Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review - Page 5
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    kzhtoo.......Once you have past 500 hours of break-in you will be 98% there. My Yggdrasil now has 924 hours of continuous break-in. Once past 500 hours I noticed only slight improvements in timbrel accuracy. Instruments, particularly acoustic instruments like guitar, double-bass, violin, piano, drums, and horns, achieve an astonishing accuracy that is so satisfying. Instruments and voices sound real, whole, full of life. Once I past 700 hours I have notice little to no additional change in the Yggdrasil's sonic signature, but I made the decision to keep a digital signal fed to it through 1000 hours. That should arrive by next Monday. At that point in time I will consider the break-in officially complete and will cease the 24/7 digital feed, but I will keep the Yggdrasil energized as recommended by Schiit Audio. It will always be ready to immediately rock when I send a digital file to it.

There is no shortcut for break-in. Keep the Yggdrasil energized and fed with a signal 24/7. The hours will while away before you know it. Nothing says you can't enjoy listening to it along the way.
    As always, thanks for being very informative, Dan. Yes, I’ll have the music keep playing through it for another few weeks. It already sounds a bit better than when I first turned it on. I think I started to grasp the sonic character of Yggdrasil and it’s one I like. I had a concern going in based on few reporting Yggy as jumpy. I haven’t felt that way so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just reread the Yggdrasil review. There isn't a single word in the description of the Yggy's performance that isn't the absolute truth. It is a truly remarkable digital to analog converter.

Last night I listened to Bill Frisell - Good Dog Happy Man on CD from the MOON Neo 260D transport through the Yggy. The layering of guitars, organ, bass, and drums is so well presented on this recording. The six minute tune "Shenandoah" drew me deeply into the interplay between Bill Frisell's unique guitar style and that of Ry Cooder's guitar. The Yggdrasil presented this entire CD in my living room as if there was no equipment at all, just sweet music at my beck and call. I have yet to listen to the Yggdrasil and not be immediately mesmerized when the music flows. This is a phenomenal DAC. It is worth all the praise it has received and then some. Adding the MOON transport is icing on the cake.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Never Connected PSU, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

3. Likes CPP, kzhtoo, Jim Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely true! listened to Elgar violin concerto, Hilary Hahn. you can hear the rosin on the bow on the incredibly high notes. the detail is amazing. I am lucky to find this DAC, I have no room in my budget for a $10,000 DAC. every thing Dan said is true! bob
    stereo: integrated amp: Triode TRX 88pp with KT 88 tubes. oppo 105 CD player, Schiit yggdrasil DAC, Harbeth 30.2 speakers., two REL T/5 subwoofers.

5. Likes jdandy, joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bob View Post
    absolutely true! listened to Elgar violin concerto, Hilary Hahn. you can hear the rosin on the bow on the incredibly high notes. the detail is amazing. I am lucky to find this DAC, I have no room in my budget for a $10,000 DAC. every thing Dan said is true! bob
    Yes, I hear this extreme detail too. Here are my experiences with solo violin:

http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post226992

Now that I have my Octave RE320 amp and the new speakers are broken in, I can report more on the Yggy's performance as it shines through after my system upgrades.

Stunning sound of orchestral massed violins (and violas, celli), just stunning. Silky smooth and fluid, superb resolution, surprisingly similar to what I am used to live. Even though it will never be the exact same of course, and a direct comparison might not be favorable, it still reminds me strongly of my last concert with the Boston Symphony and Stravinsky's Firebird, experienced from a very good seat.

I have rarely heard such superb sound of orchestral strings from analog (in other systems with top vinyl set-ups, can't speak for tape), even though on some occasions I did. Sorry, that's how I perceive it, can't do anything about what my ears tell me. And that from plain ole Redbook CD (Simaudio Moon transport --> MIT digital cable (AES/EBU) --> Schiit Yggdrasil DAC). I am super-excited about what I hear.

The massed violins on digital now have a lot of this elusive not just silky, but also airy quality that is just so rarely heard in home reproduction. I find it interesting, because for decades massed violins had always been a glaring (literally) weak point of digital, and in particular on Redbook CD. The Yggy clearly outshines all the DACs I had so far on massed violins, I know that from comparisons even before I had this level of resolution.

Digital has arrived. The Schiit Yggdrasil DAC rocks.

7. Likes Jim Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree. I think that the orchestral groups of violins have always been the great heel of Achilles of digital.
    Amazon 1 / Morch DP6- 12" / Air Tight PC1 / Audio Research PH-7 /Lumin A1 Network Player + Kenneth Lau LPSU /Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref 5 SE /Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Stereo / Rockport Atria I / MIT Magnum MA (Speakers and XLR) / AudioQuest Diamond XLR /AudioQuest Diamond and Cinnamon RJ45 Cables / Shunyata Denali 6000 T / Shunyata Sigma NR an Alpha NR Power Cables /Kenneth Lau LPSU for Aqvox Switch / Kenneth Lau LPSU for Router / Stillpoints Ultra SS and Mini / Entreq Silver product

Post Thanks / Like

A new review is out. A bit different as he switches from the Analog 1 to the 2.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....alog-2-upgrade

I figured I’d tag it on to Dan’s thread instead of starting a new one.
    Roon->sMS-200->Resonessence Invicta Mirus Pro->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Sabrinas / Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2

Post Thanks / Like

Good Schiit, man!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    A new review is out. A bit different as he switches from the Analog 1 to the 2.

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index....alog-2-upgrade

I figured I’d tag it on to Dan’s thread instead of starting a new one.

11. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff.......Thanks for the link to the SoundStage review of the Yggdrasil DAC. I believe Erich Wetzel and I came to essentially the same conclusions. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC is a serious performer worthy of inclusion in a high-end sound system. It is a remarkably musical DAC.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Never Connected PSU, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

Post Thanks / Like

Curious... didn't see in the Soundstage review anything about updating the firmware when going to analog 2. That's one of the reasons Schitt gives for requiring factory installation.

I'm over 400 hours now on my upgraded Yggdrasil, so don't expect much more change, if any. I notice a more 3-D sound and a hard-to-define sense of ease to the music.

Had a musician friend over a few days ago and when I played a song for him, he just kept shaking his head in amazement. He also listened to a song from his band's latest album, that had a certain down-mixed drum bit (he's the drummer) which he wasn't able to hear on other sysytems but was able to hear on mine.
    Bryston BDP-2Schiit YggdrasilAyre KX-5 Twenty…Benchmark AHB2Vivid V1.5
    Shunyata Python XLR...Cerious Graphene Extreme XLRHF Reveal AES/EBUOmega Mikro Planar I
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HCFurutech Flow-28...Mad Scientist First...Voodoo Vector...HF Reveal
    Mad Scientist Blackpod footers

14. Likes sksouri1456, joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrppv View Post
    Curious... didn't see in the Soundstage review anything about updating the firmware when going to analog 2. That's one of the reasons Schitt gives for requiring factory installation.

I'm over 400 hours now on my upgraded Yggdrasil, so don't expect much more change, if any. I notice a more 3-D sound and a hard-to-define sense of ease to the music.

Had a musician friend over a few days ago and when I played a song for him, he just kept shaking his head in amazement. He also listened to a song from his band's latest album, that had a certain down-mixed drum bit (he's the drummer) which he wasn't able to hear on other sysytems but was able to hear on mine.
    Mrppv.......I agree, there is a true sense of genuine musical character and timbre in the analog output of the Yggdrasil 2 that is completely engaging. I would also agree that the Analog 2 and USB Gen5 upgrades should be performed at the factory so that the firmware updates can be installed at the same time. It would be silly not to take full advantage of the available upgrades by doing a board swap yourself.

I am still loving my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC. It is an astonishing digital to analog converter.
    Dan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast