Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony 65" OLED

Sony 65" OLED

Stopped in Best Buy today to buy a Terk antenna. Took a peek at the Sony 65" OLED. Stunning! Put me on the list for the 2018 model....
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Re: Sony 65" OLED

Just an FYI for those whom may care. LG makes the display panels for the Sony OLED TVs. Some people prefer Sony's software and other features but they are generally more expensive than an LG.

It's not just software and features which differentiates the Sony OLED sets from LG's which use the same panels, but Sony's video processing expertise which results in what many find to deliver superior picture quality. There's much more to a video display than the panel alone, just as with DACs the use of a particular chip does not entirely determine its ultimate sound quality.

I own the 65" Sony A1E OLED (since May) and another thing I really like is that it's screen is the speakers, yet the sound quality is pretty good including the bass. so it's simple and elegant and no hanging sound bar or stuff to deal with. love the picture. been flawless. not the cheapest. but highly recommended.

my previous 1080p 60" Panasonic (top-of-line 4-5 years ago) had a sound bar I added, and the sound failed. I could not diagnose it so gave it away. never liked that sound bar hanging down. I only use this TV for sports mostly football and the occasional 4k video.

I have a separate dedicated 2 channel room, and a separate 7.1 FP4K HT room in the house.

Mike is right on, the screen speakers are damn good and the woofer box/stand works. No sound bar to deal with.....when the 77" comes down to a reasonable price, I'm in.....

I'm contemplating a TV upgrade and the Sony A1 OLED is on my shortlist. In my case I use a Lumagen Radiance Pro video processor, so I assume that somewhat levels the playing field between the Sony and LG: no need to pay for the better software in the Sony, right? Is there a setting in these displays that bypass internal video processing, because the Lumagen will be doing all that.

The 2018 models have been announced. The AF8 series. No more easel stand. A traditional stand, which makes wall mounting far easier. A lot of additional upgrades also.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Audioshark

Drool...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Drool...

Me to, drool city for a 65" but these 2018's out of the gate are going to be $$$, but its something you will use everyday. last year's models launched at $5,000 and $6,500, (55" & 65")
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Me to, drool city for a 65" but these 2018's out of the gate are going to be $$$, but its something you will use everyday. last year's models launched at $5,000 and $6,500, (55" & 65")
    I’ll wait for the 75 inch to drop in price.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Hot dang
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

DSkip

Same here, though I probably won't be replacing my 940C for quite a while. If I did anything, it would be an 85" or larger to replace my projector.

I've seen the 55" A1E as low as $2300. There will be great pricing on the first generation models, which are excellent..

Quote Originally Posted by DSkip View Post
    Same here, though I probably won't be replacing my 940C for quite a while. If I did anything, it would be an 85" or larger to replace my projector.
    I have the 940C as well. when OLED gets to the same price I bought my 940C, I will consider
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

I have this TV and love it. Yesterday they released Dolby Vision HDR update. Updated fine, but haven't used it yet so I can't comment.

For those of you who want to calibrate the A1E for nothing and simply, I recommend the following site: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...-oled/settings

Yeah, it is not professional, but for my everyday viewing, it is quite amazing, beats out my ISF calibrated Pioneer it replaced.

On another note, I got one of the first of these TVs on April 22, 2017. It was acting a little funny from the time I got it, doing some restarts for no reason. Well in mid December the whole thing broke, kept restarting and when on for a few minutes an obvious line across the top. Sony said, since it was outside their "3 month replacement" they would exchange it for a refurbished TV. I called Best Buy where I bought, but had no Geek Squad contract but the Geek Squad guy actually arranged for a new replacement which I got end of December. First, kudos to their customer service. Second I can tell you the screen on this panel is brighter than the last one. I can't swear to it as I have no personal knowledge and it may be that my first one was just a lemon, but the second one is a better screen. Really happy with it, except for the stand. It would have been nicer, IMHO, if the angle was adjustable.

2018 models are out and getting great reviews....

Audioshark

I’m waiting for the 75/77 inch to come way down in price. Then I’ll jump on a new one.

The 2018 LG C8 77" retails for 9K. A great starting point for a 77" OLED!

Received my A8F. Spectacular. Worth the extra $$$.

Audioshark

Sony 65" OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Congrats! Jealous!!!

One day...

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Good timing ...

~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

I might be buying the Sony 65" OLED, or the 55". The 65" will be a tight fit, but go big or go home. Since I bought another Oppo 203 last weekend, I need a TV for it.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Honestly, after a few T.V's I realize after tuning in your T'V following a professional website and their calibrated profiles all these T'V's look exactly the same. Not bright, a little dark and same colors. Every one of my t/v ended up looking exactly the same after calibration.

Wish it came in a bigger size.....

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    Jim.......Congratulations on your new Sony series A8F television. In my opinion, that is the OLED to own. Happy viewing.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Isn't the A1E good too?

While googling the 2018 Sony OLED I found a site that said the A8F is the same as the A1F. Just the stand had been changed, and the electronics and screen were the same in both models. It said there were two ways to look at this. One, the set is so good it did not need any upgrades. Two, the manufacturer is just being lazy.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Mike.......Although the A1E and A8F models feature the same OLED screen, processor and software, there are differences. When stand mounted the A1E series screen is not vertical, rather it is angled back. It is also thicker that the A8F, so when wall hung the A1E series is 107mm in depth versus the A8F's 76mm depth. According to what I have read on several other sites, the A8F series will only be available in 55" and 65", whereas the A1 series is available with a 77" screen. There are also differences in the woofers. The Sony A1E has a single 80mm woofer, while the A8F and two 60mm woofers. Also, the smart TV system on the A8F is Android 7.0 Nougat, while the A1E uses Android 6.0 Marshmellow. That is all the differences I have been able to uncover.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Thanks Dan. That's very interesting. What's your thoughts on the Z9D 75 inch?

Thanks Dan. That's very interesting. What's your thoughts on the Z9D 75 inch?
    Mike, are you a 3D fan? For me personally that's the biggest difference. The Z9D is another top choice.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a1e-oled

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Mike, are you a 3D fan? For me personally that's the biggest difference.
    The Z9D is another top choice.
    No, not at all.

Mike.......I have not viewed a Sony Z9D 75" television, but everything I have read about it says it is one of the best LED LCD TV's on the market. It uses Sony's 4K HRD X1 Extreme processor, as well as their Backlight Master Drive, said to produce unprecedented dynamic range with incredibly deep black levels. The ZD9 series has Sony's ultra dense LED structure featuring local dimming that aids in the amazing contrast between light and dark. Each LED is discretely controlled which helps create an extremely accurate picture.

A couple of reoccurring comments I've read say that the ZD9 series suffers slightly from issues with motion, although Sony's True Cinema motion setting dramatically improves this issue, and picture quality deteriorates when viewed at angles exceeding 35 degrees or so. This is not unusual for LCD screens. The importance of these issues would have to be determined by you as to their impact on your viewing requirements, but most likely minimal.

Perhaps someone with a Sony ZD9 series televisions can chime in. The ZD9 series televisions are getting rave reviews.
    Dan

No, not at all.
    Then we don't have anything to talk about.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Then we don't have anything to talk about.
    LOL.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Mike.......I have not viewed a Sony Z9D 75" television, but everything I have read about it says it is one of the best LED LCD TV's on the market. It uses Sony's 4K HRD X1 Extreme processor, as well as their Backlight Master Drive, said to produce unprecedented dynamic range with incredibly deep black levels. The ZD9 series has Sony's ultra dense LED structure featuring local dimming that aids in the amazing contrast between light and dark. Each LED is discretely controlled which helps create an extremely accurate picture.

A couple of reoccurring comments I've read say that the ZD9 series suffers slightly from issues with motion, although Sony's True Cinema motion setting dramatically improves this issue, and picture quality deteriorates when viewed at angles exceeding 35 degrees or so. This is not unusual for LCD screens. The importance of these issues would have to be determined by you as to their impact on your viewing requirements, but most likely minimal.

Perhaps someone with a Sony ZD9 series televisions can chime in. The ZD9 series is getting rave reviews.
    The motion blurring would drive me nuts. I pretty much only watch hockey.

Then your choice is easy:

Sports: 8.7
    Excellent for sports fans. Motion handling is excellent due to the instantaneous response time and ability to flicker the image to clear up motion. Dirty screen effect is also not an issue, as the screen is very uniform. Picture quality is also excellent, and remains accurate when viewed at an angle which is great for large numbers of people to watch an important game.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8

The Sony A1E is Sony's premium OLED TV from 2017. They both have very similar features, and both offer excellent picture quality. The C8 is noticeably brighter, but the C8 and A1E offer very similar performance. The C8 has much better input lag and better smart features. For the same price, the C8 is the better buy.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Then your choice is easy:

Sports: 8.7
    Excellent for sports fans. Motion handling is excellent due to the instantaneous response time and ability to flicker the image to clear up motion. Dirty screen effect is also not an issue, as the screen is very uniform. Picture quality is also excellent, and remains accurate when viewed at an angle which is great for large numbers of people to watch an important game.

Sony 65" OLED https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8
    Thanks Bob. I like!

Mike, I've never owned all those TVs in the same room ... that would require a huge dealer room, which I am not. Rtings is a good resourceful site in helping people like us to make the right choice.

You're a hockey fan, and if I was (I used to be, big time), I would buy the new LG OLED, 8 Series, 77" because you like the big size, and me too.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Audioshark

Sony 65" OLED

Mike, I've never owned all those TVs in the same room ... that would require a huge dealer room, which I am not. Rtings is a good resourceful site in helping people like us to make the right choice.

You're a hockey fan, and if I was (I used to be, big time), I would buy the new LG OLED, 8 Series, 77" because you like the big size, and me too.
    I agree. It’s definitely gone to the top of the list. Thanks!

I have never seen motion blurring on my Z9D, but I only use it for HT movies. I have never used it as a TV.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

That's very interesting. What's your thoughts on the Z9D 75 inch?
    Unless one fears OLED screen burn in (I do) for uses of game console, relatively static screen or computer monitor, or want really bright HDR playback, generally OLED is better for picture quality.

2016 Z9D is the top LCD one can purchase now. Panasonic used to have a 2016 DX900 that was comparable, but it was discontinued. Both Sony and Panasonic are gradually downgrading their LCD offerings. Sony stopped making a new flagship grade LCD follow-up to Z9D since 2017, and stopped developing the follow-up to X93/94 product since 2018 (while improving the X900F).

I just came back from town...some shaving cream and avocados.
    And I also stopped by a video store; I was looking @ the LG OLED C8 (65") and had a good chat with four employees! Yes four because they know me and the store was pretty much empty @ that time. We chat for a good thirty minutes, while looking @ it.
    We all agree that it was the best TV they have in the store right now.

Then just as I was leaving the store manager came to me to tell me that he just received confirmation that tomorrow they will receive the new Sony AF8, 65". But the price is around $900 more.
    The LG C8 is the better deal, and she is gorgeous, the picture is to die for, and she is much thinner than my cell phone, totally amazing! What a beauty!

I would be real happy with it, or the 77" one, for @ least the next two years.
    I'm just kidding; for @ least two hundred years.

If only we were immortal ...

Seriously, the LG OLED C8 is fabulous.
    The only thing, and it's very personal; no 3D capability.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Thanks Dan. Appreciated. Watching it as I type. Bob, The TV I replaced was a Sony KDLXBR8 or something. It was expensive back in the day, but I had it for well over 10 years before it finally died. I think Sony quality is worth the extra money especially amortized over 10+ years.

Pent-D, I will visit back that same video store to see in person the Sony AF8.
    I have no bias when it comes to life's pleasures, none. LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, ...
    I go with my eyes and brain, with the flow. It is impossible to know everything and how long it'll last.

I'm sure glad that a site like Rtings exist. That helps expanding the universe/knowledge of 4K OLED TVs. ...LED, MicroLED, QLED too.
    They do extensive testing and measurements, and they tell you straight about the best value.
    We use the tools we have, the best info, it's the best we can do.
    Both the Sony and LG OLED TV are rated the very best; you cannot ask better from either one. It's a winning formula A1.

You take everything under consideration, for your personal usage, small details that might tick you in one direction or another and it is perfectly legit...way of speech. Everything is important in life, and in death.

I'm looking forward to examine closer the AF8. ...Visually, material content playing wise, design wise, price difference wise with LG, features wise, ...everything wise. ...Sound wise too because many people use the TV speakers; not everyone is plugged in into a full blown home theater sound system...pre/pro or receiver with Atmos and thirteen speakers with four subwoofers. For that a 4K/3D front projector, say from JVC, or Sony, with an Oppo 203 or Panasonic upcoming 4K/3D Blu-ray players, or from Sony, has that higher touch of bigger sound immersion and picture's size experience.

Or, it's perfectly legit to have the full enchilada from a flat panel...100", 96", 84", 77", 75", 65".
    Some people get away with smaller sizes and full blown sound from nearfield.

I supremely recommend Blade Runner 2049. ...On 4K or on 1080p Blu-ray.
    The picture and sound is a higher experience for the senses, really.

It's going to be a great weekend.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Sounds great Bob, I think you'll like it, The reviews I've read were quite good. The only shortcoming I've found is, the sound is a bit weak. I was considering a sound bar, but with the borderless screen, it seems to be a no go. Maybe a sound deck. I'm running the audio onto my T+A gear with a TOSLINK cable. It's quite good. My room isn't deep enough for surround sound. Best, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Unless one fears OLED screen burn in (I do) for uses of game console,
    Why would games give a burn in? The ones I remember were always changing the background. I am now bouncing between LED and OLED, and games are one reason why I want a new, bigger TV.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Some (not all) games may have a part of the image being relatively static, e.g. in fighting games there may be a health status bar at the top, in racing games it could be a RPM meter, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Some (not all) games may have a part of the image being relatively static, e.g. in fighting games there may be a health status bar at the top, in racing games it could be a RPM meter, etc.
    Got it. Thanks. I guess I will go with LED for my general purpose and game TV.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Just received an email from a friend who bought an OLED last year. I asked him about his TV, and he said.

“The only issue we had is burn in, which I did not expect. It came from watching the same news channel daily, the station logo burned in, even thought I have the set to move the pixels every so often.”

That would drive me postal. LED it is for the upgrade.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Please tell your friend to try the LG "Clear Panel Noise" or Sony "Panel Refresh" function.

Outside of specific use cases I listed above, I believe OLED burn-in is not generally an issue for people who watch normal video content.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Sony 65" OLED