Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: MQA question

MQA question

I have not found the answer I have been hoping for so I will ask here.

If I want to listen to MQA streaming do I need to abandon my Playback Designs MPS-5 as a DAC or is there a way to decode the MQA to a digital signal that the MPS-5 can work with.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Audioshark

Re: MQA question

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

Brad, the only way to get full blown MQA is a product that decodes MQA and one that renders MQA (or all in one like the LUMIN A1 or S1).

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Define "listen"?:

I am streaming MQA through my non-MQA DAC just fine, but I am not decoding it to the highest frequency rate that an MQA DAC does; in MQA language it is only unfolding the file once. So sure you can "listen" to MQA streaming as I do, it "works", but it will not be fully decoded to the highest level as it would be with the MQA licensed equipment. Here is the link to the list of licensed equipment from MQA:

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

This thread surely has every link necessary if you want more details on the "unfolding"

MQA Discussion
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

Check out my latest "what are you listening to tonight?" post:
    You can see in my Roon signal path I am listening to a Tidal stream of a 24 bit 96Khz file, but I am only getting it unfolded to a 24 bit 48 kHz file as my DAC is not licensed therefore non-equipped to unfold it fully to 96Khz. Now I am upsampling the file to DSD 256 anyway, so in my case it doesn't matter

Attached Images Attached Images
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Spoken like a true salesman
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Spoken like a true salesman
    MQA question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There is always someone to stir the pot. I'll have to figure out where I might purchase a piece of equipment.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    Define "listen"?:

I am streaming MQA through my non-MQA DAC just fine, but I am not decoding it to the highest frequency rate that an MQA DAC does; in MQA language it is only unfolding the file once. So sure you can "listen" to MQA streaming as I do, it "works", but it will not be fully decoded to the highest level as it would be with the MQA licensed equipment. Here is the link to the list of licensed equipment from MQA:

http://www.mqa.co.uk/customer/our-partners

This thread surely has every link necessary if you want more details on the "unfolding"

MQA Discussion
    My "listening" reference was thinking there was only one way to use the MQA signal.

Have you compared the sound of your upsampled version vs the MQA unfolded version through an approved DAC?

I am in the process of going through your thread. Thanks

I have given up comparing for now as the files are completely different, at least with the tracks I did attempt to compare. It is not like comparing a cd version with a remastered cd, or comparing the remastered cd with a high resolution track from HD tracks. It is like when I compared my Yes fragile album with the DVD audio when it came out. It was a completely different mix, with certain instruments or frequency bands overemphasized which makes direct comparison irrelevant. When comparing whether you like the original stereo version or the surround version better it is not about whether a particular hi hat strike is more resolved/has more decay or a natural metallic sound.

This is many peoples problem with MQA; the secrecy. What exactly are they doing? What file are they actually encoding to MQA? How do we compare it when we don't know which redbook/original master file was used? I suppose we should just compare the best original master hi res file available to the MQA file to see which we prefer, but again is it just comparing the resolution or the engineer's new take on the mix? I haven't done too much research into this.

The whole Roon/Tidal immersion has made me a lazy audiophile. I sit and browse tracks on the laptop and play them without too much critical thought. This has been only about a month for me with this setup. Is this good or bad? I am enjoying music more, and listening less critically. Roon/Tidal and upsampling to DSD makes it smoother compared to the Linn player or computer files through JRiver to the DAC, but also seems to provide less separation and less dynamics than before.

Maybe in time I will feel inclined to give some serious comparisons to the files, but I also have not put in these other opamps in these hypex amps I have, or adjusted the filter modules in my electronic crossover. Maybe over the Xmas break, but for now I am enjoying being lazy...

edit: I never really did answer your question: No I haven't listened to a fully decoded MQA file yet. exaSound says it is in the works for their player/DAC to have this capability in a future update; don't know if this is next month or next year, or maybe they will change their mind if the license fee is too cost prohibitive. ??

How do we compare it when we don't know which redbook/original master file was used?
    http://www.2l.no/hires/

Note: Roon does not decode MQA (yet). Tidal desktop app performs the first unfold - decodes MQA to MQA Core.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    http://www.2l.no/hires/

Note: Roon does not decode MQA (yet). Tidal desktop app performs the first unfold - decodes MQA to MQA Core.
    Ah yes, I did see this link to 2L before; haven't gotten around to it yet.

Had no idea Roon didn't support MQA yet and Tidal only unfolds it once. I now don't know how people are listening to fully decoded MQA; are they downloading everything from Highresaudio?

I now don't know how people are listening to fully decoded MQA; are they downloading everything from Highresaudio?
    Tidal HiFi subscribers get free access to 7600+ MQA albums (with some duplicates).
    To listen to fully decoded MQA, you need a MQA Full Decoder such as Lumin, the $199 Meridian Explorer2, the $99 Dragonfly (use with Tidal desktop app) or various others options you can find from MQA partner web page. Mike also used a Lumin U1 + Berekeley Alpha DAC Reference 2 MQA Renderer setup.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I see what you are saying; Tidal decodes the first fold "for free" and given the appropriate equipment Tidal does fully decode it . I thought others were using Tidal for their MQA. My brain inserted the word "only" in your sentence by accident.

Tidal itself never does more than the first unfold. The second has to come from a "certified" DAC like the Mytek Brooklyn and others or Streamers with built in DACs like the Lumin's or some of the Aurender's, BlueSound and others. So it will come down to if you want to spend anymore and change your gear for that list of available titles.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by brad225 View Post
    My "listening" reference was thinking there was only one way to use the MQA signal.
    Brad, as a member of SAS, you have access to MQA dacs so that you can listen for yourself. Plenty in our little community are willing to share.
    Don't be such a stranger

I have been reading what I can find on MQA and understanding some of it. For now I will sit on the sidelines and see how it comes to fruition in the mainstream.

I will AJ. Just been to busy to even listen to much music in the last few months.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MQA question