Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avantgarde Uno XD - wow!

I know horn speakers, and AG's, aren't for everyone. Need to write one post on this as I am glowing with audio happiness.

I recently took the plunge. Clearly there is no right or wrong with this stuff, only opinions and observations and certainly paths that are more right or more wrong for our individual preferences. I am so thankful that I took this leap, and found this path. After years of struggling and trying to enjoy my rig, I left very highly rated, traditional "cone and dome" speakers behind. I kept trying to love what I had, but it was work. I was just never completely at ease.

I couldn't be happier now. These Uno XD's, in my opinion, are absolutely amazing. For my tastes -- I love live music, acoustic guitar, rock, jazz, etc. -- I am thrilled. Beyond.

I will be candid. I heard Mike's Duo Mezzo's a couple of years ago and it left a lasting impression. I wanted and needed a change but I didn't want to go AG. No local support for me in Northeast. Plenty of audio "experts" telling me to be careful. Problems with bass, problems with shouty horn coloration, etc etc. Very very few folks outside of Mike seemed to be fans of these speakers that I would talk to in my local journey.

I travelled to Toronto to hear Uno XD at their North American distributor (Angie's / American Sound of Canada). I needed to hear these and cross them off my list. Because I kept coming back to the fact that when I went to Mike's, I heard his incredible Magico M3's with top notch electronics downstairs, and then when I would pop upstairs to hear his AG's, there was zero question which sound was right *for me*. It was immediate and obvious and right. For me. I tried to hear every other speaker I could within a reasonable distance of Boston, where I live. I wanted to find something else. But the life, the energy, the spirit of the Avantgardes... I just couldn't get over it. I heard a couple of other horn speakers, but they just didn't have the same magic that the AG's seemed to have for me.

So now I am only a couple days into having these, matched with sweet 300B amps and my VAC Signature SE preamp. There is no question that there's loads of improvement yet to come... I haven't matched cables, upgraded power cords, swapped in WE 300B NOS tubes for the stock tubes, etc. Heck, the amps have less than 15 hours on them! I guess I just want to say I am so thankful that i took this risk. At many moments I thought about trying to tweak an amp, or a cable, or something else, in my last system... but deep down I knew that was just a band aid. I am so thankful that I finally have that magic I have craved. These speakers -- to ME -- are amazing, and the best possible choice for my space of everything I have heard, regardless of cost. I kept coming across a tradeoff with traditional speakers -- in my experience, I could have tube amps and capture more of that emotion and "magic" that I love. But lose much of the dynamics. I don't have that tradeoff with these Avantgardes. I can have tubes and still have all the dynamics and speed I would ever want.

Those intrigued by AG, give them a listen. I think if matched up properly, they breathe magic... they create music, live music, with all the energy and spirit and emotion and snap and thump of the real thing. Not harsh, not ear piercing. But so alive and so eager to let the music just pour out effortlessly and fill your room with joy.

Thank you, Mike. I should add that my bias was to NOT buy anything from Mike, but from a local dealer to me. It was my preference. But all Mike did was patiently be a resource, with zero pressure. I tried and I tried and I tried to find a different path. But this was the right path... for me. Just so thankful I found it.

Give this new XD generation of AG a try. You might find you like it. I have never been happier. Not even close.

Re: Avantgarde Uno XD - wow!

Justin, will you be keeping them then?

Sharkmouth, my post here was simply to generate a little excitement before I list them on Audiogon in the AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Sharkmouth, my post here was simply to generate a little excitement before I list them on Audiogon in the AM.

LOL.

I'm so happy you're happy. I have to say, you were the most thorough client I've ever encountered. You did your homework and made the decision with full confidence. Way to go man. So happy for you.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Hahahahahahha!

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Justin, will you be keeping them then?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to the AG Club! I have had the pleasure (and the horror) of hearing many, many systems. I've been a grateful owner of the AG Trios for a while now and am still amazed at what I hear. It is absolutely worth the effort to dial them in, with complementary components, cables, and in my not so humble opinion, the correct room treatments - the replication of live music is really rather stunning. And guess who introduced me to Avantguarde - yep, Mike. Thank you sir!!!

Congrats Justin..........awesome speakers! If my living quarters would have accommodated horns the Uno Xd would be what I would have gotten! I love that models looks!
    Mike´s “lofty” system I’m sure has been the ruin of many a poor boy!....I know..plagiarism.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Thanks guys. Listening in the dark as I type and I can only imagine how good these will he in a couple months when I really get them dialed in. I haven't played with the bass adjustment yet!

Justin I totally agree with your statements on Avantgarde! I recently had a similiar epiphany and the Uno XD's are truly amazing. I experienced the Uno's after a friend of Mine was auditioning Magico. It does not take long at all to realize that very little can produce something so killer. The bass produced by AG's is so darn good and when dialed in has a big advantage over what is possible with the normal placement only solutions with most speakers.

Once you enter Mike's room you leave a changed person, so I warn everyone to enter at your own risk!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Thanks for sharing your story Justin, great write-up.

I think you were asking the right questions and decided to take the plunge. Many happy hours with the AGs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Congrats on the AGs Justin!

What color combo did you choose?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Listening to Duke Ellington - Concert from the Virgin Islands with my morning coffee. So rich, so good!

I was about to buy Uno in perhaps a retro cream horn with darker wood side. I got lucky... another of Mike's clients (who may post here) was ready to move up from his very lightly used mint Unos to Duos... I scored! These are classic black horns with dark wood sides. Love the look!

PICTURES, or we dont believe.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Most convincing story in years! And I agree with Norman: pictures please!
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I know horn speakers, and AG's, aren't for everyone. Need to write one post on this as I am glowing with audio happiness.

I recently took the plunge. Clearly there is no right or wrong with this stuff, only opinions and observations and certainly paths that are more right or more wrong for our individual preferences. I am so thankful that I took this leap, and found this path. After years of struggling and trying to enjoy my rig, I left very highly rated, traditional "cone and dome" speakers behind. I kept trying to love what I had, but it was work. I was just never completely at ease.

I couldn't be happier now. These Uno XD's, in my opinion, are absolutely amazing. For my tastes -- I love live music, acoustic guitar, rock, jazz, etc. -- I am thrilled. Beyond.

I will be candid. I heard Mike's Duo Mezzo's a couple of years ago and it left a lasting impression. I wanted and needed a change but I didn't want to go AG. No local support for me in Northeast. Plenty of audio "experts" telling me to be careful. Problems with bass, problems with shouty horn coloration, etc etc. Very very few folks outside of Mike seemed to be fans of these speakers that I would talk to in my local journey.

I travelled to Toronto to hear Uno XD at their North American distributor (Angie's / American Sound of Canada). I needed to hear these and cross them off my list. Because I kept coming back to the fact that when I went to Mike's, I heard his incredible Magico M3's with top notch electronics downstairs, and then when I would pop upstairs to hear his AG's, there was zero question which sound was right *for me*. It was immediate and obvious and right. For me. I tried to hear every other speaker I could within a reasonable distance of Boston, where I live. I wanted to find something else. But the life, the energy, the spirit of the Avantgardes... I just couldn't get over it. I heard a couple of other horn speakers, but they just didn't have the same magic that the AG's seemed to have for me.

So now I am only a couple days into having these, matched with sweet 300B amps and my VAC Signature SE preamp. There is no question that there's loads of improvement yet to come... I haven't matched cables, upgraded power cords, swapped in WE 300B NOS tubes for the stock tubes, etc. Heck, the amps have less than 15 hours on them! I guess I just want to say I am so thankful that i took this risk. At many moments I thought about trying to tweak an amp, or a cable, or something else, in my last system... but deep down I knew that was just a band aid. I am so thankful that I finally have that magic I have craved. These speakers -- to ME -- are amazing, and the best possible choice for my space of everything I have heard, regardless of cost. I kept coming across a tradeoff with traditional speakers -- in my experience, I could have tube amps and capture more of that emotion and "magic" that I love. But lose much of the dynamics. I don't have that tradeoff with these Avantgardes. I can have tubes and still have all the dynamics and speed I would ever want.

Those intrigued by AG, give them a listen. I think if matched up properly, they breathe magic... they create music, live music, with all the energy and spirit and emotion and snap and thump of the real thing. Not harsh, not ear piercing. But so alive and so eager to let the music just pour out effortlessly and fill your room with joy.

Thank you, Mike. I should add that my bias was to NOT buy anything from Mike, but from a local dealer to me. It was my preference. But all Mike did was patiently be a resource, with zero pressure. I tried and I tried and I tried to find a different path. But this was the right path... for me. Just so thankful I found it.

Give this new XD generation of AG a try. You might find you like it. I have never been happier. Not even close.
    Congrats on some amazing speakers and I agree on all fronts . Looking forward to pictures !

The XD presets make dialing in a room a breeze. I used two 10ft USB cables to my MacBook Pro at the listening position. The AG software functions great and you can listen and adjust on the fly. Solved my room issues in 5 minutes.
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

Congrats! Its a happy day to find a speaker that gives you such listening pleasure after a long search. More so when you get a bargain in the process. Avantgarde Uno XD - wow!

I need to eat something. I need to get my boys ready for a soccer game. Weekend stuff to do. But I can't stop listening! Amazing sound to me.

Super Moderator

Love to see how happy you are with the new setup. It was a long process but you absolutely made the right choice. Wait until everything is tweaked and set up properly.

I need to eat something. I need to get my boys ready for a soccer game. Weekend stuff to do. But I can't stop listening! Amazing sound to me.

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
    Congrats on some amazing speakers and I agree on all fronts . Looking forward to pictures !

The XD presets make dialing in a room a breeze. I used two 10ft USB cables to my MacBook Pro at the listening position. The AG software functions great and you can listen and adjust on the fly. Solved my room issues in 5 minutes.
    Apparently I am much less clever, it took me 2-3 hours or so, but I agree the DSP soft is a gem. I have made around 10 different presets , use on daily basis 2-3 of them depending on source ( DAC, CDP, analog)
    Look forward to have the measurement of the room acoustics with the new version based on microphones . It s a costly option but I am very keen to improve the sound even further.
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

Quote Originally Posted by Marslo View Post
    Apparently I am much less clever, it took me 2-3 hours or so, but I agree the DSP soft is a gem. I have made around 10 different presets , use on daily basis 2-3 of them depending on source ( DAC, CDP, analog)
    Look forward to have the measurement of the room acoustics with the new version based on microphones . It s a costly option but I am very keen to improve the sound even further.
    5 minutes for setup. Software setup etc. Listening and adjustments are ongoing but very understandable and easy for the right brainer such as myself.

Please update I’m very interested what improvements your experiencing with the microphone calibration.
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

Audioshark

It's wonderful to see how many people are loving this incredible brand of speakers and are enjoying this dynamic, "live sounds" type of speaker as well.

In North America, exposure to this speaker has been spotty at best the past 12 years or more. The XD series has, what my friend calls, "perfected the horn".

At least here in the U.S., I think I've had a bit of an impact on the growing passion for this wonderful line of speakers. The Duo Mezzo's in my home, the Uno XD's and Zero XD's in the store have all had the same kind of response.

Avantgarde XD's are also a great speaker for those with difficult rooms (like mine at home!). Horns are a control directivity speaker and therefore, the room is of much less importance. The XD tech allows us to dial the bass into any difficult situation.

There are people that will never accept the concept of a horn speaker. They heard Klipsch horns in 1970 and still harbor those biases. And that's ok. But I can assure you, Avantgarde's sound nothing like my Dad's old Klipschhorns!

That being said, I totally understand horns aren't for everyone. They are BIG! They require massive attention to detail and almost always, a change in the system (power, amp, source and almost always, cables).

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Congrats. I also demoed the Unos and my speakers, the zero one at Angies. I'm only a quick trip over the border away, though. You went to extremes! The xd software is great and using some measurements I was able to dial mine in in about 10 minutes. Is there a microphone based measurement system coming? I used the measurements I had from using Dirac
    Digital: Mac Mini running Audirvana, W4S modded Sonos connect
    Analog: VPI Classic with Benz Micro Glider SL
    Speakers: Avantgarde Zero 1 pro
    Cables: nothing special
    Acoustic treatment: Vicoustic panels on reflection points on side, back, and ceiling

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Family progtitioner View Post
    Congrats. I also demoed the Unos and my speakers, the zero one at Angies. I'm only a quick trip over the border away, though. You went to extremes! The xd software is great and using some measurements I was able to dial mine in in about 10 minutes. Is there a microphone based measurement system coming? I used the measurements I had from using Dirac
    It's coming. I hope to have it soon.

We've shown Avantgardes for two consecutive years at the LA/OC show, always amazing.
    But Mike has a point that there's a lot of bias against horns, either because people remember the midrangy horns of old, or because they might've heard an Avantgarde, but badly setup/paired.
    And then there's that slight problem of size...

My listening preferences are probably different than 99% here. I listen mostly to live recordings of improvisational music.

I mention this because I had a close buddy over last night. He has heard past systems and I listen to lots of music with him.

Listening last night, we were transported right there, to the 7th row of a recent concert we saw at MSG. The ambient noise of the crowd, the life of the live experience. It was a whole different experience than listening to these live concerts on my past speakers and, for that matter, the many speakers I have played this material on while demoing. The live experience was captured, so incredibly realistically. At one point I closed my eyes and really felt like I was there, at the venue, the music washing over me. We may or may not have danced our asses off in my basement for a couple of hours.

There is some tweaking to do (I think I want a little less detail than the KS Elation ICs I am trying right now)... but my oh my. Unlimited potential.

The first comment from my friend, after 10 minutes of listening, was that these speakers disappear. Yes, it is a big sound. But you can close your eyes and really believe that there are not 2 heavy speakers in the room. The 2nd comment was that he's never heard the live experience recreated like this.

Since I hate to exaggerate, I will offer my simple opinion: of every audio product I have heard in my time enjoying this hobby, the Uno XD is the most transformative, for me. The most impressive. Why do I say that? Because I don't know another product that so completely opened up a doorway into an entirely different and LIVE experience like this. It may not be everyone, but boy, it is different. It is ALIVE.

I heard the Avante Garde speakers for the first time at RMAF. A bit of a near field setup, but I was thoroughly impressed. I thought they exibited a lot of the same qualities as my Alexias... great PRaT, dynamics, and not to mentioning they’re pretty f’in cool looking! I’m not in market for a change, but AG would be on my short list if I were.

Mike, How close can Duo XD be to the from wall and how far from the side walls do they need to be? I mean
    inches to back of the speaker and inches to the edge of the horn from side wall.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan View Post
    Mike, How close can Duo XD be to the from wall and how far from the side walls do they need to be? I mean
    inches to back of the speaker and inches to the edge of the horn from side wall.
    You want a couple of feet front front wall to back of speaker, 3-4 feet being ideal. This helps create more 3D imaging. But they CAN play very close to the wall because they are controlled directivity and no porting. Sound goes forward, not sideways, forward and back (port) like traditional ported cone and dome speakers or open baffle, omnipolar, planar magnetic speakers, etc.

Listening to Steely Dan - Aja when I should be watching home town Patriots football.

Midnight on Sunday and I am lost, in a dark basement, hearing Keola Beamer pluck his slack key like I've never heard him before.

Justin
    Warms the old heart cockles to see how happy you are with the Uno's. If the shiny ever starts to wear off see if Mike will lend you the Siltechs.
    Parker

Congrats on your speakers.

I think these speakers are very room dependent. There are so many people who love them. But personally I have never heard them perform any good. This year at a show the Trio with bass horn sounded meh. Zero coherency and no bass.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Never heard such with Mikes Trio , far from Meh sounding and btw , the bass integration will be very dependent on what type of amps are driving the Horns and as important as where the pre-amp drive signal is coming from, since the bass is self powered ...

Meh is the last comment i would expect from one hearing a Trio, i would suggest a bad show setup / seating relationship ..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Congrats on your speakers.

I think these speakers are very room dependent. There are so many people who love them. But personally I have never heard them perform any good. This year at a show the Trio with bass horn sounded meh. Zero coherency and no bass.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post

Meh is the last comment i would expect from one hearing a Trio, i would suggest a bad show setup / seating relationship ..

Regards
    Agreed 100%!!!
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Audioshark

Never heard such with Mikes Trio , far from Meh sounding and btw , the bass integration will be very dependent on what type of amps are driving the Horns and as important as where the pre-amp drive signal is coming from, since the bass is self powered ...

Regards
    There's always one in the crowd...

Horns are not room dependent (they're controlled directivity) and Trio bass horns is the most realistic bass I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There's always one in the crowd...

Horns are not room dependent (they're controlled directivity) and Trio bass horns is the most realistic bass I've ever heard.
    I was not alone. Most people thought it sounded meh. The source used was a CEC TL0 and CEC DAC. The amps were XA amp by Avantgarde. There was IMHO no coherency in the sound. But like I said could have been the room. In the room next door the bass horns were booming happily.

See this thread:

Dutch X-fi show
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

My listening preferences are probably different than 99% here. I listen mostly to live recordings of improvisational music.

I mention this because I had a close buddy over last night. He has heard past systems and I listen to lots of music with him.

Listening last night, we were transported right there, to the 7th row of a recent concert we saw at MSG. The ambient noise of the crowd, the life of the live experience. It was a whole different experience than listening to these live concerts on my past speakers and, for that matter, the many speakers I have played this material on while demoing. The live experience was captured, so incredibly realistically. At one point I closed my eyes and really felt like I was there, at the venue, the music washing over me. We may or may not have danced our asses off in my basement for a couple of hours.

There is some tweaking to do (I think I want a little less detail than the KS Elation ICs I am trying right now)... but my oh my. Unlimited potential.

The first comment from my friend, after 10 minutes of listening, was that these speakers disappear. Yes, it is a big sound. But you can close your eyes and really believe that there are not 2 heavy speakers in the room. The 2nd comment was that he's never heard the live experience recreated like this.

Since I hate to exaggerate, I will offer my simple opinion: of every audio product I have heard in my time enjoying this hobby, the Uno XD is the most transformative, for me. The most impressive. Why do I say that? Because I don't know another product that so completely opened up a doorway into an entirely different and LIVE experience like this. It may not be everyone, but boy, it is different. It is ALIVE.

Hi Sir,
    Congratulations on this winning purchase!

Do you mind sharing your playlist of live recordings?
    Thank you

I got confused reading the comments regarding setup. If the speakers are directional, what is the setup challenge? Why is setup not a piece of cake? Just a matter of putting in the right spot to get the bass to integrate?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    I got confused reading the comments regarding setup. If the speakers are directional, what is the setup challenge? Why is setup not a piece of cake? Just a matter of putting in the right spot to get the bass to integrate?
    Yup, pretty much. And how much 3D do you want. Want more? Pull them out from the front wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yup, pretty much. And how much 3D do you want. Want more? Pull them out from the front wall.

I heard Mikes system and it sure didn't sound Meh, its was more like wow, PS the bass was wow and very accurate.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    My Speculation ...

I'm suspecting based on Mordante comments there were Bass resonance issues in the room and in order to tame they may have had to turn the bass amp down and out. Mikes comments are mostly regarding the Horns, not the bass modules which are more affected by the room and location.

In situations like this good sound may only be available from one location , if any .......

Regards

My Speculation ...

In situations like this good sound may only be available from one location , if any .......

Regards
    Almost certainly.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

My Speculation ...

I'm suspecting based on Mordante comments there were Bass resonance issues in the room and in order to tame they may have had to turn the bass amp down and out. Mikes comments are mostly regarding the Horns, not the bass modules which are more affected by the room and location.

Regards
    Could very well be. It also could be my taste. The horns gave me the idea that I was listening to multiple speakers instead of one system.

Avantgarde Uno XD - wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Could very well be. It also could be my taste. The horns gave me the idea that I was listening to multiple speakers instead of one system.
    A friend of mine has an AV Trio set up and when I first heard it I thought he had a center channel. He actually had a bass trap right between the speakers and I thought that the sound was coming from the bass trap! So I definitely question the set up where you heard them.

Regarding the question on my listening song list and my preferences...

Listening now to Kurt Vile - Wakin' on a Pretty Day. One of my favorite albums of last several years. Love Kurt Vile.

I listen to lots and lots of old Grateful Dead shows and Phish shows. Listened late last night to the 3/29/90 released Dead show with Branford Marsalis.

The listening with friend that I referenced was to an 8/4/17 Phish concert we both were at in NYC.

Love some old Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East.

Listen to lots of jazz, especially Miles Davis. Stuff like In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson recordings etc. right up my alley. Love Keith Jarrett. Grant Green. Freddie Hubbard. Stuff with some groove.

Have blown away by how good a couple unplugged MTV albums sound on this. 10,000 maniacs, Clapton, REM.

Was just listening to some Bob Marley with morning coffee. Sounds great.

The most exciting part is that I haven't even remotely started optimizing things. Mike is coming in 10 days to help dial me in. I haven't touched bass setting. I haven't played much with speaker placement. I haven't rolled tubes. I haven't replaced the stock jumper cable or power cords for the subs. I haven't optimized cabling choices around new speakers. Amps aren't broken in. Etc etc etc.

So, quite exciting to me that there's so much room for growth from here.

Audioshark

Justin, try this album. Their rendition of Billie Jean is just awesome.

Will do - thanks Mike

Mike do you know if that song is available on LP ...? I did listened to it off U-Boob before....

Regards

Audioshark

Mike do you know if that song is available on LP ...? I did listened to it off U-Boob before....

Regards
    Yes, the whole album is available on vinyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Avantgarde Uno XD - wow!