Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...

Interesting discussion. I was thinking about ordering an MZ2 to try. But now I am rethinking a Don Sachs. I actually talked with him last year at this time and had him price one up with Jupiter and Deulund caps. It came out to be about $3500. I was thinking about using it to replace my BAT. I am thinking about selling the BAT due to its age before something goes wrong. My issue with the DS's and MZ2 is that my system is fully balanced and they are single ended and I would lose about 6dB. I just may bite the bullet and order one.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

If you do order Don’s preamp, please let us know how much you like it. I have been reading up on it since seeing it was talked about here. Looks great and have not seen a negative word about it.

I’m running my MZ2 with my Triodes tonight and smiling at the combo. It drives the Triodes wonderfully and has the S.E.T. 3D sound that I love. As good as solid state is now, tubes kick SS @ss.

I’m also curious about Don’s amp. I bet it really nice too.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

To all those who preferred something else to the MZ2, did they try the linear PSU with the MZ2 ?

If I order the M2Z with a silver faceplate, does the power supply also come with a silver faceplate?

Super Moderator

No, the PS is black. I have the silver face and absolutely love my MZ2.

I ordered the 4’ cable for the power supply so you can place it out of the way.
    Last edited by joeinid; October 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe, you're killing me - I'm thinking of just using the built in volume if I get the Lumin S1 until Don's preamp comes. Am I ridiculous to spend $2100 on a preamp that I'm just going to use for a few weeks?

Super Moderator

I am sure that once you hear the MZ2, broken in, you will not want/need Don's preamp

Attached Images Attached Images

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

Considering I'm going to be using the X350.8, would you recommend changing the small signal tubes to 12AU7?

Super Moderator

I do not think that is necessary. I went for a sweeter 12AU7 in addition to having a lower gain. I am sure they 350.8 will be perfect with the MZ2.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    Joe,

Considering I'm going to be using the X350.8, would you recommend changing the small signal tubes to 12AU7?

NAD C 658 streamer.

I ordered one. It should be here by next week about the time the X350.8 rolls in. Still have no digital front end, but we'll deal with that.

I figure I'll use it until the Don Sachs Pre 2 gets here and then I'll sell it...

...or order a pair of Avantgardes to use with it

Super Moderator

OMG! AGs and MZ2 would be freaking awesome!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Looking forward to your comparison between the MicroZotl and the Model 2 preamps. There have up to now be different opinions as to which one was preferred.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I have my MicroZotl2.0s. Running a couple of Odyssey Kismet Monos. Using an Aurender A10 as a source the sound is sublime. Just upgraded to Audience Au24SX interconnects and you can really hear how good this preamp is As Joe mentions it has a ton of gain as I can only get volume to 9 o'clock. If Joe can chime in,how much more range did you get with the tube swap?
    Russ
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

Super Moderator

I get to about 10-11 o’clock on the dial with the 12AU7 tubes. It’s an awesome preamp and I love mine. I am ecstatic to find this little baby and only took a chance based on a recommendation from slapshot aka Jeff here on the forum. Boy was he right. I am so grateful. It’s not as “sweet” as SET but just about perfect.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, which 12au7 tubes are you using ?

Super Moderator

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/product...-new-old-stock

I absolutely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pani View Post
    Joe, which 12au7 tubes are you using ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

https://tubedepot.com/products/mullard-cv4003-12au7

These are on sale until noon today, I believe.

NAD C 658 streamer.

These are on the pre-amp side correct? . Just need 1?
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

Super Moderator

Two, left and right channel.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Duh! thanks

I have the Linear tube audio MicroZOTL2 preamp at home now. I bought it with the linear power supply option. This is an absolutely phenomenal thing. It replaced a $16k Audio Note M6 preamp. I have absolutely no regrets I sold the AN. This LTA preamp is better than the AN in many areas already. The AN might have a little more tonal saturation and holographic quality but after listening to LTA preamp I find the AN to be colored and voiced in many ways. I have also tried it as an integrated amp with my 93db Tannoys. While one should not expect a lot from 1 watt, it actually drove the Tannoys without clipping. Just that it did not have the dynamics and power of music that a good 20 watt amp would have with my speakers. But then it's speed, timing, tonal purity and overall neutrality is something that I have seldom heard. That's why when it plays as an amp the music is very enjoyable and one would be totally drawn into the music than analyzing it. I don't think I will need another preamp for a long long time regardless of the power amp used. Unless of course if Berning/LTA comes with an even better preamp later. Here is a review of this masterpiece where it is compared with a $30k Wavac EC-300B and Pass xa30.8.

http://theaudiobeatnik.com/index.php...erence-system/

Thanks @joeinid for promoting it so well Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...

Super Moderator

I am so happy that you love it. Mine is outstanding in my system. It was recommended to me by someone that I trust very much and he was 100% correct. It was easy to recommend. Thank you for posting your thoughts above.

Thanks @joeinid for promoting it so well Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...

NAD C 658 streamer.

By the way I also had the Lamm LL2, Shindo Masseto and Auriges at home and none of them is in anyway clearly better than the LTA preamp.

Super Moderator

That's awesome.

By the way I also had the Lamm LL2, Shindo Masseto and Auriges at home and none of them is in anyway clearly better than the LTA preamp.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I am intrigued by Pani's report on the Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL2 preamp. I too tried this preamp at home and compared it to the Shindo Masseto I owned at the time. In these comparisons, so much depends on our system, and the way we listen to music. I thought this preamp was incredible given its price. But in terms of pure musical enjoyment, the far more expensive Masseto was still my preference for the reasons Pani lists above - tonal saturation, holographic quality, harmonics, liquidity, flow, decay of notes, tonal warmth. The LTA MicroZOTL2 was more transparent, but in a cool way that I found slightly less appealing. What would be interesting is to compare an LTA MicroZOTL2 vs a MFA Baby Reference V2. My money would be on the Baby Ref V2.

I really like the thought of this little guy. I like the idea of basic no frill preamps....

I just wish it had two outputs (to go to my amplifier and the subs). I can move cables between the amps, but the sub needs it's own output ....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

If the new sub has speaker level inputs then problem solved plus better integration that way.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Randy

If the new sub has speaker level inputs then problem solved plus better integration that way.

I agree...
    Fate ain’t just who’s cookin smells good but which way the wind blows...

Mac Mini w/ linear power supply, Ayre QB-9 DSD, PS Audio BHK Signature, Mcintosh MC402, Joseph Audio RM33le, Magnapan 3.6r, Velodyne FSX12
    Mac Pro, Kef X300A Wireless, B&W ASW-608
    ...endless tubes, cables and tweaks...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I really like the thought of this little guy. I like the idea of basic no frill preamps....

I just wish it had two outputs (to go to my amplifier and the subs). I can move cables between the amps, but the sub needs it's own output ....
    LTA will build you one with two outputs if you're happy to lose the speaker outputs.

Well then that opens it up as a possibility for a lot more people and something they should advertise as an option on the website.

Has anyone heard anything suggesting they have plans to offer a dedicated preamp in the near future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Super Moderator

I have not heard anything, but I’d be inclined to buy one based on what I’m hearing now.

Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Has anyone heard anything suggesting they have plans to offer a dedicated preamp in the near future?

NAD C 658 streamer.

David had one that has already been built and sold for a short time but it has been out of production for a while. It ran over 4 times the cost of the MZ2. So if they wanted to climb into the higher market place they could just get the rights to produce it. When trying to sell to a certain market segment producing tested designs like they are doing now is more feasible than R&D for something different.

http://davidberning.com/products/preone

Well if you replace the binding posts with a second set of outputs then it just becomes a preamp with a headphone jack like many others we have all used and makes it even a more attractive option.

Thanks for the info Jack.

My only real concern is the lack of pop suppression on startup and shutoff that David Berning mentions in the posted video. I don't want to worry about startup sequence. It's not a deal breaker but not ideal either. I want things to be as simple as possible for my girlfriend and dad who like to listen.

I actually would be excited to see what the one watt output could do connected to my 99db sensitive Klipsch Forte's, but am interested in their amps as well.

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Don't have any idea about the lack or effect of the startup mute sequence. Joe and some of the other owners would have to speak to that. There are a lot more owners of the MZ2 over on Audio Circle especially in the Omega speakers forum where the preamp and the ZOTL10 amp seem to be a popular combo with Louis' speakers. Also you can shot an e-mail to the multiple reviewers who tested and then bought it. My hesitation in trying one is that my currently preferred BHK amp is not particularly found of SE preamps. If I had a speaker that would work I would love to try the combo of the MZ2 as a preamp and the Coincident Dynamo SE Mk II amp. It would work with my Spatial Triode Master speakers in a smaller room but not in my 22 x 26 x 10 Family Room that also opens into the Kitchen.

My email conversations with Mark suggested they've got plenty of ideas, but not really my place to comment on these in a forum. He responds very promptly to emails though.

Super Moderator

I always make a point to turn on the MZ2 first with the volume all the way down. Give it a minute or so, then turn on the amp. I can see where having the amp on and then turning on the MZ2 could generate a little surprise. I came close once but the timing was in my favor. You need to be careful.

I’m not sure the 1wpc will be enough to power the Fortes for anything more than low level background music. I tried on my Klipsch speakers and was disappointed. Now if I had Cornwalls or Klipschorns, I think the outcome might be different.

Thanks for the info Jack.

My only real concern is the lack of pop suppression on startup and shutoff that David Berning mentions in the posted video. I don't want to worry about startup sequence. It's not a deal breaker but not ideal either. I want things to be as simple as possible for my girlfriend and dad who like to listen.

I actually would be excited to see what the one watt output could do connected to my 99db sensitive Klipsch Forte's, but am interested in their amps as well.

Last edited by joeinid; December 21, 2017 at 06:25 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    The guys at LTA is super professional and excellent customer service! I've had the LTA MZ-2s and returned them before the trial period was over. They are very neutral/transparent and dynamic; very good preamp. But I wasn't that impressed coming from Melody preamp (which is a different class of their own).

I recently acquired a Don Sachs Model 2 preamp. Haven't spent enough time with and the system has changed a bit since I had the MZ2s. But, my subjective impression is Don Sachs preamp is more impressive and musical than MZ2s.
    What kind of amp and speakers are you using?
    Fate ain’t just who’s cookin smells good but which way the wind blows...

Mac Mini w/ linear power supply, Ayre QB-9 DSD, PS Audio BHK Signature, Mcintosh MC402, Joseph Audio RM33le, Magnapan 3.6r, Velodyne FSX12
    Mac Pro, Kef X300A Wireless, B&W ASW-608
    ...endless tubes, cables and tweaks...

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    LTA will build you one with two outputs if you're happy to lose the speaker outputs.
    Now that is an idea. If funds become available (Audio Research amp sells) I might just do that. I hooked up the ARC last night... nice amp, especially with the Gold Lion tubes, but I think I like the convenience of the Goldmund for my use a little better.... plus, I totally blame Joe, but I got to keep trying different stuff ....

The new sub has some speaker wire plug thing (I have not seen it yet so unclear how it works), but it looks rather hooky. I looks like an after thought. I think their subs are really meant to be line level inputs.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

The speaker level inputs work no different than the line level ones. If the method was a "hooky afterthought" companies like REL and Vandersteen would not have been doing it for decades. It doesn't need or require the level of cables you use on your Main speakers. The cable many companies ship for that use is nothing more than basic Monster cable used by HT installers. I have just used whatever spares I had around.

I am referring to what is shown in the KEF manual, not speaker level in general. I know companies like REL prefer speaker level .... I have not seen the setup with the KEF yet (the sub has not arrived yet and I am waiting but do not know when it is coming ). All I was referring to is the speaker level connection shown in the KEF manual looks very hooky...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

I agree with you about the KEF issue as from looking at the photo's and their less than helpful manual it is hard to tell if those are pin connectors or just flush mount banana jacks. Either is doable though.

Yea, great speakers but kind of useless manuals....

I think the best choice is if they will build one with two outputs... that would make it into a true pre-amp and really solve my issue (accept coming up with the funds )

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier/Headphone Amplifier ...