Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Boenicke W5 SE

Boenicke W5 SE

After hearing these little fellas at an audio show yesterday, I want to explore them a bit more. Color me impressed.

http://www.avhub.com.au/product-revi...ew-test-452183

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Boenicke W5 SE

These were the clear winners at the WHT show in Bonn/ Germany yesterday: huge soundstage, solid bass, musical midrange and nice detailed, but not to the least extent sharp highs. I was so impressed, that I asked if they could play the small ones as well.

You can probably imagine my facial expression when they told me that it was actually the small Boenicke W5 SE that were playing. I kid you not.

Based on a first audition at show conditions these clearly do better my Harbeth 3PSR I have been looking to replace. This is the hot candidate now, blowing away both Dyn Special Forty and TAD ME1 by not a small margin. Home audition forthcoming.

Don’t be fooled by the diminutive size, they’re really good. Easily outplaying e.g. the Trenner & Friedl ART due to a more balanced sound.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Boenicke W5 SE

There are actually three versions of the W5: The standard and the SE (the latter is about a grand more) and an SE+. Have still to quiz the dealer a bit for the difference between the two.

They are small in size, but offer a big sound and will demand a punchy amp to elicitate the great sound - sensitivity 83-86 db depending on frequency range.

This is going to be my color:

Here are the differences between the versions (I heard the W5 SE):

Standard Version
    - 5.25″ long throw bass driver, tuned to 65 Hz, 1st order crossover
    - 3″ widebander, 1st order high pass filter, unique electromechanical parallel resonator installed.
    - Internal wiring orientation-optimised silk-wrapped high-frequency stranded litz
    - WBT NextGen binding posts
    - Rear ambient tweeter

SE Version
    - longer stroke bass driver running without crossover, tuned to 50 hz
    - Added electromechanical parallel resonator to bass
    - Different crossover layout, added Duelund Silver Foil 0.01 uF bypass capacitor

SE+ Version
    - Added electromechanical series resonators to both drivers, all parallel and series resonators of STAGE II type
    - Added proprietary acoustic phase linearisation network

the W5 was on my radar last year when i was looking for a compact monitor for another system. the dealer network is basically non-existent in the US save for Audio Prana. Fred quoted me 4450 for the standard W5 w/ stands and 6500 for the SE model. not exactly chump change for a tiny speaker that could easily be mistaken for desktop computer speakers.

My zeal for them has subsided, but I still want to hear them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftuo2DGTLaI

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    the W5 was on my radar last year when i was looking for a compact monitor for another system. the dealer network is basically non-existent in the US save for Audio Prana. Fred quoted me 4450 for the standard W5 w/ stands and 6500 for the SE model. not exactly chump change for a tiny speaker that could easily be mistaken for desktop computer speakers.

My zeal for them has subsided, but I still want to hear them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftuo2DGTLaI
    So Rob, what did you end up with instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post

Reference 3a De Capo i...but they don't get played much.

There are actually three versions of the W5: The standard and the SE (the latter is about a grand more) and an SE+. Have still to quiz the dealer a bit for the difference between the two.

They are small in size, but offer a big sound and will demand a punchy amp to elicitate the great sound - sensitivity 83-86 db depending on frequency range.

This is going to be my color:

Nice!
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Hi Kuopis, did you get the Boenicke W5 speakers...? Boenicke owner here...
    Pathos Classic One MKIII, Boenicke W5, AURALIC Vega DAC, Synology NAS, SBT for Tidal, Rega RP6/Goldring Elite MC, Clearaudio Basic +, SPK cable Inakustik LS1108, rca, Coax, USB, QED Performance

double
    Pathos Classic One MKIII, Boenicke W5, AURALIC Vega DAC, Synology NAS, SBT for Tidal, Rega RP6/Goldring Elite MC, Clearaudio Basic +, SPK cable Inakustik LS1108, rca, Coax, USB, QED Performance

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

a good number of folks i know have the w8 version and seem to love them
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Bet they do! This was totally unexpected, felt in love right at the moment the audition started!

Quote Originally Posted by João Miguel View Post
    Hi Kuopis, did you get the Boenicke W5 speakers...? Boenicke owner here...
    Hi Joao Miguel, I really liked them the first time I heard them, but don’t seem to get myself to replace the Harbeths. I’m still undecided.

But I hope you enjoy your Boenickes.

I dumped the Reference 3a last Fall for the Falcon LS3/5a (my 4th pair of /5as!). much better, like an old pair of shoes - in the best sense!

I dumped the Reference 3a last Fall for the Falcon LS3/5a (my 4th pair of /5as!). much better, like an old pair of shoes - in the best sense!
    brilliant , i regularly chat with the designer of those falcons

https://www.facebook.com/FalconLoudspeakers/
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Hi Joao Miguel, I really liked them the first time I heard them, but don’t seem to get myself to replace the Harbeths. I’m still undecided.

But I hope you enjoy your Boenickes.

I know the felling, had Dynaudio for the last 15 years, Special 25, X12, Focus 160. Recently demo the Special 40 and the New Contour 20, and believe me, it wasn’t easy to turn by back on Dynaudio for the first time ever.... That shows how impressed I was with this puppies when I listen to them for the first time... Like Sven Boenicke say: “Swiss Happiness in a Box”
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heard the W5’s at AXPONA and was very impressed. They give the Trenner & Friedl Art’s a run for their money. Check out this shootout between the two:
    http://hifiknights.com/reviews/speak...nerfriedl-art/

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    Heard the W5’s at AXPONA and was very impressed. They give the Trenner & Friedl Art’s a run for their money. Check out this shootout between the two:
    http://hifiknights.com/reviews/speak...nerfriedl-art/
    I must concur with that statement. The Arts sound a bit lean in comparison.

I already have read the W5 review but didn’t see this one. Nice reading, thanks for sharing.

Have you tried the different versions of the W5 and heard the differences? Also with low sensitivity of about 83 at 4 ohms, which amps work best? Would love to demo them in my home before shelling out a substantial amount for such diminutive speakers.

I got the base version because it was all I could get... And did not demo another version as It was not available. Got to heard the W11 SE on Lisbon Audio Show last year. I’m driving mine with a Pathos Classic One MKIII 80wpc. At the present can’t afford to upgrade the Pathos, but don’t need to, as the sound coming out from the W5 is a complete stunner, in my book I had to spend another big chunk of money to atchieve what I got... This speakers can offer so much quality, I’m addicted to them.

Thanks.

Do you feel you need a subwoofer or are you getting sufficient bass from the W5’s?

I got a sub, a BX XLS200, but to be honest turnded the volume down a bit as the W5 are more efficient, bass regard, that the speakers that were replaced (Dynaudio X12).
    I were a happy chump if I didn’t have a sub, the W5 are so complete in many ways, money well spent. Life is to short to have crappy gear... The best of all I think my wife like them more that I do, ohh but they don’t really care, do they... lol

Based on all of the great comments, I just bought a pair of W5 SE’s! Very excited to compare them to my Trenner & Friedl Art’s and Diapason Adamantes. And yes, I like monitors!

Congrats RDSChicago! Probably you got all the special tips from the dealer, but be prepared for a long break in, and i’m used to have brands of speakers with long periods of breaking in, like Dynaudio.
    What finnish did you get? Pictures...?

Boenicke W5 SE

Based on all of the great comments, I just bought a pair of W5 SE’s! Very excited to compare them to my Trenner & Friedl Art’s and Diapason Adamantes. And yes, I like monitors!
    Congrats, very happy for you. When I heard them the first time I was very impressed.

The W5’s sounds awesome. I like your musical taste. I know the Chris Jones song (second video). What are the other two? Beautiful system!!

Congrats, very happy for you. When I heard them the first time I was very impressed.

Thanks Kuoppis! I’ll report back to give impressions after I receive them.

Congrats RDSChicago! Probably you got all the special tips from the dealer, but be prepared for a long break in, and i’m used to have brands of speakers with long periods of breaking in, like Dynaudio.
    What finnish did you get? Pictures...?
    I decided to go for the walnut finish as that color goes best with my mid century modern furniture.

Thanks Kuoppis! I’ll report back to give impressions after I receive them.
    Walnut would be my choice as well, maybe if I got the W8 in a few years from now...

When they Will be delivered? Read somewhere that Boenicke is with a 1 to 2 months delay in delivers. Is that the case?

They will be here in a few weeks. A dealer had a pair in stock. He’s now on vacation so they won’t ship for ten days or so.

Thanks, the other two are Dire Straits - You and your friend , Icehouse - Man of colors.

Love Stockfish Records and their artists, but Chris Jones and Alan Taylor are among my favorites.

A quick shot of the W5. Amazing little speaker! Driving it with a KT120 Rogue Cronus Magnum and the synergy is right on. These speakers enjoy some power.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations on the Boenickes!
    Look forward to your listening impressions.

Those do look tiny but I'm assuming that they sound great.
    Look like a great option for smaller listening spaces.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Hi RDSChicago, congrats on the new babbles, and they loooook sooo goood...!

Love Boenicke in Walnut, my fav color as well.

How manny full Classe A watts do you have driving them? And yes please, give us your thoughts on them. ENJOY THEM!!!!

Hello Jaol,

I’m driving the W5’s with a 100wpc tube amp. Not sure about how many watts it puts out in Class A, if any. I have a pair of Pass Labs 70wpc Class A amps (Aleph 0 monoblocks) which, I presume, would drive them wonderfully and with authority. It’s amazing how small these are and how big they sound. I thought my Trenner & Friedl Art’s were mini-monitors. They’re around twice the size of the W5’s! Highly recommended, and not limited to a small listening space. With the right amplification these could pressurize even a large room.

RDSChicago, I can see in the picture you are using Boenicke W5 dedicated stands, have you tried with other stands? I use mine with factory stands as well, and no will to try with other stands, as I like the results so much with factory ones.

Joao, I’ve only used the factory stands thus far and don’t plan on trying any other stands, as Sven designed these stands for this speaker and I presume he believes they will outperform other stands.

Joao, I’ve only used the factory stands thus far and don’t plan on trying any other stands, as Sven designed these stands for this speaker and I presume he believes they will outperform other stands.
    My thoughts exactly.... Let them break in, and enjoy ALL your music library again, as ALL will sound completely different, well in my case did...

A quick shot of the W5. Amazing little speaker! Driving it with a KT120 Rogue Cronus Magnum and the synergy is right on. These speakers enjoy some power.
    Hi Rob, I know its barely been a week just wondering if the honeymoon is over yet and you know what kinda gal you got in the W5 im perfectly happy w/ my LS3/5a redux à la Falcon. I'm reliving my bachelor days and moving on to some Tannoys, somethin' that'll do justice to classic R&R. I'm gonna keep the toy monitors in situ to re-calibrate my ears from time to time (so to speak). My ESL 57s are outta my life and have moved on to a new sugar daddy.

Have been reading about this brand and this speaker intrigues me.

@RDSChicago - can I ask who the dealer was?
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

There is a dealer in New England. If you go onto Boenicke's site you'll see contact info.

Hi Rob,

I've been so busy this summer with work and kids' stuff that I haven't had time to listen to them that much. I'll report back when I finally get the opportunity to do so. But they are stellar speakers, especially for their diminutive size, and even regardless of their size.

Hi Rob, I know its barely been a week just wondering if the honeymoon is over yet and you know what kinda gal you got in the W5 im perfectly happy w/ my LS3/5a redux à la Falcon. I'm reliving my bachelor days and moving on to some Tannoys, somethin' that'll do justice to classic R&R. I'm gonna keep the toy monitors in situ to re-calibrate my ears from time to time (so to speak). My ESL 57s are outta my life and have moved on to a new sugar daddy.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Boenicke W5 SE