Subwoofer Enhances Stereo Listening - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Subwoofer Enhances Stereo Listening

I just added the KEF R-400b subwoofer to my KEF floor standing speakers. It uses the trickle down technology from their Blade series of having two drivers mounted back to back and cancelling cabinet vibration. It is the first time that I feel a sub actually improved both the musicality and low end in my system. Very happy with it so far, and it is still breaking in.
    GEAR Audio Research LS17 SE | PS Audio M700 monos | T+A DAC8 DSD | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery | Oppo BDP-105
    KEF R700, R400b, M500 | Bryston BHA-1 | MrSpeakers Ether | Ayres Pono | Furman Elite 15i
    Cables/Isolators Gingko | Pangea | Richard Gray | Kimber Kable | Wireworld | Audioquest | Wyred 4 Sound | PS Audio

Post Thanks / Like

Subwoofer(s) enhance stereo listening? I sure think so.

As far as crossovers go, I've played with high pass/low pass through speaker level connections with three subs total (crossing at around 55 Hz, high passing my little KEF Q100s there as well). It worked ok.

Right now though I'm getting the best sound I've had all year running my Soundfield Audio Monitor 1s full range and a simple line out connection to a Martin Logan Grotto 10" sealed servo sub, low passed at 65 Hz, the whole system optimized with a DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core processor.

Thanks to their long throw 8" powered woofers (300 watts BASH amps), the SAM 1 speakers play down to about 30 Hz in my room, and the ML sub does maybe a bit lower. I have tight, very full, and most all ARTICULATE bass, thanks to three distributed bass sources, which are then corrected by DSP.

Working for me. Although a cardioid bass solution is a possibility in the future, to further refine the in-room bass response.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you so much for joining.
    Joe

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, BorderPatrol SE Dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LenWhite View Post
    Since I'm using only the subs internal crossover, full bass is still being passed to the front speakers. I expected to hear bass overhang, but to my surprise there's very little to my ear. … this change has made a significant improvement with my stereo listening. Not only am I now hearing tight low level bass with punch, but the soundstage sounds even bigger.
    Right!

Quote Originally Posted by tdimler View Post
    Len,
    I think you have discovered what plenty of folks spend their audio lives without discovering....that most systems benefit from a well integrated sub-woofer. I use a B&W DB1 in my system with Revel Salon2's which are run full range. I know I am supposed to hear all sorts of problems but I simply don't. I turn if off from time to time so I can remember what it sounds like without it.....about 10 seconds is enough!
    Right

Thanks to this topic I made some experiences with my sub. All I can say is everything you said is true. Amazing.
    And, if you have only one sub, there is only one place to put it.
    See and listen down below

Post Thanks / Like

Spock, is that a Martin Logan sub you have?
    Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV ---> DSpeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core ---> TAD Hibachi II monoblocks ---> Soundfield Audio Monitor 1. Subwoofer: Martin Logan Grotto (10' sealed servo design).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is.
    A ML Dynamo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2