Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

My new Schiit Yggdrasil DAC
    arrived this afternoon. It didn't take long to unpack the double boxes and get the Yggdrasil installed in the living room rack. I relocated the Aurender N100H music server to the top shelf on the right side of the turntable and slipped the Yggy onto the shelf where the Aurender and W4S DAC2 had been. The silver finish looks rather charming with the black components. Marlene even commented that she thought it looked nice in silver.

The Yggdrasil is connected to the Aurender N100H with a Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB cable and is powered with a Wireworld Silver Eclipse power cord. Setup was simple and easy. In no time I had music pouring from the PMC EB1i speakers into the living room from the N100H and the Yggy through the C2300 and MC452. I have to admit the Yggdrasil sounds good right out of the box with the 72 hours of burn-in at the factory. I expected to be underwhelmed but I am pleasantly surprised. Of course I'm not overlooking all the testimony with respect to additional break-in hours and expect the quality and integrity of the Yggdrasil's sound to steadily improve. None the less, I am experiencing no problems listening to the Yggdrasil in its present state of freshness.

I plan to leave the Yggdrasil energized 24/7 for its entire life. The power switch is located on the rear panel and I see no reason to ever turn it off again. The good people at Schiit said they never turn their DAC's off. That's good enough for me. Once I have 400 to 500 hours on the Yggy I will get serious with taking notes and developing a review. For now my plan is to let the Yggdrasil play and log plenty of break-in hours. More to come.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

Re: Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived

Congratulations Dan. I’m interested too and have been reading other reviews. Looks like a winner. Can’t wait for your updates.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Congrats, looks nice in the rack.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

I spent five hours listening to the Yggdrasil DAC this afternoon and evening. It is now silent, powered on and burning in. First impression aside it needs time to mature, just as everyone has stated. Although I could clearly sense the potential of its musical nature, I also picked up on some edge and glare in upper register piano notes, horns, and upper fret guitar notes. Bass seems solid and tuneful but I expect the entire frequency range will reach a more harmonious stride once several hundred hours of burn-in has passed. I will check in on the Yggdrasil from time to time over the next three to four weeks as the burn-in progresses to measure the purity of its development, keep notes on what I hear, then at approximately 500+ hours I will begin paying serious attention to its sound. Until that time I will remain patient. I'm positive there is a sleeping giant here that needs to be gently prodded awake.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Looking forward to how it stacks up against your Esoteric K-01X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    I spent five hours listening to the Yggdrasil DAC this afternoon and evening. It is now silent, powered on and burning in. First impression aside it needs time to mature, just as everyone has stated. Although I could clearly sense the potential of its musical nature, I also picked up on some edge and glare in upper register piano notes, horns, and upper fret guitar notes. Bass seems solid and tuneful but I expect the entire frequency range will reach a more harmonious stride once several hundred hours of burn-in has passed. I will check in on the Yggdrasil from time to time over the next three to four weeks as the burn-in progresses to measure the purity of its development, keep notes on what I hear, then at approximately 500+ hours I will begin paying serious attention to its sound. Until that time I will remain patient. I'm positive there is a sleeping giant here that needs to be gently prodded awake.

Congrats Dan! The Yggdrasil has also caught my eye. Your journey so far has me even more interested. Looking forward to reading more as you get along with the new unit and as its breaking in.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Congrats Dan! The Yggdrasil has also caught my eye. Your journey so far has me even more interested. Looking forward to reading more as you get along with the new unit and as its breaking in.
    MikeCh.......Thank you. Although I hadn't been vocal about it, I had every intention of purchasing a new DAC to mate with the Aurender N100H music server. I was pleasantly surprised to discover Schiit Audio, even more surprised to learn about the Yggdrasil, and completely floored to discover the astonishingly reasonable price.

The more I learned as I read about Schiit Audio and its products the more impressed I became. The two owners, Mike Moffat and Jason Stoddard, are audio industry heavyweights with a long history of remarkable contributions to both digital and analog development. The fact that their company's mission is to apply that wealth of knowledge producing premium audio components at nearly unbelievable price points is one more brilliant milestone in their record books. They are causing quite a shock wave in the industry with products that outperform competitors products costing substantially higher prices. No wonder talking Schiit has become so popular.
    Dan

So it worked out after all, congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The Yggdrasil DAC continues its burn-in. I listened to it this morning for a couple hours and it is steadily headed in the right direction. I can already sense the musically involving nature in its sound. Listening this morning was quite enjoyable. The edge I experience in the upper frequency range during the first hours on Saturday has already vanished. I have logged nearly 48 hours of burn-in plus the 72 hours Schiit puts on it at the factory. Impressive improvements are definitely being made. Even though Schiit Audio offers a 15 day return period, I have no intention of returning the Yggdrasil DAC. It isn't going anywhere.
    Dan

The fit and finish of the Schiit Yggdrasil is very good. It is obvious the overall design concept and execution eschews exotic fancy CNC milled face plates and enclosures or other unnecessary shiny bling that would certainly drive cost up. I prefer the serious attention and true value be inside the box. That being said, the curved anodized aluminum enclosure is attractive, as is the contrasting painted surfaces on the sides and rear apron. I also like the manner in which Schiit chose to identify the incoming sample rate using small white LED's to identify 44.1kHz or 48kHz and then indicate with other LED's whether those sampling rates are x1, x2, x4, or x8. This simplifies the front panel and eliminates the noisy digital circuit required to support an alpha/numeric digital display. It is clean, simple, attractive, and cost conscious. The entire design concept of the Yggdrasil demonstrates where their priorities are. It is not about expensive rarefied visual impact. It is about the purity of music reproduction.

Dan

Super Moderator

Thank you for the update Dan, looks great and already sounding great is awesome.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing more info so far.

Would you mind explaining how you're burning in the new Yggdrasil? Are you running a stream thru the Aurender and into the Yggdrasil 24/7? Or, are you doing something else to clock hours?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for sharing more info so far.

Would you mind explaining how you're burning in the new Yggdrasil? Are you running a stream thru the Aurender and into the Yggdrasil 24/7? Or, are you doing something else to clock hours?
    Mike.......Yes, I am breaking in the Yggdrasil and the Aurender N100H at the same time. I play various 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192 music files on repeat 24 hours a day. It began the moment I energized the Yggdrasil at 3:00 PM last Saturday. I do not plan to ever turn the DAC off. The USB data stream from the Aurender N100H will continue uninterrupted for at least 500 hours. I have been told by other Yggdrasil and Gungnir Gumby DAC owners that these DAC's do not require a signal for break-in, just be turned on. I prefer to have electron flow through all the circuit paths including the analog output stages so I am sending a digital music stream via USB from the N100H to the Yggy. In the mornings when I enjoy my pastry and coffee I turn on the C2300 and MC452 for a listen. The remainder of the time it is just the N100H and the Yggdrasil left energized and playing. There is no magical way to perform break-in. The hours have to be logged. Whether or not the Yggdrasil can be effectively broken-in without a digital signal being fed to it is irrelevant to me. I break in gear in the manner for which I plan to use it, and that generally means with a signal passing through it.
    Dan

no offense, but 500 hours break-in seems over the top for a dac, particularly this one without fancy parts. if it doesn't sound good after 100 hours, it would be going back for me. in fact, more like 48 hours.

that said, i've heard very good things about this one - pay particular attention to big orchestra and scaled dynamics/clarity over your break-in.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Keith.......I would agree that anything beyond a couple of hundred hours of break-in might seem excessive. On the other hand, I would be listening to it anyway, so perhaps I should rephrase my comment. I will be listening to the Yggdrasil well beyond 500 hours for any improvements that may develop after 200 hours. I already know this DAC is not going back.
    Dan

Mike.......Yes, I am breaking in the Yggdrasil and the Aurender N100H at the same time. I play various 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192 music files on repeat 24 hours a day.
    Dan, thanks for confirming what seemed like the logical method for breaking in the new DAC. Sending PM.
    Avanti Audio

Mike.......Signals through all paths is the only way to fully break-in a component. I have the Yggdrasil connected USB to my Aurender N100H, coaxial connected to a Denon transport, and Toslink optical connected to the Sonos zone player, so those three different inputs are getting their time in the sun so to speak. Not counting the 72 hours of passive burn-in at the Schiit Audio factory, I have 73 hours of active break-in on the USB input. I will switch to the coaxial input at 100 hours, then to the optical for about 50 hours, then back to the USB at 250 hours. The BNC and AES/EBU inputs will remain unused. I don't listen to the Sonos much except for Internet radio, so no extended time on the optical input will be necessary for my purposes.

The Yggdrasil DAC is gradually opening up. I listened to the Yggy and Aurender N100H this morning for a couple of hours, some new age, some blues, and some jazz. It was enjoyable and I found myself smiling. I take that as a good sign.
    Dan

DSkip

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    no offense, but 500 hours break-in seems over the top for a dac, particularly this one without fancy parts. if it doesn't sound good after 100 hours, it would be going back for me. in fact, more like 48 hours.

that said, i've heard very good things about this one - pay particular attention to big orchestra and scaled dynamics/clarity over your break-in.

The North Star Design Venti takes several hundred hours to really settle in to its sound. Off the bat you can tell it will be special, but it takes much more time to become what it was designed to be. I don't find it particularly unsettling for a DAC to take that much time to really blossom, though it can be a bit intimidating.

Dan, when you sit for a listen do you go back and listen to some of the same tracks you began with? I'm thinking to compare differences due to break in using a few go to tracks each time would help.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

To get an as good or better Dac you would have to spend many thousands more so in my view it’s worth every hour of the breakin period. Not that it sounds bad from the get go even at that. I have seen many many skeptics do a 180 degree turn about when this puppy is broken in.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Dan, when you sit for a listen do you go back and listen to some of the same tracks you began with? I'm thinking to compare differences due to break in using a few go to tracks each time would help.
    Brian.......I do use the same tracks during the first 30 minutes of each listening session. I have a playlist saved on the Aurender music server which consists of a solo piano track, a solo acoustic guitar track, a jazz female vocalist, and a blues band track (Liz Story, Mike Howe, Diana Krall, Ronnie Earl and The Broadcasters). I know each track intimately so it is relatively easy for me to identify whether aspects of the frequency range, dynamic range, soundstage, and resolution are less than reference level compared to the same tracks played on my studio system. I listen for clarity as a whole and clarity of individual instruments and voices. I listen for harmonics in upper octaves of acoustic guitar strings. I listen closely to the sounds of single and combined notes and chords on solo piano. The broad frequency spectrum of a grand piano can be extremely revealing. I listen to vocalists, particularly female vocalist, and pay special attention for sibilance, which can be a natural sound in support of vocals or an exaggerated sound that is distracting if over-emphasized. I listen to a blues track to ensure there is robust and rhythmic bass, separation of lead and rhythm guitar sounds, and space that separates vocals from instruments and drums. I pay close attention to the creation of a realistic sound stage. Listening to this 30 minutes of music every time I audition the state of a component's break-in can be quite telling. It also lets me know when the time has arrived where no additional changes are taking place, that the sonic signature of the audio component in question as become permanent. Once I have this 30 minute audition exercise behind me and a few notes written to ensure recall, I then randomly play whatever catches my eye as I browse my library.
    Dan

Tonight I spent over two hours listening to my new Yggdrasil DAC and the Aurender N100H music server. I used the headphone output of my McIntosh C2300 tube preamplifier and the Sennheiser HD800 headphone. It was an up close and personal, intimate and involving, pleasantly enjoyable listening session. With 124 hours of active break-in on it at this time, plus the 72 hours burn-in at the factory before shipping, the Yggdrasil DAC is opening beautifully. Even with limited hours it is proving itself to be a remarkably revealing and musical DAC, the kind you don't want to stop listening to. I will continue to play the Aurender N100H and the Yggdrasil 24 hours a day for at least the next two weeks before getting serious about a review of its performance. I can say this much at this time, it already sounds better than my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 with the ESS ES9018 delta sigma DAC that I currently use in my headphone rig. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC is quite special. I expect the sound to continue to improve with additional hours. More to follow.

Dan

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana] I can say this much at this time, it already sounds better than my Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 with the ESS ES9018 delta sigma DAC that I currently use in my headphone rig. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC is quite special. I expect the sound to continue to improve with additional hours.
    Good to hear you are enjoying your new gear. It tells something if the Yggdrasil sounds good via the Senns, as those are very revealing.

Related to the W4S comparison, it is however a bit of a simplification to judge the sound of a DAC based on the onboard IC, as the actual implementation and customizable filtering affects the sound quite a bit. There is a sound signature though, if the ESS9018 does all the conversion work like D/A processing, PLL and digital filtering. Nevertheless, also in that case an Oppo or Auralic implementation do sound quite different IMHO. And even then allocation of the eight DAC circuits to one or both channels (stereo/ mono) will affect the noise floor quite significantly.

Further, there are a few DACs in the hi-end segment, where the DAC chip does not affect the sound at all, as it is only used for the actual D/A conversion and all sound related processing and filtering is done in custom sound processors.

PS: What’s the story with the product names derived from Germanic mythodology?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Congrats Dan, never too late for men to enjoy new Christmas toys
    The video in the other thread has convinced me I need to get a piece of Schiit in my system at some point.
    That sort of value in a domestic made product is impressive.

cheers,

AJ

IME, the AES input of the Yggy sounds better compared to the USB input - it will be worthwhile experimenting there once the dust settles. Also, the balanced outputs are better sounding than the RCAs. The DAC doesn't necessarily need break-in as much as it needs warm up. This warm up is essential any time you turn off the amp for more than an hour or two. I figure it takes two to three days to get back into its stride (dont ask me why). It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it. Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by adamaley View Post
    It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it. Enjoy, and Happy New Year!
    Consensus between who?
    - T+A DAC 8 DSD
    - Auralic Vega
    - PS Audio DSD
    - Aqua La Scala II Optologic
    - Totaldac Reference D1
    - Meitner MA 1 v2
    - Bricasti M1
    - MSB Analog DAC
    - Ayre QX-5 Twenty

Quite a few roadblocks on the way to that title, just to name a few.

Consensus and Definitively are the keywords.

Consensus and Definitively are the keywords.
    Please elaborate?

Audioshark

Does “PCM only” put a wrinkle in things?

I HAVE heard it and it’s very very good. But PCM only. The PS Audio and Ayre are also right there with it, albeit at a much higher price point.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Let’s not spoil Dan’s fun here: he has just bought a fantastic new product and appears to enjoy it a lot. That’s what we wish for anyone having just ventured into buying something new.

And as it sounds, the Yggdrasil might just be a category killer, meaning its punching way above its weight class.

But a blanket statement of it beating everything 5x its price is a bit much, especially as there are some real heavy hitters in that price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Consensus between who?
    Same way folks determined MQA is "better", what a "reference" DAC for properly hearing MQA is, etc, etc.
    Word of mouth

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Same way folks determined MQA is "better", what a "reference" DAC for properly hearing MQA is, etc, etc. Word of mouth
    That is a bit of a blanket statement and does not make very much sense.

Do you have a tenable point?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Does “PCM only” put a wrinkle in things?

I HAVE heard it and it’s very very good. But PCM only. The PS Audio and Ayre are also right there with it, albeit at a much higher price point.

Its a good Dac and a great value, but I would take an Atlantic+ with a DSD512 engine over it (lets not even speak of a GA)....but that is just me.

Mike I, really, really iiked your AG system in the front room with the GA.

Jim,
    I have a couple pals who love the Yggy, so I trust your ears will be happy with it as your pocket is!
    Happy New Year!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

That is a bit of a blanket statement and does not make very much sense.
    Do you have a tenable point?
    Yes, the exact same way you selected your MQA DAC. That's how Adam arrived at his Yggdrasil consensus.

Congrats Dan, never too late for men to enjoy new Christmas toys
    The video in the other thread has convinced me I need to get a piece of Schiit in my system at some point.
    That sort of value in a domestic made product is impressive.

cheers,

AJ

Yep , not bad aquiring a POS ...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...specifications

costing only 2K and a bit is the shocker ...

Regards

Please elaborate?

I'm really at a loss as to where my use of English is failing me here but I'll try harder. I've read of many accounts of Yggdrasil comparisons against higher priced DACs where it wasn't categorically beaten. I myself have, with a desire to upgrade, compared its sound (directly) to the Lampi Big 7 and (indirectly) to multiple DACs up to ~8k in price, and never felt it was trounced. Many prefer it to the Chord Dave......I can go on and on. All the same, I was simply giving advice to the OP on how to maximize the performance of his new DAC, and reassuring him of its merits. Hopefully we can all go back to enjoying our holiday shenanigans now.

Yes, the exact same way you selected your MQA DAC. That's how Adam arrived at his Yggdrasil consensus.
    That does not answer the question what kind of consensus we are talking about.

Btw, how did I select my MQA DAC and how would you know?

I'm really at a loss as to where my use of English is failing me here but I'll try harder. I've read of many accounts of Yggdrasil comparisons against higher priced DACs where it wasn't categorically beaten. I myself have, with a desire to upgrade, compared its sound (directly) to the Lampi Big 7 and (indirectly) to multiple DACs up to ~8k in price, and never felt it was trounced. Many prefer it to the Chord Dave......I can go on and on. All the same, I was simply giving advice to the OP on how to maximize the performance of his new DAC, and reassuring him of its merits. Hopefully we can all go back to enjoying our holiday shenanigans now.
    It’s all good, I’m sure Dan has done his due diligence. And I believe the Yggdrasil is a very good DAC.

But I’m afraid that consensus statement was already proven not tenable, as we have seen in this very thread. That was my only point asking for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Yep , not bad aquiring a POS ...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...specifications

costing only 2K and a bit is the shocker ...
    Keep in mind that is direct sales. Via Distributor>Dealer network, I would guestimate 2-3x higher pricing.

That does not answer the question what kind of consensus we are talking about.

Btw, how did I select my MQA DAC and how would you know?
    You told us:
    Reviews: In Stereoplay Fremer liked it quite a bit, but JA was critical about some measurements and so it was heavily downgraded in the rankings. But no such mention in TAS, Stereo, Hi-Fi & Records or Audio - just high praise. Why might that be? Well, not the first time JA has attested bad measurement results to something that sounds great. At least I could not hear the slightest bit of anything that would have caused anything but sheer delight.
    You sought your own "consensus" via glowing anecdotal subjective reviews. Same as heaped on the Yggy, as Adam indicated.
    Can't have it both ways.
    Both DACs have "consensus" purely subjective praise. You have one, Dan got the other.
    When it comes to pure subjectivity, preferences and "consensus" varies. As in YMMV.

cheers,

AJ

You told us:

You sought your own "consensus" via glowing anecdotal subjective reviews. Same as heaped on the Yggy, as Adam indicated.
    Can't have it both ways.
    Both DACs have "consensus" purely subjective praise. You have one, Dan got the other.
    When it comes to pure subjectivity, preferences and "consensus" varies. As in YMMV.

cheers,

AJ
    AJ, while sometimes seeing a bit of an argument for argument sake in your responses, this time I was looking forward to your comeback.

As a matter of fact, the way I selected my latest DAC was a bit unmethodical and ad-hoc. What I actually wanted to do is to develop an understanding of whether MQA is any good. For that purpose I first investigated the possibility of the Auralic variation and then tried it out. As it was quite good I went for the next step.

Being careful not to dismiss MQA from the get go due to the large number of nay-sayers I then looked for a way to evaluate MQA with a high quality DAC. I first tried a couple of other MQA capable DACs, but they did not convince me in PCM, so I looked further. When I came across the Nyquist I liked the sound and then tested MQA. My conclusion was that the impact of MQA on SQ varies, but when it is good, it can be really good. So, test completed and goal achieved.

But then I noticed that I did not want to give the Nyquist back as it is so good. So, it was kind of a coincidence.

That said, when the Nyquist came out I studied it and fell in love with the technical concept. But at that time I felt it was kind of unattainable for me. And I had the Meitner, which was good. Then the Meitner v2 upgrade came along and I started to ask myself whether I really wanted to pay 2K for an upgrade or try something new instead. As it was quite likely the MA-1 would never support MQA, I thought I might as well look for something different and put it up for sale. As things happen, it sold shortly before I started my MQA evaluation with the Nyquist.

Hence, my choice had absolutely nothing to do with consensus, just my ears. The only review I was aware of was the Stereophile one where Atkinson bashed it due to some ominous distortion in the inaudible band. So, it was actually the exact opposite of consensus. The glowing TAS review by Harley, TAS Product of the Year Award and the Hi-Fi+ Award came out after I already had it. But I admit, those did not make me regret my decision Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived.

Back to Dan’s Yggdrasil, does my different purchase decision make it somehow not an excellent choice? Absolutely not.

The glowing TAS review by Harley, TAS Product of the Year Award and the Hi-Fi+ Award came out after I already had it. But I admit, those did not make me regret my decision Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Arrived.
    Right, no one claimed you chose to buy it because there was consensus, any more than Dan or maybe Adam. But you threw in those reviews to show there is some consensus regarding your purely subjective decision.
    Just like Adam is claiming there is "consensus" regarding the Yggy as punching way above its weight...as far as purely subjective assessments go.
    You then threw in a half dozen DACs you implied might be better. I could have done the exact same in your Brinkmann thread...but didn't.
    That's how it is with purely anecdotal subjective assessments.

Originally Posted by adamaley
    It's a great DAC and the consensus is there is nothing less than 10k that definitively beats it. Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

Consensus between who?
    - T+A DAC 8 DSD
    - Auralic Vega
    - PS Audio DSD
    - Aqua La Scala II Optologic
    - Totaldac Reference D1
    - Meitner MA 1 v2
    - Bricasti M1
    - MSB Analog DAC
    - Ayre QX-5 Twenty

Quite a few roadblocks on the way to that title, just to name a few.
    Kuoppis, when/how did you determine any of those definitively beat the Iggy, thanks.

Right, no one claimed you chose to buy it because there was consensus, any more than Dan or maybe Adam. But you threw in those reviews to show there is some consensus regarding your purely subjective decision.
    Just like Adam is claiming there is "consensus" regarding the Yggy as punching way above its weight...as far as purely subjective assessments go.
    You then threw in a half dozen DACs you implied might be better. I could have done the exact same in your Brinkmann thread...but didn't.
    That's how it is with purely anecdotal subjective assessments.
    I am not saying the other DACs are better, I am saying it is probably impossible to have a consensus in that competitive segment.

And in case you think the are better DACs than the Nyquist, please be my guest. Start with the Yggdrasil if you like. No-one is keeping you.

Kuoppis, when/how did you determine any of those definitively beat the Iggy, thanks.
    I have not, and I think it is impossible - either way.

If you would think before you write, you would notice that this was my exact point.

I am not saying the other DACs are better, I am saying it is probably impossible to have a consensus in that competitive segment.
    You need to re-read the claim, I quoted it above.

And in case you think the are better DACs than the Nyquist, please be my guest. Start with the Yggdrasil if you like. No-one is keeping you.
    The Yggy might be...but I haven't had both in my system at the same time to switch between and compare real time, to make such a claim. When did you do this?

I have not, and I think it is impossible - either way.
    Great, then you are now in consensus with Adam

You told us:

Can't have it both ways.

cheers,

AJ
    Doesn't "consensus" need to involve more than one party?

I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Doesn't "consensus" need to involve more than one party?

I'm confused.
    Don't be.
    Kuoppis and Adam agree that nothing under $10k definitively beats the Yggy.
    Two > One.

Don't be.
    Kuoppis and Adam agree that nothing under $10k definitively beats the Yggy.
    Two > One.
    Now, this is just playing trick with words. Someone claimed "nothing under $10k", which Kuoppis thinks is over the top and after a few back and forth, you just added "definitely beats the Yggy".

If we just leave as the Yggy is a remarkable bargain that punches way above its price and has a lot of happy owners, I have no doubt we will have absolute consensus. It's the over the top claim that can never be proven or disapproved is the culprit here and I must say it's a recurring theme with many people.

BTW, I'm considering the Yggy although I'd like it in black.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team