New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms - Page 6
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms

Thank you (if you are welcoming me)! I joined long time ago, almost never participated (never?). Maybe I should introduce myself if there’s a forum/thread for that (sorry for the bad manners).

2. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mocenigo View Post
    Have you tried also the 1200AS2? It is the first of a new generation of Icepower amplifier modules based on a new chipset. I would not be surprised if it sounded radically different from, say, the 700AS2.
    Yes and no "radical" difference whatsoever.
    Please note the 1200AS2 sits below top in the Nord hierarchy as well.
    I'd say about even. Then again I'm not quite as prone to audiophilia hallucinatory hyperbole of the latest greatest thing since sliced bread. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

To everyone who thinks the 'icepower' sounds great, who have also heard the Nord amp aswell.
    Is there really that big a difference between them?
    AJ doesn't think there is.
    Boenicke Audio W8 Speakers with SwingBase; Roksan Caspian CD Player; MFA Classic V2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo ; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Lumin D1 with Sbooster; Synology DS215j; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 97" Filmex Screen; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony BDP-S7200; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    If I wasn't clear, I should add the caveats - That is my comparison with carefully matched gain structure so the voltage outputs across the speaker terminals are matched and then instantaneous rapid switching between the 2 amps. That is not how they are typically compared. Plus I'm not reading all the Mivera stuff that might make PT Barnum blush, so again YMMV.
    I am certainly not saying that there can't possibly be any differences, with super low efficiency speakers (<82db) and pathelogical system architecture, etc, etc.
    I just don't test under such conditions. Others might.

cheers,

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to understand what you're saying ..... under your "comparing setup",

-> you didn't hear any different with your spk (which I suppose is > 82dB sensitivity). But you do suspect that if a spk with < 82dB will has some different.

Do I understand you correctly ?
    Regards, EH.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    STEREO
    Sources: Aurender A10
    Pre amp: Audio Research LS27
    Power amps: DIY Hypex Ncore NC400 mono
    Speaker: Monitor Audio PL200

AUDIO VIDEO
    AVR: Onkyo NR-3008
    Power Amp: DIY Class D Audio SDS-258 stereo
    Speaker Center: Monitor Audio PLC150
    Speaker Surround: JBL Control 1 + Speakercraft AIM5-Three In-Ceiling
    Sub: Rythmik F12SE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tane0019 View Post
    I'm trying to understand what you're saying ..... under your "comparing setup"
    I didn't hear any difference under those conditions. If you don't match gain/voltage across terminals and instant switch, then you are not comparing how I did...and your results might vary.
    If you have 78sb sensitivity passive network speakers with high phase angles and 0.5ohm impedance at 20k, then you are not comparing the non-pathelogical way I did...and your results might vary.
    If one is highly susceptible to PT Barnum sales pitches, then your results might vary. Etc, etc.
    So what I'm saying is, my results, of my comparisons, are for my specific purposes (research into amplification of active speakers, not purely subjective, anecdotal, enjoyment "listening"). It doesn't mean one can't have different results using different methods. YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Dummies View Post
    To everyone who thinks the 'icepower' sounds great, who have also heard the Nord amp aswell.
    Does anyone have any comments on this?
    What is the difference between the Nord (which I have) and Icepower?
    Boenicke Audio W8 Speakers with SwingBase; Roksan Caspian CD Player; MFA Classic V2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo ; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Lumin D1 with Sbooster; Synology DS215j; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 97" Filmex Screen; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony BDP-S7200; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Post Thanks / Like

This is a fascinating thread and I wanted to say I am very much looking forward to the updates. I have been on the fence for around a year with the nCore based technology after hearing Bruno's Mola Mola's, reading lots of positive reviews of Bruno's technology. I guess the million dollar question that we are all interested in is whether the new ice power module (without buffer flexibility) is as good as we need/possible. Bruno's philosophy as stated was to create an amplifier without any sonic signature. Perhaps utter neutrality becomes a zero differentiator and we focus on other components for personal emphasis of sound..?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you so much for joining.
    Joe

D'Agostino M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

11. Likes M5Sime liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Am I the only one checking this thread and hoping for more thoughts, feedback and insights into the 1200AS2 vs NC500 based amplification? :-)
    Tidal, Spotify sources | Sonore MicroRendu streamer | Mutec USB-AES reclock | Mytek Brooklyn DAC
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840a Amp | KEF LS50 | Cables various

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast