What specs make a speaker full range? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What specs make a speaker full range?

This shouldn't be a "loaded" question and it would appear to have but a single answer. Alas, we are dealing with audiophiles who can never really agree on anything. I think that Mike gave you the textbook answer in his response and some others chipped in some qualifiers which have obvious merit. If you were slightly confused before you asked your original question, you are likely to be really confused by the time this thread runs its course.
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

2. Likes rrwmd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    This shouldn't be a "loaded" question and it would appear to have but a single answer. Alas, we are dealing with audiophiles who can never really agree on anything. I think that Mike gave you the textbook answer in his response and some others chipped in some qualifiers which have obvious merit. If you were slightly confused before you asked your original question, you are likely to be really confused by the time this thread runs its course.
    There's the ideal transducer, then there's what can be made today - and the inevitable compromises imposed by materials used.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike’s answer is consistent with the research I did when I was looking at speakers, altogether can't recall whether 20khz is actually audible. As I understood the question, it wasn’t about quality of sound, rather it was about whether the speaker produces sound that can be heard across the audible spectrum. I ended up going for speakers with a low frequency point of 24hz, which apparently is audible (but only just). I am a bass-head and so the big question for me now is whether to get sub woofers to take the low frequency point beyond audible hearing and into the realm of ‘feel’ (putting aside other possible advantages of sub woofers, such as relieving stress on the mid-bass range etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for posting this , i have often wondered what it meant
    modwright 36.5dm . msb s200 . Marantz sa8005, bel canto 3.5 vbs , bel canto fm1 tuner . proac 125 speakers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
    My definition includes faithful rendering of natural singing voices. That's 100 hz to 5kz.

Most convincing applications of this type need a subwoofer and "helper" tweeter.

See Bastanis
    If you are not fullrange into the bass area , you will not get the voices correct or anything else IMO, the low bass regions helps to reinforce for proper timbre across the ( 40hz at the very least) range on everything, , same for the highs, added extension will have to be good pass 5Khz , figure to at least 14Khz. Extra wide bandwidth above 20khz means light mass and good BL, this extra "speed" may or may not translate into better more realistic sound..

regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    25-40Khz is hear-able ?
    Easy to answer , run a 25hz sine wave thru your system and tell us what you think .....

8. Likes anji12305 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you consider full-range bass? And is it just a particular low frequency point or something more? For example, is 24hz low enough to qualify?

Post Thanks / Like

A -3db @28hz in room is good enough for very good bass fundamentals, speaker/cabinet size , sensitivity and xMax will help to define THD so no two speakers with a -3db @28 hz will sound the same, my previous example of one 18" woofer vs 3 (8") woofers for eg ..

An anechoic response of 32 hz -22K +/- 3db would be a solid FR performer , again speaker design and application applies , a mid size 3 way speaker vs a large 4 way will sound fundamentally different with the same response ....

You have to take audio specs as a full package , no one criteria makes one better than the other ..

regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2