Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

ROON using a NUC

Are any of you currently running Roon on a NUC? If so what has been your experience? Any issues with set-up or stability?

About a week ago I was discussing what at that time was my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. I have a USB storage device for CD's and hi-rez files which is also connected to that network and is monitored for changes by Roon. Tidal is accessed thru Roon for both CD quality and MQA titles. Then endpoint was my Meridian 808v6 connected via ethernet to the network. Everything was running very smooth. No drop-outs that others seem to experience. The only time it might hang up is when it is performing a rescan of my files.

The individual indicated that I would get better SQ if my core was hardwired to my network. I explained that there was no way I was wiring my laptop to the network so he suggested I add a NUC to perform the core duties connected via ethernet. Doing a bit of research to looks as if I would also have to add a network switch so I would have sufficient ports. From what I am reading I would have to purchase a keyboard and possibly a mouse to complete the NUC set-up. Haven't had either one of those in the house in 10 years.

Last week I sold my Meridian 808v6 and picked up a dCS Rossini. Now I am impatiently waiting for the final version of MQA for the Rossini, supposedly and day now. I am hoping that their final version runs thru Roon and not just their ap.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Re: ROON using a NUC

Yes I've been using one for a number of months now. Excellent and very easy to setup.
    Wilson Audio | Dan D'Agostino | Esoteric

I just had my Rossini delivered and setup about 10 days back, and my dealer strongly urged me to get a NUC for the ROCK. Easy to buy parts and setup but having a keyboard and monitor likely needed for setup only. After that no need. I could have done it but my dealer did it for me as a courtesy. He mentioned doing it for several clients as his listening showed letting the ROCK do upsampling sounded better with the Rossini. I had not previously used Roon, so I can't speak to wired vs not wired performance, but the ROCK in the closet controlled via my iPad works great, the ROCK connected to the same switch as the Rossini.

I have a 500Gb SSD in the ROCK for music storage, and my NAS has the balance of digital my library. The NAS is in another part of the house, so a couple switches away. All works like a charm, and much better than my prior jRiver / USB Dac configuration.

Audioshark

I will be selling the Roon Nucleus. That's what I would get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

The release seems to be running behind Roon's projected "summer" release date.
    Jim

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    The release seems to be running behind Roon's projected "summer" release date.
    They are saying "any day now."

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Innuos Zen or Roon Nucleus (when released) fits the bill
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

They are saying "any day now."

Ha, Ha. That's what I have been hearing from dCS on their "final" MQA update.
    Jim

....my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. ... .
    I too am researching the best way to set up Roon in my system. There are plenty of options where/what to run Roon on, and you wouldn't think synergy has its place regarding computers and their setup in peoples systems but turns out it does: Contrary to most others Roon Core was not good on my MBP and was better running on my network player: Here is my recent thread:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sou...sound-pp/31593
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    I too am researching the best way to set up Roon in my system. There are plenty of options where/what to run Roon on, and you wouldn't think synergy has its place regarding computers and their setup in peoples systems but turns out it does: Contrary to most others Roon Core was not good on my MBP and was better running on my network player: Here is my recent thread:

I browsed that thread. Some good insight.

I won't be worrying about DSP and my MacBook Pro is current an does have 16mb of RAM. With the suggestions of several individuals I have narrowed it down to either a NUC or wait for Roon's soon to be available (?) Nucleus.
    Jim

There are good alternatives to a NUC or a Roon Nucleus (which at the end of the day, IS a NUC). I like the Innuos products, as they have a USB port as well as isolated Ethernet ports, so you can plug your DAC directly to it, not requiring a hub/router.

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    There are good alternatives to a NUC or a Roon Nucleus (which at the end of the day, IS a NUC). I like the Innuos products, as they have a USB port as well as isolated Ethernet ports, so you can plug your DAC directly to it, not requiring a hub/router.
    I prefer to stick with ethernet when possible.
    Jim

Jim, have you looked at the SOtM ultra https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/en.../sms-200ultra/

I think they have priced themselves out of the market at $3500 for what it does.
    Jim

Contrary to most others Roon Core was not good on my MBP and was better running on my network player: Here is my recent thread:

If I understand your thread correctly, this may imply the RFI from the WiFi when you use MacBook Pro is more damaging to SQ than having Roon Core increases the load on your network player. If my theory is correct, if you change your whole audio setup to become wired (and turn off all WiFi if possible), having Roon Core on your MBP should be better than on the network player, as everyone else says.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks for the suggestion Peter. I will make some cat6 in appropriate lengths and give it a go this weekend.
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

Are any of you currently running Roon on a NUC? If so what has been your experience? Any issues with set-up or stability?

About a week ago I was discussing what at that time was my set-up. Roon Core running on my MacBook Pro connected wirelessly to my network. I have a USB storage device for CD's and hi-rez files which is also connected to that network and is monitored for changes by Roon. Tidal is accessed thru Roon for both CD quality and MQA titles. Then endpoint was my Meridian 808v6 connected via ethernet to the network. Everything was running very smooth. No drop-outs that others seem to experience. The only time it might hang up is when it is performing a rescan of my files.

The individual indicated that I would get better SQ if my core was hardwired to my network. I explained that there was no way I was wiring my laptop to the network so he suggested I add a NUC to perform the core duties connected via ethernet. Doing a bit of research to looks as if I would also have to add a network switch so I would have sufficient ports. From what I am reading I would have to purchase a keyboard and possibly a mouse to complete the NUC set-up. Haven't had either one of those in the house in 10 years.

Last week I sold my Meridian 808v6 and picked up a dCS Rossini. Now I am impatiently waiting for the final version of MQA for the Rossini, supposedly and day now. I am hoping that their final version runs thru Roon and not just their ap.
    Congrats on your dCS Rossini !!
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    If I understand your thread correctly, this may imply the RFI from the WiFi when you use MacBook Pro is more damaging to SQ than having Roon Core increases the load on your network player. If my theory is correct, if you change your whole audio setup to become wired (and turn off all WiFi if possible), having Roon Core on your MBP should be better than on the network player, as everyone else says.
    Well I'll be... it did make a difference. Plenty of grunge seems to be removed. I have gone back and forth several times and it is very close between DSD 128 on the MacBook and the Playpoint doing DSD 64; too close to call yet. Earlier I thought the MacBook sounded a tad more digital still; that is why I gave it another advantage by going up to DSD128, but now I am not sure...

It is rather baffling as there is wireless everywhere; even using a Roon remote in the form of a tablet or iPhone in the audio room will present some additional RFI, and I thought all the equipment and cabling was shielded sufficiently, but apparently not. Having the network player so close to the DAC would the main enemy I suppose? the magnitude of that wireless signal is just to close to the rest of the equipment? Now I am wondering about wallpapering the room with copper foil...

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Congrats on your dCS Rossini !!
    Thanks!! The SQ is very good and I am enjoying trying the various filters and DXD and DSD upsampling. The ability to perform this from the app makes it so easy.
    Jim

I won't be worrying about DSP ....
    Thanks!! The SQ is very good and I am enjoying trying the various filters and DXD and DSD upsampling. The ability to perform this from the app makes it so easy.
    Well that was a quick turn around

Well that was a quick turn around
    I am still considering options for moving my Roon Core from my laptop to a hard wired device. Currently I would list the contenders in this order. 1)Roon Nucleus 2) Salk Streamplayer III, 3) sonictransporter i5 4) NUC. Reading up on others.
    Jim

I am still considering options for moving my Roon Core from my laptop to a hard wired device. Currently I would list the contenders in this order. 1)Roon Nucleus 2) Salk Streamplayer III, 3) sonictransporter i5 4) NUC. Reading up on others.
    Interesting thread. I've clicked a few of the links above.

Why not run Roon core on your NAS? I have Roon on my Synology DS716+II. I upgraded the ram (voids Synology warranty) from 2 gb to 8gb. Roon just sings performance wise. Is Roon Nucleus on Roon on a NUC supposed to be better sound wise? I don't have a big enough digital soft copy library to worry about Roon speed...I am keenly sensitive to it's sound. Only recently has Roon and dCS started to sound equivalent/better than my NAS with Minim Server controlled by the dCS app.

PS, not arguing the Roon UI, it's incredible
    PS2, is your Rossini a player or DAC only? Just curious...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Why not run Roon core on your NAS? I have Roon on my Synology DS716+II. I upgraded the ram (voids Synology warranty) from 2 gb to 8gb. Roon just sings performance wise. Is Roon Nucleus on Roon on a NUC supposed to be better sound wise? I don't have a big enough digital soft copy library to worry about Roon speed...I am keenly sensitive to it's sound. Only recently has Roon and dCS started to sound equivalent/better than my NAS with Minim Server controlled by the dCS app.

You don’t experience any lags or loading? I had mine running on an older MacBook for a while and I got occasional buffering on DSD. Roon is awesome, but the Aurender software does quite a bit of the same thing. I don’t miss the hassle of another part of the system to tweak and fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Don't have a NAS.

I purchased the player just is case I wanted to play a disc. Probably never will.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    You don’t experience any lags or loading? I had mine running on an older MacBook for a while and I got occasional buffering on DSD.
    You need to put the Roon database (not music) on SSD.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Why not run Roon core on your NAS?
    That will work, and we use such a configuration for exhibition. However, people who need better response time, have a larger library, or use DSP features are much better off using i7 with SSD.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Running Roon on a NAS isn't great..too much noise. A i7 Sonictransporter looks real good, especially compared to the upcoming i7 Nucleus (based on pricing)

Not sure if Nucleus will have ethernet pass thru which I think will be a plus.

BTW, the Rossini, which is a significant improvement over the Meridian u were using pales in comparison to Vivaldi......

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Running Roon on a NAS isn't great..too much noise. A i7 Sonictransporter looks real good, especially compared to the upcoming i7 Nucleus (based on pricing)

Not sure if Nucleus will have ethernet pass thru which I think will be a plus.

BTW, the Rossini, which is a significant improvement over the Meridian u were using pales in comparison to Vivaldi......
    I don't disagree but when you add the price of the required bridge to the DAC it gets a bit pricey. That doesn't consider the other niceties such as clock, upsampler or transport.
    Jim

Borrow the Rossini clock from ur dealer....

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    Borrow the Rossini clock from ur dealer....
    Once I get very familiar with the unit and get it updated with the final MQA release I will borrow a clock. My dealer says he has one with my name on it.
    Jim

Hi Mike,
    Do you know how does one rip cd to a Nucleus? My macs don’t have cd drives!
    thabks
    paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Do you know how does one rip cd to a Nucleus? My macs don’t have cd drives!
    thabks
    paul
    If it has internal storage, you could use a USB CD drive. $20-50 at BestBuy/Amazon.

If it has internal storage, you could use a USB CD drive. $20-50 at BestBuy/Amazon.

thank you for your mega quick reply. That’s what I was fearing. It’s the reason I end up disliking digital/computer files and stick to cd and vinyl. Too much hardware and not a clean clear minimal,solution...
    at my business I have a Weiss Man301 server that rips cds in flac direct;y to my NAS. At home I have a Laufer ‘the memory player’ (latest version) that has done away with the cd rom drive. It’s a pain.
    i was thinking perhaps that buying a Sonictransporter 8tb and connecting via Ethernet to my Soulution 560 DAC would be the way to go. The soulution accepts DLNA
    the 8TB has an onboard cd reader and 8TB of space plus carries roon ..

I’m lost as I would like a SIMPLE one box easy to use solution
    yourcadvice and help are great;y needed

I hear you , always appear to be about the newest software/dac/cables of the month and last month setup is crap circular discussions .

ROON using a NUC

thank you for your mega quick reply. That’s what I was fearing. It’s the reason I end up disliking digital/computer files and stick to cd and vinyl. Too much hardware and not a clean clear minimal,solution...
    at my business I have a Weiss Man301 server that rips cds in flac direct;y to my NAS. At home I have a Laufer ‘the memory player’ (latest version) that has done away with the cd rom drive. It’s a pain.
    i was thinking perhaps that buying a Sonictransporter 8tb and connecting via Ethernet to my Soulution 560 DAC would be the way to go. The soulution accepts DLNA

There is an all-in-one unit from a brand called SilenZio.

I have not seen or heard it but have read lots of good things about it, including customer service.

Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Sonictransporter does offer a one box solution called the AP8 withe a 8TB drive and built in cd drive for loading your files. I have no idea how good it is.

When I need to burn a disc to one of my servers I just plug in my USB drive to my MacBook Pro and move it over from there. It was Very simple.
    Jim

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

ROON using a NUC