Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Do I need a DAC or a new spinner?

I've been running the Oppo BDP-95 for a couple years now. Love the flexibility it provides for all sorts of disc-playing formats. However, I find that I tire of it's "digital" sound after even short listening sessions. I believe it uses the Sabre ES9018 chipset.

Can anyone recommend a "more analog sounding" DAC for under $2k that I could partner with the Oppo BDP-95? From what I understand, the Oppo has limitations on what it can output (PCM is really it) via it's optical or SPDIF interfaces.

I would use any new external DAC for CD listening only since I don't have a library of downloaded hi-rez files. Owning a handful of SACD's, I understand the Oppo outputs SACD via HDMI which most all DAC's I've found do not have, so that's not important for me to use.

Perhaps it makes sense to just find a different spinner with better on board DAC? I'm looking for a DAC that sounds as analog as the Lumin products do for streaming. Is this possible within my budget?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Re: Do I need a DAC or a new spinner?

Musical Paradise or maybe Border Patrol both under $1k.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

MikeCh.......You may want to consider the Schiit Gungnir DAC with the multibit option. It is $1249 direct ordered from Schiit Audio. I have two friends who both own the Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC, nicknamed Gumby when it has the multibit upgrade. http://www.schiit.com/products/gungnir

Here is what one friend said about his Schiit Gungnir with the multibit upgrade: "The Gungnir Multibit is one of the most analog, least digital-sounding playback devices I've ever heard. It sounds like the best of analog on a very good turntable, but it sounds like going from a good moving magnet cartridge to a superb low-output moving coil. It is brilliant at creating an engaging and beguiling musical experience and I find myself just getting sucked into the music hour after hour. It doesn't sound digital..it sounds like MUSIC."

http://passionforsound.lachlanfennen...ac-meet-gumby/

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

DSkip

If you like the sound of the Oppo minus the digital glare, you should check out North Star Design DAC's. The Intenso at $1,000 utilizes the ES9016, but it does it very well and brings about a smoother sound. Their DAC's focus on an ease of listening and a holographic presentation. The Excelsio at $2,300 utilizes the ES9018 and is smoother with even more space between images and a wider soundstage.

https://www.audiothesis.com/intenso
    https://www.audiothesis.com/excelsio

If you want something completely different and don't mind a touch of the glare, then the Marantz SA-14s1 for an all-around DAC/transport would be a great investment. It is $2,500 retail, but I'm sure you could find one for less than that if you shopped around.

These are the best DAC's I've heard so far in the $2kish range.

A Hugo Chord or 2Qute (if you don't need the headphone amp) fits the bill for a very analog sound. You can find Hugo's used for about $1500 and the 2Qute which is the same DAC minus the headphone amp for about $1K.

Others to consider are the Aqua La Voce, Marantz Na-11s1 and a used Luxman DA-06, still a stereophile A+.

This AVAHiFi DAC also has a nice analog sound. It sounds better than my Luxman DA-06. I did a review of it on the Audio Circles forum for Frank Van Alstine. Plus he has a 30 day no questions asked return policy with no restocking fee. It is a great buy at $1800

http://www.avahifi.com/products/d-to...s/ava-dac-mk-5
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Look for a used Bryston BDA3. It’s a fantastic DAC that blends well with the oppo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Thanks for all the suggestions gents! Lots of options between the choices provided.

Just curious, are there any tube type DAC's in the same price range ($2k-ish) worth checking out?
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Mike

The Border Patrol and Musical Paradise are both tube DAC's as is the Lampizator Amber II which starts at just under $2k. The BP and Lampi are SS rectification and the MP tube, so tubed front to back. I've had and used the MP for almost a year and a half until just last week when I decided to try the Directstream I got a good deal on. It is hard to beat especially for the price and you can roll your own with rectifiers, input tubes and capacitors if you don't like what is supplied. The supplied input tubes and capacitors are actually pretty good but you will want to change the rectifier to one of the NOS versions allowed. Other than the 5AR4's they can be purchased fairly cheaply still on Ebay.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mike

The Border Patrol and Musical Paradise are both tube DAC's as is the Lampizator Amber II which starts at just under $2k. The BP and Lampi are SS rectification and the MP tube, so tubed front to back. I've had and used the MP for almost a year and a half until just last week when I decided to try the Directstream I got a good deal on. It is hard to beat especially for the price and you can roll your own with rectifiers, input tubes and capacitors if you don't like what is supplied. The supplied input tubes and capacitors are actually pretty good but you will want to change the rectifier to one of the NOS versions allowed. Other than the 5AR4's they can be purchased fairly cheaply still on Ebay.
    Jack,

My apologies, I did see the MP and BP units you mentioned right off, but forgot where I read about them in my haste gathering information today from several sources. They do indeed look great. Good to hear you've got experience with the Musical Paradise as that one in particular did catch my eye. Thank you for chiming back in.
    Avanti Audio

Mike

If you need anymore info on the MP DAC let me know. I tested dozens of tube combo's with it before settling in. As to which version to order I still don't know if there is any real difference between the 4490 and 4497 chipset other than SN numbers you can't hear, but I would stay away from the ESS chipset as the input section was not designed with it in mind and the sonic signature of ESS and AKM are certainly different.

DSkip

I have a client who has the MP and he preferred the MP over the North Star Supremo due to the MP having some digital bite that he was accustomed to. Obviously you can add your own flavor with tubes but those were his words (his had upgraded tubes).

Never heard any "digital bite" ,which is why many companies use AKM instead of ESS, and I rolled over a dozen different pairs of input tubes and almost that many different rectifiers. I admit I never tried any of the 12 series tubes I had, which are allowed with a jumper change, which would have softened the sound even more. I tried both ends of the spectrum on the 6v input tubes and still no "digital glare". At $899 with free shipping a screaming bargain.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Do I need a DAC or a new spinner?