Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

What if digital had never happened?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: What if digital had never happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    if digital had never happened, we wouldn't be having this online discussion
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Audioshark

Good point, and what would all the people who said:

1) we don't need no stinkin' high res music! CD quality is all anyone needs. You can't hear beyond 16/44! Perfect sound forever. No one can hear beyond CD quality anyway.
    2) rip my CD's? Put a computer in my listening room? Blasphemy!
    3) we don't need no stinkin' DSD music! CD quality is all anyone needs. DSD is an archiving format, not a playback format! It's a terrible idea! (Source: https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=23096)
    4) we don't need no sinkin' MQA music! CD quality is all anyone needs. It's a money grab! A scam! A get rich scheme for Bob Stuart!

Hell, even digital has given the hardcore vinyl guys something to bitch about:

Attached Images Attached Images

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I only got this far into the article before I realized how stupid it was and exited. Maybe the author redeemed himself later.

"How much better might LPs sound today had analog technologies of recording, mixing, and mastering continued to advance? Who knows? Had digital been a nonstarter, the 300,000,000 folks (!) who bought Apple iPods might instead have bought 300,000,000 turntables and cartridges. Omigod—with economies of scale, turntable design might have progressed so far that today's budget Pro-Ject turntables would sound like Döhmann models, and affordable cartridges surpass even the best Lyras."

I guess the writer never heard of "portability". Does he have a turntable in his car?

Uh Mike, CDs are kind of digital.

Audioshark

Oh, I forgot HDCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Oh, I forgot HDCD.

All the Grateful Dead concerts that have been released in the last number of years have been in HDCD format. But I don’t know of any other label using it.

MQA is a great idea for streaming. But that’s about it. Give me DSD downloads any day. They generally sound the best.

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

I use my digits to place an album on the turntable, so what is all the fuss about.

if digital had never happened, I'd still be enjoying my LP's and CD's,

2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    All the Grateful Dead concerts that have been released in the last number of years have been in HDCD format. But I don’t know of any other label using it.

MQA is a great idea for streaming. But that’s about it. Give me DSD downloads any day. They generally sound the best.

although they are labeled "HDCD" in fact they haven't used any HDCD features since 2014, and even before that many of the GD releases didn't use the HDCD features, although some did.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    although they are labeled "HDCD" in fact they haven't used any HDCD features since 2014, and even before that many of the GD releases didn't use the HDCD features, although some did.
    They still advertise that it’s mastered in HDCD. The branding is on the packaging. I can’t imagine they’d do that if it wasn’t still being used.

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    They still advertise that it’s mastered in HDCD. The branding is on the packaging. I can’t imagine they’d do that if it wasn’t still being used.

what you imagine and what is are apparently different. Foobar 2000 is free; it has a plug-in for HDCD which can be set to indicate when and whether the HDCD features are being used. Or use the HDCD plug-in for dBPoweramp and look at the ripped files in Audacity or another audio editor.
    Rob

what you imagine and what is are apparently different. Foobar 2000 is free; it has a plug-in for HDCD which can be set to indicate when and whether the HDCD features are being used. Or use the HDCD plug-in for dBPoweramp and look at the ripped files in Audacity or another audio editor.
    If you use the Windows version of dbPoweramp, with HDCD detection selected, to rip an HDCD, it will indicate upon completion of the rip whether or not the CD truly has an HDCD layer.
    Anthony
    Analog: Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    If you use the Windows version of dbPoweramp, with HDCD detection selected, to rip an HDCD, it will indicate upon completion of the rip whether or not the CD truly has an HDCD layer.
    The issue isn't whether or not the CD has the HDCD "flag" (that can be added to any file processed in the Pacific Microsonics DAW), it is whether or not any of the HDCD features (Peak Extend and Low Level Range Extend) are used. Foobar 2000 will tell you that, but if you use dBPoweramp, you need to analyze the file in an audio editor to know.
    Rob

The issue isn't whether or not the CD has the HDCD "flag" (that can be added to any file processed in the Pacific Microsonics DAW), it is whether or not any of the HDCD features (Peak Extend and Low Level Range Extend) are used. Foobar 2000 will tell you that, but if you use dBPoweramp, you need to analyze the file in an audio editor to know.
    I don't dispute that, but I do know that in all instances when I have ripped an HDCD using dbPoweramp, the resulting file is 24 bit. In contrast, some HDCD-labeled discs trigger(ed) the HDCD indicators on some CD players even if the disc did not contain a true HDCD layer.
    Anthony
    Analog: Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I don't dispute that, but I do know that in all instances when I have ripped an HDCD using dbPoweramp, the resulting file is 24 bit. In contrast, some HDCD-labeled discs trigger(ed) the HDCD indicators on some CD players even if the disc did not contain a true HDCD layer.
    It's a purely artificial 24 bits; at best, HDCD gives you 17 bits, but that is not a supported format, so 24 bits is the default. If Peak Extend and Low Level Range Extend are not enabled during encoding (and for the vast majority of HDCD's, they are not), you will end up (after ripping and "decoding" HDCD) with a digital file that is identical to the "undecoded" one, IOW one ripped without enabling HDCD in dBPoweramp (assuming you rip the CD to 24bits both times, or open the 16 bit file in the audio editor as a 24bit file). Try it yourself, you will see.

BTW. it is not an HDCD "layer"; there is only one fileset on the CD (that's all Redbook allows for). It is a codec, and there is a "flag" encoded in the LSB, typically once about every 5 seconds, which triggers the decoder.
    Rob

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What if digital had never happened?