Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Yggdrasil break-in officially complete

This morning
    at 6:00 AM my new Yggdrasil DAC logged 1000 hours of continuous break-in. It is still playing music as I type, but as of today I will no longer feed a continuous digital signal to it when I am not listening. I will keep the Yggdrasil energized 24/7 so that it remains at operating temperature, but I will clear any playlists from the Aurender N100H when I am not enjoying the sound system.

The Yggdrasil demonstrated a slow and steady improvement in presentation, clarity, and texture through the first 500 hours, then only minor differences in warmth through about 700 hours. Between 700 hours and 1000 hours I have not noticed any sonic differences in the Yggdrasil's sound. I could have called the break-in complete at that time but felt I would let the break-in hours continue to accrue just in case there was some additional performance gains to squeeze from it. For all practical purposes the Yggdrasil break-in was complete at 500 hours with only very minor discernible changes in its sonic signature beyond that point. I am thrilled and completely satisfied with its sound, and consider the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC a remarkable and valuable addition to my living room sound system.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Re: Yggdrasil break-in officially complete

Very cool! I'm enjoying your journey so thanks for all the updates and the great original review.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Glad you are liking the Yggy, Dan. Thank you for taking us along for the ride during break-in.
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Brian.......

Sean.......

You are very welcome. It has been my pleasure to report on the progress of the Yggdrasil break-in, and also my pleasure to listen to this amazing DAC. The Yggdrasil is all about reproducing real music with no hint of digital baggage. I bought this DAC sight unseen without ever hearing it. I did so on the basis of several friends experience with it and a number of great published reviews. That is not how I usually operate, but knowing I could return it took the stress of the purchase off my shoulders. It did not take long for me to know the Yggdrasil was a keeper. Now, you couldn't pry the Yggy out of my living room system with a crow bar. It is here to stay.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I just may have to give one a try since they have a 30 day return policy. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it Dan.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    I just may have to give one a try since they have a 30 day return policy. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it Dan.
    Mechnutt.......Schiit Audio's return policy is 15 days from the day you receive the Yggdrasil. That is still plenty of time to get some break-in hours on it and become familiar with its astonishing ability to reproduce music that sounds real.
    Dan

I just turned off the Aurender N100H for the first time since beginning the Yggdrasil break-in 1012 hours ago. The Yggy will remain powered for its life. Good to know I got plenty of break-in hours on the Aurender music server, too. Lovin' the music this gear combination makes.
    Dan

Awesome Dan, glad we got to take part in the journey
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

DO NOT UNPLUG....will take a day or 2 to re-estabilize !
    Enjoy it in good health as they like to say in watch forums! Why there I’m not really sure.
    Tempus Fugit maybe? Or like we just say in this forum....FUGIT I’m gonna git it cause I think it sounds better
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Banned

I’m at 470 hours. I’ve officially shut off Roon Radio, my auto Roon backup can finally happen again tonight.

I’ve plugged my Mirus back in to give it a day to warm up for the weekend shootout.

Dan
    I'm sorry but that seems like an absurd number of hours for breaking in any component.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Dan
    I'm sorry but that seems like an absurd number of hours for breaking in any component.
    Jim.......What's there to be sorry about? The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC break-in, as I stated, was essentially complete after about 500 hours. You may have missed that comment. Those break-in hour totals are not uncommon with quite a few audio component manufacturers. Since I am leaving the DAC continuously energized I saw no reason not to just let a digital signal run through it for as long as I felt like it. It's not a prerequisite, it's just what I chose to do. Why not?

I just received my Simaudio MOON Neo 260D transport this afternoon that I'm using with the Yggdrasil. The 260D owner's manual says, "The performance of your Neo 260D will continue to improve during the first 400 hours of listening. This is the result of a break-in period required for the numerous high quality electronic parts used throughout the transport." Other manufacturers make similar break-in recommendations, some suggesting up to 600 hours break-in.

According to my point of view break-in is a real phenomenon. It doesn't much matter if the hours are logged intentionally or inadvertently. The hours still need to be logged. 1000 hours on the Yggdrasil may seem excessive to you but I certainly don't consider it absurd. Opinions may vary.
    Dan

Dan, I’ll be looking out for your Sim Moon review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Yggdrasil break-in officially complete