Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

After Market Power Cables thru Power Conditioner/Surge Protection or Direct to Outlet?

I am curious on thoughts about running PCs directly to outlet vs thru a Furman, Panamax, or other Power conditioner/Surge protection units.
    I have read that you won't notice the benefits of After Market (HE) Power Cables if you don't run them directly to the Outlet. Not sure if this is always true and what anyone thinks here about it.

If yes, does it make more sense to change the PC on the conditioner and not the components, or both?
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Re: After Market Power Cables thru Power Conditioner/Surge Protection or Direct to Outlet?

I think that it will be situation specific.
    Depending on the power conditioner model and the connected hi-fi components.

Re: After Market Power Cables thru Power Conditioner/Surge Protection or Direct to Outlet?

I run mine to the Surgex, I liked the sound better than direct to wall, plus, I wanted surge protection for my gear. The Surgex actually has its cord attached. PS Audio suggests better results with replacing the cord that comes with their power products. I do have an aftermarket on my PSA Quintet but really never did a comparison.

You have to be very careful, especially with running power amps into products as to not limit the power to the amp. My Quintet has special outlets for power amps, the Surgex Is said not to limit current. Actually the one on my power amp is a 20 amp version, on a dedicated 20 amp line.

Best to experiment and listen. One of the first power products I tried was an early gen Transparent, it did starve the Krell amp I was using. It was easy to hear the lack of attack when going into the product. Another experience I had was with a very expensive Audience two outlet thing, cost about $1600.00. I can't say what the issue was, I just didn't like it with my Pass amp. The dealer is like, so & so from Stereophile says he wouldn't be without his. Me, I don't know what to tell you but I don't want one.

I'm can't remember how I discovered Surgex, I was skeptical because I never heard of it in audiophile circles, or, at all. I tried one out, after all they say it's used in Carnegie Hall, I liked the result, quieter background and slight overall improvement in sound.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I use an APC HT-15 for my main gear that has dedicated Amp outlets. It does have a detachable cord but it is already 3x beefier than gear stock cords. I am just considering dipping my toes in the pc waters for christmas but got worried after reading reviews. I will just have to play around when I get a few.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

SurgeX, Brick Wall and ZeroSurge all make excellent products. They all use the same 'Series Mode Surge Protection' technology. Unfortunately they are all very expensive and they can't make whole home units.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    SurgeX, Brick Wall and ZeroSurge all make excellent products. They all use the same 'Series Mode Surge Protection' technology. Unfortunately they are all very expensive and they can't make whole home units.
    Why not change your breakers to surge protection breakers? I found what Mike said about the direction from Gryphon with regards to the new amp was telling. They don't want their amp plugged into any magic power boxes. Just plug it straight into the wall. Think about it...
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Brian since you're using an APC HT-15 (which I think is an on-line power re-generator) the power cord to the wall won't make much of a difference. On-line means you are always running off the batteries so the input means little in your case. OTOH if you're using a surge suppressor or power distribution like an Ansuz Mainz the power cord to the wall will make a difference. If you really want to try power cables maybe get in touch with the Cable Company and have them send you a couple of cords to try out. There is a fee but IMO it's worth it for a learning experience without having to buy and sell cables
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    Brian since you're using an APC HT-15 (which I think is an on-line power re-generator) the power cord to the wall won't make much of a difference. On-line means you are always running off the batteries so the input means little in your case. OTOH if you're using a surge suppressor or power distribution like an Ansuz Mainz the power cord to the wall will make a difference. If you really want to try power cables maybe get in touch with the Cable Company and have them send you a couple of cords to try out. There is a fee but IMO it's worth it for a learning experience without having to buy and sell cables
    George, Thanks for the tips and info. I don't think my APC has any batteries. I live close enough to the Cable Company and spent some time there when they first opened and sold other gear. I don't plan to spend a lot, just want to see if the tweak works. I will probably buy something from Audio Advisor with a 30 day trial.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

What did you mean when you said Surgex can't make whole home units? When I shopped for mine, which has been a couple years they did offer the protection that goes in-wall at the breaker box for the entire house. I suppose by comparison my SA-15 as memory serves was in the $300.00 range for two outlets where my Quintet was in the $400's for ten outlets. I do get better results from the Surgex.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Well if the APC doen't have batteries maybe from the wall to the APC should make some difference. After all the APC output feed all the components.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    What did you mean when you said Surgex can't make whole home units?...................
    Do you remember the model number? I can't find whole home units on their web-page?

Well I am able to answer my own question now.

I bought some lower end PCs to try this all out and not really expecting much.
    2- Pangea AC14SEMKIIs for Pre and CDP and 1- PS Audio AC3 for my Amp. The 1M PS was so back ordered, they sent me a 1.5M for the same price.

The 2 Pangeas arrived last week and went right into play via my APC. Results were not as subtle as I expected. Just overall better sound, openness, trueness of instruments...bass and vocals much clearer.

So with those results, I was hoping to add to it when the PS Audio cable arrived. It came yesterday. I put it in play and let the system warm up for an hour.

I played the same tracks as when I added the Pangea cables so I had a good reference. I was stunned. My Counterpoint never had this much grip and detail. I'm stunned at how much of an improvement was made for $238 bucks.

My wife was in the kitchen and asked me if I was playing a different version of Primus - Mr Krinkle.

I plan to swap at least the amp to my dedicated outlet box and also the pre at some point, but I am more than happy to have joined those who helped me finally decide to chase this tweak.

Rebecca Pidgeon was in my living room last night singing The Word Around Town.

I finally have that sound I hear at shows or stores where the music seems to ooze out and is not forced. It almost seems like the music has slowed down so you can hear each note and instrument longer.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

Great news Brian
    George

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

After Market Power Cables thru Power Conditioner/Surge Protection or Direct to Outlet?