Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmater View Post
    Good to know, I think I’ll place an order.
    Maybe you read the story, I was actually not in the market for a new DAC. I just wanted to properly evaluate MQA, so in case I would not like it, there would be no second guessing the DAC that was used.

But when it arrived, I fell in love with it. Basically all of it: the sound, the concept, the looks, the tech, the tubes, MQA & Roon. It is a nice toy to obsess a bit about.

As said Linn is great, but I’m sure you’ll love the Nyquist. Please let me know when you get it, would be keen to hear your views.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Here is my first post on the AudioShark forum. I found it after searching for articles about the Brinkmann Nyquist, which I was considering buying. I was inspired by Kuoppis’ description of his experience, which I can now echo as I ended up buying the Nyquist that I had on loan. I am amazed at the way it presents the music in a natural and effortless way. Some have suggested that it imparts an unnatural warm tinge to the music but that is not correct. If a song is not well recorded you still hear it but it is less objectionable than it would be with a less well-refined DAC. The Nyquist just does everything better and I am enjoying it immensely. My wife said that she heard the difference as soon as she walked into our music room and wholeheartedly gave her approval for its purchase. It’s not an inexpensive upgrade but, because of the interchangeability of it’s digital module I believe that it is the last DAC that we will ever have to buy. Highly recommended.

My main system: iMac (i7) running Roon -> Nyquist—>ARC 40th Anniversary Ref Pre—> Bryston 28B monos—>KEF Blades (2xREL 212SE subs). Also Bryston BDA-3 for audio/video. All cabling is Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond, Shunyata power cords and filters.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Aescalpius View Post
    Here is my first post on the AudioShark forum. I found it after searching for articles about the Brinkmann Nyquist, which I was considering buying. I was inspired by Kuoppis’ description of his experience, which I can now echo as I ended up buying the Nyquist that I had on loan. I am amazed at the way it presents the music in a natural and effortless way. Some have suggested that it imparts an unnatural warm tinge to the music but that is not correct. If a song is not well recorded you still hear it but it is less objectionable than it would be with a less well-refined DAC. The Nyquist just does everything better and I am enjoying it immensely. My wife said that she heard the difference as soon as she walked into our music room and wholeheartedly gave her approval for its purchase. It’s not an inexpensive upgrade but, because of the interchangeability of it’s digital module I believe that it is the last DAC that we will ever have to buy. Highly recommended.

My main system: iMac (i7) running Roon -> Nyquist—>ARC 40th Anniversary Ref Pre—> Bryston 28B monos—>KEF Blades (2xREL 212SE subs). Also Bryston BDA-3 for audio/video. All cabling is Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond, Shunyata power cords and filters.
    Great to have you on the forum Aescalpius and congrats on the great purchase; welcome to the Nyquist club!

Happy to hear the sharing of experiences was helpful in your purchasing decision. As a recommendation, adding an Aurender or better even NAS-based Roon database will give you another notch-up in SQ.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Great to have you on the forum Aescalpius and congrats on the great purchase; welcome to the Nyquist club!

Happy to hear the sharing of experiences was helpful in your purchasing decision. As a recommendation, adding an Aurender or better even NAS-based Roon database will give you another notch-up in SQ.

Hi Kuoppis. Thank you! You're absolutely right, the iMac is the weak link at present. The music database is on a Drobo 5N (NAS) but I don't think it has the horsepower to run a Roon Core. The signal from the iMac is also going through about 75' of Cat 6 cable, a network switch and an Apple Airport Extreme before it gets to the Nyquist. I remember using a Mac Mini years ago that I had optimized as much as I could. But, I still wasn't happy so I added a Bryston BDP-1 and it clobbered the Mac Mini. So, I'm sure that I'm giving up some quality by using the iMac. Still the sound at present is absolutely amazing! Better than anything I have heard in any dealer's showroom. Too bad that Bryston isn't building a BDP that will act as a Roon Core. Roon + Tidal has become essential to me in my listening and I can't imagine going backward to an MPD based server.

I'm waiting for Antipodes to release their CX music server. From what my dealer tells me and from what I've read about their past products, it should be exceptional. I've exchanged a few emails with their CEO, Mark Jenkins (who was very helpful) and I'm happy that it will do everything that I want it to do. I'm also considering the CX+EX pair, with the EX handling the rendering duties before going to the Nyquist via USB. But, the Nyquist already has an excellent renderer so I'm not sure how much sonic benefit will accrue from adding the EX. I guess I'll just have to try the CX+EX pair to find out.

Another thought would be to wait for the music server that Brinkmann is rumoured to be developing. If it's as good as the Nyquist then it will be a gem. Still, Antipodes has a long track record and a good reputation so it might be safer to go with them. Time will tell.

I'll let the forum know what I come up with.

The most important thing is you enjoy your listening experience, everything else is noise.

I hope you have fun with the Nyquist, please post what you conclude regarding the server.

Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - review in Tone Audio

http://www.tonepublications.com/revi...o-nyquist-dac/

I couldn’t agree more with this reviewer
    Main system: Antipodes CX/EX running Roon+Tidal -> Brinkmann Nyquist—>ARC 40th Anniversary Ref Pre—> Bryston 28B monos—>KEF Blades + 2xREL 212SE subs. Also Bryston BDA-3 for A/V. All cabling is Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; Shunyata Triton V3 plus Sigma, Alpha and Delta NR power cords; Solid Tech Hybrid racks. Acoustics by GIK & Acoustic Sciences Corp. Six dedicated 20A mains with Shunyata receptacles.

Nice review, I read many things outlined in this thread as well.

The Nyquist simply is a stellar performer.

"Nyquist Mk II: Improvements to our Streaming DAC module including an additional regulated supply, broader use of High Voltage Power Supply Technology and other refinements deliver a more detailed and airy presentation while retaining the organic analog sound which has made Nyquist so successful. Upgrades (Price TBA) are accomplished by simply changing DAC modules." - Premier in Munich next week
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    "Nyquist Mk II: Improvements to our Streaming DAC module including an additional regulated supply, broader use of High Voltage Power Supply Technology and other refinements deliver a more detailed and airy presentation while retaining the organic analog sound which has made Nyquist so successful. Upgrades (Price TBA) are accomplished by simply changing DAC modules." - Premier in Munich next week
    This is great news.

From what I hear the new module will increase transparency a bit w/o giving up the analogness. I’m very excited.

This is a clear benefit of the modular approach in the Nyquist: in most cases you have to buy a mk2 version of the entire DAC, sell the old one at a loss and pay full price for the new one. Not with the Brinkmann, you just exchange the module.

I have already ordered the mk2 module, will receive it after High End. Will report back on the sound.

Stay tuned.

Nice. Roon menu has finally caught up with the current state and is able to identify MQA encoded files in Tidal. Good, long overdue move.

This most likely also indicates a shift in Tidal operational model: the same file is labeled as FLAC 48 kHz 24 bit and MQA. When played back on my fully MQA capable Nyquist the playback is indicated to be 96K MQA.

Looks like it is just one and the same MQA file, played as 48 kHz 24 bit FLAC with a non-MQA DAC (which is very good btw, as CDs are only 16 bit) and 96 kHz 24 bit when unfolded and decoded in MQA.

Hey Kuoppis, I just heard about the Mk II DACC module in the Nyquist today and was going to post about it but I see that I've been beaten to the punch. I also see that you've already ordered the upgraded module. Do you know how much it will cost or was that done on blind faith? My dealer owns a Nyquist himself and is going to Munich so he will be reporting his impressions back to me once he's heard the MK II module. Brinkmann has told him "prepare to be astounded".

On another note, I have ordered the Antipodes CX music server and hope to have delivery by the end of May. I was seriously considering the EX renderer in addition to the the CX but then I realized that, for MQA files, the renderer should be DAC-specific and that the renderer in the Nyquist is already excellent. For these reasons, I am skeptical that the EX would sound better than the Nyquist. My plan is to wait until the CX has settled in and then borrow an EX to do a comparison. Will update as I go.
    Main system: Antipodes CX/EX running Roon+Tidal -> Brinkmann Nyquist—>ARC 40th Anniversary Ref Pre—> Bryston 28B monos—>KEF Blades + 2xREL 212SE subs. Also Bryston BDA-3 for A/V. All cabling is Cardas Clear/Clear Beyond; Shunyata Triton V3 plus Sigma, Alpha and Delta NR power cords; Solid Tech Hybrid racks. Acoustics by GIK & Acoustic Sciences Corp. Six dedicated 20A mains with Shunyata receptacles.

Hey Kuoppis, I just heard about the Mk II DACC module in the Nyquist today and was going to post about it but I see that I've been beaten to the punch. I also see that you've already ordered the upgraded module. Do you know how much it will cost or was that done on blind faith? My dealer owns a Nyquist himself and is going to Munich so he will be reporting his impressions back to me once he's heard the MK II module. Brinkmann has told him "prepare to be astounded".

On another note, I have ordered the Antipodes CX music server and hope to have delivery by the end of May. I was seriously considering the EX renderer in addition to the the CX but then I realized that, for MQA files, the renderer should be DAC-specific and that the renderer in the Nyquist is already excellent. For these reasons, I am skeptical that the EX would sound better than the Nyquist. My plan is to wait until the CX has settled in and then borrow an EX to do a comparison. Will update as I go.
    As I have been living with the Nyquist for half a year now, I am very much convinced of its qualities. Hence I did not feel the need to hear the module before ordering it. Based on what I have been told the mk2 module will improve detail retrieval w/o sacrificing existing qualities of the DAC.

This Brinkmann product is a very good example of how I wish more audio companies would think: there is no problem whatsoever in putting money into hi-end products - if they last. But doling out a small fortune for a product, only to find it outdated in 2-3 years and w/o an upgrade path, that is simply not sustainable. And then people wonder why hi-end companies regularly go out of business, like so many again this year. So short-sighted.

Regarding your other point, I don’t know the Antipodes product, but do agree that the EX renderer would have to be quite amazing to reach Nyquist level. I’m looking forward to your findings.

Guys, as good as renderers are, they are Linux and I am convinced that at this point in time, a PROPER Windows server (especially 2 pc setup, 1 for Roon and 1 for HQP) with all the tweaks to the SYSTEM architecture will beat any Linux renderer solution. Yes, I know this is a hard truth to swallow, but its my story and I am sticking to it. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Guys, as good as renderers are, they are Linux and I am convinced that at this point in time, a PROPER Windows server (especially 2 pc setup, 1 for Roon and 1 for HQP) with all the tweaks to the SYSTEM architecture will beat any Linux renderer solution. Yes, I know this is a hard truth to swallow, but its my story and I am sticking to it. LoL
    I disagree 100% on Windows over Linux.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I disagree 100% on Windows over Linux.
    LoL

That is your right!!!

However, I know a VERY advanced techy guy who said the same and the stage was test for him to match the Win server 2016 sound with every Linux trick in the book...and he failed miserably and had to admit defeat.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

[QUOTE=Kuoppis;238136]As I have been living with the Nyquist for half a year now, I am very much convinced of its qualities. Hence I did not feel the need to hear the module before ordering it. Based on what I have been told the mk2 module will improve detail retrieval w/o sacrificing existing qualities of the DAC.

This Brinkmann product is a very good example of how I wish more audio companies would think: there is no problem whatsoever in putting money into hi-end products - if they last. But doling out a small fortune for a product, only to find it outdated in 2-3 years and w/o an upgrade path, that is simply not sustainable. And then people wonder why hi-end companies regularly go out of business, like so many again this year. So short-sighted.

Regarding your other point, I don’t know the Antipodes product, but do agree that the EX renderer would have to be quite amazing to reach Nyquist level. I’m looking forward to your findings.

Hey Kuoppis;
    I agree that the Brinkmann design philosophy is an excellent paradigm for how more audio companies should operate. Although some do offer upgrade paths, that usually involves sending one's unit back to the manufacturer, with the attendant loss of use for that period of time. The Brinkmann implementation is brilliant.

I admire your faith in their product. I almost always try to audition any piece of gear beforehand so that I can weigh the cost/benefit ratio before taking the plunge. Having said that, I did order the Antipodes without hearing it so that was a leap of faith on my part. My relationship with my dealer is longstanding and I expect that if I hated it then they would look after me. I don't expect to be disappointed though. I will let you know my thoughts after I've had a chance to evaluate it.

Coming back to the Mk II DAC module in the Brinkmann. ESS have just announced a new DAC chip that incorporates MQA rendering right on the chip. It's too new to have been put in the Mk II DAC module so I wonder if it might be worthwhile for me to wait for the Mk III DAC module? I know, that's a completely rhetorical question. They have reportedly been working on the Mk II module for 2 years so it will likely be another 2 years before we see another upgrade.

I will most likely get a Mk II module on loan and audition it myself. If the price is right then I'll likely be buying it. You'll probably get yours soon so I will look forward to your impressions.

Hey Kuoppis;
    I agree that the Brinkmann design philosophy is an excellent paradigm for how more audio companies should operate. Although some do offer upgrade paths, that usually involves sending one's unit back to the manufacturer, with the attendant loss of use for that period of time. The Brinkmann implementation is brilliant.

I admire your faith in their product. I almost always try to audition any piece of gear beforehand so that I can weigh the cost/benefit ratio before taking the plunge. Having said that, I did order the Antipodes without hearing it so that was a leap of faith on my part. My relationship with my dealer is longstanding and I expect that if I hated it then they would look after me. I don't expect to be disappointed though. I will let you know my thoughts after I've had a chance to evaluate it.

Coming back to the Mk II DAC module in the Brinkmann. ESS have just announced a new DAC chip that incorporates MQA rendering right on the chip. It's too new to have been put in the Mk II DAC module so I wonder if it might be worthwhile for me to wait for the Mk III DAC module? I know, that's a completely rhetorical question. They have reportedly been working on the Mk II module for 2 years so it will likely be another 2 years before we see another upgrade.

I will most likely get a Mk II module on loan and audition it myself. If the price is right then I'll likely be buying it. You'll probably get yours soon so I will look forward to your impressions.
    Hi Aescalpius, I don’t personally think the DAC chip in the Nyquist will change any time soon. Reason being is how the chip is used in the product.

In the Nyquist the ESS Sabre chip is only doing the very basic A/D conversion, nothing more. Most of its advanced features have been switched off. All the sound related processing is being done in the custom Brinkmann sound processing portion of the DAC. The benefit of this particular chipset is the number of DACs per channel, which allow minimizing of any digital harshness. That’s also why the DAC does not sound like an ESS DAC.

My confidence is based on knowledge about how meticulous the R&D process at Brinkmann is. There is an anecdote about the two key developers testing the mk2 DAC module and getting different sound results from two different units. An investigation showed that the difference was caused by one supplier having mixed some screws in a batch delivered to them. As a result one screw attaching the DAC board to the chassis in one of those two DACs had a slightly different metallurgical consistence. They heard the difference.

And what I already heard in Munich was very promising, I’m looking forward to my Nyquist mk2 DAC module.

Hi Kuoppis, good point, I do remember reading about the design and implementation of the ESS Sabre DAC chip in the Nyquist, thanks for reminding me. I also now recall the story of the screws, I’m pretty sure their ears are better than mine ;-)

As an anecdotal aside regarding good ears; I spent a year selling high end audio in the mid-80s and I found that it was the men who did the shopping most of the time and then brought their wives/girlfriends in for the final approval. Usually, the women heard the sonic differences more easily than the men. My wife picks up on things very quickly, although she lacks the “audiophile vernacular” to describe what she hears. She instantly knew the Nyquist was significantly better, as soon as she walked into the music room. It took zero convincing to get her to agree to the purchase, even though she knew the cost. I’m happy that my wife shares my love of music, it makes this hobby much easier to pursue :-)

I think that your faith in Brinkmann is well founded. I”m looking forward to hearing the MkII module when it becomes available. Any idea how much it’s going to cost?

You are at the Munich show? Lucky you! Did they do an A/B comparison of the Mk I and Mk II modules or was it just the Nyquist with the Mk II module on demonstration? I suspect the latter, most companies would want to put their best sonic foot forward at such venues.

Hi Kuoppis, good point, I do remember reading about the design and implementation of the ESS Sabre DAC chip in the Nyquist, thanks for reminding me. I also now recall the story of the screws, I’m pretty sure their ears are better than mine ;-)

As an anecdotal aside regarding good ears; I spent a year selling high end audio in the mid-80s and I found that it was the men who did the shopping most of the time and then brought their wives/girlfriends in for the final approval. Usually, the women heard the sonic differences more easily than the men. My wife picks up on things very quickly, although she lacks the “audiophile vernacular” to describe what she hears. She instantly knew the Nyquist was significantly better, as soon as she walked into the music room. It took zero convincing to get her to agree to the purchase, even though she knew the cost. I’m happy that my wife shares my love of music, it makes this hobby much easier to pursue :-)

I think that your faith in Brinkmann is well founded. I”m looking forward to hearing the MkII module when it becomes available. Any idea how much it’s going to cost?

You are at the Munich show? Lucky you! Did they do an A/B comparison of the Mk I and Mk II modules or was it just the Nyquist with the Mk II module on demonstration? I suspect the latter, most companies would want to put their best sonic foot forward at such venues.
    I was in Munich, but just for a day. And heard the mk2 module at the show. But there was no time for comparisons and I’m not sure whether they offered that in the first place.

But when I will receive the mk2 module I will do some 1:1 comparisons and report back. That will be exciting.

Hi Aescalpius, I don’t personally think the DAC chip in the Nyquist will change any time soon. Reason being is how the chip is used in the product.

In the Nyquist the ESS Sabre chip is only doing the very basic A/D conversion, nothing more. Most of its advanced features have been switched off. All the sound related processing is being done in the custom Brinkmann sound processing portion of the DAC. The benefit of this particular chipset is the number of DACs per channel, which allow minimizing of any digital harshness. That’s also why the DAC does not sound like an ESS DAC.

My confidence is based on knowledge about how meticulous the R&D process at Brinkmann is. There is an anecdote about the two key developers testing the mk2 DAC module and getting different sound results from two different units. An investigation showed that the difference was caused by one supplier having mixed some screws in a batch delivered to them. As a result one screw attaching the DAC board to the chassis in one of those two DACs had a slightly different metallurgical consistence. They heard the difference.

And what I already heard in Munich was very promising, I’m looking forward to my Nyquist mk2 DAC module.

Kuoppis,

I am also very interested in reading your finding when you will receive your MK2 module. Indeed, I recently tested the NAGRA HD DAC against the Nyquist and found the NAGRA superior with "NON MQA" music, and on par with the Nyquist with MQA files. So, if the MK2 version really improve the Nyquist sound quality I will do the plunge since the Nagra cost twice the Nyquist.

In the mean time, since I will need to find the perfect music server/streamer for my next DAC, I would like to understand why in your big ring you have an Aurender N100H and also a Synology NAS + Roon ? do you make different usage of each one ? which server/streamer solution will you recommend if I want only one server/streamer ?

thanks in advance for your advices.
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Quote Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
    Kuoppis,

I am also very interested in reading your finding when you will receive your MK2 module. Indeed, I recently tested the NAGRA HD DAC against the Nyquist and found the NAGRA superior with "NON MQA" music, and on par with the Nyquist with MQA files. So, if the MK2 version really improve the Nyquist sound quality I will do the plunge since the Nagra cost twice the Nyquist.

In the mean time, since I will need to find the perfect music server/streamer for my next DAC, I would like to understand why in your big ring you have an Aurender N100H and also a Synology NAS + Roon ? do you make different usage of each one ? which server/streamer solution will you recommend if I want only one server/streamer ?

thanks in advance for your advices.
    bmichels,

That is a very interesting comparison indeed. The Nagra HD is about as good as digital gets, I remember you told the Nyquist held its own against it with MQA in your comparison.

Based on what I have heard about the mk2 DAC module it will improve transparency and detail retrieval w/o adding any harshness. As such my guesstimate is it might indeed give the HD DAC a run for its money.

I’ll report back as soon as I receive the mk2 module and let you know how the Nyquist has improved. Will be interesting.

PS: The Aurender was there first and stayed because Roon was not able to identify MQA files. Now that Roon caught up last week, the Aurender is going to the Summer House. Fits nicely, as my DAC there does not support MQA and the Aurender will unfold.

Hi,

allow me to chime in. I am just back from Munich and also met Bob Stuart and the MQA team. The new ESS chip will help manufactures to implement MQA with less horsepower needed in the DSP. There is no sound quality advantage. Since we have a powerful DSP and can do all MQA algorithms in it already, there is no advantage for using this new chip.

Regards
    Matthias
    Matthias Lück
    Brinkmann Audio GmbH

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Hi,

allow me to chime in. I am just back from Munich and also met Bob Stuart and the MQA team. The new ESS chip will help manufactures to implement MQA with less horsepower needed in the DSP. There is no sound quality advantage. Since we have a powerful DSP and can do all MQA algorithms in it already, there is no advantage for using this new chip.

Regards
    Matthias
    Thanks Matthias, that was kind of my understanding as well: in the Nyquist the ESS Sabre DAC chips (two of them I believe) do the pure D/A conversion and pretty much everything sound related is handled by the in-house DSP.

Hi,

Regards
    Matthias
    Matthias, while you are commenting here... Huge congratulations!

I just saw it, a brand new review of the Nyquist in the June issue of Stereoplay Magazine. They crowned the Nyquist their new DAC reference, outranking the outstanding Nagra HD DAC. It is now the reference in two of the three main German audio magazines (third one has not tested yet).

Very well done indeed.

Hi,

Regards
    Matthias
    Hi Matthias, thank you very much for the "inside" information. Also allow me to congratulate and thank you for your brilliant design and implementation of the Nyquist DAC. I'm looking forward to hearing the Mk II module! Keep up the great work :-)

Hi

I am new to the forum and about to order a Nyquist MK11. I do not want to hijack the current thread, but I would like to ask a new Q? Has anyone had experiences with SGM 2015 Sound Servers out of Monaco? I have read several rave reviews from highly respected reviewers, and having communicated with the company owner, I understand that are. Just in the process of launching a version 2.

Thanks

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

It is my pleasure and privilege. I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Cheers

JerryB

Quote Originally Posted by Stilllooking View Post
    Hi

I am new to the forum and about to order a Nyquist MK11. I do not want to hijack the current thread, but I would like to ask a new Q? Has anyone had experiences with SGM 2015 Sound Servers out of Monaco? I have read several rave reviews from highly respected reviewers, and having communicated with the company owner, I understand that are. Just in the process of launching a version 2.

Thanks
    Hi Jerry, can’t go wrong with a Nyquist Mk2 I would say Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

Have not come across SGM 2015 Sound Server before. Do have a pimped-up Synology for music myself and an Aurender for another system.

Super Moderator

Thank you Jerry, happy to have you here.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Again

Please check out the Sound Galleries Website and then reviews.

Jerry

Kuoppis - does the Nyquist buffer streaming (eg from Tidal)? I am in Singapore and it turns out (me plus 4 friends who stream from Tidal have this experience) that Tidal in Singapore is very unreliable. Apparently there is a possible fix (change the DNS of the router, which I will try very soon). My Lumin buffers, but not enough to get a reliable stream all the time. Even assuming that changing my DNS fixes this issue, I like the idea of a component in my chain which buffers.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Kuoppis - does the Nyquist buffer streaming (eg from Tidal)? I am in Singapore and it turns out (me plus 4 friends who stream from Tidal have this experience) that Tidal in Singapore is very unreliable. Apparently there is a possible fix (change the DNS of the router, which I will try very soon). My Lumin buffers, but not enough to get a reliable stream all the time. Even assuming that changing my DNS fixes this issue, I like the idea of a component in my chain which buffers.
    I assume it might have some memory and do, but you do get better sound if you’re buffering on the NAS.

I do have a 256 GB SSD in my NAS for buffering only and another for RAM. Anything that is played back goes first on an SSD and is then played back from there. That’s also how an Aurender works.

Matthias, while you are commenting here... Huge congratulations!

I just saw it, a brand new review of the Nyquist in the June issue of Stereoplay Magazine. They crowned the Nyquist their new DAC reference, outranking the outstanding Nagra HD DAC. It is now the reference in two of the three main German audio magazines (third one has not tested yet).

Very well done indeed.

Interesting observation: Since the very favorable review in Stereoplay only a couple weeks back I see a lots of Nagra HD DACs on sale. Some even stating they’re selling due to switching to the Nyquist.

Interesting what a positive review in a well respected publication can do (or vice versa).

I assume it might have some memory and do, but you do get better sound if you’re buffering on the NAS.

I do have a 256 GB SSD in my NAS for buffering only and another for RAM. Anything that is played back goes first on an SSD and is then played back from there. That’s also how an Aurender works.

How about streaming from eg Tidal? Or is a transporter (eg a Lumin U1 or Aurender) needed for that with the Nyquist?
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

How about streaming from eg Tidal? Or is a transporter (eg a Lumin U1 or Aurender) needed for that with the Nyquist?
    Nope, none needed. It’s a complete package.

The Nyquist is both, a streamer and a Roon endpoint. E.g. Tidal works directly into the Nyquist from an Aurender or from just a NAS with Roon Core, as I am doing it nowadays.

Works like a charm.

So where does the Tidal buffering take place?

I wonder is DEEZER is also integrated (or usable) with the Nyquist ? In this case, which app is used ? Are the Lyrics, which are available through DEEZER's iPAD app still available when used with the Nyquist's recomended app ?
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).

So where does the Tidal buffering take place?
    The Nyquist is a streamer, so it does the buffering as well.

Also, it is a MQA renderer and MQA DAC, so it does both unfolding and decoding for MQA.

I wonder is DEEZER is also integrated (or usable) with the Nyquist ? In this case, which app is used ? Are the Lyrics, which are available through DEEZER's iPAD app still available when used with the Nyquist's recomended app ?
    Deezer support is also included, just like Tidal.

When using DEEZER on the Nyquist, do we use the original iPAD DEEZER app (which offer Lyric reading during playback) of do we use DEEZER through another application (which do NOT offer lyrics reading) ?

When using DEEZER on the Nyquist, do we use the original iPAD DEEZER app (which offer Lyric reading during playback) of do we use DEEZER through another application (which do NOT offer lyrics reading) ?
    Original app/ browser when playing back from PC, but not sure about iPad. And of course depending on playback platform like Aurender and Roon their apps as well.

Updates on the mk2 upgrade from Robert Harley’s Munich High End summary:

“Brinkmann’s Nyquist DAC that I reviewed so favorably in Issue 278 was touted as being easily field upgradable by virtue of its modular construction. Now the company has fulfilled that promise with the Nyquist Mk.II. Nyquist owners can simply slide out the digital section (just loosen two rear-panel thumb screws) and exchange the module for the updated version. This new module employs more extensive use of Brinkmann’s unusual technique of deriving low-voltage supplies from the very high plate voltages of the Nyquist’s tube output amplifier. There are now additional voltage regulators, which reportedly better decouple the clock from the rest of the circuit for lower jitter, particularly via the Ethernet and USB inputs. The Nyquist Mk.II was featured in one of the shows best-sounding system that included Vandersteen Model 7 Mk.II speakers and the latest Mk.II versions of Brinkmann’s Edison phonostage and Marconi linestage electronics.”

Hi guys,

I am still a bit in the post Munich stress :-) Hence the late answer to the request on buffering and Tidal. The Nyquist buffers Tidal. It's something between 8 and 9 seconds in Hifi/Masters quality setting.

Best
    Matthias
    Matthias Lück
    Brinkmann Audio GmbH

Heard today I will be receiving my new Mk2 module in not too distant future.

That will be exciting Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

That's fantastic, the Nyquist is one of the two or three that are on my radar for mid-term change. Really after Munich it seems that the work has accumulated to the manufacturers. I'm waiting for a Gobel XLR cable and I'm "running out of nails" because of impatience
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    That's fantastic, the Nyquist is one of the two or three that are on my radar for mid-term change. Really after Munich it seems that the work has accumulated to the manufacturers. I'm waiting for a Gobel XLR cable and I'm "running out of nails" because of impatience
    They’re substantial, that’s exciting.

Any first listening report of the MkII version yet ? I am excited to know how the MKII version improve on the original version !

will it beat the NAGRA HD DAC...for half the price ;-)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team