Belt Drive Tables Stink - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Belt Drive Tables Stink

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    fair enough, those are list prices, not street prices. these are all high end, just not tip top of it.

and there are vintage TT's with new plinths in that $10k-$15k range that fit that profile too. to me that is the mid-point and where the drive approach seems to still show up sonically. above that point execution seems to improve and the negatives are much less obvious and it's more slightly different flavors.

just my viewpoint.

agree that $20k cash gets you into the top flight area one way or another. not bleeding edge top, but top none the less.

maybe the soon to be released SP-10R in a custom plinth will turn this upside down. we will just have to wait for a few production examples to get out there to be compared.

Agree totally, the refinement and accuracy at the pointy end takes chunks of cash for every gain , nothing linear about the cost performance . No way to get that level of refinement with 20K ...

This was obvious to me also when i heard Sharky Mikes Belt drive Cronos setup and analog front end, it exhibits a high level of refinement..

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Agree totally, the refinement and accuracy at the pointy end takes chunks of cash for every gain , nothing linear about the cost performance . No way to get that level of refinement with 20K ...

This was obvious to me also when i heard Sharky Mikes Belt drive Cronos setup and analog front end, it exhibits a high level of refinement..

Regards
    So your Post Header "" Belt Drive Tables Stink " is only related to belt drive turn tables that cost X number of dollars.
    Chris

(2 Chl): Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE Lumin D1, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L.exaSound e32, Marantz SA11S2. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS ,Vincent SP-331MKII , Quicksilver LS,Vapor Audio Breeze, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen, DL Labs, Blue Jean.. ,Bryston BCD-1,Timbernation Rack,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    I was just commenting regarding idlers. I don't know about rims, my point is well restored idlers can avoid the noise effect through horns. If someone did a similar thing to rim, it might work.
    An idler is a Rim drive system , unless Im missing something about Mikes VPI setup. BTW i do expect the lenco back soon So we will see if the BD 's stay ..

BTW , I have in the past , experienced the same noise issues Mike was having , usually caused from a noisy worn wheel or misalignment but they are noisy vs BD for sure , if you are used to the dead silence of BD's a Idler will be much different .

my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Are you in a contest with RR to see who can drag out the purchase of a real stereo system the longest? RR has been down since 2012. How long have you been without a functioning stereo system? Doing your homework is one thing, but we are way past the point of having multiple honorary Ph.Ds for all of the *homework* and reports that have been written by you and RR. Is there a system coming to your house in the "short term" or is your system still years out?
    With brexit places are tough to sell. Audio is a great dream but reality is harsher. Also if the current place sells it will be impossible to make a judgement on whether to buy until the brexit deal becomes clear. Prices are much lower from two years ago and further dropping. That's reality. And yes, Berning and atmasphere were bought my me and shipped to a friend's house since he has horns, as has been other gear, so that's how I whet my gear appetite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    An idler is a Rim drive system , unless Im missing something about Mikes VPI setup. BTW i do expect the lenco back soon So we will see if the BD 's stay ..

BTW , I have in the past , experienced the same noise issues Mike was having , usually caused from a noisy worn wheel or misalignment but they are noisy vs BD for sure , if you are used to the dead silence of BD's a Idler will be much different .

my 2 cents.
    The lenco I understand is very difficult to make quiet. Best to get PTPs

Post Thanks / Like

I think you were looking in the mirror when you typed that sentence. You have been running your mouth about my Ref 75 since I bought it and your constant diatribe and dogma about it being a clipping machine with the KO speakers has been never ending. But these pot shots are coming from someone who is embarrassed to list the gear in his own system.

Are you still in mourning that Crown went out of business?

Yes,

Right after i threw out my hard sounding KSA250 , you know the amp you blah blah blah about for yrs ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    The lenco I understand is very difficult to make quiet. Best to get PTPs

My crazy Tooby designer has it , claiming magic dust mods , we will see ...

Post Thanks / Like

The good news for some people might be that the SP-10 MKIII will drop in price enough that some people who wanted them will now be able to afford them.
    true. and here is a great example of that;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...idelity-plinth

this (if it's not yet sold) is a steal, and Ki is a super credible guy to deal with.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Will some of you please refrain from the childish bickering.

Keep it civil!!
    Mark

REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

10. Thanks Ritmo, Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, Paso De Lobo, slowgeezr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Will some of you please refrain from the childish bickering.

Keep it civil!!
    Thanks Mark: No matter what table you consider ‘best’, I started this thread simply to question the overwhelming dominant technology of the day. I was expecting to get bombarded with negative comments. When a company like VPI ( who built their reputation with belt drives ) produces a DD as their flagship, something does not add up.

On the other hand, Rega remains steadfast in the direction of belt drives.

I recently returned to direct drive for the speed consistency and torque. Understanding that high torque does not make a TT sound good, one cannot deny it’s convienence.

I remember the 1970’s when pivotal tone arms were questioned. A very small number of manufacturers produced linear tracking arms. When Garrard was producing zero tracking error tone arms, and Dual was making rim drives. It was all very exciting. I miss that environment of creativity and innovation. We now base the level of quality on one thing. The price.
    == Joe ==

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast