Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Audioshark

MSB Launches Two New DAC’s

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: MSB Launches Two New DAC’s

Mike,
    Very interesting -- would love to see how it compares to the outgoing MSB Dac V as well as Berkeley Reference, Chord DAVE & Emm labs.
    Hopefully it can deliver a fair dose of the magic of the Select DAC at an approachable price.

Anshul

I wonder if those prices include the choice of two inputs? So, if I was looking at the entry level discrete DAC plus I wanted an MQA USB and the Roon ethernet card. The pricing probably goes up. Can one defeat the internal volume control and you use your own pre amp ?

Sweet- figuring out my next upgrade

mdp- almost certainly extra
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Interesting news. The Discrete appears to be the Analog replacement and, with the included Discrete Power Supply, at $9,950 is very competitively priced.

Looks like the Premier could be sweet spot - the TOTR model with the new Prime DAC modules. The price for their modular inputs is not inexpensive though ...

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    Looks like the Premier could be sweet spot - the TOTR model with the new Prime DAC modules. The price for their modular inputs is not inexpensive though ...
    I tend to agree on the Premier sweet spot - though worry with Powerbase and modular renderer its going to be closer to 30k.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Just like the outgoing Analog DAC, it looks like MSB is not publishing the base clock specification(s) of both the Discrete and Premier DACs. However, they do mention that the Premier can be upgraded to the "all new Femto 93". I'm curious just how much extra $ this upgrade will add to the MSRP.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioguru1 View Post
    Just like the outgoing Analog DAC, it looks like MSB is not publishing the base clock specification(s) of both the Discrete and Premier DACs. However, they do mention that the Premier can be upgraded to the "all new Femto 93". I'm curious just how much extra $ this upgrade will add to the MSRP.
    The base clock has been the Femto 140, MSRP $5,000.

The Femto 77 MSRP is $10,000.

Let’s say the new Femto 93 MSRP is $7,500.

That would project to a MSRP upgrade cost of approximately $2,500.

Just a guess on my part. Premier DAC pricing could be scaled down commensurately.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Some more info and pictures of the Premier DAC:

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2018/01...blic.html#more
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Probably too early for this question. But, does MSB plan on producing companion transports for these DACS? At a more accessible price points than the recently announced ones.

If they made a Discrete transport with HDMI video (since I believe these new ones are based on the Oppo 203) I could remove the Oppo 205 from system and go to a full MSB stack DAC+Transport with HDMI ( I run it to a front projector)

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Probably too early for this question. But, does MSB plan on producing companion transports for these DACS? At a more accessible price points than the recently announced ones.

If they made a Discrete transport with HDMI video (since I believe these new ones are based on the Oppo 203) I could remove the Oppo 205 from system and go to a full MSB stack DAC+Transport with HDMI ( I run it to a front projector)
    First they will come out with the Reference Transport and then the Select Transport. After that, I would expect them to come out with a less expensive transport for the Premier and Discrete DACs. Based on how great the inexpensive UMT Transport sounded (now discontinued), all the new transports should sound outstanding.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Ken - are you ordering an MSB?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Ken - are you ordering an MSB?
    Not at this time but I will tell you that I am quite enamored with their products after hearing them at Axpona and RMAF last year.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Not at this time but I will tell you that I am quite enamored with their products after hearing them at Axpona and RMAF last year.

Ken
    Cool.

My plan is to audition the Premier and the Reference mano y mano when released. If the Premier is a baby Reference, then I will be extremely interested.

Does anyone know a more precise release date? I for one cannot wait to home audition the pimped up Reference DAC and compare to my Lumin T1. I am super happy with my sound at the moment so I am fascinated to see what the Reference will add. Will also try to audition the Brinkmann Nyquist. Game on.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Does anyone know a more precise release date? I for one cannot wait to home audition the pimped up Reference DAC and compare to my Lumin T1. I am super happy with my sound at the moment so I am fascinated to see what the Reference will add. Will also try to audition the Brinkmann Nyquist. Game on.
    It is still looking like June timeframe. Maybe a little sooner.

Let us know your thoughts on the REF DAC.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have had the good fortune to listen to the MSB Reference DAC a few days ago, as part of my quest to select the front end for a new system.
    It was fed by a proprietary music player hosted on a NUC, and played on YG Sonja loudspeakers through a solid state pre and a stereo power amp, pre-production pieces from a new manufacturer.
    I listened to a variety of music I know well of various resolution, at quite a low volume setting.
    I have been blown away. It has been a long time since I felt so moved by reproduced music.
    The sense of cohesion, transparency, resolution, depth and spaciousness of the soundstage has been unparalleled. I am comfortable to attribute most of it to the Reference, as there has been clear differentiation between different tracks.
    The thing is, plain redbook recordings sounded like I have never heard them before, and high resolution well recorded tracks were unbelievable and as I have never heard them.
    I am deeply impressed by MSB technology and what they have produced.
    best,
    gn

Glad to hear another positive Ref dac story - it is a friggin' awesome machine. I know everybody talks about the Select, but the Ref is right up there with it - and it *still* smokes the rest i've heard and has that eery its analog but digital feel.
    I am looking to get the Premier dac upon release - by dealer is going to be tired of me asking about it

Super Moderator

Now you are getting me excited.

Glad to hear another positive Ref dac story - it is a friggin' awesome machine. I know everybody talks about the Select, but the Ref is right up there with it - and it *still* smokes the rest i've heard and has that eery its analog but digital feel.
    I am looking to get the Premier dac upon release - by dealer is going to be tired of me asking about it
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Drool! I was listening to Elton John’s Captain Fantastic in MQA on the MSB today and it was just so unreal sounding. Can’t believe it’s digital. Sounds more like the best of tape and vinyl put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It is still looking like June timeframe. Maybe a little sooner.

Let us know your thoughts on the REF DAC.

Have decided not to go anywhere near the Reference. Out of my league. Will wait for the Premiere and test that (fully upgraded) against my Lumin (not a fair comparison on price, but I love my Lumin) and decide based on my perceived price to value. Will also try to find a dealer who does Brinkmann Nyquist (thanks Kuoppis) and also dCS (thanks Jack). Those are the 3 that excit me the most. Or an Esoteric N-01?
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

After some tought, I have ordered the MSB Premier DAC. It is expected to come sometime in June according to MSB. If I waited for the High end in Munich there was a risk of being August before the next delivery date.

Congrats Jabba! Hope the wait isn’t too agonising. Did you go for any of the upgrades (clock, power supply)?

Thanks AJR! The wait wil probably be fine. Some minor upgrades are already on its way. In between we have Munich.
    My dealer says that the next step is two discrete psu and then reference psu. He wil let me test both dual discrete psu and femto 93 clock. So with that in mind, I chose to buy it with rendering module as the only ekstra.

my msb dealer just delivered my tannoy speakers after a 7 hour drive !! i think he will be exhibiting msb gear at munich this year and probably these new dacs
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    my msb dealer just delivered my tannoy speakers after a 7 hour drive !! i think he will be exhibiting msb gear at munich this year and probably these new dacs
    Nice speakers, and beautiful finish. Where did your dealer drive from, and were you able to hear first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
    Thanks AJR! The wait wil probably be fine. Some minor upgrades are already on its way. In between we have Munich.
    My dealer says that the next step is two discrete psu and then reference psu. He wil let me test both dual discrete psu and femto 93 clock. So with that in mind, I chose to buy it with rendering module as the only ekstra.

Good choice for an extra the renderer. If you are going to start playing with the MSB and aren't quite sure, switching back to what you already thought was good is a very "appropriate" approaching moment to raising the bar on your expectations. Be warned about playing in the MSB upgrades, they work!

I see the MSB website has added on a picture and brief blurb re “The Premiere Power Base”... Jabba - do you know the price for this upgrade?

I see the MSB website has added on a picture and brief blurb re “The Premiere Power Base”... Jabba - do you know the price for this upgrade?
    Not yet, have ask my dealer and he may know more tomorrow.

The prize for Premier power base will be $ 7500, if you buy it with Premier DAC.

If you order it later the prize will be higher.

So I have requested a quote on Premier power base.

Audioshark

That’s how I ordered mine too. I also am getting the stock power supply so people can compare.

My hunch is that this is going to be an amazing product. I can’t wait to get mine.

Does anyone know the cost of the Femto 93 upgrade?

Any news out of Munich?

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

The reference stack on display, including two mono powerbases for the DAC, and the transport with its own power supply.
    Renderer Mk2 software updated twice in the last several weeks, on the fly.
    Impressive display.

I asked if I got a lift on the Premier DAC and it was heavy. Made of a piece of aluminium it is ultrasolid. As a buyer it was soothing to see and touch it. I was talking to both Jonathan and Daniel and they were so nice and down to earth.

MSB showed the Reference DAC with Roon playback via the Renderer module and full MQA capability.

The renderer is doing MQA unfolding and decoding and will then pass on the signal to the DAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post

I asked them if they wanted to make a matching transport. They replied at the moment they did not work with it. Possibility it could come next year.

I tend to agree on the Premier sweet spot - though worry with Powerbase and modular renderer its going to be closer to 30k.
    I think Keith is right:
    - Base price: $19,500
    - Power base upgrade: $7,500 (as per Jabba)
    - Roon ready renderer: $1,995 (I am guessing)

Then an additional say $2,500 (as per Ken’s guesstimate) for the Femto 93.

I notice on the website that there is no optional upgraded pre amp module (as per the Reference). Wonder if with the base output module it can be used as a decent pre amp, and how much one would need to spend to buy a separate pre amp to better it. Hopefully we will find out when Mike gets one in store!

I think Keith is right:

I notice on the website that there is no optional upgraded pre amp module (as per the Reference). Wonder if with the base output module it can be used as a decent pre amp, and how much one would need to spend to buy a separate pre amp to better it. Hopefully we will find out when Mike gets one in store!
    Yikes that adds up, seems like that price hovers below a basic, Reference out of the box, still a full 5 figure retail but at that level, may as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Surprised that we haven’t seen any comments or videos of the Premier from the launch event in Munich.

Mike

I think Keith is right:

Yes, they are clearly making a point why the Ref dac is 2x the price which is good. I really like my Music First preamp, so the Premier works well in my system.

I'm ordering the Premier w/ renderer only and will listen to the Power Base at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Surprised that we haven’t seen any comments or videos of the Premier from the launch event in Munich.
    Premier and Discrete were included only as an exhibition model. On MSB’s Facebook page, there is a photo of those two exhibited. Stereonet gave the SGR Audio a Applause Award, and they shared room with MSB.

These pictures are from My-Hiend.com

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics. That is the Reference, right?

Thanks for the pics. That is the Reference, right?
    That’s right. Picture number two and tree shows the Reference DAC and the Reference transport.

Picture number 4 and 5 shows the front and back of the Premier DAC.

The modul who is partial dragged out is the internal femto clock. They could chose this soulotion as the clock is still close to the DAC modules.

On the larger models, this did not go as the distance was to big. According to MSB, to much noise would be applied by using a cable between clock and DAC module.

MSB’s website now has the full pricing for the Discrete and Premiere. For the Premiere it is as per an earlier post except that the the upgrade to the Femto 93 is US$4,950, not US$2,500.

So a fully pimped Premiere will cost:

- $19,500 (base model)
    - $7,500 (Premiere power base upgrade)
    - $4,950 (Femto 93 upgrade)
    - $1,995 (Renderer input model)

So that is US$33,945 (plus the cost of an additional digital input if that is needed).

Am looking forward to learning about the quality of the pre-amp function. Also wonder how much better the Premiere power base upgrade will be compared to upgrading to the 2nd Discrete power supply (upgrade cost is $1,450).

Lots of options!

Fully loaded, the Premiere is within $6K of the Reference (base configuration). 🤔

Mike

Audioshark

A lot of my customers are starting with the base Premier and a Roon Renderer and will over time, add the clock and power supply.

Good spot!

We will all know the answers to these questions a while after Mike takes delivery of his Premiere...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team