Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Now, this is just playing trick with words. Someone claimed "nothing under $10k", which Kuoppis thinks is over the top and after a few back and forth, you just added "definitely beats the Yggy".
    Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it. Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

BTW, I'm considering the Yggy although I'd like it in black.
    Might sound a bit darker than the Silver but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post

Might sound a bit darker than the Silver but who knows?
    I have no doubt it will. That's why my speakers are in grey to balance out the many black components I have.

Seems I misread about you adding "definitely beats the Yggy". My apology.

Seems I misread about you adding "definitely beats the Yggy". My apology.
    No worries, I think slight misreads lead to most of the disagreements online.

Haha on the grey speakers balancing black components, you got it!

I was a bit apprehensive about the Schiit stuff initially, but I've "warmed" to them. Some of their stuff seem pretty solid. Maybe break in time?
    Happy New Year

Nothing like derailing a good thread.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Nothing like derailing a good thread.
    Funny how it always starts with someone that has something else a bit better. I thought bhodi/melbguy whatever was back for a minute there.

Dan, ​congrats on the Schiit purchase, I am really impressed with the brand.

Looks like everyone had some time on their hands today.

Consensus, subjective opinion, and personal bias can be powerful influences but none of that carries the weight of direct hands-on experience with a particular audio component in your sound system. Purchasing factory direct can be intimidating, especially when a purchase decision has been colored by subjective views of others without additional proof source. There is little doubt my point of view about the Yggdrasil DAC purchase was governed to some degree by the personal testimony of other respected Schiit Audio Yggdrasil owners, Gungnir Gumby owners, and a number of positive reviews published in popular audio magazines. What eased my apprehension about purchasing the Yggdrasil DAC unheard was Schiit Audio's 15 day return policy. It's not too scary dropping $2299.00 when you have a promise to get it back if you are less than satisfied. Had it not been for that option I may have held off buying a Yggy until I had some real face time with one. It is now day seven of my 15 day return window. I can safely state that this DAC will not be returned to the factory. I believe I can also stick my neck out far enough to say I would be quite surprised to hear of anyone getting several hundred hours on their Yggdrasil and deciding to return it. With only 172 hours on mine at this point, I am heartily impressed with its performance.

All claims aside about how the Yggdrasil may stand up against competitors irrespective of price, I did not make my purchase to secure any kind of bragging rights. I bought the Yggdrasil because I needed a DAC for my new Aurender N100H music server that would satisfy my very picky nature with respect to authentic hi-end sound quality. I also wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the difference I might hear between the delta sigma DAC's I have intimate experience with and the ladder DAC, as well as the Mike Moffat designed and refined Closed-Form digital filter. The newly designed Gen 5 USB input is remarkable as well. The overall circuit topology of the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC offers several unique and ingenious electronic designs and parts choices I find fascinating. It is the dissimilarity from the norm that intrigues me.

All the positive comments in the world, or negative ones for that matter, are no substitutes for real world experience. I have been fortunate enough to have hands-on experience with quite a few high quality DAC's and have auditioned several others in passing. Listening to the Yggdrasil slowly gain its permanent voice is not my first cup of tea. Consequently I am confident I can recognize the qualities I wish to be present from a DAC in my system. Whether the Yggdrasil DAC can go head to head with pricier DAC's or outperform cheaper DAC's is not my concern. I want a DAC that simply steps out of the way of the digits and leaves nothing but music in its path. What I have determined to this point is the $2299.00 price for the Yggdrasil is an absolute bargain. I am equally positive their is additional performance to be gained as the break-in progresses.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Looks like everyone had some time on their hands today.

Consensus, subjective opinion, and personal bias can be powerful influences but none of that carries the weight of direct hands-on experience with a particular audio component in your sound system. Purchasing factory direct can be intimidating, especially when a purchase decision has been colored by subjective views of others without additional proof source. There is little doubt my point of view about the Yggdrasil DAC purchase was governed to some degree by the personal testimony of other Schiit Audio Yggdrasil owners, Gungnir Gumby owners, and a number of positive reviews published in respected audio magazines. What eased my apprehension about purchasing the Yggdrasil DAC unheard was Schiit Audio's 15 day return policy. It's not too scary dropping $2300.00 when you have a promise to get it back if you are anything less than satisfied. Had it not been for that option I may have held off buying a Yggy until I had some real face time with one. It is now day seven of my 15 day return window. I can safely state that this DAC will not be returned to the factory. I believe I can also stick my neck out far enough to say I would be quite surprised to hear of anyone getting several hundred hours on their Yggdrasil and deciding to return it. With only 146 hours on mine I am heartily impressed with its performance.

All claims aside about how the Yggdrasil may stand up against competitors irrespective of price, I did not make my purchase to secure boasting rights. I bought the Yggdrasil because I needed a DAC for my new Aurender N100H music server that would satisfy my picky nature with respect to authentic sound quality. I also wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the difference I might hear between the delta sigma DAC's I have intimate experience with and the ladder DAC and the Mike Moffat designed and refined Closed-Form digital filter. The overall circuit topology of the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC offers several unique and ingenious electronic designs and parts decisions I find fascinating. It is the dissimilarity from the norm I find intriguing.
    The only thing that matters is that you enjoy it, as you have it in your system. Everything else is just noise.

Looks look like you’re taking the same burn-in approach as described in the TAS review, except that you’re enjoying it already now. What was interesting in the review was that Harley said it is not impressive for the price. Rather than it is great in absolute terms, period.

And Harley compared it to the 20K Berkeley Ref II, impressive.

Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

.... I also wanted to satisfy my curiosity about the difference I might hear between the delta sigma DAC's I have intimate experience with and the ladder DAC and the Mike Moffat designed and refined Closed-Form digital filter. The overall circuit topology of the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC offers several unique and ingenious electronic designs and parts decisions I find fascinating. It is the dissimilarity from the norm I find intriguing.
    This is where subjectivity comes in. I've heard a Chord Dave myself, and at $120000, it doesn't beat the Yggy (IMO). I couldn't get over the Delta Sigma edginess albeit less so than in most DACs of that kind. It is worth noting that my Yggy is served by an LPS-1 powered Microrendu + Mutec MC3+ converting to AES and reclocking. The Dave wasn't, however it's creator states its USB is immune to any hash, so I figure it was a fair comparison. I will stand forward and rephrase my earlier statement so that we can all move on and spend some time with our families.

Instead of:
    "It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it"

Let's go with:
    "It's a great DAC and there is no consensus that anything less than 10k definitively beats it"

Instead of:
    "It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it"

Let's go with:
    "It's a great DAC and there is no consensus that anything less than 10k definitively beats it"
    Or just lose the $10k thing altogether.

I should probably up it to 12k

I should probably up it to 12k
    Then it'll just sound more ridiculous.

Gentlemen.......Come on. I made a good effort to get this thread back on track. It would be pleasant if you would respect that.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Gentlemen.......Come on. I made a good effort to get this thread back on track. It would be pleasant if you would respect that.
    Congratulations on your new DAC! Enjoy!
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Quote Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
    Congratulations on your new DAC! Enjoy!
    SCAudiophile.......Thank you. I am enjoying it. The Yggdrasil now has 196 hours of break-in with a signal passing through its circuits, plus an additional 72 hours of burn-in on the shelf at the factory before shipping. I listened this afternoon for two hours and all I can say is this Schiit's getting real. It is beginning to captivate my complete attention in the music, not the component. Color me one happy camper.

Dan

Congratulations on your new DAC Dan. I have heard good things about the brand. The only thing I wish this DAC did was DSD. I am a huge DSD fan (including ripping SACDs).

I am happy with my Wyred, but I respect other brands that offer quality and performance for reasonable prices. I also like American made when possible!

Continue to enjoy the break in!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thank you for the continued follow up remarks Dan!
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

The Yggdrasil break-in is progressing very well. I now have 314 hours on it. At this stage the DAC is sounding significantly better with each passing day. I listened to the Yggdrasil this morning for almost four hours with no hint of listener fatigue. The DAC is opening like a rose, ever so slowly presenting its inner beauty. The early symptoms I experienced with some upper midrange and high frequency glare with a slightly congested soundstage have disappeared. There is no denying the engaging musical characteristics of the Yggdrasil's presentation. Listening sessions are becoming quite enjoyable.

I am still feeding the Yggdrasil with a digital signal from my Aurender N100H 24 hours a day, 7 days a week nonstop. My plan is to begin a serious evaluation of its performance for a full review once I have exceeded 500 hours of break-in. There is some time to go, but it certainly isn't stopping me from enjoying the Yggdrasil during the process. The Yggdrasil is one sweet DAC. Today would have been my last day to return the DAC for a refund. All I can say is no way, no how. The Yggdrasil is here to stay.
    Dan

Dan, good for you & I hope you & Mike both are safe from harms way once again I do imagine with that much Schiit in you system there won't be enough room anywhere near for any more any way. I'm enjoying mine & it sure as hell sounds like you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Dan, good for you & I hope you & Mike both are safe from harms way once again I do imagine with that much Schiit in you system there won't be enough room anywhere near for any more any way. I'm enjoying mine & it sure as hell sounds like you are too!
    Kevin.......I am happy to know you are enjoying your Yggdrasil. It is a serious performer. I enjoyed a two hour listening session earlier today with mine. With 332 hours of break-in behind me, the Yggdrasil DAC is truly starting to strut its stuff. Solo piano carries excellent weight, timbre, and dynamics in the lowest octaves, single notes are pure with no hint of glare or grain. Sustained notes hang perfectly as they diminish, and full chords combining multiple keys convey a stunning richness that is emotionally captivating. The Yggdrasil is beginning to become invisible, leaving only the embodiment of natural sound in its wake. I am so pleased I made this purchase.
    Dan

The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation of sounds can be startling. They are that real and that thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear an underdog, but be forewarned. This DAC kicks ass.
    Dan

Dan - Glad you are very happy with the Schiit DAC. That is quite an endorsement!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

The Yggdrasil DAC is absolutely astonishing. I have 494 hours break-in logged at this time. During my listening sessions I have already started taking notes for my review. This past several of days the Yggdrasil has floored me more than once. The authenticity of instrument sounds and voices is so realistic and natural it is almost uncanny. I continually find myself awestruck as I listen. I am pulled into the performances every single time. I have not yet compared the Yggdrasil to the Esoteric K-01X in the studio system. I'll get to that one of these days, but I swear the Yggy is neck and neck with the K-01X, if not superior, in its ability to present music in a genuine, captivating, and immersive way. No matter the price, the Yggdrasil is a serious competitor with DAC's way up the digital converter food chain. Its performance level has reached a place where the accurate representation if sounds can be startling. They are that real and that thrilling. Its price may make the Yggdrasil appear an underdog, but be forewarned. This DAC kicks ass.
    Thank you for the update. That's assuring. I ordered one last week.

Thank you for the update. That's assuring. I ordered one last week.
    kzhtoo.......You will soon be posting praise for the Yggdrasil. It is an exceptional DAC. It makes voices and instruments sound real. What more can a person ask?
    Dan

kzhtoo.......You will soon be posting praise for the Yggdrasil. It is an exceptional DAC. It makes voices and instruments sound real. What more can a person ask?
    Only thing I’d ask for is DSD support. If they offered that I’d consider buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    Only thing I’d ask for is DSD support. If they offered that I’d consider buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For me it was quite the opposite. I didn't want to waste money on capabilities regarding unicorn formats like DSD and MQA which I have zero interest in. I am glad that all the engineering went into just PCM and that the Yggy shows that even Redbook CD is an extreme high resolution medium.

Unicorn format?

I have more DSD than PCM in my collection! My collection is in the multi terabyte range.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    For me it was quite the opposite. I didn't want to waste money on capabilities regarding unicorn formats like DSD and MQA which I have zero interest in. I am glad that all the engineering went into just PCM and that the Yggy shows that even Redbook CD is an extreme high resolution medium.
    Indeed that is why I bought the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. For me DSD is dead. I don't own any SACDs not will I ever own any.

You actually have my dream combo Aurender and Yggy. I had to settle for the Auralic aries SE and Gungnir Multibit.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Banned

A new Yggy Analog stage has been announced:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...released-r689/

Recent purchases might already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post

Dan does your dac have the new analog stage ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

This is really cool. When I had the Yggy, it didn't have the USB Gen 5 board and it sounded awesome - big 3d soundstage. I had to sell it because my DSD collection is ever growing. Now with Gen 5 USB and Analog 2 board, I can only imagine how better it would sound.

Great DAC choice Dan and I might even spring for one with all these new upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Dan does your dac have the new analog stage ?
    It would appear so, since the linked article states:

Yggdrasil Analog 2 has been shipping since late October, so many Yggdrasil owners have been enjoying it for some time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    This is really cool. When I had the Yggy, it didn't have the USB Gen 5 board and it sounded awesome - big 3d soundstage. I had to sell it because my DSD collection is ever growing. Now with Gen 5 USB and Analog 2 board, I can only imagine how better it would sound.
    If your collection is DSD64 mostly converting it to 24/176.4 still sounds darn good in my opinion. I used to do it with my Devialet.

Thanks for the heads up on this; just ordered an upgrade. Added the gen 5 USB to the order, even though I'm not currently using USB.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Jeff.......I am one of the fortunate ones that received the Analog 2 upgrade, and best of all it came without the $100.00 price increase that Yggdrasil is now priced ($2399.00) on the Schiit Audio website.

Yggdrasils with Analog 2 boards are designated with a serial number prefix of “B,” rather than “A.” My Yggdrasil has the serial number prefix "B". I am happy I don't need to send my Yggdrasil back to the factory for this Analog 2 upgrade.
    Dan

Banned

Well, now that there's a new Class A analog section, I'm intrigued again. Some of the reviews in the past concerned me enough not to try one out. Any chance at all of brightness doesn't work with my slightly damaged ears. Not saying the old one was actually a bit bright, but I wasn't willing to take that chance with shipping to Canada and brokerage etc.

A side to side comparison review with the original would be nice. Was the old output stage also Class A? If not it gives me an slight idea of how the sound would change.

I am one of the fortunate ones that received the Analog 2 upgrade, and best of all it came without the $100.00 price increase that Yggdrasil is now priced ($2399.00) on the Schiit Audio website.

I am happy I don't need to send my Yggdrasil back to the factory for this Analog 2 upgrade.
    Yes, I am paying for being an early adopter... paid the same base price as you, but now $700 plus shipping two ways, to equal your model. C'est la vie.

On the plus side, my place in the upgrade queue came up less than 30 minutes after I placed the order. So, its on its way.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Well, now that there's a new Class A analog section, I'm intrigued again. Some of the reviews in the past concerned me enough not to try one out. Any chance at all of brightness doesn't work with my slightly damaged ears. Not saying the old one was actually a bit bright, but I wasn't willing to take that chance with shipping to Canada and brokerage etc.

A side to side comparison review with the original would be nice. Was the old output stage also Class A? If not it gives me an slight idea of how the sound would change.
    I sent Schiit a email asking that same question, Was the old output stage also Class A? so far the person responded noted the answer wasn't in his documents so I asked if maybe he could ask Mike or Jason.

Update from Jason Stoddard. ""Yes, there's really no such thing as Class AB or Class B small-signal stages."

If your collection is DSD64 mostly converting it to 24/176.4 still sounds darn good in my opinion. I used to do it with my Devialet.
    Conversion can sound good, but loses the magic...I confirmed this even on a kick ass Goldmund system.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Conversion can sound good, but loses the magic...I confirmed this even on a kick ass Goldmund system.
    But this is about kick ass Schiit.

Well, you opened the door talking about conversion and mentioning Devialet. Be fair now!

Fruit of the poisoned tree.
    NORMAN

There is no brightness whatsoever. I agree with most of Robert Harley's review but not on this point. The Yggy is simply more true to the timbre of real instruments. Flute sounds darker than on my Berkeley, as it does in real life. Violin sounds more wooden and more convincing. On the other hand, trumpet sounds brighter and sharper on the Yggy, again more in line with a realistic sound. Piano sounds more extended towards both register extremes. Vocals sound sublimely natural, with no emphasized sibilance.

I have the old analog stage, the new sound can only be better.

I don't care about magic, but about realism. PCM conveys the realism of actual instruments to me.

Having said that, if I cared about DSD which I don't, I'd prefer it in native form. But then, most DSD is not native to begin with, since it involves PCM in the mixing/mastering stage.

Most of my DSD are Tape and vinyl rips!

Its PCM that involves DSD conversion in the mastering chain. Since the demise of the Pacific Microsonics, what pure PCM chain exists? All the Pro gear is delta sigma.

For me magic IS realism and vice versa.

Having said all this, I LOVE PCM too and while I dont bow down to MQA, I welcome it as a viable and credible alternative.

The YGGY is not my favourite Dac, but having heard it in a more everyday system, I prefer it to when I heard it in the ultra neutral bespoke system. Great value for money too....but not exactly my cup of tea. I will be for others, so its all good.
    NORMAN

Most of my DSD are Tape and vinyl rips!

Its PCM that involves DSD conversion in the mastering chain. Since the demise of the Pacific Microsonics, what pure PCM chain exists? All the Pro gear is delta sigma.

For me magic IS realism and vice versa.

Having said all this, I LOVE PCM too and while I dont bow down to MQA, I welcome it as a viable and credible alternative.

The YGGY is not my favourite Dac, but having heard it in a more everyday system, I prefer it to when I heard it in the ultra neutral bespoke system. Great value for money too....but not exactly my cup of tea. I will be for others, so its all good.
    Multibit delta sigma is still PCM, not DSD. This has been explained in discussions on Computer Audiophile by Michael Ritter from Berkeley, and other experts agree. One-bit delta sigma is DSD. So no, most PCM is still mastered as PCM.

Yes, realism IS magic if you look at it that way.

Banned

Well, you opened the door talking about conversion and mentioning Devialet. Be fair now!

Fruit of the poisoned tree.
    That’s a fair analysis as the Devialet was going to poison it anyway. HQPlayer doing it sounded better. Moving on to my current DAC, I still think the HQPlayer conversion does a good job, I’ve done it a bit with the Mirus to test evening the volume disparty with DSD.

I agree with Norman. The Yggdrasil has always been intriguing to me, but I am a huge fan of DSD (which I might add I directly blame on Norman who convinced me to try it a couple years ago). Between DSD downloads, DSD64, 128, and 256; and my SACD rips so that I can play them on my server, I now have 275 albums, most of which are my favorites. I personally hear a huge difference.

Yes, I enjoy PCM, and even occasionally a CD rip, but all in all I enjoy DSD much more. Therefore not having DSD in any DAC would be a deal breaker for me. That is not saying anything negative towards those who prefer to stick with PCM. There is nothing wrong with that what so ever.

MQA has been a non-starter for me at this time. Who knows what the future will bring. But, since I currently have no interest in streaming the only thing that matters to me is the best sound I can get on local files (that I can afford), and at this point that is DSD.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Multibit delta sigma is still PCM
    Yep. Plenty old guys grew up watching too much Batman I guess.
    Sound like Dan found himself a winner, though I am a bit concerned by this whole upgraded output stage thing. Was it some big secret? Why was the original not designed this way?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Sound like Dan found himself a winner, though I am a bit concerned by this whole upgraded output stage thing. Was it some big secret? Why was the original not designed this way?
    Hmmm. I'd be upset if companies didn't learn and evolve their products to sound better. If MQA takes off, things should get more stagnant as we'll need Bob Stuart to evolve digital.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived