Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: tonearm cable

tonearm cable

which tonearm cable sound better,
    natural,dynamics,3D...
    the Siltech Avondale2 or Furutech Silver Arrow 2?

cheers

Re: tonearm cable

I used the Furutech for a short while. It's pretty good, better (to me) than the Audioquest Leopard I had at the same time. I have since worked my way through some of the Kubala-Sosna line and liked all of them over any other phono cables I have had so far. They are a more natural, fleshed out sound, and very quiet cable. Happy cable hunting
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

You have to look at it from a system point of view. Phono cartridge >> cable >> pre-amp input stage. It's a synergy thing.
    You also have to look at it from a mechanical point of view. Is the cable compatible with the tone-arm.

I had a situation where the cable was not compatable with the tonearm. I owned an SME 3009 series III tonearm. I ordered a Morrow cable. This arm uses all RCA phono connectors (no DIN). Since I needed a 90 degree bend at the input end, Mike Morrow fabricated the cable with no connector barrels on the turntable side. It fit my Denon DP755 TT perfectly. It also brought new life to my rig. The turntable sparkled.

A few years later I purchased an SME M2-9R tonearm. This is the latest version of the SME 3009 series II. I affixed the Morrow wire with disastorus results. I could not believe the tonearm was so bad. After contacting SME it wss determined to be a wire mismatch.

Presently I am convinced the supplied Van den hull 501 cable is restricting my turntable performance. Since I need a 90 degree bend at the cable input, I am reduced to $2.50 adaptors between the tonearm output and the cable input. I purchased higher end adaptors (Audioquest) but they don’t fit. SME does not recommend aftermarket cables or provide a cable upgrade. So now I have a $4,500.00 analog rig connected via $5 worth of adaptors. Discouraging.

Does anyone know of a phono cable manufacturer that will customize cable configuration ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    == Joe ==

Joe, I have an SME M2-9 mounted on my vintage Thorens TD-160. I am using a Morrow PH-3 with good results. Quite a step up from the VDH. When I connected the Morrow directly to the arm, it interfered with the suspension but not the sound. I solved the problem by making a connection plate that allows me to connect at the back of the plinth. I uses Cardas connectors and shielded tonearm wire and it does the trick. It puzzles me that the Morrow cable had an adverse affect on the sound of your rig. With my SME arm it is not a miss match at all.
    Amplification: BAT VK-3i, BAT VK-200
    Speakers: Infinity RS7 Kappa
    Analog: Sota Star, SME M2-9, Sound Smith Aida, BAT VK-P5 6 Pak Plus
    Digital: Audirvana/Tidal, Sonos Connect, Denon DCD-1560, Emotiva XDA-1
    Power: ​PS Audio Power Plant Premier
    Cable:Harmonic Technology AC-11 Power, Audio Sensibility Impact SE PC OCC phono, Neotech NEI-3002 PC OCC balanced Interconnects, Acoustic Zen Satori PC OCC speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Does anyone know of a phono cable manufacturer that will customize cable configuration ?
    alp-tone audio... looks like they do custom work. i use their speaker and rca i/c cables and absolutely love the sound in my system.

https://alp-tone.com/

Dear Try: The SME M2-9 and M2-9R are different kettles of fish. Very different tone arms. As you know the 9 is a new straight design whereas the 9R is an “S” shaped refinement of the 3009 Series II. I am guessing here, but this could be the cause of my mismatch. I was as supprised as you are, given that the SME series III was such a perfect match. I am reluctant to use the Morrow phono cable after the bad experience. I am now trying to use Stager solid core silvers as a phono cable. If this does not work out, I will try Quicksilver silvers. Both wires not designed as a phono cable. The quicksilvers are shielded, the Stagers, unshielded.

I am impressed at how you solved your suspension problem.
    == Joe ==

Thanks for the tip aKnyght. I will contact them.
    == Joe ==

Contacted Alp-tone. Yea they are willing to make custom phono cables, but at a price in the mid five hundreds , it’s too much chance to take on sight unheard cables. If anyone knows of any other cables that are tried and true with SME, I would appreciate a recommendation. Has anybody had any experience with the VPI phono cables ? I think I can pick up a 1.2 mtr pair of these for $300.
    == Joe ==

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

tonearm cable