Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

Re: New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

Thanks for the Gryphon/Devialet comparison. I’m trying to arrange a Diablo 300 audition within a month in my own system.

Me too. Let’s swap notes. What are your thoughts on DACs/streamers?

Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

The demo D300 will most likely be without a DAC, so I'll have to see whether I can use Devialet for that or borrow something I know, most likely BelCanto or MSB Analog.

That is not optimal, because I'd really like to hear the D300 DAC as it would be my preferred solution at the moment.

Streamer is the next one to figure out, I'll probably start with Lumin.

Magico pairs nicely with Halcro amplifiers. Halcro dm88 powered my S3 Mk1, and now it powers my Q3. I expect any of the Halcro dm series amps would yield excellent results with S3 Mk2. Halcro are releasing a new product line-up next month, including, from what I understand, an integrated amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Magico pairs nicely with Halcro amplifiers. Halcro dm88 powered my S3 Mk1, and now it powers my Q3. I expect any of the Halcro dm series amps would yield excellent results with S3 Mk2. Halcro are releasing a new product line-up next month, including, from what I understand, an integrated amplifier.
    Never heard of Halcro but after a quick look at their website and in particular the DM38 stereo amp it looks VERY interesting. For space and cost reasons I like integrated amps - any idea (1) when the integrated amp will be released, (2) what the output will be, and (3) a ball park estimate of cost?

Quote Originally Posted by walesi View Post
    The demo D300 will most likely be without a DAC, so I'll have to see whether I can use Devialet for that or borrow something I know, most likely BelCanto or MSB Analog.

That is not optimal, because I'd really like to hear the D300 DAC as it would be my preferred solution at the moment.

Streamer is the next one to figure out, I'll probably start with Lumin.
    I am also leaning towards Lumin for my streamer. In addition to the stunning aesthetic and what seems to be (based on comments from fellow Sharks and also reviews) a very high quality product with regular upgrades, I like how Peter from Lumin is a Shark, responds to questions, and gives what I think is very balanced advice.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Assuming I end up with either the Diablo 300 or the Pass INT-250, what DAC and streamer should I get to complement? If the Diablo, am thinking I buy the Diablo 300 DAC plus the Lumin S-1. This assumes that Gryphon will upgrade the optional DAC in the future (in particular, for MQA). If the INT-250, I am thinking the Lumin A1 or the Esoteric N-5. I like the all-in cost of the latter option (although not sure whether to go for the A1 or the N-5).
    Isn't the Gryphon more than twice the price of the Pass?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Isn't the Gryphon more than twice the price of the Pass?
    No. I believe the Gryphon Diablo 300 list is 16k vs 12k for the Pass Int-250.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    No. I believe the Gryphon Diablo 300 list is 16k vs 12k for the Pass Int-250.
    These are US list prices with no DAC/phono options on the Diablo.

And Singapore may present a different price comparison, which I didn’t notice when I posted.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

In Singapore the pricing for these amps is roughly similar to the US pricing

Never heard of Halcro but after a quick look at their website and in particular the DM38 stereo amp it looks VERY interesting. For space and cost reasons I like integrated amps - any idea (1) when the integrated amp will be released, (2) what the output will be, and (3) a ball park estimate of cost?
    Halcro had the famous headline banner in Stereophile magazine "Best amplifier ever". They are holding their cards close to their chest with the new product range; all will be revealed at the Australian HiFi show in Melbourne next month. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Halcro had the famous headline banner in Stereophile magazine "Best amplifier ever". They are holding their cards close to their chest with the new product range; all will be revealed at the Australian HiFi show in Melbourne next month. Stay tuned.
    Yep...I will be there...
    Something new in HiFi from the Land Down Under...
    There is some VERY GOOD locally made stuff in AUS...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    Yep...I will be there...
    Something new in HiFi from the Land Down Under...
    There is some VERY GOOD locally made stuff in AUS...
    Also Plinius comes to mind...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Also Plinius comes to mind...

That comes from their neighbours (New Zealand).
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    That comes from their neighbours (New Zealand).
    Yes, that’s right. Down Under anyway...New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Banned

The Gryphon 120 ‘smashed’ (dramatic I know, but it is true) my Devialet 220 Pro. Am salivating at the thought of what the 300 is going to do.
    Did you post this on the Devialet Chat forum as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    Did you post this on the Devialet Chat forum as well?
    Sssssh - so far no blow back!

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    They're even more beautiful in the flesh...
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

Agreed. Amazing fit and finish. So is the feel of the volume control, smooth without any "give".

Is anyone using it with the S3 mk2?

I just received the MP and PA 3100 series. Using it with S3 Mk1. Very nice..... I think the 3100 gear is really going to make T+A a major contender..
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

AJR or anybody. Did i you compare Pass INT-250 with Gryphon Diablo 300.
    I have Pass Int-250 and thinking about moving to Diablo 300. Can’t demo Diablo so.
    is that will be an upgrade or sideways move? My speakers are newest Sonus Faber Serafino. Listen mostly to jazz and chamber classical.
    Any advise is very appreciated.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum myjazz, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by myjazz123 View Post
    AJR or anybody. Did i you compare Pass INT-250 with Gryphon Diablo 300.
    I have Pass Int-250 and thinking about moving to Diablo 300. Can’t demo Diablo so.
    is that will be an upgrade or sideways move? My speakers are newest Sonus Faber Serafino. Listen mostly to jazz and chamber classical.
    Any advise is very appreciated.
    Hi myjazz. Not yet but I plan to do so during November. They are the two left on my shortlist at this stage. .

I would try the solution 330 integrated. should be a divine match

I was looking at a second hand pair of the S3 mkII. However I was too late. But the shop told me. That my amp would not have been a good match. Not enough power. My amp is about 100w 8Ohm. So that might be something to consider.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I was looking at a second hand pair of the S3 mkII. However I was too late. But the shop told me. That my amp would not have been a good match. Not enough power. My amp is about 100w 8Ohm. So that might be something to consider.
    We just discussed this on another thread and I think you are right.

I just went from 350 wpc to 500 wpc driving the Magico S3 mk2. While the 350 wpc never felt constrained, 500 wpc simply is better. More headroom, more ease, better flow.

Audioshark

I just went from 350 wpc to 500 wpc driving the Magico S3 mk2. While the 350 wpc never felt constrained, 500 wpc simply is better. More headroom, more ease, better flow.

I think this is going to be a perfect long term match. Pass builds amazing products. Did you ever get a chance to hear the 260.8's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Agree Mike, I do have great respect for Pass products. And the system synergy with Magico and Pass Labs is excellent IMHO.

I did not hear the 260.8s, as I was looking for a stereo amp for space and heat dissipation reasons. I did not want to get any stupid ideas, as I know how that usually ends New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2.

While I do think Magico are good speakers this might be a deal breaker for me (I'll never be able to afford new Magico speakers, 2nd hand maybe). 500wpc is very extreme. Most audiophiles I know have amps in the midrange power band 50 to 200 wpc.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

While I do think Magico are good speakers this might be a deal breaker for me (I'll never be able to afford new Magico speakers, 2nd hand maybe). 500wpc is very extreme. Most audiophiles I know have amps in the midrange power band 50 to 200 wpc.
    Mordante,

I am not sure what type of music you like and your preferred listening volumes. I also tried to research your speakers but had trouble with that. So I don’t have a good feel for what you need.

With that said, it seems that you need speakers with higher sensitivity than the Magico S range. Before I bought my Magico S3 MK2s I auditioned a lot of different speakers including the Dynaudio Contour 60s (amazing value for money, but these also require some juice, and I just couldn’t get excited about their aesthetic and size), Focal Sopra 2 and 3 (high sensitivity so might be worth a try if you haven’t already) and the now older model Sonus Faber Amati. SF have released a new Tradition range including a new Amati and Serafino, which had not been released when I was auditioning but I have since heard the Amati and it is fantastic. These SFs have high sensitivity. My SF dealer is looking to offload his older generation Amatis at a substantial discount (to make way for the new Amati Tradition) so maybe a 2nd hand one might work for you.

Andrew

New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

I did use the S3 mk2 with a 60 wpc Pass INT-60 for a while and quite liked it. And 200 wpc is plenty, they’re rated 50 wpc upwards.

I just want to be a badass New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2.

I did use the S3 mk2 with a 60 wpc Pass INT-60 for a while and quite liked it. And 200 wpc is plenty, they’re rated 50 wpc upwards.

Kuoppis - did you ever try the INT-250 or given your fantastic pre-amp were you only auditioning power amps?

Mordante,

I am not sure what type of music you like and your preferred listening volumes. I also tried to research your speakers but had trouble with that. So I don’t have a good feel for what you need.

With that said, it seems that you need speakers with higher sensitivity than the Magico S range. Before I bought my Magico S3 MK2s I auditioned a lot of different speakers including the Dynaudio Contour 60s (amazing value for money, but these also require some juice, and I just couldn’t get excited about their aesthetic and size), Focal Sopra 2 and 3 (high sensitivity so might be worth a try if you haven’t already) and the now older model Sonus Faber Amati. SF have released a new Tradition range including a new Amati and Serafino, which had not been released when I was auditioning but I have since heard the Amati and it is fantastic. These SFs have high sensitivity. My SF dealer is looking to offload his older generation Amatis at a substantial discount (to make way for the new Amati Tradition) so maybe a 2nd hand one might work for you.

Andrew
    I mainly listen to (post)rock, (post)metal, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (not sure what genre they are), Leonard Cohen etc. Lat few weeks Silence is Sexy by the Einsturzende Neubauten is my fav LP. Together with the Light at the End of the World by My Dying Bride.

Don't we secretly want to be a badass.

The manufacturer of my amp does not supply info about how many watts at what load my amp is. They just state more than 100wpc at 8 Ohm.

Right now I have a pair of Blumenhofer FS2 on test and next week a pair of Raidho X-3 will join them. Both are either second hand or demo models. New both are out of my price range.

Love Nick Cave...

AJR - I have the INT-60 as well, which is now at my summerhouse. It was great with the S3 mk1s.

But I did not audition the INT-250 as such, I think it however shares most, if not all, of the innards with my X250.8. I would not know what you could possibly do wrong with a Pass amp, unless you want to try a Gryphon or something. If integrated, I would go for either of those at the moment.

Yep. It is a straight shoot-out at the moment between those two. Just waiting for my dealers to get them in stock so I can do a home demo and decide. Agree that I can’t really go wrong with either of them. Fun times ahead!

Mordante, all components you have, or are auditioning are of a high quality. That is a good starting point.

I would focus on the type of sound you really like and would build a system around that. Whether expensive or more affordable, old or new does not matter so much - there are many ways to skin the cat.

Yep. It is a straight shoot-out at the moment between those two. Just waiting for my dealers to get them in stock so I can do a home demo and decide. Agree that I can’t really go wrong with either of them. Fun times ahead!
    Sounds like a lots of fun, please post your impressions.

Kuoppis,

I read your comments in a separate thread on the Boulder integrated. How do you think it performed compared to the Pass INT-60? Probably not a fair comparison as the Boulder has more power. Have you listened to the Pass INT-250 and if so how does the Boulder compare? Should I add it to my shortlist?

Andrew

Kuoppis,

I read your comments in a separate thread on the Boulder integrated. How do you think it performed compared to the Pass INT-60? Probably not a fair comparison as the Boulder has more power. Have you listened to the Pass INT-250 and if so how does the Boulder compare? Should I add it to my shortlist?

Andrew
    Andrew, as a matter of fact I would. Especially with your musical taste, where you want powerful bass. The Boulder has it - in abundance. It’s a lots of fun.

Of course I also like the INT-250, it’s a great amp.

Hi to all, i am also Magico S3 mk1 owner, i tried many amps in my house:
    1.Gryphon Attilla
    2.Gryphon Diablo 300
    4.Constellation Audio Argo
    5.Hovland Radia (stereo power) + Audible illisions L3 pre
    6.And still Mark Levinson 431 (stereo Power) + Audible illisions L3 pre

My first impression is Magico doesnt need too high watts, but loves high quality main current (amperes) so, in my list and you must listen Constellation Audio Argo is the winner, after Argo I am very happy with my ML431 but audible illusions L3A is a tube pre amped maybe because of that factor i love ML431, Gryphon 300 has too much power but at the low volumes it doesnt wake up for some frequencies, especially low frequencies, maybe because of i listen 300 not much and i sold it before it completed its burning process, here is my gryphon 300 video and argo video ,

i couldnt put the links but you can watch from youtube Argo and magico and
    iesmr_s3 for the diablo 300

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ilkeresmer View Post
    i couldnt put the links but you can watch from youtube Argo and magico and
    iesmr_s3 for the diablo 300

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by ilkeresmer View Post
    Hi to all, i am also Magico S3 mk1 owner, i tried many amps in my house:
    1.Gryphon Attilla
    2.Gryphon Diablo 300
    4.Constellation Audio Argo
    5.Hovland Radia (stereo power) + Audible illisions L3 pre
    6.And still Mark Levinson 431 (stereo Power) + Audible illisions L3 pre

My first impression is Magico doesnt need too high watts, but loves high quality main current (amperes) so, in my list and you must listen Constellation Audio Argo is the winner, after Argo I am very happy with my ML431 but audible illusions L3A is a tube pre amped maybe because of that factor i love ML431, Gryphon 300 has too much power but at the low volumes it doesnt wake up for some frequencies, especially low frequencies, maybe because of i listen 300 not much and i sold it before it completed its burning process, here is my gryphon 300 video and argo video ,
    Hi Ilkesremer, welcome, thanks for joining. A nice list of amps you have there.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Hi Ilkesremer, welcome, thanks for joining. A nice list of amps you have there.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Thank you so much for all your welcomings!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team