KT 150 valves in Ref110 ?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

KT 150 valves in Ref110 ?

I just heard that some audiophiles are replacing their KT120 valves in their Ref110 amplifiers with the new KT 150 valves with no negative impact on the amplifier.

I was under the impression it cannot be done so now I am very curious to read if anybody on the forum has done so and what difference did it make?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KT 150 valves in Ref110 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
    I just heard that some audiophiles are replacing their KT120 valves in their Ref110 amplifiers with the new KT 150 valves with no negative impact on the amplifier.

I was under the impression it cannot be done so now I am very curious to read if anybody on the forum has done so and what difference did it make?
    I wish I had the Ref 110 to experiment with but I can tell you we upgraded my VT-100 successfully to include KT-120s which was a huge improvement in sound.

Before the Ref 75SE came out, Carl Marchisotto was upgrading his Ref 75 with KT-150s.

In both cases, it was a matter of having enough clearance for the tubes and having the transformer power match up well. In my VT-100 we added a fan from ARC which remarkably lowered tube temps by 20 full degrees Fahrenheit.

To be sure, I might check with AR's service department.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Lee,

I was advised by email by ARC to try KT150 tubes in my Ref110. I therefore assume it is quite safe to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

I am now also curious as to how will a Ref 150se sound with KT 120....?

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe that nobody seems to have tried KT 150 valves in a Ref 110... !!

My gut feel is KT150 valves in a Ref110 will be a stunning combination.

And... possibly have a longer tube life as the tubes are running well below their max rating ?