Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Auditioning amps

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    Have you auditioned any tube amps? I’m in the process of evaluating an Audio Research VT80SE amp and LS28 preamp. They sound marvelous ......the bass is the best I have heard in my 11x14 room, very defined more so than my Pass INT60. It’s a very different and lovely presentation for my system compared to solid state. Heat output might be the deciding factor for me. Ideally would like to have both....can’t have enough amps huh Joe! Lol
    Larry
    Hi Larry, thank you for the suggestions. I have had a couple of tube amps earlier from Ayon, EAR, Octave and ARC and liked their sound. My three reservations are heat dissipation, need for tube adjustments and regular variations in sound. Of these the third one is the most severe for me. Thus I am focusing on SS amps for now, as they suit my user behavior better.

But there are of course also tube amps of interest, like the GS Series ARC separates or the largest Octave integrated amps. I have also heard VTLs are great. The VT80SE I have not heard yet, but will keep my eyes open at shows. Of course, this side of the pond auditioning US brands is more difficult.

Also, I am currently interested in the impact of head room in amps, i.e. the influence of larger amp power reserves on the sound. This is what I enjoy a lots with the Pass currently. Even if not listening at very high SPL, the power reserves allow for better speed, transient response and enable this sweetness in the Pass top end. The Soulution was also wicked fast due to its 1,000,000 μF capacitance, but I felt it lacked some PRaT and sounded more like a machine than an amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Auditioning amps

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Today I auditioned the Soulution 710 power amp at a hifi dealer’s (711 was not available).

I was looking forward to spend some 2 hrs of alone time with a Soulution apart from the trade shows and in a better acoustic environment. This is as I liked what I heard in Munich and because of the rave reviews.

The good, bad and the ugly:
    - absolutely stunning bass grip
    - superb details
    - exceptional imaging
    - rather dark sound overall
    - no whatsoever harshness in the top end
    - rather neutral, but I don’t mind that

So, any good? Surprisingly no. I felt like this is an amp you admire for what it can do, but not one you fall in love with.
    - no Pass like sweetness in the top end
    - sound is very dry, almost Class D flavor
    - no bloom in the sound
    - no toe tapping on my end

Listened to Malia, Charly Antolini, Joey Baron (with Arthur Blythe, Ron Carter and the wonderful Bill Frisell on guitar). Bill’s guitar sounded mechanical, at home it’s nothing like that. It’s almost like Bill forgot the phrasing when he played in the store. There was no real groove, I felt like doing home chores listening to it. I actually did not enjoy listening to the music and was just constantly thinking about the technically flawless performance. It felt a little bit like listening to a Devialet. The Soulution was doing everything absolutely right that it was doing (perfect measured performance), but it was not doing everything other amps are doing.

The Soulution is of course a technical marvel and a great amp, but it’s just not for me. I guess the speakers might have played a big part in the overall perception, they were some very expensive boutique transducers I was not familiar with. Maybe I need to hear a Soulution in my own system to get a better impression, maybe the 711.

Even if I admire what Soulution has accomplished with their amps, I could never fall in love with them. In fact, they seem to have no evident shortfalls, but imho they are not engaging, the tap factor - for me - is missing. Listening to music for me is a very emotional experience and I can hardly sit still with an engaging system.

If I like a system or a single component, honestly I don’t care much if it is completely neutral or not, I just have to like it’s sound.

It’s just like with a woman ;-)

So Kuoppis, if you like the Boulder just take it and don’t care about the age of the concept or the excellent fame of Soulution.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    Speaker: Gauder Akustik Berlina RC7 Diamond Black Edition DV
    Power-Amp: Grandinote Demone
    Pre-Amp: Grandinote Domino
    Digital: TAD D1000 MkII; Auralic Aries G1 with modified LPS; QNAP HS 251+ (via Wifi)
    Cables: Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse
    Power: Dedicated power line and dedicated grounding; Furutech wall socket; Furman IT Ref 16 IE; HMS Energia SL/OV
    Rack: Bassocontinuo Reference Line Accordeon

Hi Larry, thank you for the suggestions. I have had a couple of tube amps earlier from Ayon, EAR, Octave and ARC and liked their sound. My three reservations are heat dissipation, need for tube adjustments and regular variations in sound. Of these the third one is the most severe for me. Thus I am focusing on SS amps for now, as they suit my user behavior better.

But there are of course also tube amps of interest, like the GS Series ARC separates or the largest Octave integrated amps. I have also heard VTLs are great. The VT80SE I have not heard yet, but will keep my eyes open at shows. Of course, this side of the pond auditioning US brands is more difficult.

Also, I am currently interested in the impact of head room in amps, i.e. the influence of larger amp power reserves on the sound. This is what I enjoy a lots with the Pass currently. Even if not listening at very high SPL, the power reserves allow for better speed, transient response and enable this sweetness in the Pass top end. The Soulution was also wicked fast due to its 1,000,000 μF capacitance, but I felt it lacked some PRaT and sounded more like a machine than an amp.

The beauty of the VT80SE is that it has that auto bias like the Vac IQ amps...and it being a 75Watt amp it will not be as hot as the 150 to 300 watters which would be impossible in my small room. But the con is the lack of headroom the larger amps have. I am considering though mating a tube preamp with something like the Pass you have. Or just get the Diablo himself..............
    For the time being though I want to break in my S3mk2s and let my wallet recover.
    Half the fun of this hobby is agonizing about the next upgrade anyhow.
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    The beauty of the VT80SE is that it has that auto bias like the Vac IQ amps...and it being a 75Watt amp it will not be as hot as the 150 to 300 watters which would be impossible in my small room. But the con is the lack of headroom the larger amps have. I am considering though mating a tube preamp with something like the Pass you have. Or just get the Diablo himself..............
    For the time being though I want to break in my S3mk2s and let my wallet recover.
    Half the fun of this hobby is agonizing about the next upgrade anyhow.
    I think a tube pre with a potent SS power amp is kind of the ideal setup. You get the tube niceness and still have the headroom.

A Pass/ ARC combo might be very nice. I kind of like the ARC SP20 as I am not so much into the handles.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophon View Post
    Even if I admire what Soulution has accomplished with their amps, I could never fall in love with them. In fact, they seem to have no evident shortfalls, but imho they are not engaging, the tap factor - for me - is missing. Listening to music for me is a very emotional experience and I can hardly sit still with an engaging system.

If I like a system or a single component, honestly I don’t care much if it is completely neutral or not, I just have to like it’s sound.

It’s just like with a woman ;-)

So Kuoppis, if you like the Boulder just take it and don’t care about the age of the concept or the excellent fame of Soulution.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    So, indeed not so dissimilar views about Soulution. Music without toe-tapping is noise.

Regarding the Boulder, I am just auditioning it because I can. But in terms of amps I have already made up my mind and bought the Pass X250.8, a wonderful amp. Headroom, airy highs, sweetness, great bass, good grip of the LS.

My choice would have been the 5 series in Soulution, they have the soul if there is indeed one to be found within the Soulution sound. It is indeed my choice of next upgrade to put a tube preamp in front of the 511, because you just gotta have some tubeness somewhere!

Auditioning amps

Interesting thought. I also understand the ‘11 gen is a bit different.

My quandrum with the Soulution was not the sound per se, it was the lack of liveliness in the music (for the lack of a better word).

So, if I bought a X250.8 or a X350.8, what would be the best pre-amps to pair with?

Pass XP-30 or ARC Ref 6. Both great matches.

What's the rest of your system?

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Wait for XP-22 or XP-32

Auditioning amps

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    So, if I bought a X250.8 or a X350.8, what would be the best pre-amps to pair with?
    I think the Ayre KX-R/20 might fit on that list as well. Sharkmouth also just posted very positive comments about the Grandinote Genese.

Personally I am using the Ayre KX-5/20 and am happy with it and I also do like the ARC SP20 as well (latter two in a more moderate price bracket).

Auditioning amps

Having the Boulder 865 running for three days straight the highs have now caught up with the rest of the system, this baby is really good.

I don’t know whether it is the impact of running it in theater mode with the Ayre KX-5/20 as a pre, but the sound is just fantastic. Eva Cassidy/ Nightbird live recording puts you right into the venue.

Might just buy an 8-year old design Auditioning amps. How about that.

Today I am listening to the INT-60 in my summerhouse. With the Boulder sound fresh in memory, I must say while I do like the Boulder for its strong bass, I still prefer the Pass sound signature overall.

While the INT-60 also has great bass, the top end is just much more refined and the soundstaging is just phenomenal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Auditioning amps