Pre-Amp Shopping - Page 9
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre-Amp Shopping

I agree with you completely on the 6h30 sound. My preference all things considered are for a tube preamp that uses 6SN7's but they are falling by the wayside as the old Cary group was the biggest proponent.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Equi=Core 1800, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! One of my favorite tubes...
    Fate ain’t just who’s cookin smells good but which way the wind blows...

Mac Mini w/ linear power supply, Ayre QB-9 DSD, BAT VK-50, Mcintosh MC402, Joseph Audio RM33le, Magnapan 3.6r, Velodyne FSX12
    Mac Pro, Kef X300A Wireless, B&W ASW-608
    ...endless tubes, cables and tweaks...

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered the BHK today...also have a selection of 12au7, 6922, 7dj8's to try with it...We'll see...should have it by late next week...

Mac Mini w/ linear power supply, Ayre QB-9 DSD, BAT VK-50, Mcintosh MC402, Joseph Audio RM33le, Magnapan 3.6r, Velodyne FSX12

4. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    ...My preference all things considered are for a tube preamp that uses 6SN7's but they are falling by the wayside as the old Cary group was the biggest proponent.
    I have been looking at the Cary SLP-05 preamp with the "ultimate upgrade". Anyone heard this preamp and have an opinion?
    Kevin

Home
    : VPI Aries 3/Lyra Skala/RSA XR10B, PS Audio DS DAC (networked using Roon), PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp and HP mono amps, Sonus Faber Elipsa SE's. PS Audio P5 and P10. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.
    Work: Windows Laptop (Roon)>exaSound e22, PL Dialogue HP integrated, Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento's and Sennheiser HD800S headphones. Shunyata Hydra. Cardas cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    I have been looking at the Cary SLP-05 preamp with the "ultimate upgrade". Anyone heard this preamp and have an opinion?
    See first few pages of this thread.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI CLASSIC 3/Ortofon Cadenza Black> Nordost Valhalla> ASR Basis Exclusive> Wireworld Gold XLR--->

Digital: AURENDER N10> WW Gold AES/EBU> CARY 306 SACD PRO>> WW Plat XLR--->

===> Cary SLP-05>> WW Gold XLR> Bryston 28B-SST2>> WW Silver> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES

[Klaudio/Shunyata/Furutech/SRA/Adona/ Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldhasmail View Post
    Not sure if I should just look for a used ET-5 and pocket the balance...
    It is probably just me, but if your dealer has "loaned" all of those expensive pieces to "try" in your home then you absolutely have an obligation to purchase the piece from him. Otherwise you should not have "borrowed" all of those pieces. To even mention that maybe I should buy a used one after all of this is not right, in my view. After all, he has a huge investment in all of these pieces that he has allowed you to take home, which has also probably devalued the pieces somewhat. Maybe just my view, but loaning you all of those pieces is not free for the dealer. I would consider myself lucky to actually have a dealer available to be able to look at this type of equipment, let alone "borrow" it.
    Electronics: Audio Research LS17 SE | Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2v2 SE, Recovery | PS Audio Steller S300
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b,
    M500 | MrSpeakers Ether | Bryston BHA-1 | Ayres Pono
    Sources: Roon Custom Built Server & Roon Tablet Controller | Oppo BDP-105
    | McIntosh MR85 w/Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | W4S
    | Pangea
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. And you can see in the post I planned on it. But I don’t think I’m going with anything he sells. I’ve spent many thousands with him over the years...that’s why he allows me to home trial things. But, can’t buy something I don’t love...

listening to the BHK preamp right now. Waiting to break it in before I comment...but so far I’m very impressed!

Post Thanks / Like

Well that is fair enough. I just remember years ago when I managed a high end stereo store and someone would come in expecting all of this, borrow equipment, etc. And then go out and try to beat our price. It was so rude and inconsiderate. There is a cost of service for sure.

It is good that you have bought many items from him in the past. Thank you for appreciating your dealers time and effort. I wish I had a dealer that I could go to, but there are none even remotely close ...
    Electronics: Audio Research LS17 SE | Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2v2 SE, Recovery | PS Audio Steller S300
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, R400b,
    M500 | MrSpeakers Ether | Bryston BHA-1 | Ayres Pono
    Sources: Roon Custom Built Server & Roon Tablet Controller | Oppo BDP-105
    | McIntosh MR85 w/Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | W4S
    | Pangea
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9