New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms - Page 14
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New B&O ICE Power 1200AS2 Module @ Nord: 600W into 8Ohms 1200W into 4Ohms

Dropped in the Nord 1200 tonight in place of my Hattor NC500 based mono amps. Out of the gate the 1200 throws a spectacular soundstage, left, right, front, back and up. Very 3D and airy sounding with almost exaggerated detail. Sounding a little thin but it is early. A crazy contrast I thought about as I carried the Nord in the house under one arm. I remember needing a hand truck and some serious heave ho to get my Parasound A21 in the house. Maybe this is why it sounds a little thin
    Marty
    Main system: Aurender N10, T&A DAC8 DSD and MP-D2 MK2, Audio Research REF5SE, Mono Amps, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII, Neotech and Furutech cabling and connectors.
    Office System: Aurender N100H, Audio Research LS27, Oppo Sonica, Nord 1200as, KEF R500

2. Likes Showroom Dummies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Marty,

That's two of you on this thread who are saying you like the 1200as2 better than the NC500 in your systems, that's good to know.

I wonder how much these conclusions are due to the op amps used in the NC500 based amps? Since that and the power supply are the only significant changes to be made IMO to alter the sound.

I assume you are running both amps balanced?

Post Thanks / Like

Greg I didn't say it was better but it is definitely different. Some attributes are better and some are not. I will need more time listening to each before I can say that I prefer one over the other. Stay tuned.

Yes I run a balanced signal from source to amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    So Marty,

That's two of you on this thread who are saying you like the 1200as2 better than the NC500 in your systems, that's good to know.

I wonder how much these conclusions are due to the op amps used in the NC500 based amps? Since that and the power supply are the only significant changes to be made IMO to alter the sound.

I assume you are running both amps balanced?
    Marty
    Main system: Aurender N10, T&A DAC8 DSD and MP-D2 MK2, Audio Research REF5SE, Mono Amps, Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII, Neotech and Furutech cabling and connectors.
    Office System: Aurender N100H, Audio Research LS27, Oppo Sonica, Nord 1200as, KEF R500

5. Likes Jack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marty,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, you did say it was sounding a little thin along with your praise of it. When I first started listening I didn't think it sounded thin really but I did hear some hissing and harshness on the top end. That didn't last very long though. The 1200 does throw a good soundstage in my room as well. I've heard better but always at the cost of something else.

Maybe when you have more time on the 1200as2 you could elaborate on the differences you hear between the two amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Greg what amps were you using prior to the 1200AS?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg F View Post
    Hey Marty,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, you did say it was sounding a little thin along with your praise of it. When I first started listening I didn't think it sounded thin really but I did hear some hissing and harshness on the top end. That didn't last very long though. The 1200 does throw a good soundstage in my room as well. I've heard better but always at the cost of something else.

Maybe when you have more time on the 1200as2 you could elaborate on the differences you hear between the two amps.
    Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Hey Greg what amps were you using prior to the 1200AS?
    If you're asking which ones I've used that throw a better sound stage I can answer that.

A friend brought over some 845 based amps, I can't recall the brand right now. These threw the biggest soundstage I have ever heard and sounded magical but they were a just little dark for my liking and not as quiet. In fact the noise floor wasn't that great. My Butler 2250 throws a huge soundstage and sounds very similar to the 1200as2 in tone but it's not as quiet either. I would say it is at least as big, maybe a little bigger than the 1200as2. The other amp is also a friends amp, the Don Sach Kootanay 200 which also threw a huge soundstage in my room. That amp I would be hard pressed to find flaw with and it may be better than the 1200as2. But since it isn't mine I haven't had a lot of time with it. The worst amp for soundstage I have heard in my system is the Crown XLS1500. This amp is classic class D in that it has a somewhat harsh top end, it's thin sounding and the soundstage is very small. In fact it wins for the smallest soundstage I've heard in my room to date.

Post Thanks / Like

Any more comparisons?
    Boenicke Audio W8 Speakers with SwingBase; Roksan Caspian CD Player; MFA Classic V2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo ; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Rothwell Rialto; Lumin D1 with Sbooster; Synology DS215j; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-HW45ES; 97" Filmex Screen; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony BDP-S7200; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14