have AirPlay capability. I'm guessing that an Ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the Ethernet input of the QX-5 would get the job done. However, this might also disable any use of the QX-5 as a Roon endpoint. What about using the USB output of the Airport Express to one of the other inputs of the QX-5?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If the board has Airplay capability your Mac should be able to identify it as an Airplay device, unless some functionalities are disabled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass Labs X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster PSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ HD Plex linear PSU/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

It may as I think the board is the Roon endpoint not the DAC. I think just using Airplay instead of the Airport express would be easier and cheaper plus sound the same. Like Peter said try it before you buy anything else.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast