Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    Hmmm. I'd be upset if companies didn't learn and evolve their products to sound better.
    That is of course anecdotal subjective opinion/preference in this case, not fact. But that isn't my concern, but rather the way it was carried out, clearly expressed in my previous post. It seems very much like this was kept "secret", hence the CA Conman guy having to let the cat out of bag so to speak. I'm certainly more hesitant now about being an early purchaser, knowing that at any time there can be an upgraded model that only early adopters will have to pay extra for. But that's just me.

If MQA takes off, things should get more stagnant as we'll need Bob Stuart to evolve digital.
    That "evolutionary" path will still run through Bobs bank account, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Yep. Plenty old guys grew up watching too much Batman I guess.
    Sound like Dan found himself a winner, though I am a bit concerned by this whole upgraded output stage thing. Was it some big secret? Why was the original not designed this way?
    AJ.......The original Yggdrasil DAC has been around a few years. The modular design of the Yggdrasil allows them to develop advances in circuit design and performance into an existing product. In my mind this is value for customers that own an older Yggdrasil. A great many manufacturers continue product development but rather than make the advances available as an upgrade simply introduce the next model. If one wants the latest upgraded performance the old component has to be replaced. That is a far more expensive upgrade path. Schiit Audio's modular upgrade path allows owners to remain current at a much more reasonable expense. The Yggdrasil has had two USB input module upgrades, now at Gen 5, and now the Analog 2 upgrade of the modular analog output boards. The Analog 2 upgrade will cost $550.00. That is considerably less expensive than purchasing a new Yggdrasil with the Analog 2 upgrade at $2399.00. I like the modular aspect to future improvements. The ability to remain current with an existing component for a reasonable fee makes sense to me.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    I like the modular aspect to future improvements. The ability to remain current with an existing component for a reasonable fee makes sense to me.
    Fair enough, I was just unaware that they made this aspect of their products very clear to potential purchasers. It certainly wouldn't stop me from purchasing, though obviously now I will check that aspect before proceeding!

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    AJ.......The original Yggdrasil DAC has been around a few years. The modular design of the Yggdrasil allows them to develop advances in circuit design and performance nto an existing product. In my mind this is value for customers that own an older Yggdrasil. A great many manufacturers continue product development but rather than make the advances available as an upgrade simply introduce the next model. If one wants the latest upgraded performance the old component has to be replaced. That is a far more expensive upgrade path. Schiit Audio's modular upgrade path allows owners to remain current at a a much more reasonable expense. The Yggdrasil has had two USB input module upgrades, now at Gen 5, and now the Analog 2 upgrade of the modular analog output boards. The Analog 2 upgrade will cost $550.00. That is considerable less expensive than purchasing a new Yggdrasil with the Analog 2 upgrade at $2399.00. I like the modular aspect to future improvements. The ability to remain current with an existing component for a reasonable fee makes sense to me.
    I really like this modular design/upgrade approach as opposed to the replacement strategy practiced by most of their competitors. Schitt's strategy is very consistent with their high value orientation and appears to be well executed.

Banned

@jdandy any idea where the weight comes from? 24lbs is allot for a DAC. I assume the case for starters, does the weight balance shift a bit because of heavy power supplies maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Multibit delta sigma is still PCM, not DSD. This has been explained in discussions on Computer Audiophile by Michael Ritter from Berkeley, and other experts agree. One-bit delta sigma is DSD. So no, most PCM is still mastered as PCM.

Yes, realism IS magic if you look at it that way.
    No, Only the ladder approach of the PM2 is pure PCM. Delta sigma is bitstream tech with is closer to DSD/PWM...not pulse CODE modulation. For every one source you have I can find 10 to counter

Also, only micro slivers of conversion is needed in DSD mastering to change levels.

All of this is immaterial, as only the final SQ matters and how we feel about it. Not interested in techie internet debates of theory that have no bearing to absolute SQ. I see too much pontification online that conflict with actual experience and experimentation.

Please note, this is not an attack on you. You are fine in my book. Its OK to disagree and remain pals.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Yep. Plenty old guys grew up watching too much Batman I guess.
    Sound like Dan found himself a winner, though I am a bit concerned by this whole upgraded output stage thing. Was it some big secret? Why was the original not designed this way?
    That can be said about any item to include audio equipment, "why was the original not designed this way". Might as well ask, why do things change or evolve, Be it DACS, speakers, TV's, Cars, computers to medicine. I'm just glad things are evolving as it would be stale without a change
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Not interested in techie internet debates of theory that have no bearing to absolute SQ. I see too much pontification online that conflict with actual experience and experimentation.
    You used to be a fun guy Norman, what happened?
    Me, I love reading about old guys with GHz "hearing" and 14 bit speakers used for >16 bit production of 12 bit recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    That can be said about any item to include audio equipment, "why was the original not designed this way". Might as well ask, why do things change or evolve, Be it DACS, speakers, TV's, Cars, computers to medicine. I'm just glad things are evolving as it would be stale without a change
    Well, we could speculate all day...or go to the horses mouth:
    Now in Analog 2 form (shipping since late 2017), we’ve combined the output of four of these DACs with DC-coupled, low-noise, Class A JFET buffers and summers with high current output capability to drive long cable runs and low-impedance line inputs, such as 600 ohm professional gear.
    In engineering speak, it means they upgraded the output to be compatible with a wider variety of system architectures, in audiophile speak, it was an automatic aural "upgrade".
    IOW, it could end up sounding better in some systems...or not at all. Unless I missed it, Schiit themselves are not making such claims?
    Regardless, I consider what they did as good practice, given the above.

In engineering speak, it means they upgraded the output to be compatible with a wider variety of system architectures, in audiophile speak, it was an automatic aural "upgrade".
    IOW, it could end up sounding better in some systems...or not at all. Unless I missed it, Schiit themselves are not making such claims?
    AJ a question, do you ever upgrade your speaker components ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    AJ a question, do you ever upgrade your speaker components ?
    In existing designs, no.
    An exception would be if the component became obsolete, but that would be by necessity. That's all a red herring of course (although a definite trend in threads around here).
    Schiit is upgrading their output section for a specific and I would say, worthwhile purpose, as they plainly stated.

Banned

These are their words:

Yggdrasil Analog 2 includes many refinements, including all-new Class A, DC-coupled discrete FET buffer stages and completely different internal board structure. The result is increased line driving capability, slightly lower noise and distortion, and…most importantly…significantly better sound!*

*Yeah, that’s subjective. Yeah, we’re biased. So sue us.

These are their words:

Yggdrasil Analog 2 includes many refinements, including all-new Class A, DC-coupled discrete FET buffer stages and completely different internal board structure. The result is increased line driving capability, slightly lower noise and distortion, and…most importantly…significantly better sound!*

*Yeah, that’s subjective. Yeah, we’re biased. So sue us.
    Didn't see that on the website. Link?

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

Didn't see that on the website. Link?
    It was posted in this thread, post #80. Many people quoted again too.

@jdandy any idea where the weight comes from? 24lbs is allot for a DAC. I assume the case for starters, does the weight balance shift a bit because of heavy power supplies maybe?
    Jeff.......Weight adds up quick when you consider there are three iron core transformers on the large double sided motherboard. The entire DAC is a modular design. There are separate plug in circuit boards for DSP, SPDIF, USB, and analog output stages. Added to that is a sophisticated power supply. All circuit boards are separated and stacked on screw type stand offs. There is a steel chassis covered with the curved and contoured aluminum cover and face plate. There is a lot going on under the hood of the Yggdrasil that culminates in 24lbs of finished DAC goodness. It's not a DragonFly, that's for sure.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I believe bulk of the weight comes from the atypical aluminum chassis enclosure they are using - the entire motherboard is housed on a thick aluminum bottom plate which then goes inside the chassis aluminum enclosure. Its a puzzle to open it.

Hope you're loving your Schiit, Dan.
    Last edited by Sean; January 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Wrong thread
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

You used to be a fun guy Norman, what happened?
    Me, I love reading about old guys with GHz "hearing" and 14 bit speakers used for >16 bit production of 12 bit recordings.
    Too many avenues of SQ improvement to pursue. No time for dogma...call me Nick...Nick Copernicus. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived