Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Audioshark

iPhone X

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: iPhone X

Amazing!

But can it hold a battery charge? We always want more.
    Industry Disclosure: Owner Epiphanic Audio. Bespoke 2 channel resource in Virginia Beach VA. Dealer for darTZeel and other great brands.

I am definitely going for one

I might break down and just get the 8 Plus. Have a 6 for probably over 3 years. I'll wait to the immediate rush dies down over the next couple of weeks and then think about it more carefully.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

I have an iPhone7, which I got last year after my iPhone5 basically fell apart after four years. In the first three months of having the iPhone7 I dropped it more than I dropped the iPhone 5 in four years. So, I am buying the iPhone 5Se, ad will use the iPhone7 as a remote for my Lumin S1. I definitely like the size of the iPhone5 versus the iPhone7.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

The 256GB iPhone X will set you back $1149.00. Yowza! You'll then need to drop an additional $69.00 for the 61 watt USB-C power adapter in order to take advantage of the X's fast charging, plus you cannot use the Lightning to USB-A cable that is bundled in the box with the standard wall charger. Fast charging requires a USB-C to Lightning cable to go along with the USB-C wall charger. So figure an additional $85.00 for all that. Add two years of Apple Care+ for another $199.00 and the grand total is $1433.00 plus sales tax. Even if you forgo the Apple Care+, the iPhone X with fast charge adapter, and USB-C to Lightning cable will set you back $1234.00. That's a lot of moolah for a cellphone.

Apple wants everyone to believe the X is revolutionary and worth its price, but it is really Apple playing catch up. Samsung has had AMOLED screens for years. Their newest Galaxy S8 screen has higher resolution and is considerably brighter than the iPhone X, and also provides edge to edge display. In fact, Apple's new X phone screen is manufactured by Samsung. Samsung has had water resistant phones and wireless fast charging for years, so these revolutionary Apple features are actually just evolutionary features they incorporated into their new phone to keep up with Samsung. The Samsung Galaxy S8 costs $749.00, includes the fast charging adapter in the box, has the exact same screen size but with higher resolution and brightness, and provides the edge to edge display that Apple claims is the future of their new iPhone lineup. Why Apple thinks the iPhone X is worth nearly $400.00 more than the Samsung Galaxy S8 is a mystery to me. They replaced the secure fingerprint scanner with facial recognition, which by the way failed to unlock the phone on stage during the Keynote presentation at Apple's new headquarters. Uh oh! To me, facial recognition does not seem to be the most secure access feature. Time will tell if I am right about that one.

When all is said and done the iPhone X is a cellphone. Take and make calls, send and receive texts and emails, take photos and videos, and access the Internet, pretty much like nearly every other cell phone. For the price of the 64GB iPhone X you could purchase a new MacBook Air. For the 256GB version of the iPhone X and fast charger you can purchase a new 13" MacBook Pro or even a 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display and have change. I am sure many folks will jump on the apple cart this November and will enjoy their new iPhone X. I'm positive it is a great phone. I am equally positive I am unlikely to be one of those new owners.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    When all is said and done the iPhone X is a cellphone. Take and make calls, send and receive texts and emails, take photos and videos, and access the Internet, pretty much like nearly every other cell phone. For the price of the 64GB iPhone X you could purchase a new MacBook Air. For the 256GB version of the iPhone X and fast charger you can purchase a new 13" MacBook Pro or even a 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display and have change. I am sure many folks will jump on the apple cart this November and will enjoy their new iPhone X. I'm positive it is a great phone. I am equally positive I am unlikely to be one of those new owners.
    I agree - I'm a big fan of IOS (still have my old iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) and a couple of iPads. That's why at this point I'm leaning towards a 64GB iPhone 8 plus to replace my iPhone 6 (which at the moment there is an available $200 credit and I'll think about it over the next few weeks). it gives me a bigger display, camera with a couple of more features (even vs. the iPhone 8). I don't need a UHD display. I don't use it for music. I guess it is for people who just have to be cutting edge. I am going to use it as a cell phone as you noted. I think I have my current iPhone 6 about 2.5 years. Just like a PC, they generally have rapid changes in the technology of cell phones. I don't need something like the iPhone X over the next few years. If the technology comes down price wise when I'm ready for another phone then I'm fine with it. For the price difference in the iPhone X vs. what I'm considering I could buy a 9.7 inch iPad for my main system (vs. the mini that I use) and have money left over.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

I agree that Apple is catching up and I'm sure I will be getting the X even tho the price is ridiculous. My aging eyes love the bigger screen but smaller phone size instead of the 7 or 8 Plus.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

iPhone X

I had a look today, as I had to go back to my iPhone 6, as the 6S broke. There is literally no evolution from the 6 to the 7. And what I’m reading, same thing with the 8.

In turn, the Samsungs were much more impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I am surprised there isn't more chatter about the new iPhone X, especially since nearly every other iPhone version generated quite a bit of interest and excitement. I think most iPhone users may be suffering sticker shock. $1234.00 for the 256GB version of the iPhone X with the fast charger adapter and USB-C cable is a stout entry fee for a phone. That's $1320.00 when you add the typical 7% sale tax.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

I need to look at the 8 plus and X and see which one gives me the best surfing experience with my failing eyes. I usually hang onto a phone for 3 or more years, so while the price is high, it the one thing I constantly use all the freaking time. I am sure the manufacturers count on that to extract the most money from us. Looks like phone subsidies are gone, so now it's pay full price at once or over time. Ugh!

I have 2 plans, one on Verizon and one on Sprint. I need/want the iPhone for Verizon because a lot of friends are on iPhones and the iMessage app is just wonderful. We have a Verizon repeater at work so reception is stellar. Sprint is almost as good as Verizon but I need to be by a window for better reception just like the guys with T-Mobile and AT&T.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 21, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Frankly speaking I don’t think it is about the price. It is more that innovation at Apple passed away with Steve Jobs.

Nowadays it is hard to identify a more boring occasion than the launch of the next iPhone.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I'm not buying it. No phone is worth that much. My iPhone 6S 128GB works perfectly well with all apps, no lag, and since I keep it in a rubber back cover + foil on a display - still looks factory fresh after 2 years. I think it costed me $699 - half of what the new iPhone X costs. I think I will keep it for the next 2 years till battery dies or it starts showing lag on newer apps.

And that comes from an apple fan, who has 5 iPhones at home, 2 iPads and two MacBooks.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

Steve really had the vision and the skills to make it happen. Now it's not as exciting but still useful.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

If we spend tens of thousands on speakers and amplifiers it seems a $1,000 phone which is with us 24/7 shouldn't feel out of reach. It shows that we all have different priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I need to look at the 8 plus and X and see which one gives me the best surfing experience with my failing eyes. I usually hang onto a phone for 3 or more years, so while the price is high, it the one thing I constantly use all the freaking time. I am sure the manufacturers count on that to extract the most money from us. Looks like phone subsidies are gone, so now it's pay full price at once or over time. Ugh!

I have 2 plans, one on Verizon and one on Sprint. I need/want the iPhone for Verizon because a lot of friends are on iPhones and the iMessage app is just wonderful. We have a Verizon repeater at work so reception is stellar. Sprint is almost as good as Verizon but I need to be by a window for better reception just like the guys with T-Mobile and AT&T.
    The size of the screen should be similar. The 'X' will be about the size of the 8 (vs. the 8 plus). The 'X' will also do UHD. So I guess in theory something could look a bit sharper on the 'X' depending on the site - here's a comparison - http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1422...the-difference

Dan

I have a 6. Moving up to the 8 is not a real upgrade per se. Will wait to see the X after it is released and how successful the overall implementation of the technology. No rush at this point.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Super Moderator

That puts it into perspective, but I'd like to see them in person. I'm more inclined to choose the 8 plus based on this graphic. I am not sure I like the narrowness of the X.

Thanks!

My iPhone SE drives me a little crazy trying to surf or even text on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

Word of advice to Married men, don't buy the new iPhone X, because when you fall asleep, your wife can unlock your phone by simply placing it in front of your face, then she can see everything inside!

But, there's no way for you to check on your wife's new phone, because she has removed all her makeup and the phone won't recognize her

Super Moderator

Ha!

Actually, Apple said that your eyes have to be open and you can not just hold the phone in front of someone to unlock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy View Post
    Word of advice to Married men, don't buy the new iPhone X, because when you fall asleep, your wife can unlock your phone by simply placing it in front of your face, then she can see everything inside!

But, there's no way for you to check on your wife's new phone, because she has removed all her makeup and the phone won't recognize her

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    If we spend tens of thousands on speakers and amplifiers it seems a $1,000 phone which is with us 24/7 shouldn't feel out of reach. It shows that we all have different priorities.
    Good point.
    Roon Rock | Ortofon Cadenza Black | Miyajima Zero | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio G3

Well, the way I see it is that I replace my $3000 Mac every couple of years, so I don't mind replacing a $1000 phone every year. And at this point, the phone is as useful, if not more, to me, than the computer!

I wonder, if the iPhone X would be usable for some woman:

Would she even be able to unlock it in the morning, with no makeup ? Maybe there should be 'makeup' and 'nomakeup' settings to unlock.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post

Would she even be able to unlock it in the morning, with no makeup ? Maybe there should be 'makeup' and 'nomakeup' settings to unlock.

Classic example of false advertising.
    Dan

Audioshark

The stock market is reacting to Apple's Meh-X phone. I had a stop limit set at $160. It's now hovering at $152 and heading down.

Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave. Steve made things exciting (although some products were truly flops). Tim Cook is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The sizzle is fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I had a Samsung S8+ until it got knicked while I was on a plane last month. Now I'm back using my old iPhone 6s and it has way less functionality compared to the S8+. Screen is not as big, as sharp and photos are mediocre. The only thing stopping me now is I use all Macs. Has Android managed to seamlessly back up with Macs? I didn't back up my samsung as a result and that was a big mistake. Now I look at the Note 8 and it much better and impressive even the iPhone X. Really iPhones have become boring but if I stick with Macs do I need to go back to the iPhone? Android and Mac users anyone?

howie

Apple no longer means innovation sadly. I dumped everything I had in them a long time ago. Wait till it hits 100, then watch it go to 80 is my bet; especially if they don't overturn their ecosystem as quickly as their competitor, Samsumg.

MacBook's are great -- but they can be a TON better. Apple has stopped listening to the market which made them and that's the professional graphics industry. Video as well. They've turned their backs on them all and everyone is jumping ship to PC for the pure power and flexibility.

Very sad indeed.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post

Is that really the same person?
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

That's some Hollywood makeup job. @ALL-Guys/Men: Be warned, women are deceptive. Get their masks off and you never know what you're going to take home LOL (JK for all the women out there -- just making fun of makeup; please don't flame me).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The stock market is reacting to Apple's Meh-X phone. I had a stop limit set at $160. It's now hovering at $152 and heading down.

Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave. Steve made things exciting (although some products were truly flops). Tim Cook is about as exciting as watching paint dry. The sizzle is fading.

Mike, I feel your pain. I was thinking of selling 1/4 of my Apple stock to finance new home expenses and then, poof, its $14 off its high.

The tax reform that never happened is not helping. I think Apple is parsimonious with dividends but then most of its cash is overseas.

Audioshark

I bought in at $96 and kept changing my stop limit. When it hit $162 ish, I changed my stop limit from $150 to $160. Then I saw it triggered a few days ago. Phew!

the meh-8 phone i think. the X reviews really haven't surfaced yet and will be a month away.

i died laughing when Cook said today several stores are "sold out" of the 8. there isn't a line to be had even in NYC.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    Apple no longer means innovation sadly. I dumped everything I had in them a long time ago. Wait till it hits 100, then watch it go to 80 is my bet; especially if they don't overturn their ecosystem as quickly as their competitor, Samsumg.

MacBook's are great -- but they can be a TON better. Apple has stopped listening to the market which made them and that's the professional graphics industry. Video as well. They've turned their backs on them all and everyone is jumping ship to PC for the pure power and flexibility.

Very sad indeed.
    Apple was hardly ever about innovation. None of their groundbreaking products were really innovations per se. They were revolutionary because they took existing technologies and made them easy to use, stable and conveninent.

MP3 players were dime-a-dozen when the iPod came out. See what it did to that market.

People were doing tablets for years, and Apple was, again, a late comer. See what the iPad did to that market.

Skype was doing video calls forever, and then Apple did Facetime. I haven't logged in Skype for years now.

I could go on and on. Touch ID? Done before. Even the face recognition thing was done before, but most likely, not done BETTER.

I don't have Apple stock, but it's well known that the stock dives right after ANY announcement, even during Steve's tenure. Apple has never, and likely will never match the expectations of the market, as the stock surges in the weeks before an announcement, and is subsequently adjusted later.

If you have stock, wait until they announce the next financial results, as the stock should bounce right back.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Bud.......That photo reminds me of the lyrics to Confederate Railroad's "Trashy Women"

You should have seen the looks on the faces of my dad and mom
    When I showed up at the door with my date for the senior prom
    They said, "Well, pardon us, son, she ain't no kid!
    That's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Pardon wig!"
    I said, "I know it, Dad. Ain't she cool! That's the kind I dig!"

Dan

The iPhone X introduction certainly doesn't appear to be helping Apple's stock value.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Apple was hardly ever about innovation. None of their groundbreaking products were really innovations per se. They were revolutionary because they took existing technologies and made them easy to use, stable and conveninent.

MP3 players were dime-a-dozen when the iPod came out. See what it did to that market.

People were doing tablets for years, and Apple was, again, a late comer. See what the iPad did to that market.

Skype was doing video calls forever, and then Apple did Facetime. I haven't logged in Skype for years now.

I could go on and on. Touch ID? Done before. Even the face recognition thing was done before, but most likely, not done BETTER.

I don't have Apple stock, but it's well known that the stock dives right after ANY announcement, even during Steve's tenure. Apple has never, and likely will never match the expectations of the market, as the stock surges in the weeks before an announcement, and is subsequently adjusted later.

If you have stock, wait until they announce the next financial results, as the stock should bounce right back.
    Off the top of my head I would guess in actual dollars I have made as much from my Apple stock as I have from all of my others equities combined. Thank you Apple.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Time to buy more apple !
    I bet Apple is purchasing their own stock back at a discounted rate this week.
    Avantgarde Zero 1 XD
    Aurender N100H
    Oppo BDP - 105D
    Sony A8F 65“ Drop dead gorgeous picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Toomey View Post
    Time to buy more apple !
    I bet Apple is purchasing their own stock back at a discounted rate this week.
    Really?

Back to the devices: from 7 onwards all iPhones will come with double glass, i.e. both front and back. Really bad idea, I’m not going there.

Audioshark

For the most part, Apple stock is down since the announcement. Even as a big Apple fan, I have to admit, the iPhone X is kind of "meh". I guess when my iPhone 7 dies, I'll get the latest and greatest, but there is really nothing appealing in the new phone to make me want to make a move sooner than I absolutely have to and in fact, I may even consider alternatives.

For the most part, Apple stock is down since the announcement. Even as a big Apple fan, I have to admit, the iPhone X is kind of "meh". I guess when my iPhone 7 dies, I'll get the latest and greatest, but there is really nothing appealing in the new phone to make me want to make a move sooner than I absolutely have to and in fact, I may even consider alternatives.
    +1. The Note 8 looks more appealing to me and you can add up to 2TB in storage!

Agree with Mike, I too have been an Apple fan since their inception. With an iPhone 7+, I just do not see any need for upgrades in the near future, besides I am trying to fund new DCS components

Now if you ask my kids, it's a whole different story.
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    I agree - I'm a big fan of IOS (still have my old iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) and a couple of iPads. That's why at this point I'm leaning towards a 64GB iPhone 8 plus to replace my iPhone 6 (which at the moment there is an available $200 credit and I'll think about it over the next few weeks). it gives me a bigger display, camera with a couple of more features (even vs. the iPhone 8). I don't need a UHD display. I don't use it for music. I guess it is for people who just have to be cutting edge. I am going to use it as a cell phone as you noted. I think I have my current iPhone 6 about 2.5 years. Just like a PC, they generally have rapid changes in the technology of cell phones. I don't need something like the iPhone X over the next few years. If the technology comes down price wise when I'm ready for another phone then I'm fine with it. For the price difference in the iPhone X vs. what I'm considering I could buy a 9.7 inch iPad for my main system (vs. the mini that I use) and have money left over.
    Sure they have rapid changes, but is it really worth the extra bucks? I mean can you justify the 1xxx price tag for maybe 10-15 % extra performance, and is the 10-15% extra performance really a must. My Samgsung S7 has a " Performance mode " but i haven't used it once, and why should I?

Comparing a mobile phone technology changes with a PC is IMHO not comparable. Sure it's both rapidly growing technology wise, but the steps PC wise is way larger than mobile
    Scansonic MB-1, Aavik U-300, Sony CD Player as transport, mixture of ansuz cables in different qualities, Ansuz Mainz X Power Distribution, Ansuz Power Distribution for DTC cables

Compared to Audio where to get the latest 3% of performance costs you double the cost, the new iPhone is a deal!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    Agree with Mike, I too have been an Apple fan since their inception. With an iPhone 7+, I just do not see any need for upgrades in the near future, besides I am trying to fund new DCS components

Now if you ask my kids, it's a whole different story.
    I agree. I went over all the options and costs a couple of days ago and opted for the 7+ and traded my 6 in.

For me it's very simple. The smartphone has become an indispensable tool that i (and many others) rely on tremendously. The fact that i can make a call on it is almost quaint. It is the go to device for communications, mapping, calendar, pictures, fun, you name it. $1,500 or so is really a small price to pay for something that is more powerful than the computers that put a man on the moon (assuming we actually went there ) and that is easy to use and fits in my hand. Sure there will always be other phones that do something better. But i have the entire eco system with ipads, imacs, etc....the integration rocks in my opinion.

Well, nothing against gadgets, but the Nokia 3110 - a very much not so smartphone launched twenty years ago - had more computing power than the Apollo system.

It think it might be about time to review that punchline iPhone X.

To my earlier point:

https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ipho...ource=facebook

Got mine yesterday. Fortunately, I've also got a case for it.

I'm not 100% sold on it. I really got used to the screen size of the "Plus" line, and the X is just... small... Feels weird with the different screen proportions...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

iPhone X