Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

I am SUPER happy with my system right now. I think my next step is to upgrade my DAC and in this regard I have my eye on the upcoming MSB Premiere DAC, all pimped up with Femto 93 clock upgrade, Roon ready ethernet renderer, and upgraded power base. Given my listening room is 17 foot deep but very wide, I think that system is about right. To me, the next step would be D’Ags (a la Joe) and the M3s. But I don’t think my room justifies that upgrade. Not to mention the fairly poor acoustics in my room (it is the main living room, so coffee tables etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts? My feeling is keep the Magicos and the Gryphon and upgrade the DAC, be happy, and rock on.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    I am SUPER happy with my system right now. I think my next step is to upgrade my DAC and in this regard I have my eye on the upcoming MSB Premiere DAC, all pimped up with Femto 93 clock upgrade, Roon ready ethernet renderer, and upgraded power base. Given my listening room is 17 foot deep but very wide, I think that system is about right. To me, the next step would be D’Ags (a la Joe) and the M3s. But I don’t think my room justifies that upgrade. Not to mention the fairly poor acoustics in my room (it is the main living room, so coffee tables etc).

Does anyone have any thoughts? My feeling is keep the Magicos and the Gryphon and upgrade the DAC, be happy, and rock on.
    That's a tough one. The M3's should work fine in your room. I had the D'ag on the M3's in the store and it was nice, but frankly, I prefer the Gryphon Colosseum. Personal taste, both great amps. That being said, you can always benefit from a world class source. It's what feeds the system. I have my MSB's (Discrete and pimped out Premier) on order. I'm chomping at the bit to get them. I've been told I will see the Premier sometime shortly after Munich and the Discrete shortly after that.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike.

I can’t wait to home audition the MSB Premiere. Just to see what the difference is. I love my Lumin T1 but can’t wait to see if it possible to get a better sound from Tidal/my FLAC files on my NAS. I hope to also demo the Nyquist and Lampizator Pacific.

Once I settle on my DAC I will then revisit amplification and speakers. The Gryphon folk in Singapore are fantastic. I can see myself auditioning a Colosseum or Mephisto as well as the Pantheon. But it will take a lot to pull me away from Magico. I have an aesthetic issue with the Gryphon speakers. But then again, I initially had an aesthetic issue with the Diablo, which I now love...

It is all good. Just dancing around the margins.
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's a tough one. The M3's should work fine in your room. I had the D'ag on the M3's in the store and it was nice, but frankly, I prefer the Gryphon Colosseum. Personal taste, both great amps. That being said, you can always benefit from a world class source. It's what feeds the system. I have my MSB's (Discrete and pimped out Premier) on order. I'm chomping at the bit to get them. I've been told I will see the Premier sometime shortly after Munich and the Discrete shortly after that.
    Mike,

I forget. What pre-amp did you use with the Colosseum?

Thinking about this, MSB is boxing clever with the Discrete and Premiere DACs. All the upgrade options are with the Premiere. Might have been Keith or Ken (?) pointing out in an earlier thread that the pimped up model will end up being circa US$30k. Looking forward to testing.

AJR, if I'm not mistaken you bought your Diablo 300 a few month ago. It there is something you don't like about it so you considering the upgrade/change? Did you find out a reason for a blown fuse?
    Thanks.

Myjazz,

Thanks for your message.

I replaced the fuse wire and it is all good now.

I love my Diablo. It is amazing.

I am just getting itchy feet and wondering what the next step is (there is always a next step).

Andrew

AJR, I understand. With this crazy but awesome hobby we never going to stop spending. But the Diablo 300 is so good that (I think ) in order to best it you need to move up the Gryphon chain (Mikes recommendation also). But in order to hear the benefits you need all system to be on that level and first of all - the source. All cables also need to be top notch. Good luck!

Thanks bro. I think my cables are good. It is all good. But to improve I think I need to upgrade my DaC.

You really need to hear the DAC that they put inside the Diablo. It's a killer!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

You are right. I should add that to the list as well. Maybe pair it with a Lumin U1.

New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

You should consider a separate DAC given your setup at the moment. My suggestion on your source side will be your NAS, you might want to consider Melco or Fidata. The other thing is an audiophile rack for your equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2