Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Behold the Klipsch Forte III speakers

The Audiophiliac checks out Klipsch’s brawny new horn-loaded speakers.

https://www.cnet.com/news/big-for-a-...-iii-speakers/

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Re: Behold the Klipsch Forte III speakers

I had a pair of the original Forte's, and I loved them!!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Having an in home demo now! They are pretty impressive and a lot of fun.

JW Home Theater Solutions was kind enough to bring one Distressed Oak and one special edition California Black Walnut to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Super Moderator

That's awesome. Love the look.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thought I would post a little update. I went ahead and bought a pair of the special edition California Black Walnut Fortes.

For me, these things are awesome! I, like many here, have been through a handful of speakers in the past few years. Most of them (retail) have been as expensive or multiples of what these cost.

Sure, these don't do everything better than my set ups in the past have done but they seem to effortlessly cut to the core of the music. They do a great job at revealing textural, timbral, and dynamic information. I'm surprised to find they sonically disappear quite well in the room as well and do a fine job with soundstaging in all dimensions. They are a blast to listen to across all genres and work well in my smallish 14'x15' room.

In all, I think I have found the sound that I have been looking for in a reasonable package and at a reasonable price. It's impressive how little they give up to some of the other speakers I've had while having their own considerable strengths. They have gotten me to the place where I am excited to listen to the music and not the gear and I'm pretty excited about that.

Right now these are being driven by my brute force solid-state integrated amplifier, the Coda CSiB. I do have a little noise in the system but otherwise the sound is great, probably owing to the fact that the Coda is biased for 12W in class A before transitioning to a/b. Given how good it sounds now I plan to keep this set up but I am definitely looking forward to playing around with some tube amps in the future. You guys have me pretty hyped on the LTA gear right now. Should be fun!

Edited.

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Super Moderator

Congratulations! I had a pair of Cornwall IIIs. Loved those speakers and sorry I sold them. Worked superbly with an 8wpc ASL amp. Never realized how loud I was playing them until the music stopped! Wow!

So happy you love the Forte IIIs.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Do note I have tilted the speakers. They are quite short at 36 inches tall.

Super Moderator

Great photos! Looks awesome.

NAD C 658 streamer.

very much enjoyed listening to these forte at a show yesterday , that rear driver is something !!!!
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I would think the Coda amp to be plenty warm.

The original Forte had a rear passive radiator, is that the same for the III or did they go to an actual driver?I had a set of Forte for a while, the overall balance, and bass was very good.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

These look like a really fun set of speakers. With the right amp, a blast I’m sure. I loved my Cornwall 3 with my 8wpc ASL Wave monos.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    The original Forte had a rear passive radiator, is that the same for the III or did they go to an actual driver?
    It is still a passive radiator, though they have moved to a 15" unit.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    These look like a really fun set of speakers. With the right amp, a blast I’m sure. I loved my Cornwall 3 with my 8wpc ASL Wave monos.
    That they are! Though I haven't heard the Cornwall's in person I'm guessing these have a smoother, less overtly horn sound with the updated midrange horn.

Any good ideas for a reasonably priced (<$3k used) tubed integrated that would pair well?

I need to hear a set of the JBL 4367's at some point. Whatta speaker!

I've heard good things about the Line Magnetic, sounding good and being an over achiever for the money.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Those are high sensitivity speakers - use that to your advantage and get an OTL amp ! Tenor 75i instantly springs to mind. One of the best integrateds, cost no object (you can find them used for ~$5k; I know that it is more than you want to spend, but we are talking about an absolute performance, the amp that on high efficiency speakers sounds better than most $10-50k designs, tube or solid state. Another option would be Graaf GM-20 (~$2000 used), but that amp would need a preamp, or a DAC with a quality variable output.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I've heard good things about the Line Magnetic, sounding good and being an over achiever for the money.
    I'm semi familiar with them and they are certainly on my radar. Were you thinking 219ia or 508 or? I know last time I looked there were several variations and I'm not up to snuff on all the traits of various models. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Those are high sensitivity speakers - use that to your advantage and get an OTL amp ! Tenor 75i instantly springs to mind. One of the best integrateds, cost no object (you can find them used for ~$5k; I know that it is more than you want to spend, but we are talking about an absolute performance, the amp that on high efficiency speakers sounds better than most $10-50k designs, tube or solid state. Another option would be Graaf GM-20 (~$2000 used), but that amp would need a preamp, or a DAC with a quality variable output.
    Awesome suggestions, I was aware of neither of those! OTL is certainly of interest to me since the LTA buzz that has been going around.

Budget could certainly be extended with time, I'm just being cautious and may just dip my toes in the water initially. If anything I want to add to my stable not replace given the enjoyment level I'm at.

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    I'm semi familiar with them and they are certainly on my radar. Were you thinking 219ia or 508 or? I know last time I looked there were several variations and I'm not up to snuff on all the traits of various models. Thanks!

The Line Magnetic souped up 219ia is definitely a keeper. Another would be the Leben CS-300XS would be good as it did keep good company with my Kilpsch heresy III's 70th Anni. I am thinking of the Cornwall 3 70th Anni, if I can find a pair. Indeed tubes are the perfect match for Klipsch. Very musical, very nice and very light on the pocket .. as a combo. The Forte III's I understand were the bigger brother of the Heresy ... to extend below the 58Hz ... I could be wrong. But you do have a pair of wonderful speakers. Nice looking too. Congrats!
    SME Synergy
    Thorens TD147 Jubilee (Restored) + Ortofon A-Mono
    Roon Nucleus+ 4TB + Plixir Elite LPS
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    Air Tight ATC-5 Pre + ATM300R + ATH-3
    Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
    Audience AU24 SX Cables, Interconnects & aR6 OX Power Conditioner
    DS Audio Ioniser
    Audio-Philar Rack & Amp Stand

heard the big line magnetic speakers for first time last year at a show , they were delightful . just sad that this french outfit had put so much time and effort and and hardly anyone was at show which was a bit of a flop really
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I heard these today at Excel Audio in Newport Beach, CA. Mike Love is the proprietor and his shop is very vinyl/tube-centric. We were listening to a few of his 'big' rigs in the main room ($100k+) and out in the lobby he had Forte III set up with Quad tube pre/power combo (15 WPC) and an entry level Clearaudio LP spinner with Clearaudio MM cart. to say I was caught off guard is an understatement, blown away is more like it. We put on Neil Young's Live at Massey Hall. These aren't your Dad's Klipsch's they were well behaved on top and transparent to the source, like unbelievably so for a quasi-horn priced at just $3.5K retail. Very nice speaker that doesn't offend in any particular way. Suddenly these have risen to the top of my short list of speakers for a 3rd pr behind Quad 57s and Ls35/a's. For best value i think the Tannoy Cheviot is off my list. I will make up my mind once I audition the JBL L100 classics. The Forte in Black Walnut are stunning to look at as well.

Super Moderator

Rob,

That's awesome. I enjoyed a pair of Cornwall III's and I'm sure the Forte III are wonderful. I'm looking forward to your decision and more comparisons.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

What Kevvy doesn't do is actually play them in his vid, i think the finish is what architectural people refer to as 'pickled' oak. Whoever is in charge of Klipsch nowadays 'gets it' they managed to strike a chord with the retro crowd yet they brought their speaker range up to date and are 'modern sounding' for lack of a better descriptor. I def like what I heard/saw.

https://youtu.be/1JkoGteWDm8

I’ve started to get very interested in these.

Super Moderator

Add a sweet solid state or good tube amp and I’m sure it’s going to be awesome.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Add a sweet solid state or good tube amp and I’m sure it’s going to be awesome.
    Wondering if they’d also work well with Gryphon Diablo 300.

Super Moderator

I haven’t heard the Diablo but think it could be great as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Just thought I would give a bit of an update. Almost a year in and I’m still enamored with these speakers. I’ve had several quite different amplifiers on them and they have each given an unfailingly musical result. I’m playing with 7” stands for them now which is fun. There is definitely some improvement in the mids with them raised and a bit of a trade off in the bass at the moment, but again they are just fun and engaging to listen to regardless. Their shortcomings just don’t seem to hinder my enjoyment of them. Just thought I’d share! Thanks!

Just thought I would give a bit of an update. Almost a year in and I’m still enamored with these speakers. I’ve had several quite different amplifiers on them and they have each given an unfailingly musical result. I’m playing with 7” stands for them now which is fun. There is definitely some improvement in the mids with them raised and a bit of a trade off in the bass at the moment, but again they are just fun and engaging to listen to regardless. Their shortcomings just don’t seem to hinder my enjoyment of them. Just thought I’d share! Thanks!

For the price, what shortcomings? you're being modest These are great speakers anywhere near 5K+ for anyone that doubts that, schlepp your amp and LPs/USB stick to a Klipsch dealer for a listen. I'm thinking of reasons NOT to buy them. For the person with a Shindo amp or if you're looking at Harbeth and own a punny <30 WPC tube amp, you should hear Forte IIIs. Even if your amp is SS and makes 500 WPC you should still hear them.

thanks for the update, I too would love to build a second system around these paired with a sweet tube integrated .......
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    What Kevvy doesn't do is actually play them in his vid, i think the finish is what architectural people refer to as 'pickled' oak. Whoever is in charge of Klipsch nowadays 'gets it' they managed to strike a chord with the retro crowd yet they brought their speaker range up to date and are 'modern sounding' for lack of a better descriptor. I def like what I heard/saw.
    I think they actual call it , Distressed Oak. ""The Forte III real-wood veneer comes in four distinct finishes including Distressed Oak, Cherry, Black Ash and Walnut""
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I know the Forte is a fine speaker but has anyone heard a Chorus II recently? It's similar to the Forte but it's woofer is 15" instead of the Forte's 12 inch. Wonder how they differ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Morbius View Post
    I know the Forte is a fine speaker but has anyone heard a Chorus II recently? It's similar to the Forte but it's woofer is 15" instead of the Forte's 12 inch. Wonder how they differ?
    Didn't Kilipsch stop making that speaker back in the mid 90's.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

The Chorus is not currently made anymore. Here is the current Heritage Series:
    https://www.klipsch.com/heritage-speakers

Just heard the Klipsch Forte III at the recent Mumbai Audio show.
    The amp pairing was not ideal but still was a very interesting speaker.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post

Just heard the Klipsch Forte III at the recent Mumbai Audio show.
    The amp pairing was not ideal but still was a very interesting speaker.
    wanderlust perhaps or an itch to hear Led Zep's Dazed and Confused at 11, but i liked my short stint with the Forte III. What did you think?

Unfortunately not a very ideal setup.

The setup just didn't have control over the woofer.
    But for a moment that effortless horn loaded mid range came through.
    Definitely something that will keep me interested in having another listen sometime.

I really like the fact that Klipsch has put some focus on the Heritage series.
    There is something to those cabinets and horns that has an appeal to them.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Super Moderator

Klipsch with Job amps or even the Job INTegrated is a wonderful combo.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe!

Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely has got me interested now!
    Will have to see if I can get a chance to listen to them more closely from the local dealer.

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team