Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...

On the recommendation of a few friends and several stellar reviews, I took the plunge. It shipped yesterday and I was able to pick it up this morning and hook it up before work.

Two words and it's not even broken in yet. Holy cr@p! Simply amazing!

Absolutely love the fit and finish. I love the see-through top too.

It has only been barely an hour or so, but OMG - it has air, depth and dimension. Tubes really make the music. I'll give it a few days through to the weekend and be more critical but already I know it's a keeper.

I love it. This is so alive sounding. I am listening and smiling.

Another sanely priced piece that defies logic. I can only imagine how the amps sound

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...

The amp is reviewed in the latest Stereophile - fairly lukewarm review compared with the preamp.

I hope LTA has fixed their QC woes. Sounds like your unit has no issues which is great.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Thanks, I'll take a look. I'm using it strictly as a preamp into my MC303 and I'm pretty ecstatic with the combo.

So far it's great and feels well made.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    The amp is reviewed in the latest Stereophile - fairly lukewarm review compared with the preamp.

I hope LTA has fixed their QC woes. Sounds like your unit has no issues which is great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Interesting. Keep us posted. I had an eye on this pre from some time now.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

Will do. So far I am pretty impressed. I'll be back listening in about 4-5 hours. I did not leave it on this time but want to get more familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Interesting. Keep us posted. I had an eye on this pre from some time now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Congrats Joe! Now you need some Avantgarde's to go with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

YES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats Joe! Now you need some Avantgarde's to go with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, did you get the linear power supply or are you using the default switch mode PSU ?

Super Moderator

Yes, linear power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Joe, did you get the linear power supply or are you using the default switch mode PSU ?

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's cool. Just curious, how did you decide you need the linear PSU ?
    Since I am also considering this preamp I want to know your preferences.

Secondly which other preamps do you think it competes with or beats ?

Super Moderator

As far as the power supply goes, I know from other gear that I have or have had that the power supply is extremely important. A great stable power supply can make a piece of gear even better. I wanted the "best" and with all the options, it was "only" $2100. I know of a few others who LOVE these preamp/headphone amps. You can always add it later if you want it.

I am going to go out on a limb and say it competes nicely with preamps several times what they are charging. I still need to break it in and I have some tubes to roll but already it is showing that it's a killer piece.

It has that 3D, air, depth and openness that let you see into the sound stage. It has a nice tone to it also, yet it's still a little light and airy. I think with different/better tubes, it could be perfect. I know I sound like a broken record on some of this gear, but this is truly a wonderful preamp. I am not a headphone guy but I may have to eventually try a pair.

That's cool. Just curious, how did you decide you need the linear PSU ?
    Since I am also considering this preamp I want to know your preferences.

Secondly which other preamps do you think it competes with or beats ?
    Last edited by joeinid; September 14, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

hmmmm... you think that would sweeten up the mids in my Nords Joe? Make a great soundstage even better?
    Tidal/Roon>exaSound Playpoint>exaSound e22>Marchand XM44>Nord OneUp NC500 x2>Magneplaner 3.6r: Wireworld digital, Audio Zen Silver reference II XLR, Audio Zen Satori speaker cables, Transparent Plus & Audio Sensibility Statement XLR's, Transparent Plus speaker cables, Audio Sensibility Testament power cords, Solid Tech reference rack, Feet of silence, Mye Stands, Plixir BDC linear power supply, RCPC Pro 400, Audio Magic Stealth power conditioner, Hubbell outlets & dedicated lines, DIY RPG and N11 Quadratic diffusors and Primacoustic absorption panels

Super Moderator

Great question. I think it would be a great combo. I think they give a 15 day trial for their gear. It will DEFINITELY bring up the performance of the Nords NO DOUBT. But, it's RCA single ended only and you'd need an adapter or proper cable. I am not a big fan of either.

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    hmmmm... you think that would sweeten up the mids in my Nords Joe? Make a great soundstage even better?

NAD C 658 streamer.

I am actually choosing between the job pre2 and the linear tube audio zotl preamp. Both are highly regarded for being cheap yet fully matured preamps.

Joe, what do you think about the sound difference between these 2 preamps ?

Super Moderator

While I love Job and all their gear, the Pre2 is not up to the level of the LTA Micro Zotl, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Primaluna preamp or similar. Yes, the Pre2 is a great no nonsense preamp but not audiophile in sound like the others I've mentioned. The only thing I'd be a little concerned with is that the gain is a little bit higher on the Micro Zotl compared to the others. Yes, I am lower on the volume scale with the Micro Zotl but that doesn't seem to be that big of a deal considering how amazing it sounds. I do have 12AU7 tubes to roll into it and that should reduce the gain a little.

There is no doubt in my mind that this Micro Zotl can beat some $10K preamps and maybe some that cost more.

The Pre2 does not have the 3D, air, openness and specific vocal and instrument placement of the LTA Micro Zotl.

I am actually choosing between the job pre2 and the linear tube audio zotl preamp. Both are highly regarded for being cheap yet fully matured preamps.

Joe, what do you think about the sound difference between these 2 preamps ?
    Last edited by joeinid; September 15, 2017 at 04:23 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    While I love Job and all their gear, the Pre2 is not up to the level of the LTA Micro Zotl, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Primaluna preamp or similar. Yes, the Pre2 is a great no nonsense preamp but not audiophile in sound like the others I've mentioned. The only thing I'd be a little concerned with is that the gain is a little bit higher on the Micro Zotl compared to the others. Yes, I am lower on the volume scale with the Micro Zotl but that doesn't seem to be that big of a deal considering how amazing it sounds. I do have 12AU7 tubes to roll into it and that should reduce the gain a little.

There is no doubt in my mind that this Micro Zotl can beat some $10K preamps and maybe some that cost more.

The Pre2 does not have the 3D, air, openness and specific vocal and instrument placement of the LTA Micro Zotl.
    Thanks Joe, that really made my decision simple.
    I once asked Berning why he does not use linear PSU, he said it is not possible for ZOTL phenomena to work with linear PSUs. So, I wonder how LTA is able to do it.

Super Moderator

I'm not sure but whatever's going on is undeniable. It's almost 5:40am here and I'm still awake listening to music. With almost 10 hours on the unit, it's already changed a little for the better. Smoothing out, waking up, relaxing more and just a little more musical. I'm happy.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm not sure but whatever's going on is undeniable. It's almost 5:40am here and I'm still awake listening to music. With almost 10 hours on the unit, it's already changed a little for the better. Smoothing out, waking up, relaxing more and just a little more musical. I'm happy.
    I was about to ask, when do you sleep
    By the way, which power cord and interconnects do you use ?

I ask about PC and IC because they can make or break the musicality quite easily

Super Moderator

I was too excited to hook it up so I used my Belden 8402 IC. One meter to my PS Audio Directstream and two meters to my McIntosh MC303.

I'm using Job Sweetcords on both the amp and preamp and a Shunyata digital AC cord (forgot exactly what name) on my DAC.

I will try my Kimber Kable Select copper cables on amp and preamp in a few days to hear the difference.

I was about to ask, when do you sleep
    By the way, which power cord and interconnects do you use ?
    I ask about PC and IC because they can make or break the musicality quite easily

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I work 4pm to 12am so I'm pretty flexible. Night time is the absolute best time for music. The world is relatively quiet and AC is better.

NAD C 658 streamer.

That AC thingie makes me envious

Super Moderator

That AC thingie makes me envious

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, quick question. Does the microZOTL have a switch on-thump? Which of your other pre-amps have you compared this with? Thanks.

Super Moderator

The manual states "If you are using the MZ2 as a preamp, it is best to have your power amp off (and necessary to have it off if it is a DC-coupled amp) when powering on
    and connecting the MZ2, to avoid off/on transients."

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...anual+revE.pdf

I always turn the MZ2 preamp on first with the volume knob all the way down, wait a minute and then switch on the amp. I have not experienced any thumps, noise or any weirdness. It's silent too.

I love this and would probably choose it over everything I've tried unless a solid state pre is a necessity. As long as 3 RCA inputs and 1 RCA output is ok for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    Joe, quick question. Does the microZOTL have a switch on-thump? Which of your other pre-amps have you compared this with? Thanks.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, since microZOTL was designed as a 1 watt amp, have you tried using it as an integrated amp till now ? Do they give speaker outputs ?

Super Moderator

It has speaker outputs but I have not tried them. I guess I could dig out my Klipsch speakers and try it. I am curious.

Joe, since microZOTL was designed as a 1 watt amp, have you tried using it as an integrated amp till now ? Do they give speaker outputs ?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Well, you may be surprised that even with your current speakers it is not going to sound weak. It may actually give you a perspective of something even better.

Joe

You should reasonable volume out of the 4367's or even the 4312's.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Jack,

This MZ2 is absolutely awesome. I'll have to try it as an integrated.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Glad the Micro is as good as you heard. I know moving around those big speakers is no treat so no rush to try the 4367's. Will be interesting when you try the high sensitivity Job's or Triode's if you have to swap the AT's for AU's to lower the gain. If you still have the Raytheon's they should work great. If not I've got others and I think a couple of pair of NOS AT's I bought for something a few years back and never used them.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

The Raytheons are in the Triodes. Love them. MZ2 should be great with the Triodes. I have lots of experimenting to do

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

The MZ2 and my MC303 is a killer combo. Playing on the Strads is a new and wonderful experience. Color me impressed.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe, have you tried the MicroZotl and your job monos? Are they a good match? Looking at going that route to pair with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty.

Super Moderator

I haven't tried that combo yet. My brother in CT has my Job monos and he's buying them. I'll need to order a replacement once he pays in full.

I am sure it will be a superb match, most likely with 12AU7 tubes to lower the gain a bit.

This MZ2 is outstanding. Paired with the Job monos, will be a game changer.

ps, I'm still up listening. Damn, looks like the sun is about to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Hi Joe, have you tried the MicroZotl and your job monos? Are they a good match? Looking at going that route to pair with my Ayre QX-5 Twenty.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 17, 2017 at 05:27 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I guess I could dig out my Klipsch speakers and try it. I am curious.
    By all means do ! I'm curious as well.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

We spent the last hour of AXPONA this year playing around with the MicroZotl on a pair of Destination Audio horn speakers. The little amp it's a pisser indeed. Very clean and linear piece. It was entertaining seeing that little piece energize the room.

It is a solid component I'd love to take another spin of that piece.

I can echo all of the positives that Joe has put out there about the Micro ZOTL MZ22 as a preamp. It's a mind boggling bargain. I personally know of three $20k preamps that it has replaced in peoples systems and if you look at the reviews, more have fallen to it with various reviewers. Terry London, a noted reviewer who covers high end stereo components said it was not only better than the outstanding Backert Rhythym 1.1 preamp, a unit he loved in his review($7,500.00), but that is also outperformed and replaced his previous Concert Fidelity and Purity Audio preamps, that go for $24,000 and $30,000 respectively.

The life this preamp brings an incredible light and energy to music, and there is air and spaciousness that is simply stunning. It just sounds so purely musical that every time I listen to my system I am thankful for having added this magical unit. I was looking at some preamps that were three or more times the price of the MZ22 and have dropped any further considerations. It is that good!

JC

As a secondary note, I have neither tried the MZ22 as an integrated amp, nor likely will I, so I cannot comment on that. I do not own (or could likely afford) any speakers with a high enough sensitivity to try.

Someone mentioned earlier the recent review of one of the David Berning designed power amplifiers in Stereophile. I read that also, and was very surprised by the relatively poor showing it made.

JC

Super Moderator

Right now, my most efficient speakers are my various Klipsch bookshelf speakers. While they claim a very high efficiency eg. 94-96dB, I think that is an optimistic number. The MZ2 wants at least a 98+dB efficient speaker as an output. I tried my Klipsch speakers and while I got sound, it was not bad (background music only) but you can definitely tell with a few more watts or a more efficient speaker, this preamp/amp and I am sure the MZ10 and MZ40 would be awesome.

I had already popped in 12AU7 tubes to lower gain, but we are still talking .5 to 1 watt per channel. I think over 100dB speakers are required for a satisfactory listening experience.

On another note, no pun intended, this MZ2 is absolutely outstanding as a preamp.

With the 12AU7, it's perfect for me and works great with my MC303, Job 250 monos. Killer pre for the money.

It has speaker outputs but I have not tried them. I guess I could dig out my Klipsch speakers and try it. I am curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    By all means do ! I'm curious as well.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 24, 2017 at 01:03 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The guys at LTA is super professional and excellent customer service! I've had the LTA MZ-2s and returned them before the trial period was over. They are very neutral/transparent and dynamic; very good preamp. But I wasn't that impressed coming from Melody preamp (which is a different class of their own).

I recently acquired a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. Haven't spent enough time with and the system has changed a bit since I had the MZ2s. But, my subjective impression is Don Sachs preamp is more impressive and musical than MZ2s.

Super Moderator

Always appreciate alternative opinions.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Genjamon from AudioCircle, had both MZ2 and Don Sachs around the same time I believe. He preferred and kept the Don Sachs preamp. But I won't be surprised if someone preferred MZ2 over Don S.

Super Moderator

I just added Mullard 12AU7's and it really sweetens up, glorious mids and ever so slightly rounded top. Just like I like it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I wish I had done that! These days one can have world class preamp like Don Sachs or LTA under $2k. Only if everyone knew, many other well known brands would struggle to sell their unit or had to up their game.

Super Moderator

Is my LTA MZ2 perfect? Probably not, but I have to say that, right now, it's perfect for me.

I love this thing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Interesting comments on the Don Sachs preamp. I came across that only recently and was not previously aware of it, but the way he builds them and willl add what you want for options (capacitators etc.) is unique. It's certainly something I would take a look at were I also not as happy with my MZ22s, as Joe is.

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    The guys at LTA is super professional and excellent customer service! I've had the LTA MZ-2s and returned them before the trial period was over. They are very neutral/transparent and dynamic; very good preamp. But I wasn't that impressed coming from Melody preamp (which is a different class of their own).

I recently acquired a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. Haven't spent enough time with and the system has changed a bit since I had the MZ2s. But, my subjective impression is Don Sachs preamp is more impressive and musical than MZ2s.

Super Moderator

My LTA MZ2 can be ordered with an optional remote. I have to have a remote and clicked the option. I didn’t realize until it showed up that it comes with an Apple Remote. Small, lightweight and works perfectly for adjusting volume up/down. Love this thing more everyday day.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...