Do you use an integrated in your main system? - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you use an integrated in your main system?

Thank you Alex. That could be fun. I’ve had other darTZeel gear. It’s on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Joe,

Slightly more than your $10k budget, but the darTZeel LHC-208 is a good choice. Let me know if you'd like to give it a try

cheers,
    Alex
    Joe

JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass Labs XA25, Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, Bricasti M1SE dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Please share your experiences, I’m interested in some of the gear you have had and are using now.
    I think the one thing my current exercise has reminded me is that really is no universal right component for all situations. Until recently I was running my Grandinote Shinai through some Tune Audio Marvels and was thinking that the Shinai was the best integrated I had personally heard. An opportunity presented itself for me to get hold of a pair of Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers and this was a speaker I was super interested in but the cost was holding me back from a brand new pair. Lo and behold the Soundkaos speakers arrived and after settling for a while I was well and truly smitten, at this point they were still being driven by the Shinai and sounding pretty good too. Then I started reading around and some articles and reviews made me wonder if there was more to be had from the Soundkaos speakers.

I had read that the Bakoon range of amps were a good matchup for the Soundkaos speakers but lack of UK distribution put paid to being able to audition one in my system. It was really by accident that I read a review on 6 Moons of the Crayon Audio CFA1.2 and how this amp was cut from similar cloth to the Bakoon range. As luck would have it not only did Crayon now have UK distribution but had also introduced a new amplifier that word had it sounded superior to the CFA1.2. That amp is the CIA-1T it is pretty plain looking box compared to the CFA1.2. I arranged to have one sent out for an extended audition, thinking in my mind how can a unit half the price of the Grandinote even come close, especially given my high opinion of the Shinai. Here we are two weeks later and in the case of driving the Soundkaos speakers I think the Crayon is superior. The Soundkaos speakers are quick and full of finesse and the Crayon seems to show these subtleties more clearly than the Grandinote. In valve terms, although they are both solid state devices, the Grandinote is the punchy, meaty push pull while the Crayon is the airier SET. Having said that the Crayon is like an SET with huge cojones This has surprised the heck out of me.

I also have a previously purchased Jadis I-50 that is yet to be slotted into the rack. I have hopes this might be right in the middle of the Grandinote and Crayon models. First and quick impressions gleaned while just making sure it actually worked were that it had all the lush musical sounds of previous Jadis models I have heard but was also more “modern” sounding and lighter on its feet. It does of course also look simply gorgeous. More to follow on the Jadis I think.

Meantime I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Crayon but still also wondering deep down if I could let the Grandinote go.

3. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Likes joeinid, Nikhil liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely fell in love with the Soundkaos wave 40 speakers. A wonderful efficient speaker.
    Joe

JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass Labs XA25, Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, Bricasti M1SE dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    I think the one thing my current exercise has reminded me is that really is no universal right component for all situations. Until recently I was running my Grandinote Shinai through some Tune Audio Marvels and was thinking that the Shinai was the best integrated I had personally heard. An opportunity presented itself for me to get hold of a pair of Soundkaos Wave 40 speakers and this was a speaker I was super interested in but the cost was holding me back from a brand new pair. Lo and behold the Soundkaos speakers arrived and after settling for a while I was well and truly smitten, at this point they were still being driven by the Shinai and sounding pretty good too. Then I started reading around and some articles and reviews made me wonder if there was more to be had from the Soundkaos speakers.

I had read that the Bakoon range of amps were a good matchup for the Soundkaos speakers but lack of UK distribution put paid to being able to audition one in my system. It was really by accident that I read a review on 6 Moons of the Crayon Audio CFA1.2 and how this amp was cut from similar cloth to the Bakoon range. As luck would have it not only did Crayon now have UK distribution but had also introduced a new amplifier that word had it sounded superior to the CFA1.2. That amp is the CIA-1T it is pretty plain looking box compared to the CFA1.2. I arranged to have one sent out for an extended audition, thinking in my mind how can a unit half the price of the Grandinote even come close, especially given my high opinion of the Shinai. Here we are two weeks later and in the case of driving the Soundkaos speakers I think the Crayon is superior. The Soundkaos speakers are quick and full of finesse and the Crayon seems to show these subtleties more clearly than the Grandinote. In valve terms, although they are both solid state devices, the Grandinote is the punchy, meaty push pull while the Crayon is the airier SET. Having said that the Crayon is like an SET with huge cojones This has surprised the heck out of me.

I also have a previously purchased Jadis I-50 that is yet to be slotted into the rack. I have hopes this might be right in the middle of the Grandinote and Crayon models. First and quick impressions gleaned while just making sure it actually worked were that it had all the lush musical sounds of previous Jadis models I have heard but was also more “modern” sounding and lighter on its feet. It does of course also look simply gorgeous. More to follow on the Jadis I think.

Meantime I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on the Crayon but still also wondering deep down if I could let the Grandinote go.
    small world !! think it was me that followed on your review on the shinai on the wam
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    small world !! think it was me that followed on your review on the shinai on the wam
    And there goes my 15 minutes of fame ...... on a Shinai review !! :-D

7. Likes hifinutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I absolutely fell in love with the Soundkaos wave 40 speakers. A wonderful efficient speaker.
    I totally agree Joe I have been totally smitten by them. A wonderful speaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, but my experience is a little different. Yes, is true, i never try any high end integrated like most of you. But it was a long run with integrated amplifiers, like Sansui AU X711, NAD S300, Copland CSA28 and Classe CAP 101 (and some others with no pedigree! )
    For me, the option is for sure a pre power combo, and when i have time ($$$), a dual monoblock amplification. I have tried a mono combo from Arcam and noticed a clear step forward.
    Some time ago, I said to the Portuguese dealer of Lyngdorf that i do my reservation from advance to the mono amps when they have it. First client here!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a NAD c375BEE modified by Rowen (Rowen Swiss Power option- tweaked preamp section & negative output impedance for the power section). It is now capable of circa 750wpc into 1 ohm.

I run 2 Heil speakers on it, nominally 6ohms each. Never a power issue. Not practical to push beyond 1pm on the vol knob, as I have neighbours! Sonically, it performs at a similar level to the Job 250 monoblocs, but has a remote control and 4 output posts (A+B)...so more flexible suitable for my current setup. Bass control is outstanding.
    NORMAN
    M-Mini/ i7PC/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG Dac> Rowen Swiss Power NAD c375BEE /vintage McIntosh 2225/Lampi Silk power cond.+ Phase flipper> Energy 8" sub> Heil AMT KITHARA bi-wire. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. Unpowered USB cable, Uptone Regen. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my vintage McIntosh MA230 integrated amplifier. It is the first integrated amplifier McIntosh manufactured. It has a solid state preamplifier and a 30 watts per channel tube amplifier on a single chassis. The 7591 outputs tubes make very sweet music. It's not modern or high powered but it drives a pair of JBL 4312A speakers very well.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Larry

Wasn't Vinnie talking about coming up with a larger amp module? Would sure make it attractive to a bigger audience.
    I believe Vinnie gave up on a more powerful amp module for the Lio. He stated that he could not fit it in the current chassis. Maybe he will come out with a larger integrated in the future. I would jump on one of his integrated's if it was 100-150wpc which would allow a wider range of speakers.

Vinnie is a great guy. I talked with him a while at Axpona 3 years ago. That's where I fell in love with the sound of the Lio and Harbeth speakers. A very organic, natural and smooth sound with a killer midrange. I could have listened to that system all day. And the Lio has been improved since then with cleaner power and a much better DAC.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Other systems- Parasound A21 amp,Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid tube DAC and Preamp, Magnepan MMG's, Monitor Audio S1's, PSB B6's, Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000's, Velodyne sub, Adcom GFR-700 AVR, Music Hall 25.2 modified CDP, Cables by Cardas Parsec, AQ Columbia DBS 72v, Wire World.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast