Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

MQA already dead in the water? No full decoding DAC alternatives...

Please help me out here, are there realistic DAC alternatives available to try out full decoding? I was looking for one I could buy just to try it out. Unless you go for top dollar it gets thin.

MSB Select - 80K, ok I’ll take two
    MSB Reference - 40K upwards
    DCS Rossini - 24K
    Berkeley Ref 2 - 18K
    Brinkman Nyquist - 18K (terrible measured perf)
    Mark Lewinson 519 - 17K, only announced
    Nothing
    Nothing
    Nothing.
    Lumins 2-10K - unfolding (Wolfson DAC)
    Estoteric N-05 - 8K, only announced (unfolding, since rng chg)
    MSB Analog DAC - 7K decoding
    Aurender A10 - 6K decoding, mainly a NAS
    Krell Vanguard DAC 4.5K, unfolding only announced (ESS9018)
    Mytek Manhattan 2 - 4K decoding
    Oppo UDP-205 - 1.5K decoding
    Bel Canto ACI600 - xK, only announced
    Quad Artery xK, only announced
    Mytek Brooklyn - 2K decoding
    Bluesound, Onkyo, LG, Onkyo, Moon, Sony, NAD, Meridian, Pioneer, Technics, Audiolab, Project, Rotel, Teac, Wadax
    Audioquest dongles, smartphones etc

Not joining in so far Aesthetix, Antelope, Arcam, ARC, Auralic, Aqua, Ayon, Ayre, Benchmark, Bricasti, Bryston, Burmester, Chord, exaSound, Exogal, Hegel, Lampizator, Lector, Luxman, McIntosh, Meitner, Merging, Nagra, Naim, Playback Designs, PS Audio, Pyramix, Rega, Resolution Audio, Schiit, T+A, TotalDAC, Wadia, Weiss - essentially everyone who has had a leg up in the DAC market in the past years except the +20K segment.

Except for MSB top-tier, Mytek and of course Meridian that is the entire Stereophile Recommended Components A+ list missing. Add Brinkmann and it is the entire DAC list. Does that tell something?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: MQA already dead in the water? No full decoding DAC alternatives...

So there are DAC's at every price point. There are ~8000 titles available. There are additional DAC's announced. Whats the issue?

Not everyone makes a DSD DAC either.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    So there are DAC's at every price point. There are ~8000 titles available. There are additional DAC's announced. Whats the issue?

Not everyone makes a DSD DAC either.
    Believe it or not, I am not trying to talk down MQA. It’s the opposite, I want to try full decoding. I kind of like the unfolding level, but to my ears it is marginal and e.g. DSD is still better.

But if fully decoded MQA sounds better, that would be great as there is only a limited amount of DSD material available, but a lots of MQA material on Tidal (have a hifi account).

So, to try the real deal, I do need a fully decoding DAC and most of the announced partners are only unfolding. The problem is the Mytek is not good enough and would hence distort the test and I don’t want to go 18K for the Berkeley Reference 2 just to try it out.

I’m open for suggestions, which are the fully decoding DACs I should try to get my hands on?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Believe it or not, I am not trying to talk down MQA. It’s the opposite, I want to try full decoding. I kind of like the unfolding level, but to my ears it is marginal and e.g. DSD is still better.

But if fully decoded MQA sounds better, that would be great as there is only a limited amount of DSD material available, but a lots of MQA material on Tidal (have a hifi account).

So, to try the real deal, I do need a fully decoding DAC and most of the announced partners are only unfolding. The problem is the Mytek is not good enough and would hence distort the test and I don’t want to go 18K for the Berkeley Reference 2 just to try it out.

I’m open for suggestions, which are the fully decoding DACs I should try to get my hands on?

Unless you are in the market for a new DAC I am not suggesting anyone should run out and purchase a MQA capable DAC. The way I look at , if you are happy with your current hi-rez or DSD DAC then do not go out and seek a MQA solution. If you are like me and have found Tidal's SQ and library to your liking then you can always add a inexpensive MQA solution until it is time to purchase that new MQA capable DAC.

Note: I will be making a separate post regarding Tidal/ Roon SQ soon.
    Jim

Unless you are in the market for a new DAC I am not suggesting anyone should run out and purchase a MQA capable DAC. The way I look at , if you are happy with your current hi-rez or DSD DAC then do not go out and seek a MQA solution. If you are like me and have found Tidal's SQ and library to your liking then you can always add a inexpensive MQA solution until it is time to purchase that new MQA capable DAC.

Note: I will be making a separate post regarding Tidal/ Roon SQ soon.
    I am kinda on the same page: want to try it but not ready yet to replace my current kit for a bit of MQA.

Kuoppis,

The MSB Analog DAC is also fully MQA compliant via the USB port, and soon will be over Ethernet as well.
    Prices start at $7000 in the US.

cheers,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Kuoppis,

The MSB Analog DAC is also fully MQA compliant via the USB port, and soon will be over Ethernet as well.

cheers,
    Alex
    Alex
    Now that is a nice option.
    Jim

Hi! Excuse me but why do you say the Mytek is not good enough?! How much MQA have you actually heard and on which dacs?

Many might disagree. The editors with Stereophile just gave a product of the year award to the Brooklyn.

I’ve owned 3 or 4 dacs that support MQA and find the Mytek to be a solid performer.
    Just my assessment though and I appreciate yours can differ...just on what grounds?

Happy listening...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw that an additional ~350 MQA titles have been identified in the last two days.
    Jim

Kuoppis,

cheers,
    Alex
    Thanks for the info Alex, that’s good news. The Analog DAC is a proper one IMHO.

Do you know whether the MQA capability applies to all Analog DACs or whether you need a certain newer model for it to work?

Thanks for the info Alex, that’s good news. The Analog DAC is a proper one IMHO.

Do you know whether the MQA capability applies to all Analog DACs or whether you need a certain newer model for it to work?
    You need the new MQA-enabled USB module, as can be seen here:

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/adac-pricing/

If you already have an Analog DAC with the USB module, you can upgrade to the new MQA-enabled one. It's very easy, pop the old module out and the new one in.

Otherwise, if you're ordering new, you can specify which module you want, so the MQA-haters don't need to pay the $500 extra

cheers,
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    Hi! Excuse me but why do you say the Mytek is not good enough?! How much MQA have you actually heard and on which dacs?

Many might disagree. The editors with Stereophile just gave a product of the year award to the Brooklyn.

I’ve owned 3 or 4 dacs that support MQA and find the Mytek to be a solid performer.
    Just my assessment though and I appreciate yours can differ...just on what grounds?

Happy listening...

Hi Dolce Vita, intention was not to offend anyone and sorry if I did.

What I am just saying: yes the Mytek is a solid performer, but it is not a top performer like e.g. the Analog DAC IMHO. Some say its sound signature is a tad on the bright side. But if you say it is great, maybe its worth a more thorough listen.

What I don’t want to do is to put a mediocre DAC in my system to evaluate MQA and then underestimate MQA full decode qualities due to the DAC.

You need the new MQA-enabled USB module, as can be seen here:

http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/adac-pricing/

If you already have an Analog DAC with the USB module, you can upgrade to the new MQA-enabled one. It's very easy, pop the old module out and the new one in.

Otherwise, if you're ordering new, you can specify which module you want, so the MQA-haters don't need to pay the $500 extra MQA already dead in the water? No full decoding DAC alternatives...

cheers,
    alex
    This is a great option I need to explore, thanks again. You see, just need to ask your fellow sharks.

Do you know whether it is just the Analog DAC and the top-end or any MSB DAC?

I don’t want to dismiss MQA before hearing full decode in a good system. And if the assessment of others is to be trusted, then I won’t MQA already dead in the water? No full decoding DAC alternatives....

This is a great option I need to explore, thanks again. You see, just need to ask your fellow sharks.

Do you know whether it is just the Analog DAC and the top-end or any MSB DAC?

I don’t want to dismiss MQA before hearing full decode in a good system. And if the assessment of others is to be trusted, then I won’t MQA already dead in the water? No full decoding DAC alternatives....
    All MSB DACs have the optional MQA-enabled USB module now. The Reference and the SELECT actually use the exact same module.

A client just stopped by today to audition the Analog DAC, and it's always a pleasant surprise to go back to it. If you go for it because of MQA, you might just end up with a killer DAC, that'll also do great PCM and DSD!

cheers,
    Alex

All MSB DACs have the optional MQA-enabled USB module now. The Reference and the SELECT actually use the exact same module.

A client just stopped by today to audition the Analog DAC, and it's always a pleasant surprise to go back to it. If you go for it because of MQA, you might just end up with a killer DAC, that'll also do great PCM and DSD!

cheers,
    Alex
    Thanks again Alex, that’s great info. Really appreciated.

Banned

PS Audio direct stream do the full decode? If so they seem to be loved after the latest firmware update and can be slightly more affordable.

Audioshark

What I don’t want to do is to put a mediocre DAC in my system to evaluate MQA and then underestimate MQA full decode qualities due to the DAC.

Bingo!

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I really don't feel you need to have a $10K + dac or streamer to enjoy MQA. Sure a $300 MQA dac is not going to sound as good as a $10k+ MQA dac. but right now there are some nice units out there that support full decoding for MQA very well and sound good to boot. The Lumins, the Aurender A10, PS Audio Directstream and the Directstream Jr for starters all under $10K. I've heard the Brookynn and I had the DAC in my system for months but the Lumin just sounds more musical to my ears ( Brooklyn = to much stuff in one box to suit me)
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Seconding the PS Audio Directstream and Directstream Junior (I have the latter) as a not quite as expensive choice with good sound quality. Both do full MQA decode with the latest firmware, but only via the network interface. Sound quality is plenty good enough for me for the price point. I will say that I don't listen to as much MQA as I might simply because of the "network interface only" thing - My music comes almost exclusively from my Aurender, and its app and Tidal integration are quite a bit better than the PSA solution. As a result, I find myself only listening to full MQA during a "dedicated session". If I'm listening more casually, I'll take the convenience of the Aurender's internal / Tidal integration every time and just accept partial MQA unfolding via Aurender. Other than that, I have no gripes with this DAC.

I also have the Oppo 205, but didn't know it did MQA - is there a very recent software update that enables it? Even so, the performance of its Sabre 9038, though pretty darn good, isn't quite up to the same level as the PSA's FPGA to my ears, so I only ever use it as a transport.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Quote Originally Posted by 2FlyingYorkies View Post
    Seconding the PS Audio Directstream and Directstream Junior (I have the latter) as a not quite as expensive choice with good sound quality. Both do full MQA decode with the latest firmware, but only via the network interface. Sound quality is plenty good enough for me for the price point. I will say that I don't listen to as much MQA as I might simply because of the "network interface only" thing - My music comes almost exclusively from my Aurender, and its app and Tidal integration are quite a bit better than the PSA solution. As a result, I find myself only listening to full MQA during a "dedicated session". If I'm listening more casually, I'll take the convenience of the Aurender's internal / Tidal integration every time and just accept partial MQA unfolding via Aurender. Other than that, I have no gripes with this DAC.

I also have the Oppo 205, but didn't know it did MQA - is there a very recent software update that enables it? Even so, the performance of its Sabre 9038, though pretty darn good, isn't quite up to the same level as the PSA's FPGA to my ears, so I only ever use it as a transport.
    For the OPPO and MQA add is in the early Nov update. Its a beta and the upgrade guidelines are critical so testing is ongoing as in any beta, https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-54-1108B.aspx
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    Hi! Excuse me but why do you say the Mytek is not good enough?!

And they loved the Mytek Manhattan II even more!

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    I really don't feel you need to have a $10K + dac or streamer to enjoy MQA. Sure a $300 MQA dac is not going to sound as good as a $10k+ MQA dac. but right now there are some nice units out there that support full decoding for MQA very well and sound good to boot. The Lumins, the Aurender A10, PS Audio Directstream and the Directstream Jr for starters all under $10K. I've heard the Brookynn and I had the DAC in my system for months but the Lumin just sounds more musical to my ears ( Brooklyn = to much stuff in one box to suit me)
    Do all the Lumins do the full HW decoding or are there differences?

For the OPPO and MQA add is in the early Nov update. Its a beta and the upgrade guidelines are critical so testing is ongoing as in any beta, https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-54-1108B.aspx
    Does the Oppo have a digital out, so I could daisy chain it into the Meitner?

All Lumin's do full except the U1 which is a transport that only does first un-fold. The Oppo has coax, optical and HDMI out.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    All Lumin's do full except the U1 which is a transport that only does first un-fold. The Oppo has coax, optical and HDMI out.
    Thanks Jack, that means I could do full decoding from the Oppo into the Meitner, I guess.

Do I lose anything if the decoded MQA signal from the Oppo is again upsampled into DSD?

Not aware of any MQA solution that allows full processing except through the Analog outputs. So unless the Meitner does MQA then not. You would use the OPPO's analog outputs for full MQA and the digital outs to the Meitner for everything else. Same is true of the Lumin's.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

If the UDP-203 does full MQA decoding, then the Sonica should as well, right?

The 203 is a completely different DAC section and it is unlikely they will submit it for certification. It is a video first product. The Sonica does have the same DAC section, according to Dan Wright, so it should not be hard to transfer the certification and firmware upgrade to the Sonica if they chose to do so.

The 203 is a completely different DAC section and it is unlikely they will submit it for certification. It is a video first product. The Sonica does have the same DAC section, according to Dan Wright, so it should not be hard to transfer the certification and firmware upgrade to the Sonica if they chose to do so.
    Sorry Jack, I meant of course the UDP-205.

Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I hope they decide to go ahead with finishing the certification and release the firmware upgrade for the Sonica, but time will tell. As the reviews show it is a pretty good DAC for even more than the asking price.

Why doesn't Bob Stuart/MQA come out and say, "Hey audiophiles, don't waste your time with something like the $2k Mytek Brooklyn for MQA, the absolute bare minimum to "hear" MQA starts at the $_k soundwaves level."
    Why don't they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Why doesn't Bob Stuart/MQA come out and say, "Hey audiophiles, don't waste your time with something like the $2k Mytek Brooklyn for MQA, the absolute bare minimum to "hear" MQA starts at the $_k soundwaves level."
    Why don't they do that?
    Because you will hear it with that $2k Mytek. Then again just like you will not hear the best PCM with a $2k DAC as you will with a $19k Berkeley.
    Jim

Audioshark

Because you will hear it with that $2k Mytek. Then again just like you will not hear the best PCM with a $2k DAC as you will with a $19k Berkeley.
    Bingo!

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Then again just like you will not hear the best PCM with a $2k DAC as you will with a $19k Berkeley.
    Per your opinion.
    So $19k minimum to "really" hear what MQA can do?

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Per your opinion.
    So $19k minimum to "really" hear what MQA can do?
    I didn't say that.
    Jim

So, with the firmware upgrade, the Oppo will do the full unfold of MQA? I use my 103D to stream Tidal and one of the things I’ve been thinking about is to take a digital out to a Sonica DAC. It even has balanced XLRs to feed my Integrated. Sweet and simple and I like the idea of those pieces being from the same family.

At this point only the 205 will do MQA. They would have to release the Firmware upgrade to the Sonica for it to do it too.

I didn't say that.
    Well I think Kuoppis is looking for something definitive

I see no reason why something like a $2k Mytek couldn't show him what "full unfold" MQA sounds like. IMO

And the new version was just released the end of last month. Can be bought direct from the EU webstore.

At this point only the 205 will do MQA. They would have to release the Firmware upgrade to the Sonica for it to do it too.
    Thanks, I can be patient, for a little while ��

From what I got from OPPO today was that at this time the Sonica DAC uses a much lower powered decoder so they are not sure if MQA can be added to the Sonica DAC.

Chris

I'll asked Dan and will see what he thinks as he has had them both disassembled and on the workbench. Hard to imagine with the cost of the DAC chip and the balanced architecture that they would have used a decoder less capable than the ones used in the Explorer, the new Project DAC and the Dragonfly. All of whom sell for much less than half of the price.

Chris

I'll asked Dan and will see what he thinks as he has had them both disassembled and on the workbench. Hard to imagine with the cost of the DAC chip and the balanced architecture that they would have used a decoder less capable than the ones used in the Explorer, the new Project DAC and the Dragonfly. All of whom sell for much less than half of the price.
    I see it the same way, you would think a DAC using the ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC chip would be capable unless OPPO used a different decoder then the one in the 205. For $799 I would have thought the Sonica would be able to support MQA but hey I don't design dacs.

I suspect they may be stalling to see what level of outcry they get from owners and perspective buyers before committing to the Royalties involved. I'll see what Dan says. Not that big a deal to me as like you I have the Lumin and really haven't found that much on the list that interested me that much and sounded that much if any better. That is why I just bought the 203 to use as a transport and very infrequent video player. Other than the recent firmware upgrade the 203 and the Sonica get me to the same place as the 205 in that system.

From what I got from OPPO today was that at this time the Sonica DAC uses a much lower powered decoder so they are not sure if MQA can be added to the Sonica DAC.
    I think both use the same DAC chip. They probably mean the CPU is much less powerful instead.

The Dragonfly also uses a very low powered CPU so it can only do MQA rendering, not full decoding.

Peter

This is the processor in the Sonica. I don't know it's capabilities for MQA but maybe you do.

Cortex®-M4 ARM Processor
    The Sonica DAC uses an ST-Microelectronics STM32F401 ARM processor (delivers 105 DMIPS/285 CoreMark) to control the unit. This computer serves more as a user control device since most of the real processing is done by the ESS DAC. Nonetheless, the ARM processor has 512 Kbytes of Flash, 96 Kbytes of SRAM, supports floating point math and has many of the common serial ports (USARTs, SPI, I²C, SDIO, and USB) making it an ideal choice for this platform. Firmware can be updated using the phone app.

That's too weak for CPU intensive features.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team