Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Pass Labs XP-22

Pass Labs XP-22

Has anyone heard this new preamp from Pass Labs? It was recently released and it replaces the two box XP-20 which has been around for about eight or ten years. I think it retails for about $9,500. It should have some trickle down technology from the XS series. I think I read that it has a new volume control, or the one from the XP-30 and lower noise.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Re: Pass Labs XP-22

Has it been released yet? Would love to hear thoughts as well. One of my amplifier upgrade options is the new XP-22 and the X350.8.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Has it been released yet? Would love to hear thoughts as well. One of my amplifier upgrade options is the new XP-22 and the X350.8.
    It has been released and apparently is selling quite well. I am curious to know if it is an across the board improvement over the XP-20 or if it is simply voiced differently, similar to the .5 and .8 series of amps. Depending on the system in which I heard them, I preferred the XA160.5 to the XA160.8 in my system, but I preferred the .8 to the .5 in a friend's system who had the Magico M Pro speakers.

Mike, do you have any information and have you heard the XP-22 or the XP 12 and 17?
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Very exciting.

I am gambling that the trickle down tech from the $30K XS pre makes the new XP-22 a noticeable improvement over my XP-20 with the Revelation Audio Cyro Silver umbilical cord. For the XP-22 they are now using aircraft grade 9 pin connectors and copper/silver wire for the umbilical versus the plastic, throw-away DB-25 used on the XP-20. Hopefully, that will match, or exceed, the RA cable performance. It certainly will be easier to attach than was the DB-25 after it is installed in the rack.

Anyway, I placed an order with Mike for one, and have an approximate 5 week delivery date. I will either have a nice Xmas break, or start the year with something new.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Congratulations, Bud. BTW, I think the XS Pre is $38,000. I just ordered one also trading in my XP-20. I just sent my Transparent cables to the factory for recalibration as the preamp output impedance is much lower on the new XP-22 which should help drive my 6M balanced cables to my Pass XA160.5. According to the specs, the noise is lower, the frequency response is flatter and more extended, the volume control is from the XP30, there is only one input gain stage, there is higher Class A bias, and the transformer is larger and quieter and wrapped in Mu metal. I'm excited. I am hoping it is a significant improvement.

The XP27 phono should be out by the end of the year. I suspect these new units will be like the .8 amps with trickle down tech from the XS line for a much lower price. I've heard great things about your S5II speakers and I've always thought that Pass/Magico is a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I've heard great things about your S5II speakers and I've always thought that Pass/Magico is a great combination.
    Pass just loves Magico and vice versa, great combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Thanks Peter. Congratulations also to you.

I have a question about " as the preamp output impedance is much lower on the new XP-22". Does that mean for the same SPL we will have to use a higher volume, lower volume, or no difference?

Now I wonder how the volume will be calibrated on the XP-22. The 0-87 scale on the XP-20 bothered me from an aesthetic perspective.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

The XP-20's volume control warlike the XP-10's. If the XP-22's is like the XP-12 then (from the Pass web site):
    "The XP-12 uses the single stage volume control borrowed from the XS line preamp. This gives us one hundred 1 dB steps with lower noise and distortion while removing some signal path parts."

While everyone is upgrading, if you need some place to put those old Pass preamps, send them my way,
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Pass Labs XP-22