Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review - Page 11
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Results 101 to 108 of 108
  1. #101
    DSkip
    Guest

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOctopus View Post
    These monitors create a soundstage like any other smaller speaker. In fact monitors often image better than bigger, boxier speakers.
    The 30.2 seem to sign off completely on any audible bass around 30 Hz from the frequency sweeps I have done so far in my 26x31 room and away from wall boundaries/reinforcement but the rest is there just not as prominent up until 50Hz and up. Bass frequencies are not directional like the higher frequencies to our ears so have nothing to do with a soundstage per say. Having said that, any time a well placed subwoofer is used, it does tend to create an "illusion" of more focused and fleshed out instruments that have presence in the bottom octaves. It's just an illusion. This is not a bass head speaker by any means though. All the acoustical bass instruments are still present and accounted for in a more natural way like you would hear at any live event with acoustic instruments playing in some acoustic space large enough to house an audience.
    The 30.2 do well with soundstage, but I don't agree with your assessment. To me the 30.2 is for the person who wants to have great sound without much fuss and just enjoy the music. The recessed soundstage is incredible to me and done in a way I've heard no other speaker do it, and I guess in that way it could be unique. However, for sheer soundstage and overall audiophile qualities, these have fallen short compared to the Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole at a similar price, especially given space to breathe. The 30.2 are less fussy with electronics IMO and hold their tone well.

    Regardless, I find that each speaker has their audience and fit to a room. It seems much of my offerings have evolved around monitors/stand mounts and integrated amplifiers and the great thing is each one is unique.

  2. #102
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    The 30.2 do well with soundstage, but I don't agree with your assessment. To me the 30.2 is for the person who wants to have great sound without much fuss and just enjoy the music. The recessed soundstage is incredible to me and done in a way I've heard no other speaker do it, and I guess in that way it could be unique. However, for sheer soundstage and overall audiophile qualities, these have fallen short compared to the Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole at a similar price, especially given space to breathe. The 30.2 are less fussy with electronics IMO and hold their tone well.

    Regardless, I find that each speaker has their audience and fit to a room. It seems much of my offerings have evolved around monitors/stand mounts and integrated amplifiers and the great thing is each one is unique.
    I am not familiar with Rosso Fiorentino so can't comment which is better in terms of soundstage and audiophile qualities. Harbeth would not be necessarily my first choice if I was concerned with those parameters. I've owned enough speakers that did all that very well but left me cold in the end. With the 30.2's I don't think about those things, I just get lost in the music!
    Serge

  3. Likes joeinid, Mike liked this post
  4. #103
    DSkip
    Guest

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    That was my point Serge Harbeth is the music-lovers speaker that really leave little to complain about.

    RF has a similar tone to the Harbeths but also offer the audiophile qualities to the mix. I won't go further as that isn't the point of this thread, but if you like the 30.2s, you will likely love the Fiesole.

  5. #104
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    That was my point Serge Harbeth is the music-lovers speaker that really leave little to complain about.

    RF has a similar tone to the Harbeths but also offer the audiophile qualities to the mix. I won't go further as that isn't the point of this thread, but if you like the 30.2s, you will likely love the Fiesole.
    If I ever get a chance I would happily audition just for fun but the 30.2 are keepers. It was love at first listen
    Serge

  6. Likes Mike liked this post
  7. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review


  8. Likes Paul liked this post
  9. #106
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    15,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Sounds awesome!
    Joe

    Avantgarde Duo XD, JBL L100 (orange), Luxman MQ-300, JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary,
    Pass XA25, McIntosh MCLK12, Job INTegrated, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber Kables, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables, Burmester 948, Linear Tube Audio MZ2, Bricasti M1SE, Naim Supernait 2, Lumin U1 mini.

  10. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario
    Posts
    4,708
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    Which you like better ? Luxman or Primaluna ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paul

  11. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary Edition Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Which you like better ? Luxman or Primaluna ?

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Summerhouse upgrade finalized. Heard TAD ME-1 (superb details, excellent top to bottom reach), Sonus Faber Homage Tradition (gorgeous build, superb mids and highs) and Harbeth 30.2 (natural sound, voice world champions).

    Can’t help, just like the Harbeth sound. And I want something else than what I have in the in the main system.

    I know it’s blasphemy, but for me the grilles are off. Otherwise I find them too mellow.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

    Big rig: AMG V12 with Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H with Curious USB/ Synology NAS with Roon with AQ Vodka RJ45/ Brinkmann Nyquist/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass Labs X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC + speaker + power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

    Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster PSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

    HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ HD Plex linear PSU/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

  12. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
 

 
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11