Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Audioshark

Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

https://youtu.be/vFEzEece5ss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Would have been a tad better if he actually showed us the speaker in the video

Edit-Well, Thanks Joe, you posted at the same time
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Super Moderator

I was thinking the same thing. What the heck, at least a photo.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

From NY Show ( Stereophile )
    Paul

DSkip

My pair should be shipping soon. I recently signed up as the Dallas Harbeth dealer and have these, the Super HL5 Plus, and P3ESR en route.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post

Thanks for posting his comments on speaker simulations are interesting to say the least , speaker xover simulations are not new , when i was involved in the industry we were using them back in 96 and it was not unusual to see others doing so ..

Before math co processors you would select 3 different sims , lock up at closing and the next morning at 9am the PC would just be finished with the 3 rd calculation ..

later with math coprocessors you could do 10 in about 15-20 mins..

Regards

Audioshark

https://www.cnet.com/news/these-very...COS-05-10aaa0i

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I just heard a fabulous looking and sounding pair of 30.2s anniversary edition in a silver eucalyptus color. If you are wondering where, stay tuned.

Joe, are you there?

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

40.2 Anniversary ?

Could be freaking awesome with my Triodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    I just heard a fabulous looking and sounding pair of 30.2s anniversary edition in a silver eucalyptus color. If you are wondering where, stay tuned.

Joe, are you there?

NAD C 658 streamer.

No, these are the 30.2s...Can't wait to listen to the 40.2s.

Mike

Super Moderator

I was just thinking about the 40.2 for myself

No, these are the 30.2s...Can't wait to listen to the 40.2s.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I like the Harbeth sound. Reminds me of the Spendor SP1s I used to have in the 80s. So musical! One can listen to these for hours without getting tired.

Mike

Super Moderator

Mike shot some video of the 30.2 Anniversary speakers. Holy cr@p! What tone and glorious mid-range. The videos never sounded better.

I like the Harbeth sound. Reminds me of the Spendor SP1s I used to have in the 80s. So musical! One can listen to these for hours without getting tired.

NAD C 658 streamer.

DSkip

The 30.2 has quickly become my favorite of the demo units I got (no 40.2 here though). What strikes me about it is that it is such a damn fine nearfield monitor. I have never experienced a speaker with a recessed soundstage that disappeared within that soundstage and ALSO had 'life' and 'jump' to the sound. I've been pairing with the MastersounD Dueventi with great results - far better than any other amp I have, even the higher end MastersounD amps. The thing is though, it sounds good on them all, but superb with the Dueventi.

I would have no hesitation recommending this for a small room where it could be tough to get the right speaker for the space.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    The 30.2 has quickly become my favorite of the demo units I got (no 40.2 here though). What strikes me about it is that it is such a damn fine nearfield monitor. I have never experienced a speaker with a recessed soundstage that disappeared within that soundstage and ALSO had 'life' and 'jump' to the sound. I've been pairing with the MastersounD Dueventi with great results - far better than any other amp I have, even the higher end MastersounD amps. The thing is though, it sounds good on them all, but superb with the Dueventi.

I would have no hesitation recommending this for a small room where it could be tough to get the right speaker for the space.

Agreed.

Congrats on picking up the line Mike they look good.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Thanks Jack. 40.2 Anniversaries come tomorrow. SHL5+ Anniversaries come next week. I’m going to get a pair (SHL5+ Anniversary or 40.2 Anniversary) for my family room (replace KEF LS50’s).

Sounds good and either will be quite a step up from LS-50's. What are you going to power them with at home as your LS-50's were the powered version I thought. INT-60 maybe?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sounds good and either will be quite a step up from LS-50's. What are you going to power them with at home as your LS-50's were the powered version I thought. INT-60 maybe?
    Still debating.

Huge Harbeth lover here for a life time . I bet your ARC would be nice pairing with Harbeth.

Paul

Paul

Maybe a nice VSi or GSi integrated or one of the Triode integrated amps at a lower price point.

DSkip

Paul

Maybe a nice VSi or GSi integrated or one of the Triode integrated amps at a lower price point.
    I can say it sounded pretty good on the Triode TRV-88SER. The 30.2 doesn't need all that power though, so for me the Dueventi added that single ended purity and still powered them very nicely.

DSkip

Is that the KT-88 based integrated that's about 50 wpc? Have you tried Dayens with Harbeth yet?

DSkip

DSkip

Is that the KT-88 based integrated that's about 50 wpc? Have you tried Dayens with Harbeth yet?
    I haven't yet but its in the plans. I don't think the Ampino integrated will be a good fit (speakers are just that much better than the integrated in this instance) but the Ampino pre/mono combination is on the menu. I'm waiting for some additional power cables to come in to do the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Agreed.

Wow, unexpected.

Pass goes well with Harbeths, maybe also ARC. Would also try Ayre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Never heard the Dayens gear but I know Boris at Vista thinks highly of it and I trust his ear.

DSkip

Never heard the Dayens gear but I know Boris at Vista thinks highly of it and I trust his ear.
    Awesome! I've been working with Boris for over 2 years now and our business relationship continues to grow. He knows his way around electronics.

The Dayens stuff is incredible for the money. The Ampino integrated is a fantastic little unit that has a tube-like sound to it that draws everyone in. The preamp and monoblocks are even better and a favorite of mine. At $2500 for the set, they don't leave much to complain about. I've sold three sets now and they are all loved. Heck, I had a customer once come over with no intention to buy and walked away with a new Ampino integrated. He didn't even have a system to put it in at the time.

Sorry for the derail gents. Dayens stuff doesn't get much attention and I get excited when I have a chance to discuss it.

Kuoppis

I know he had been trying to work out the Harbeth deal for a while and glad it worked out. My first thought was Pass but i bet the combination with the "little" Gryphon is something special too.

DSkip

I have been using Boris' phono preamps for over four years and I understand he made some pretty good tube amps himself back in the day. It looks like he may start up again with the assistance of his "friends" at Trafomatic. May have to try one next time as I did do a test for him on the Spark.

DSkip

Did you happen to send that Spark to a guy in Texas?

Can't remember as it has been a while but i got it from Den in N.C.

They just announced the P3ESR 40th Anniversary edition today Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

Paul

What’s different in the 40th Anniversary version P3SR?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

New WBT binding posts , New wiring , New badge and speaker grill etc. All new feedback says they sounds bit faster and tighter bass

Paul

Super Moderator

I think the 40th anniversaries also have better caps on the crossover as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I always wondered how the 40s would sound with Soulution. Wojciech Pacula, the Polish reviewer, had the 40.1s with 7-series Soulution as his reference.
    Parker

Super Moderator

I am sure Harbeth with either Soulution, Job, Spectral, Goldmund, etc. would be great. Those brands might thin out the fatter bottom of Harbeth and be a superb match.

Quote Originally Posted by pdub View Post
    I always wondered how the 40s would sound with Soulution. Wojciech Pacula, the Polish reviewer, had the 40.1s with 7-series Soulution as his reference.
    Parker

NAD C 658 streamer.

Good thing you own a Job.

Super Moderator

Absolutely love it.

Good thing you own a Job.

NAD C 658 streamer.

DSkip

This speaker is addicting.

Attached Images Attached Images

Ha. For a glance, I thought this was Mike's room. So similar shape and color
    Paul

Super Moderator

I thought the same thing. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Ha. For a glance, I thought this was Mike's room. So similar shape and color

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    This speaker is addicting.

Question, How come your 30.2 don't have the Harbeth badge ?
    Paul

DSkip

You know I noticed that earlier today when looking them up. I have no real explanation on that one. The plate on back verifies they are the correct version but that tag is missing on front.

Any views on the 30.2 yet?

As I love my 3PSRs I auditioned the 30.1s but was not impressed as I found them sounding a bit muffled. Are there any improvements in the 30.2 regarding that?

Audioshark

They’re tiny, but sound big for their size. Decent bass too. Very musical. Definitely a big improvement on the Ton Trager stands.

They’re tiny, but sound big for their size. Decent bass too. Very musical. Definitely a big improvement on the Ton Trager stands.

Ok, a must audition for me then. If they’re as good as the 3PSR’s then they’re candidate for the summerhouse.

Well time for a Tiny Tott shootout ....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team