New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2 - Page 10
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Mordante,

I am not sure what type of music you like and your preferred listening volumes. I also tried to research your speakers but had trouble with that. So I don’t have a good feel for what you need.

With that said, it seems that you need speakers with higher sensitivity than the Magico S range. Before I bought my Magico S3 MK2s I auditioned a lot of different speakers including the Dynaudio Contour 60s (amazing value for money, but these also require some juice, and I just couldn’t get excited about their aesthetic and size), Focal Sopra 2 and 3 (high sensitivity so might be worth a try if you haven’t already) and the now older model Sonus Faber Amati. SF have released a new Tradition range including a new Amati and Serafino, which had not been released when I was auditioning but I have since heard the Amati and it is fantastic. These SFs have high sensitivity. My SF dealer is looking to offload his older generation Amatis at a substantial discount (to make way for the new Amati Tradition) so maybe a 2nd hand one might work for you.

Andrew
    I mainly listen to (post)rock, (post)metal, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (not sure what genre they are), Leonard Cohen etc. Lat few weeks Silence is Sexy by the Einsturzende Neubauten is my fav LP. Together with the Light at the End of the World by My Dying Bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I did use the S3 mk2 with a 60 wpc Pass INT-60 for a while and quite liked it. And 200 wpc is plenty, they’re rated 50 wpc upwards.

I just want to be a badass .

Don't we secretly want to be a badass.

The manufacturer of my amp does not supply info about how many watts at what load my amp is. They just state more than 100wpc at 8 Ohm.

Right now I have a pair of Blumenhofer FS2 on test and next week a pair of Raidho X-3 will join them. Both are either second hand or demo models. New both are out of my price range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Integrated amp: Symphonic Line La Music Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua Streamer: Auralic Aries LE DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit Phono amp: RCM Sensor Prelude Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 Interlinks Ansuz X Digital Interlinks Anzus Digitals A USB Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, Anuzus Mains A, NBS dragon fly, Zu Bok Audio Rack: Solid Steel H6

Post Thanks / Like

Love Nick Cave...

Post Thanks / Like

AJR - I have the INT-60 as well, which is now at my summerhouse. It was great with the S3 mk1s.

But I did not audition the INT-250 as such, I think it however shares most, if not all, of the innards with my X250.8. I would not know what you could possibly do wrong with a Pass amp, unless you want to try a Gryphon or something. If integrated, I would go for either of those at the moment.

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ REL T5i/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

4. Likes AJR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It is a straight shoot-out at the moment between those two. Just waiting for my dealers to get them in stock so I can do a home demo and decide. Agree that I can’t really go wrong with either of them. Fun times ahead!

6. Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mordante, all components you have, or are auditioning are of a high quality. That is a good starting point.

I would focus on the type of sound you really like and would build a system around that. Whether expensive or more affordable, old or new does not matter so much - there are many ways to skin the cat.

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ REL T5i/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. It is a straight shoot-out at the moment between those two. Just waiting for my dealers to get them in stock so I can do a home demo and decide. Agree that I canít really go wrong with either of them. Fun times ahead!
    Sounds like a lots of fun, please post your impressions.

9. Thanks AJR thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kuoppis,

I read your comments in a separate thread on the Boulder integrated. How do you think it performed compared to the Pass INT-60? Probably not a fair comparison as the Boulder has more power. Have you listened to the Pass INT-250 and if so how does the Boulder compare? Should I add it to my shortlist?

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

New integrated amplifier to drive Magico S3 mk2

Kuoppis,

I read your comments in a separate thread on the Boulder integrated. How do you think it performed compared to the Pass INT-60? Probably not a fair comparison as the Boulder has more power. Have you listened to the Pass INT-250 and if so how does the Boulder compare? Should I add it to my shortlist?

Andrew
    Andrew, as a matter of fact I would. Especially with your musical taste, where you want powerful bass. The Boulder has it - in abundance. Itís a lots of fun.

Of course I also like the INT-250, itís a great amp.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10