Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Question for Speaker Cable Gurus- making 2 sets from one

I have a pair of Synergistic Speaker Cables from the early 90s that came with the setup I have. Due to gear placement of former owner, they are about 14 feet long. I really only need 6 feet so the rest is coiled up and stuffed behind the rack.

Years ago I reached out to Synergistic about reterminating them and they said they would do one termination for $200 for original owner and that only they could do it, and I would ruin them if I did it myself.

So my question is, is there anything proprietary, or voodoo like that would stop someone from cutting the cables in half and adding new spades to them?
    The ICs that came with same gear are Kaliedascope II, and the speaker cables look similar but have no name on them.

When I questioned them a little these are the snarky replies I got. Interesting that they compare speaker wire to an amplifier
    -------------
    Dear Brian,

Our cable are components. You cannot take one amplifier and cut in half to make two amplifiers, can you?

It is less work for us to make an entirely new cable than to retrofit an old one.

Many thanks.

Yours in Music,

Lee Rockway
    Synergistic Research, Inc.

and

Brian,
    That is the way we cut cables down- the labor is greater to make two pairs from one then it is to make two pairs from scratch. At $200 we actually loose money, so we make one usable solution for our customers however we cannot tie up production for two full days on such a project (which would be the case were we to make two pairs from one). We keep the cost low to do this on one pair as a service to the original purchaser of the cable and to provide a pair of speaker cables for the new length requirements (the new shorter length). You can also use your Lifetime Passport upgrade option and move into much better performing current production speaker cables if you wish. The way this works- lets say your cable had an original sale value of $750. You get a $750 trade-in allowance toward new Active TESLA speaker cables with a value of twice your old cables value- so in the case of this example $1500. The difference, $750, is paid in cash.

We do not however touch cables that are purchased second hand nor do we offer trade-in allowance for used cables.

Please let us know.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Re: Question for Speaker Cable Gurus- making 2 sets from one

not sure which cables you have, as that would make a difference. However, being that old, what have you got to lose by cutting them in half and trying to terminate them yourself.
    Worst case is you would have to send them in to get it done. At that point you would be out the $200. Worth an attempt at it yourself in my opinion.
    Or sell them off and pick up some Deuland 12ga from Parts Connexion and call it a day.
    Don't wish to comment on the factory response.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Brian

If you don't want to re-terminate them yourself then contact member Mike at Avanti Cable and see if he will do it.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Wow!!! Costs more to cut a cable in half and reterminate than to build a new cable. 4 connectors - solder and maybe 1/2 hr labor cost more than the wires and connectors plus the labor to make a new one sure sounds to me like a way of saying just buy new cables from us and we are not all that interested in keeping our customers happy. $200 labor seems mighty just to do that IMO.

I agree with Jack - contact Mike at Avanti if you don't want to do it yourself
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Hey Brian, Jack and George:

I do appreciate you guys thinking of me to assist Brian, but wanted to let you know that I got away from cutting up other makers wares for mods or re-terminations some time ago. I used to take on these kinds of jobs, but they truly are too labor intensive and can carry liabilities depending on age/price/etc. Now, let me qualify that by saying that I (as the non-manufacturer of another cable brand) can't just go cutting the cable in half without knowing the geometry or any other components, shielding or special designs that a cable may contain. I can't do this for fear of WRECKING a perfectly good pair of cables for the person that has charged me with the task. As such, the role I must play is a cautious and slow one to dissect a cable and is the reason I stopped doing these sorts of jobs.

Brian should try his own hand at it!

Hope you guys can understand my position.

Best,
    Mike
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Question for Speaker Cable Gurus- making 2 sets from one