Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound

Read this: vacuum tube output stage, upgradable digital section, discrete DSD DAC/ DSD256 (quad)/ MQA/ 384kHz PCM, Roon ready, ext power supply. The tech specs make you want this, the sound makes you desire it. So many candy features added to one product, it’s incredible. Yeah well, don’t mind the looks either.

Tech: Technically the Nyquist has an ESS Sabre 9018S chip with 2 x 8 DACs, but the digital filters have been implemented outside the D/A chip in Brinkmann’s custom DSP; the Sabre does only D/A conversion. All PCM is upsampled to 352 kHz or 384 kHz. The DSD section is fully discrete, in-house developed and capable of quad DSD. All of the gadgetry sits in the user removable digital section enclosure, allowing replacement when a new DAC-chip-du-jour emerges. The power supply is housed in a separate enclosure for not to interfere with the sound.

The output stage is built around NOS Telefunken PCF803 tubes. Analog filtering happens through Lundahl transformers. Connecting options are also plenty, every alternative covered.

What’s there not to like, the spec sheet reads like a holiday wish list.

Reviews: In Stereoplay Fremer liked it quite a bit, but JA was critical about some measurements and so it was heavily downgraded in the rankings. But no such mention in TAS, Stereo, Hi-Fi & Records or Audio - just high praise. Why might that be? Well, not the first time JA has attested bad measurement results to something that sounds great. At least I could not hear the slightest bit of anything that would have caused anything but sheer delight.

Sound: Plenty of detail and clarity, yet without even a hint of sharpness - really remarkable. This DAC sounds like a top-grade vinyl player without the cracks and pops, which really is no wonder given Brinkmann’s stellar analogue track record. In case I have understood it correctly, vinyl also served as a sounding reference. It’s just wonderful.

There’s a delicacy to the details in the highs, a holographic sound I guess attributable to the tubes. Mids are clear and full, without being outright warm, bass full, grippy and with a punch. I mostly listen to vinyl because I find it more relaxing, but with this DAC there simply is no listening fatigue at all.

My main intention auditioning this DAC was initially to get a reference level opportunity to evaluate MQA (a few postings now in the MQA thread). I think this is the top option in the almost-affordable category up to 20K. The Berkeley Ref. is very nice, but it is just a renderer and needs to be fed with unfolded MQA material to fully decode (and does not have a CE approval for Europe due to some lead issues). The MSBs have a similar issue due to MQA being implemented only in the USB port, so other feeds don’t do MQA. PS Audio and Myteks cost a third or less of this one and are hence sound-wise understandably on a different planet, not even getting into the same solar system.

For anyone into DSD, due to the discrete implementation the Nyquist does what any DAC level DSD implementation just cannot do. Superb DSD quality.

But right now I don’t really care about the format, because everything sounds great. The sound is overall very un-digital, in a way an unusual and rare combination of fine detail retrieval w/o any edginess or sharpness, just a very balanced and natural sound.

Long story short, this is easily the best DAC I have ever heard in my system - best without even trying. I liked the Nagra HD DAC in Munich, but it was maybe all-in-all a tad cold. A long time Meitner owner, I can assure it’s not even in the same league than the Brinkmann. MSB Analogue DAC sounds more digital, the Reference and Select I have not heard enough to really compare. Berkeley Ref is great and DCS top models are hard to beat, but I do like the Nyquist sound the best.

And it really fits quite snugly into my rack, doesn’t it?
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound

Congrats. World class DAC. Killer system you have put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Audioshark

Sweeeeet! Awesome! So happy for you. What a great DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

My dealer really likes this a lot and wants me to as well!

I agree it reads impressive!

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Congrats! That's the DAC I drool over.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
    Congrats. World class DAC. Killer system you have put together.

Thanks, I think it really is. I was really surprised how extraordinarily good it sounds in my system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Sweeeeet! Awesome! So happy for you. What a great DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mike, would fit into your line-up as well. It’s that good.

ARC REF10, Pass X350.8, Magico M3 and the Brinkmann Nyquist - what a system.

A word of caution: That system might affect the economy though, as people would not leave the house anymore Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    My dealer really likes this a lot and wants me to as well!

I agree it reads impressive!

I cannot but to agree with your dealer, sometimes a man needs professional help...

The specs were what I got intrigued about at the beginning, the sound is what got me attached.

It does not come cheap, but this is a destination DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgeezr View Post
    Congrats! That's the DAC I drool over.
    Steve, I do see your vinyl postings and do like them a lot. This really is the one for you.

This is the first DAC that makes me not to crave vinyl sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    This is the first DAC that makes me not to crave vinyl sound.
    That says something. Congrats!

S3 mk2, Pass 250.8 and now this. You're moving fast.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    That says something. Congrats!

S3 mk2, Pass 250.8 and now this. You're moving fast.
    Yes, that’s a big statement. I was bamboozled.

Lately, or about since I got back into vinyl, I have not been enjoying digital that much. Checking out stuff yes, but not really listening. The Meitner is a good DAC, but nevertheless.

Now with the Nyquist, however, I do feel the same calm and relaxation I do get through vinyl. It’s not the preying on details and all that, it’s just really enjoying the music. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t say a good DAC needs to sound like vinyl, it actually should sound better due to the higher resolution, improved dynamic range and better channel separation.

When it was introduced I immediately admired the concept and the elegant technical solution, but now I am truly surprised how good the Nyquist actually sounds. I do get the details, I do get the dynamics, but there just is no glare.

Suppose the end result has to do with Brinkmann’s extraordinary vinyl expertise.

How could I omit Alan Sircom’s Nyquist review, shame on me. He is one of the reviewers I respect the most and a key influencer who got me intrigued about the Magico S1 mk1 way back when.

As he always does, he sums it up pretty nicely: “Perhaps the big and consistent sonic positive about the Brinkmann Nyquist is the complete absence of a mechanical or artificial sound.” That’s what I’m hearing.

http://www.brinkmann-audio.de/inhalt...t_hp112017.pdf

Also others at hi-fi+ appear to like the Nyquist:

Seems like Santa Claus was very generous this year - must be that you behaved nicely during the course of the year . Joke aside, congratulations on this fine pcs of electronics and I just love how it looks! Sound wise your description is more than clear
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Another positive mention, just out:

TAS Top Picks in High-End Audio and Music 2017

Brinkmann Nyquist DAC immediately establishes the company as a major contributor to first-rank digital playback. The vacuum tube output stage produces a sound that is very “non-digital,” embodying all the qualities that analog is famous for— dimensionality, treble smoothness, bloom, timbral purity—but coupled with digital’s strengths of image solidity, pitch stability, and bass impact.

The combination of analog-like warmth, bloom, and ease along with the state-of-the-art in digital connectivity makes the Nyquist an extremely compelling package.

Congrats! Nice write up.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Awesome DAC, congrats.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    Seems like Santa Claus was very generous this year - must be that you behaved nicely during the course of the year . Joke aside, congratulations on this fine pcs of electronics and I just love how it looks! Sound wise your description is more than clear
    Appreciate it. This technical marvel deserves a top shelve spot, so it is possible to admire the circuitry every time passing by.

Luckily the sound is as great as the looks Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

Here’s another interesting factoid about the Nyquist: At Brinkmann they call the DAC module an Analogue DA-Converter. There’s a reason for that.

When the Nyquist was developed, no other DAC was used as a reference point for sounding, only the world-class Brinkmann turntables. Also, the architecture and analogue section of the DAC have been derived from their reference-level Edison phono stage.

I said it earlier somewhere, to me this DAC sounds more like a top level turntable than a traditional DA converter. No wonder.

This DAC just loves jazz (and MQA), it’s like listening to vinyl. To borrow from the TAS Top Picks 2017 write-up: dimensionality, treble smoothness, bloom, timbral purity.

Really astonishing, no digital glare - none. I could listen the whole night, so cool.

So will you be keeping it?

Congrats on finding a "needle in the hay stack" of digital & congrats on getting it right in the "lucky dip" of mix & match. You've really smashed the record of home run out of the park for "you", with your system at the mo. It's always so hard to not get frustrated with a piece of the puzzle & discard it for the latest greatest or a newer piece only to realise so much later, sometimes not so much later, that it wasn't the most productive move to your best music listening enjoyment.
    For me I am thinking I am in the same place with my Soulution gear as in the 511 & the 560 with the Marten speakers, my last stagger in the journey once again comes around to the pre-amp. So many options & such a variety of tone to explore.
    I wish you many many hours of contentment as i know how bad nearly can be for people as sick as us!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    This is a tough one. I really like it and I think it is really good.

My brain says ‘you’re crazy’, my heart says ‘those guys at Brinkmann really know what they do’.

It’s a lots of moolah for a DAC, but on the other hand I really think it is something special. IMHO this is not another DAC, this is a work of art.

Congrats on finding a "needle in the hay stack" of digital & congrats on getting it right in the "lucky dip" of mix & match. You've really smashed the record of home run out of the park for "you", with your system at the mo. It's always so hard to not get frustrated with a piece of the puzzle & discard it for the latest greatest or a newer piece only to realise so much later, sometimes not so much later, that it wasn't the most productive move to your best music listening enjoyment.
    The thing is, you cannot just pick great components and throw them together. There needs to be system synergy as well.

So I agree, only through study and trial and error you will find your optimum system. But I think I’ve made some progress recently.

For me I am thinking I am in the same place with my Soulution gear as in the 511 & the 560 with the Marten speakers, my last stagger in the journey once again comes around to the pre-amp. So many options & such a variety of tone to explore.
    I wish you many many hours of contentment as i know how bad nearly can be for people as sick as us!
    Soulution is great, but as everything it needs to be partnered right to reach its full potential.

Talking about high acclaim, yet another award for the Nyquist (January issue):

Congratulations!! I first saw and heard this DAC at RMAF 2016. It sounded pretty good during that event and I could see where many individuals would find it to their liking. Have fun listening and trying out some additional MQA content too!!
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Congratulations!! I first saw and heard this DAC at RMAF 2016. It sounded pretty good during that event and I could see where many individuals would find it to their liking. Have fun listening and trying out some additional MQA content too!!
    Might sound like heard before, but for a vinyl enthusiast like me the Nyquist is the destination DAC. I guess my thinking did not stretch far enough to envision this was possible.

For me this is it.

TAS laudatio on the 2017 Streaming DAC of the Year:

Brinkmann may be best known for its 35-year track record of making exceptional turntables, but its new Nyquist DAC immediately establishes the company as a major contributor to first-rank digital playback. The Nyquist is brimming with advanced features, including MQA decoding, high-speed DSD support, Roon-ready operation, UPnP connectivity, and upgradeable digital circuitry. Yet for all its cutting-edge digital prowess, the Nyquist’s output stage is built around that most ancient and venerable of audio technologies, the vacuum tube. This marriage produces a sound that is very “un-digital,” embodying all the qualities that analog is famous for—dimensionality, treble smoothness, bloom, timbral purity—but coupled with digital’s strengths of image solidity, pitch stability, and bass impact. The combination of analog-like warmth, bloom, and ease along with the state-of-the-art in digital connectivity makes the Nyquist our Streaming DAC of the Year.

What is nice with the Brinkmann Nyquist also, is its versatility. A lots of connectivity options, inbuilt Roon and network capability via Ethernet or playing MQA with or without prior unfolding - anything goes. It plays all formats equally well and hence allows to compare their merits.

When comparing music in different formats it appears there rarely is an ubiquitous and always applicable benefit in one format over the other. While e.g. in “Mama Earth” with Joss Stone MQA appears to reveal more detail and have less sibilants, in Charlie Haden/ Jim Hall’s “Bemsha Swing” MQA again seems to put a slight veil on top of the music and I thus liked the PCM version better. DSD in turn pretty much always sounds great to my ears, but the catalogue is limited.

Another feature important with my music taste is, that while detailed and offering an exact window into the music, the DAC must not be too polite sounding. Here Dio’s “Holy Diver”, Ozzy’s “Crazy Train” or Dire Straits’ “Money For Nothing” are delivered with grunt and as much conviction and finesse as Beethoven’s “5th” or Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Dance of the Tumblers”.

Audioshark

What is nice with the Brinkmann Nyquist also, is its versatility. A lots of connectivity options, inbuilt Roon and network capability via Ethernet
    The future of DAC’s...
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The future of DAC’s...
    I think so too.

This is a good case in point: I don’t have to decide from the get go, which way I want to go. As a first step I did hook up the Nyquist to the Aurender to get started and can still switch to Roon later on if I would like to.

Whether Linn fan or not, its late founder Ivor Tiefenbrun was right saying that good musical reproduction has to start with the source.

Kuoppis - have you succumbed and bought it yet? It sounds like it is amazing.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

I've recently been looking for a possible replacement for my Meridian 818v3.
    i recently auditioned the Nyquist.
    If your system is without a Pre, then you will need to purchase one in order to utilise the Nyquist. This then practically doubles it's cost ! ( In the UK , the Nyquist is £13k, the Marconi would add £8k, another £5k on cables etc ! ) so, it puts the Nyquist up a against some other serious alternatives!

I also auditioned it paired with my Headphone Amp ( Tron Antares/ HiFiMan1000v2) and this made a'mighty' pairing. Better than anything I've ever heard in a Headphone system!

I endorse the positive comments already stated! Certainly a more analogue sound whilst retaining all that's good in digital.

( speaker system- Innuos SE , Ethernet to the two systems, Vitus/ B&W 803 d3)
    my alternatives to audition- Merging NADAC/Power/ Soulution/ Esoteric/ Meridian Ultra.
    Also , a new product ( Range) which is gradually being released- Quiescent.Anyone thinking of buying a similar product would be advised to wait!!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum David, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
    I've recently been looking for a possible replacement for my Meridian 818v3.
    i recently auditioned the Nyquist.
    If your system is without a Pre, then you will need to purchase one in order to utilise the Nyquist. This then practically doubles it's cost ! ( In the UK , the Nyquist is £13k, the Marconi would add £8k, another £5k on cables etc ! ) so, it puts the Nyquist up a against some other serious alternatives!

I also auditioned it paired with my Headphone Amp ( Tron Antares/ HiFiMan1000v2) and this made a'mighty' pairing. Better than anything I've ever heard in a Headphone system!

I endorse the positive comments already stated! Certainly a more analogue sound whilst retaining all that's good in digital.

( speaker system- Innuos SE , Ethernet to the two systems, Vitus/ B&W 803 d3)
    my alternatives to audition- Merging NADAC/Power/ Soulution/ Esoteric/ Meridian Ultra.
    Also , a new product ( Range) which is gradually being released- Quiescent.Anyone thinking of buying a similar product would be advised to wait!!
    David, thank you for sharing your impressions. Nice to hear others having similar experiences.

A good summary as I find, an analog sound while retaining the strengths of digital. I really think the Nyquist hits one out of the ball park.

Love this album, but I love it even more in MQA via the Nyquist: Transparent, detailed, spatial, deep.

Love this album, but I love it even more in MQA via the Nyquist: Transparent, detailed, spatial, deep.

I prefer the MQA version by a slight margin to the 24/96 version I downloaded and own.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I prefer the MQA version by a slight margin to the 24/96 version I downloaded and own.
    I have yet to make a comparison between MQA and the vinyl I own. That will be interesting.

If you like Imelda,check out her version of 'I wish I had someone to love me' on utube(can't post the link as I'm a new member)Here singing with The Dubliners ( only John remaining-of the original Dubs)
    (Also check out Luke singing Raglan Road or Scorn not his simplicity !!)
    Any dry eyes ?? be honest !! transcends formats ??
    If you can find it there's also a lovely version of this song sung by Barney

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Kuoppis - have you succumbed and bought it yet? It sounds like it is amazing.
    AJR, you know the story, it’s three Marshmallows right away Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

And as such, yes, I have decided to keep the Nyquist. It is simply superb. And there are a couple of reasons:
    - at this point it simply is hard to find any DAC with its technical feature set at basically any price point. There are cheaper ones that do not come close sound wise, and even much more expensive ones that are not able to match its spec.
    - further, the sound is just incredible with any media supported. I have not heard any other digital product sounding this good.
    - technical versatility is also par excellence, it offers any rational connectivity or media alternative I could possibly be interested in and is technically bleeding edge.
    - and finally it is future proof, with the exchangeable DAC module I do not need to worry about the next new format or emerging latest DAC chip, as pretty much anything can be adjusted by replacing or modifying the DAC module.

Sharkmouth, to come back to your question, I am definitely keeping the Nyquist.

I do have a number of good offers on a range of the latest DAC designs, but I find that no other product can match the combination of the Nyquist’s elaborate design, audio qualities, versatility in connectivity, tech capabilities and media support or it’s future-proofness at this price point at least.

The capabilities of the Nyquist were best illustrated to me when I auditioned it direct to my Tron Antares/HiFiMan HE1000v2(thus eliminating several external influences)
    The audition was carried out at the premises of a quality Traditional HiFi Dealer(where analogue abounded!)
    I handed my Headphones to the Dealer,who exclaimed " Wow,it's like being hard-wired to the Artiste' !! It was that good !!
    I'm not good at describing 'sound' any more than I am in interpreting others attempts to do the same! As mentioned,I'm looking at Ethernet attached DAC/Pre ,not necessarily with all the formats-as long as it does one right! (although it's good to have all to compare!) The Nyquist is clearly very musical and engaging and certainly hit my 'sweet-spot'. Given that I'm looking at the Merging NADAC/ Soulution 560 and the new Quiescent, there's nothing here that's cheaper than the Nyquist !! But, as mentioned, in such a forward thinking product, I question why no on-board Pre?Having said that,I still don't 'get' why the Meridian 818/Ultra gets virtually no 'love' !!....and the 818's been about for some years ! Having recently upgraded my digital streaming source, has also resulted in a huge uplift.
    In the new year,I will get to audition the products as mentioned.It will be interesting to note how the Nyquist stacks up against these other products.Either way, it's the future !!?? On the basis of the well known 'crap in-crap out' philosophy , Quiescent's new four box Streamer/PSU/DAC/Pre will be very interesting ! (If you can 'cope' with multi boxes!-maybe even 7 if you consider the X- Series with the Monos and Mains Unit!!)
    Last edited by DavidNC; December 20, 2017 at 02:11 AM. Reason: grammer

The capabilities of the Nyquist were best illustrated to me when I auditioned it direct to my Tron Antares/HiFiMan HE1000v2(thus eliminating several external influences)
    The audition was carried out at the premises of a quality Traditional HiFi Dealer(where analogue abounded!)
    I handed my Headphones to the Dealer,who exclaimed " Wow,it's like being hard-wired to the Artiste' !! It was that good !!
    I'm not good at describing 'sound' any more than I am in interpreting others attempts to do the same! As mentioned,I'm looking at Ethernet attached DAC/Pre ,not necessarily with all the formats-as long as it does one right! (although it's good to have all to compare!) The Nyquist is clearly very musical and engaging and certainly hit my 'sweet-spot'. Given that I'm looking at the Merging NADAC/ Soulution 560 and the new Quiescent, there's nothing here that's cheaper than the Nyquist !! But, as mentioned, in such a forward thinking product, I question why no on-board Pre?Having said that,I still don't 'get' why the Meridian 818/Ultra gets virtually no 'love' !!....and the 818's been about for some years ! Having recently upgraded my digital streaming source, has also resulted in a huge uplift.
    In the new year,I will get to audition the products as mentioned.It will be interesting to note how the Nyquist stacks up against these other products.Either way, it's the future !!?? On the basis of the well known 'crap in-crap out' philosophy , Quiescent's new four box Streamer/PSU/DAC/Pre will be very interesting ! (If you can 'cope' with multi boxes!-maybe even 7 if you consider the X- Series with the Monos and Mains Unit!!)
    You have quite a statement system I see, congrats. I think the Nyquist would fit right in.

There has been some discussion on the forum about whether to drive your power amp directly with a DAC or with a preamp in between. Many have tried it but it appears people participating on that thread felt mostly that their system sounds better with a preamp in the system and that it does more to your system than just offering volume control.

The NOS Telefunken tubes in the Nyquist are also interesting. They’re a matched pair of pentode/ triode PCF803 tubes originally designed for use in color TV sets. Hence a longevity of approximately ten years in their original use, but as they’re used more gently in the Nyquist they should last even longer.

Here’s also Robert Harley’s Brinkmann Audio Nyquist review in the TAS from beginning of December 2017. It appears he liked this DAC quite a lot.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...o-nyquist-dac/

Regarding an additional Pre ;- There is of course, only one way to know for sure ....and that's an audition with and without!!
    The road is long and cluttered with opinions of with and without's .I have endless emails from Master Audio Builders appertaining to various matters and it seems none can agree on some of the more fundamental issues !! !! I argue from the Minimalist point of view, that a one source digital system does not in my experience , require a stand alone Pre.My Meridian is a suitable example.As the Nyquist is a digital product,then for most, a Pre is not required!(IMHO)
    As mentioned,Quiescent are bringing to the market a dedicated Streaming product of premium quality.They're going for the separate box scenario but I suspect this is more to do with enabling extra Vertex dampening, previously housed in external products (grounding blocks and cables etc )
    Forgetting the expense ,extra boxes brings extra problems,extra cables for one, which means more interference and as I'm not a lover of heavily shielded cables.....less is sometimes more??

Either way, the Nyquist is one quality product!

As an aside ,I wrote to Graham (Tron) regarding the possibility of him building a similar type product. Research of the two Companies would reveal a similar profile. Graham's reply was 'curt' and in some ways , unprintable!! Let's just say he doesn't do 'HiRez' !!

As in so many situations, the truth is in the eye of the beholder. And regarding hi-end audio the decision factor should be what you enjoy most in your system.

Something like this could be a little ear punishing if there’s too much digital glare. Not the case here.

Now it’s just bliss and very nice music. The kettledrum in “Liberty Fanfare” really sounds like a cannon in my system, great dynamics as well.

Hi Kuoppis
    I notice from the photographs on page 1, that you appear to have Headphone attached. How did you find the Headphone out?
    During my audition I forgot to test this until the last moment when the Dealer had to end the audition.
    From the little time I had, I can only say the Headphone out was very poor. So poor, that I concluded that I had not adjusted something correctly?? I can't think that the Headphone out would be as poor as I heard!

I think you need a Brinkmann TT to fully appreciate....

Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I think you need a Brinkmann TT to fully appreciate....

Keith, you’re a tease Brinkmann Nyquist DAC - technical jewel with marvelous sound.

While I do love my Vpi Prime with all its mods, there definitely is a Brinkmann Bardo in the cards. While it is their junior model, that is the one I absolutely want. I love the industrial design and I do love the sound. There’s a story to that.

When I first started toying with the idea of getting back into vinyl, I tried out some mid-tier turntables. When I had made up my mind after some weeks and returned one loaner-table back to the dealer I was working with, he said: “Before you make a decision, please sit down for 30 minutes, so I can give you a glimpse of what is actually technically and sound-wise possible”. Then he rolled in his big dish.

I listened and was completely mesmerized. The natural sound, the the dynamics, the details... it was almost overwhelming, I could not believe my ears what I was hearing. It was nothing like what I had heard during the weeks of auditioning. That session made me a vinyl lover forever. And while at that point the big dish was too large a jump as a first step, I knew one beautiful day I will have that very same ‘table in my own system.

That vinyl player was the Brinkmann Bardo. E.g. vinyl aficionado Richard Vandersteen has it in his private system. One beautiful day, I will as well.

Hi Kuoppis
    I notice from the photographs on page 1, that you appear to have Headphone attached. How did you find the Headphone out?
    During my audition I forgot to test this until the last moment when the Dealer had to end the audition.
    From the little time I had, I can only say the Headphone out was very poor. So poor, that I concluded that I had not adjusted something correctly?? I can't think that the Headphone out would be as poor as I heard!
    David, not sure what was messed up during your test but here’s what Robert Harley had to say about the Nyquist headphone amp:

“The headphone output delivers all of this sound quality and more. Driving the stunningly great Audeze LCD-4 planar-magnetic phones through Nordost Heimdahl cable, the Nyquist was the best-sounding headphone amplifier I’ve heard (although I have not heard many top models). The clarity, transparency, detail, and transient response were phenomenal. Although I ran the Nyquist’s volume control toward the top end of its range on some music, it had plenty of drive on even the most demanding material. The Nyquist’s state-of-the-art headphone amplification section is icing on an already delicious cake.”

As you might know, the Audeze LCD-4 Robert Harley was using is a tougher load for a headphone amp than the Hifiman.

I also do know the excellent Hifiman HE-1000v2 and can assure the Brinkmann Nyquist will drive it with ease. It is not a particularly difficult load and most definitely nothing nearly as demanding as the rather tricky to drive Senn HD800 I used for my MQA test (different thread).

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team