Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great DSD finds

Re: Great DSD finds

Brand new Holly Cole, just released.... available up to DSD128! I listened to it once.... well some of it. Feel a sleep after long day.... but the little I listened to was very good!

McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but isn't this supposed to sound better in PCM if its converted from the original master tapes to PCM directly? Nothing good happens by upconverting PCM to DSD... I'd stick to the master file (digital - PCM)!

Sorry ... just saw this only today. PCM and DSD are just containers.
    The real art is in the mastering and if done well the DSD version offers better dynamic range.

I can assure you the DSD version sounds fantastic.

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Art Pepper - The Intimate Art Pepper
    (Acoustic Sounds / Analogue Productions)

The original multi-track recordings were painstakingly mixed and transferred to 2-track analog by Rik Pekkonen and John Koenig. Remastered from the analog tapes by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman for the 2003 Analogue Productions SACD. Authored for DSD by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder, Colorado.

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

If you are interested in DSD256 recordings from analogue 15ips 2 track tapes, Bob Witrak has been doing those for some time. His company is High Definition Tape Transfers and he gets classical and jazz (many are from Jonathan Horwich, a fine jazz producer and engineer in Chicago) and if they are good enough to not need any editing, he records them directly onto DSD256 using the Merging Technologies HAPI system. His website is https://www.highdeftapetransfers.com.

For tapes that need a little editing, he transfers to DXD352 which I buy and will also offer them converted to DSD128 and other formats.

At last count he has well over 100 albums recorded in DSD256 (he calls it pure DSD256 if it is directly recorded to DSD256 from tape). He also has done other hirez formats, including some multichannel recordings. Many are classic recordings from the Golden Age of analogue, and many are recent releases, particularly the jazz ones. His mch recordings are, IIRC, all PCM hirez.

Bob offers the files in different formats - for example, the pure DSD256, he also offers in DSD128, and DSD64, as well as different PCM formats. I always get the format of the original file - normally DSD256 or DXD384. The lower resolution files are cheaper than the higher rez ones. The prices are competitive with other download sites, cheaper during his sales mentioned below. The engine he uses to provide the files for download seems to work very well, and I like that in your account, you have all the files you have ever ordered from him available for download, in case you accidentally mess up or erase the file.

Bob frequently has sales - 20% off plus an additional 10% for larger purchases, centered around the different holidays. Today is the last day of his President's Day sale. I have purchased a large number of his albums, almost all of the DSD256 and DXD352 classical albums. Most of the tapes he dubs from are 15ips 2 track, though a few are from 7.5ips 2 track, and 7.5ips 4 track.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I stubbled upon a bunch of bootleg reel to reel transfers of David Bowie albums. Whoever did the transfer encoded to DSD. They sound better than any of the CD recordings of the albums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    I stubbled upon a bunch of bootleg reel to reel transfers of David Bowie albums. Whoever did the transfer encoded to DSD. They sound better than any of the CD recordings of the albums.

This sound interesting. I have the Five Years collection in 96 kHz, would love to hear Ziggy Stardust in a good transfer to DSD.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Patricia Barber is definitely albums that grow on you. Very few people love on first listen, but her albums are so good and so well recorded. Like many fans, she has very much grown on me... Modern Cool is one album that I always test any change in my system with... such an amazing album... several of her albums are available in DSD...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

This one is a classic, just wonderful in DSD.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Bill Evans - Some Other Time
    (The Lost Session from the Black Forest)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/11...128fs_Download

The recordings on this album constitute the material from a June 20th, 1968 session recorded by Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer (HGBS) and Joachim-Ernst Brendt in Germany’s Black Forest that was originally intended for release on HGBS’s legendary MPS label but for some reason were never released. This is no ordinary recording. It’s a remarkable document of an under-represented period in the career of one of the icons of Jazz.

2 Channel Stereo :

And the follow up album ...

Bill Evans - Another Time
    The Hilversum Concert

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/12...128fs_Download

Bill Evans — Another Time: The Hilversum Concert, a spectacular never-before-heard live recording by the Bill Evans Trio featuring bassist Eddie Gomez and drummer Jack DeJohnette recorded in Hilversum, Holland, in the summer of 1968. Another Time is 2xHD’s first follow-up release to the widely celebrated Bill Evans Trio album, Some Other Time: The Lost Session from the Black Forest.

2 Channel Stereo :

I love Alan Parson albums.... I Robot has always been one of my favorite test albums when trying out a new piece of gear.... I used to have a UHQR version back in my vinyl days. I was thrilled when finding it available in DSD download.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I love Alan Parson albums.... I Robot has always been one of my favorite test albums when trying out a new piece of gear.... I used to have a UHQR version back in my vinyl days. I was thrilled when finding it available in DSD download.

always been a favorite of mine, from way back in the days, 1977 I think, I have the vinyl on Arista
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    This just sounds so good in double DSD. Big smile.

Listening to to this now. Very realistic!
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

I’m a latecomer to DSD and I’m always a little skeptical of the next-best-format.

But some of what I’m hearing in dsd format are some of the best I’ve heard. I’m going to be spending some quality time with this thread this weekend.
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

Welcome to the club.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Where is Fleetwood Mac Rumours available? Haven't been able to locate that one.
    Main System

Lumin X1 > Boulder 1161 > Scansonic MB3.5 B

Headphones

Home: HiFiMan Susvara > Schiit Lyr+
    Portable: Focal Radiance > AQ Dragonfly Cobalt / Chord Hugo 2

Quote Originally Posted by jmusica View Post
    I’m a latecomer to DSD and I’m always a little skeptical of the next-best-format.

But some of what I’m hearing in dsd format are some of the best I’ve heard. I’m going to be spending some quality time with this thread this weekend.

Highly recommend browsing the Acoustic Sounds DSD catalog.
    I have found their work to be beyond reproach.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/391/DSD_Downloads

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :

Any SHM did rip, actually!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

My favorite CCR album in 128 DSD, the best SQ I have ever experienced it.

Jmusica, I have a Japanese imported SACD of Fleetwood Mac Rumours. I ripped it and it came out beautifully!

Welcome to the DSD club. DSD sounds spectacular and to me it is the best of the best. I even go as far as using HQPlayer as the playback engine and Roon as my controller. I up-sample everything to DSD512. The better the recording the better the sound, of course. I find that those that I have purchased in DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256 up-sample even better!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have over 3000 DSD Albums and about 150 Esototeric sacd riped iso files,250 SHM sacd riped iso files so on and recently acquired 2xHD DSD128: Archie Shepp New York
    Contemporary Five, Cannonball Adderley Quintet- Liederhalle Stuttgarrt 67, Chet Baker - Early Chet,Lost tapes All three of them sound great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just heard this album ... Fantastic recording.

Quote Originally Posted by tkcha View Post

Cannonball Adderley Quintet- Liederhalle Stuttgarrt 67

2 Channel Stereo :

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Just heard this album ... Fantastic recording.
    That’s a nice one!

This one from Chasing the Dragon is spectacular!

http://www.chasingthedragon.co.uk/shop.html
    B&W803D3; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD player; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Sennheiser HD800S and AudezeLCD-XC headphones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Great DSD finds